leaping over linemen to block Fg's

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn supports proposed rule change to prohibit defenders leaping to block field goals

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Vanderbilt's Zach Cunningham, right, blocks a field goal attempt of Auburn's Daniel Carlson after he hurdled the line of scrimmage in the second half of an NCAA college football game in Auburn, Ala. The NCAA rules committee has proposed making hurdling over linemen to block a kick illegal and expanding what constitutes a horse-collar tackle. It decided against tinkering with the targeting rule to eliminate the ejection penalty for some of the fouls. (Todd J. Van Emst/Opelika-Auburn News via AP) (Todd J. Van Emst)

Gus Malzahn will be glad if the proposed NCAA rule change to prohibit defensive players from hurdling the line of scrimmage on field goal and PAT attempts is approved.

Auburn went from sealing a victory to needing a Josh Holsey interception to beat Vanderbilt due to such a play by Commodores linebacker Zach Cunningham last season.

"I'm glad we don't have that play anymore," Malzahn said. "What stands out to me about that play - first of all, he made an unbelievable, physical play. When he did it, you just think something's got to be illegal about it and there was nothing illegal about it, it was just a great play. But I'm glad that it's illegal now."

In November, Malzahn said Auburn was going to practice the play and that he expected other teams to do so as well.

Currently, defensive players can legally leap offensive linemen if they don't land on another player. The rule proposal still needs to be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which meets April 19.

The NFL is also examining eliminating the play, which has been performed in increasing frequency, including by former Auburn linebacker Daren Bates has done it multiple times when he was with the then-St. Louis Rams.

As an official for over 20 years, I say this rule is already in the rule book.  HURDLING is ILLEGAL by anybody except a ball carrier.  If the snapper has already released the ball, then no part of his body is touching the field except his feet.  Leaping feet first over an opponent with only  his feet in contact with the ground is the definition of hurdling.  If the snapper still has the ball, his hands are still likely off the ground with the leap occurs.  If not, its offsides anyway.    This is hurdling by definition and is already a penalty.  There really doesn't need to be a new rule added for this, but I'm glad the rule committee is looking into clarifying it.  

I agree based on your explanations  and links when this happened. Why is it not acknowledged by sec? Is there a way for you to bring this up to them to get an answer on the current rule. 

14 hours ago, alexava said:

I agree based on your explanations  and links when this happened. Why is it not acknowledged by sec? Is there a way for you to bring this up to them to get an answer on the current rule. 

I have no idea why they aren't already saying it's illegal.  I would love to hear Steve Shaw provide an explanation on this and cite the rule reference that they are using to say its currently legal.  I don't see anything in the rule book to support it being legal.     I wish there was a way to bring it up but we as fans have zero contact with that aspect of the game. 

I think leaping over a linemen to block Fg's should banned. But a DB still does it, then that should flagged for 15 yards.

What if hurdling is made illegal for even ball carriers? This would have a dramatic effect on the entire game. Just think about the ripple effect this would have on the game. I know this is never going to happen. But what if? I have always thought that it would be fun to see American football to take a play out of the CFL by having a running back or receiver in full speed motion when they get the ball. 

Gus would have a field day with this that would have devastating effects on defenses. This will never happen, but what if? Then what about hurling on the field?

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

What if hurdling is made illegal for even ball carriers? This would have a dramatic effect on the entire game. Just think about the ripple effect this would have on the game. I know this is never going to happen. But what if? I have always thought that it would be fun to see American football to take a play out of the CFL by having a running back or receiver in full speed motion when they get the ball. 

Gus would have a field day with this that would have devastating effects on defenses. This will never happen, but what if? Then what about hurling on the field?

It's already illegal at the high school level.  It wouldn't have any affect on the game at all.  It's rare to see even a ball carrier hurdle somebody.

If this passes, put the Princes on Special Teams as defensive guards. With their height and reach, maybe they can block some FG attempts.

Your interpretation of the rule cannot work and that is why it is not illegal. When a lineman goes to cut a defensive lineman or a linebacker that defender can and does jump over the blocker. That is not illegal and is not hurdling. Saying they cannot jump over but must stand on ground and be blocked makes no sense. Also what about a linebacker leaping to meet a ballcarrier trying to jump over the pile for a first down or touchdown. That is also not illegal. if made illegal all you have to do is tell the ballcarrier to hurdle the line high enough and no defender can leave their feet to tackle him. Not the rule and shouldn't be the rule. We have too many rules. Leave the game alone and let them play. If a player is that athletic have the center raise up. Anyway the play was not illegal before but appears it will be now. Just like the stupid horse collar rule. Basically you cannot tackle somebody who is in front of you unless you can wrap your arms around them.

6 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Your interpretation of the rule cannot work and that is why it is not illegal. When a lineman goes to cut a defensive lineman or a linebacker that defender can and does jump over the blocker. That is not illegal and is not hurdling. Saying they cannot jump over but must stand on ground and be blocked makes no sense. Also what about a linebacker leaping to meet a ballcarrier trying to jump over the pile for a first down or touchdown. That is also not illegal. if made illegal all you have to do is tell the ballcarrier to hurdle the line high enough and no defender can leave their feet to tackle him. Not the rule and shouldn't be the rule. We have too many rules. Leave the game alone and let them play. If a player is that athletic have the center raise up. Anyway the play was not illegal before but appears it will be now. Just like the stupid horse collar rule. Basically you cannot tackle somebody who is in front of you unless you can wrap your arms around them.

