McCain: Dictators 'get started by suppressing free press'

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No.  I am saying that refusing to engage with the media suppresses their ability to function as they are supposed to.

And you are making up stuff about constitutional rights I have neither said nor implied.

what does Trump need to do to engage the media homer?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, homersapien said:

No.  I am saying that refusing to engage with the media suppresses their ability to function as they are supposed to.

And you are making up stuff about constitutional rights I have neither said nor implied.

Regarding your first line: It is my contention that the media has chosen not to function "as they are supposed to." It is also my contention that Trump has no obligation to talk to the media. Maybe the media should focus on being professional. I expect that Trump would be much more accommodating if the reporter chose to do that.

Regarding your 2nd line: The title of this thread is "Dictators 'get started by suppressing free press." Then you typed "He can suppress the press to some degree by simply refusing access. He's already suppressing the involvement of some media companies by refusing to take their questions."

I assumed that suppressing the free press was a big deal because the U.S Constitution protects a free press. If you guys don't think that Trump's actions are a threat to the press then I don't see why y'all keep talking about it.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

So you are saying trump is not engaging the media by not taking questions from who? 

I hear him take questions from the media everyday.

I see no one suppressing free press. Holding them accountable for factual reporting is something all Americans should demand. This baloney talking point of the left is absurd.

Wake up! 

16 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

So you are saying trump is not engaging the media by not taking questions from who? 

Everyday? I believe he has only had two press conferences since being elected. Please link me to what I'm missing. 

Is it really so hard to see the pattern? If something is a threat to Trump perpetuating his policies or alternative facts they will be attacked and discredited.  It's exactly why he is attacking the judiciary branch. It is why he is attacking the 4th estate. Trump can say whatever he wants. It doesn't make it appropriate.

'Fake News' And How The Washington Post Rewrote Its Story On Russian Hacking Of The Power Grid

Jan 1. 2017

On Friday the Washington Post sparked a wave of fear when it ran the breathless headline “Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont, U.S. officials say.” The lead sentence offered “A code associated with the Russian hacking operation dubbed Grizzly Steppe by the Obama administration has been detected within the system of a Vermont utility, according to U.S. officials” and continued “While the Russians did not actively use the code to disrupt operations of the utility, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a security matter, the penetration of the nation’s electrical grid is significant because it represents a potentially serious vulnerability.”

Yet, it turns out this narrative was false and as the chronology below will show, illustrates how effectively false and misleading news can ricochet through the global news echo chamber through the pages of top tier newspapers that fail to properly verify their facts.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2017/01/01/fake-news-and-how-the-washington-post-rewrote-its-story-on-russian-hacking-of-the-power-grid/#238d9773291e

9 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Everyday? I believe he has only had two press conferences since being elected. Please link me to what I'm missing. 

Just listen to reruns. sounded good after an afternoon of fishing at the coast. 

On 2/19/2017 at 5:37 PM, Grumps said:

Regarding your first line: It is my contention that the media has chosen not to function "as they are supposed to." It is also my contention that Trump has no obligation to talk to the media. Maybe the media should focus on being professional. I expect that Trump would be much more accommodating if the reporter chose to do that.

Regarding your 2nd line: The title of this thread is "Dictators 'get started by suppressing free press." Then you typed "He can suppress the press to some degree by simply refusing access. He's already suppressing the involvement of some media companies by refusing to take their questions."

I assumed that suppressing the free press was a big deal because the U.S Constitution protects a free press. If you guys don't think that Trump's actions are a threat to the press then I don't see why y'all keep talking about it.

Because he tweeted the "fake" media were the enemy of the American people and then went on to list several major members of the media clearly indicating he was referring to anyone who printed negative content about him. That tweet was clearly a threat to the press.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? 

On 2/19/2017 at 5:33 PM, SaltyTiger said:

what does Trump need to do to engage the media homer?

For starters, answering questions posed to him by various media on a fare bases.

Secondly, by not referring to the media he doesn't like as being "fake media" and an enemy of the people.

On 2/19/2017 at 7:21 PM, SaltyTiger said:

He clearly has avoided certain representatives from certain news sources.

On 2/19/2017 at 10:57 PM, AUFAN78 said:

I see no one suppressing free press. Holding them accountable for factual reporting is something all Americans should demand. This baloney talking point of the left is absurd.

Wake up! 

He has threatened the free press by labeling them an enemy of the people.

For a POTUS to say such a thing is a big deal.  All Americans should be concerned over such a statement.

19 hours ago, shabby said:

Is it really so hard to see the pattern? If something is a threat to Trump perpetuating his policies or alternative facts they will be attacked and discredited.  It's exactly why he is attacking the judiciary branch. It is why he is attacking the 4th estate. Trump can say whatever he wants. It doesn't make it appropriate.

Hell, it's why he attacked the disabled reporter.  It's why he disparged John McCain as a war hero.

He is who he is.  Always has been, always will be.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

He has threatened the free press by labeling them an enemy of the people.

For a POTUS to say such a thing is a big deal.  All Americans should be concerned over such a statement.

