ISIS Suicide Bomber Identified As Former Guantanamo Detainee

AUFAN78

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The Supermax federal prison in Colorado spends about $60,000 per year, per inmate to keep inmates in permanent isolation. Housing an inmate in Guantanamo Bay costs taxpayers approximately $900,000 per year.  In other words, we could house all 41 Gitmo detainees (assuming all need to be kept and held in solitary confinement) for less than it currently costs to house 3 of them at Gitmo.

I have a pretty good idea that attorney fees for up to 41 prisoners won't exceed $440 million a year for the rest of their natural lives.  I'm decent at math.  

Guantanamo is guaranteed to be more expensive, as basically all supplies have to arrive by air or sea.  That said, I have yet to hear a single good argument for why they should continue to be held indefinitely instead of charge and tried.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

The Supermax federal prison in Colorado spends about $60,000 per year, per inmate to keep inmates in permanent isolation. Housing an inmate in Guantanamo Bay costs taxpayers approximately $900,000 per year.  In other words, we could house all 41 Gitmo detainees (assuming all need to be kept and held in solitary confinement) for less than it currently costs to house 3 of them at Gitmo.

I have a pretty good idea that attorney fees for up to 41 prisoners won't exceed $440 million a year for the rest of their natural lives.  I'm decent at math.  

I'm all for giving Muslims the same rights here they give to Christians in their country.

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I'm all for giving Muslims the same rights here they give to Christians in their country.

In other words, "I can't dispute the numbers so I'll just toss out silly one-liners."  

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

In other words, "I can't dispute the numbers so I'll just toss out silly one-liners."  

No I can't dispute the numbers and didn't try. I said earlier your GUESS was as good as any I could put forth. My comment wasn't intended to be silly, just stating an opinion. If you think that''s silly so be it.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

No I can't dispute the numbers and didn't try. I said earlier your GUESS was as good as any I could put forth. 

Except mine isn't really a guess.  It is clearly far more expensive to maintain Gitmo for holding these prisoners than it would be to transfer however many we feel we need to keep locked up to a Supermax-type prison in the US.  It costs 15 times as much to keep them in Gitmo than a Supermax.  I know roughly what federal prosecutors and public defenders make. I may not be able to give you exact figures, but there isn't an group of those dudes large enough to rack up $400 million a year in fees and salary for the rest of these prisoners' natural lives.  Sorry, it's basic common sense and math.  

My comment wasn't intended to be silly, just stating an opinion. If you think that''s silly so be it.

Intended or not, it was.  It was silly because it was just another deflection from what was being discussed.

Archived