To be fair, this has been argued ad nauseam a few months ago, the legal rule being explicitly posted. It won't matter, the bottom line, the Kid from Vandy did it, with such an impression that CGM pushed to practice it.  I thought it was a good and fair play, if done right. 

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

It's already illegal at the high school level.  It wouldn't have any affect on the game at all.  It's rare to see even a ball carrier hurdle somebody.

It would have a huge effect on me.  That's the one part of any game my wife has ever specifically told me she likes, when a runner hurdles a defender.

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I definitely think "hurling" on the field should be illegal ?. jk Doc. Autocorrect is aggravating sometimes. On hurdling, I don't really care that much whether it is allowed or not. To me it's one of those things where if my team does it then it's awesome but if the opponent does it then not so much. I don't like guys flipping into the endzone from the two yard line but when Tre Smith did it against Florida I was loving it. 

7 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Thanks WT!  Didn't David Irons leap over a defender on a huge run? Not sure of this, but I seem to thank he did. I loved watching him run. He kind of reminded me of Ronnie Brown.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Thanks WT!  Didn't David Irons leap over a defender on a huge run? Not sure of this, but I seem to thank he did. I loved watching him run. He kind of reminded me of Ronnie Brown.

David was a defender..

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Thanks WT!  Didn't Kenny Irons leap over a defender on a huge run? Not sure of this, but I seem to thank he did. I loved watching him run. He kind of reminded me of Ronnie Brown.

Fixed it for you, Doc!

8 hours ago, auol72 said:

Your interpretation of the rule cannot work and that is why it is not illegal. When a lineman goes to cut a defensive lineman or a linebacker that defender can and does jump over the blocker. That is not illegal and is not hurdling. You are correct, BUT that's not what we are talking about here.  We aren't talking about linemen cutting here. Saying they cannot jump over but must stand on ground and be blocked makes no sense. Nobody said this either.  Also what about a linebacker leaping to meet a ballcarrier trying to jump over the pile for a first down or touchdown. That is also not illegal. You are right, its not illegal. It also doesn't fit the definition of hurdling and isn't what we are talking about  here.   if made illegal all you have to do is tell the ballcarrier to hurdle the line high enough and no defender can leave their feet to tackle him. NO, because a ball carrier diving forward over an opponent to get a first down IS NOT hurdling and its not illegal.  Not the rule and shouldn't be the rule. We have too many rules. Leave the game alone and let them play. If a player is that athletic have the center raise up. Anyway the play was not illegal before but appears it will be now. Just like the stupid horse collar rule. Basically you cannot tackle somebody who is in front of you unless you can wrap your arms around them.  The horse collar rule isn't stupid at all.  There have been countless players injured on a tackle when being pulled down from behind grabbing the inside collar of the jersey or shoulder pads.  The rule is in place to prevent that.  It's not at all a stupid rule and should have been in the rule book a lot sooner than it was.

Based on everything you typed above its pretty clear you have no idea what the real definition of Hurdling is.  

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, alexava said:

David was a defender..

Thanks! I often get the Irons brothers confused. The Irons brothers were no doubt one of the best brother team mates in all of Auburn Football as far back as I can remember. I would love to know about any other brother combination that contributed to us winning games. Another brother team is the Rocker brothers. Those two helped us to win some key games during their time at Auburn. I would love to know if there are any other brothers who wore the orange and blue.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, WarTiger said:

Based on everything you typed above its pretty clear you have no idea what the real definition of Hurdling is.  

Hey War Tiger.....Please use another color than the light rust color you chose to highlight with. How about red? Not the turd red color, but maybe a deeper red than our across state rival.

15 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Thanks! I often get the Irons brothers confused. The Irons brothers were no doubt one of the best brother team mates in all of Auburn Football as far back as I can remember. I would love to know about any other brother combination that contributed to us winning games. Another brother team is the Rocker brothers. Those two helped us to win some key games during their time at Auburn. I would love to know if there are any other brothers who wore the orange and blue.

The Carlson brothers are next. 

40 minutes ago, alexava said:

The Carlson brothers are next. 

Thanks for the info!   What decade did the Carlson brothers play football for Auburn?

Doc, the Carlson's play right now. Daniel is our current awesome kicker and his younger brother Anders was part of this most recent signing class.

Nate Craig-Myers and Jayvaughn Myers are also currently on the team.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, Tiger said:

Doc, the Carlson's play right now. Daniel is our current awesome kicker and his younger brother Anders was part of this most recent signing class.

Nate Craig-Myers and Jayvaughn Myers are also currently on the team.

My brain has gone into overload!  Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.

On 3/11/2017 at 8:40 PM, doc4aday said:

My brain has gone into overload!  Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.

No problem, Doc!

Archived