He did no such thing ,& you know it. I know you do because Trump took the time to specify who it was he meant when he said " fake " .  

57 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

He did no such thing ,& you know it. I know you do because Trump took the time to specify who it was he meant when he said " fake " .  

BS.  He called a large portion of the media and enemy of the people.

He'll add more to the list as soon as they offend him.

And for all of this talk about "fake news", he didn't specify even exactly what he considers fake.  I don't know what he's talking about.  Do you?

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

BS.  He called a large portion of the media and enemy of the people.

He'll add more to the list as soon as they offend him.

And for all of this talk about "fake news", he didn't specify even exactly what he considers fake.  I don't know what he's talking about.  Do you?

he never has specified what exactly is "fake" and these jackwads here defending him haven't either. By reading these comments i don't think they listened to McCain's speech but just read the headline. He is very clear.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

How about telling us about the fake news these five organizations published?

Weasel shift. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

he never has specified what exactly is "fake" and these jackwads here defending him haven't either. By reading these comments i don't think they listened to McCain's speech but just read the headline. He is very clear.

Assuming that you want a serious attempt at an answer:

When Trump says that Mexico is sending over its rapists and the press reports that Trump calls Mexicans immigrants rapists then they are intentionally misleading the people. This could be considered fake news.

If Flynn talks to Russia 3 days before he will take office to smooth over the abrupt dismissal of Russian diplomats and the media portrays it as an attempt to undermine the security of the U.S without any proof, then they are misleading the people. I completely admit to being ignorant to many of the facts here so feel free to blast away at me). Flynn should have been fired for misleading Pence, but I am not sure that he should have been fired for talking to Russia.

When the press prints that "Russia hacked the election" they are intentionally misleading the people.

When Trump tweets "the FAKE NEWS media is not my enemy but is an enemy to the people" and the press says that "Trump calls the press an enemy of the people" then they are intentionally misleading the people.

So, here are 4 examples just from the top of my head. I think it is fair to call an intentional misleading of the people by the press FAKE NEWS. Do you?

41 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Assuming that you want a serious attempt at an answer:

When Trump says that Mexico is sending over its rapists and the press reports that Trump calls Mexicans immigrants rapists then they are intentionally misleading the people. This could be considered fake news.

If Flynn talks to Russia 3 days before he will take office to smooth over the abrupt dismissal of Russian diplomats and the media portrays it as an attempt to undermine the security of the U.S without any proof, then they are misleading the people. I completely admit to being ignorant to many of the facts here so feel free to blast away at me). Flynn should have been fired for misleading Pence, but I am not sure that he should have been fired for talking to Russia.

When the press prints that "Russia hacked the election" they are intentionally misleading the people.

When Trump tweets "the FAKE NEWS media is not my enemy but is an enemy to the people" and the press says that "Trump calls the press an enemy of the people" then they are intentionally misleading the people.

So, here are 4 examples just from the top of my head. I think it is fair to call an intentional misleading of the people by the press FAKE NEWS. Do you?

-- "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. ... They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people," Trump said in his  ....... "    His words exactly Grumps. I'll get back with you.

As far as Flynn....... you should read up more on it i guess. He has ties to russia beyond these multiple calls that were intercepted. As does Tillerson and the trump family business. it is obvious trump is nice to russia, the only state, person, race or religion he is nice to. that brings suspicion. then his staff has had 3 people fired or resigned over russian ties. He, the president, fired Flynn, trump did. He didn't have to. Then he blames the media for mistreating Flynn and causing this. 

When the press prints that "Russia hacked the election" they are intentionally misleading the people. Yes you may be right on this. They did not hack "the election". they didn't change the vote count in the polling places. I believe there is enough evidence to convince most people they hacked the DNC and attemped to "influence" the election. THe media should be clear on this for those of us too not willing to understand the difference. 

When Trump tweets "the FAKE NEWS media is not my enemy but is an enemy to the people" and the press says that "Trump calls the press an enemy of the people" then they are intentionally misleading the people. ...... again he named news organizations that are not promoting fake news. they are reporting news he don't like. 

Fake news would be the assertion that 3-5 million illegals voted for Hillary. 

30 minutes ago, alexava said:

-- "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. ... They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people," Trump said in his  ....... "    His words exactly Grumps. I'll get back with you.

As far as Flynn....... you should read up more on it i guess. He has ties to russia beyond these multiple calls that were intercepted. As does Tillerson and the trump family business. it is obvious trump is nice to russia, the only state, person, race or religion he is nice to. that brings suspicion. then his staff has had 3 people fired or resigned over russian ties. He, the president, fired Flynn, trump did. He didn't have to. Then he blames the media for mistreating Flynn and causing this. 

When the press prints that "Russia hacked the election" they are intentionally misleading the people. Yes you may be right on this. They did not hack "the election". they didn't change the vote count in the polling places. I believe there is enough evidence to convince most people they hacked the DNC and attemped to "influence" the election. THe media should be clear on this for those of us too not willing to understand the difference. 

I think it is rather clear that people read and see what they want based on political bias.

Archived