The Alabamafication of America

RunInRed

20 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Doing what is popular is easy.  Doing what is right should rise above all other concerns. 

It is not just corruption that has long been a part of Alabama politics, there is also a fundamental hypocrisy.  

On the bright side, it is getting better.  Still, a long way to go.

?

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I agree with Mikey. It seems to be a hit piece. How was this past election like an Alabama election? Did Bentley win the governorship without the popular vote? Was he new to politics when he ran? Sure, he is douchebag, but that is not an Alabama trait. Yes, Alabama government is corrupt, maybe even worse than other states are. So is Trump more corrupt than other presidential candidates? 

The lesson is simple: populism rises above all other concerns in Alabama.

What SHOULD rise above all other concerns?

Critical thinking and then acting on rational conclusions?

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

And you might need to re-think your definition of shameful if you are so apparently willing to dismiss the past when it suits you.

Did not realize I dismiss the past suit me..... but you are all-knowing.

I am a Florida resident now, not Alabama. Lived in SC like for you long ago, and Ga. Not a lot of difference in any of the places.

37 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Did not realize I dismiss the past suit me..... but you are all-knowing.

I am a Florida resident now, not Alabama. Lived in SC like for you long ago, and Ga. Not a lot of difference in any of the places.

If you can make assumptions about what I mean, I see no reason why I can't reciprocate.

I apologize, here is the definition I was using:

pop·u·lism
ˈpäpyəˌlizəm/
noun
  1. support for the concerns of ordinary people.
    "it is clear that your populism identifies with the folks on the bottom of the ladder"
    • the quality of appealing to or being aimed at ordinary people.
      "art museums did not gain bigger audiences through a new populism"

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

I think the point from the beginning that the government of Alabama is not conservative.  It's corrupt.  Congratulations for recognizing the difference.

Now if you can only convince your fellow "conservatives".

You make a good point. We have a Legislative Committee at our church that monitors state and federal legislation. When I told the chair a few years ago that we needed a new state constitution, she thought I was joking.

5 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Have you been to Montgomery lately?  I was amazed by the differences I saw in attitudes when I was there during the holidays.

What were the differences ?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Grumps said:

Based upon your knowledge of the two men, do think that Eric Holder or Jeff Sessions would make a better AG?

Strawman.

I wasn't a big fan of Holder.  But there's also something about Sessions I have never trusted.  And if we ever need a check-and-balance among the three branches, it's now.  Sessions gives me little confidence in that regard.

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Strawman.

I wasn't a big fan of Holder.  But there's also something about Sessions I have never trusted.  And if we ever need a check-and-balance among the three branches, it's now.  Sessions gives me little confidence in that regard.

It was really only a curiosity question. I agree that we need the AG to be trustworthy no matter how they have been in the past.

Archived