The Alabamafication of America

RunInRed

An interesting read ... thoughts?

The Alabamafication of America

1200px-Alabama-Tennessee-state-line-207-11-altn1

The 2016 presidential election looked, more than anything else, like an Alabama election. Donald Trump’s relentless appeals to populist conservative ideas echo decades-long trends in the South. The current worries about Trump’s irresponsible governing style are similar to concerns Alabama commentators have been expressing about their often-demagogic leaders since before the 1940s. To understand the Trump administration, in which Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions will likely serve as attorney general, we should look to Alabama, and the reasons why the state government is teetering toward collapse.

Leaders in all three branches of Alabama’s government are either under investigation or have been recently removed from office. After using his position to obtain over $1.1 million in financial favors, Mike Hubbard, the former speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives, was convicted of 12 felony corruption charges in July 2016. He has been described by many as “the most powerful man in Alabama,” a state where the governor has relatively little authority and the legislature holds all the cards—a simple majority is all that is required to override most vetoes. The Hubbard trial was full of fireworks, including testimony from former Governor Bob Riley, but ended in a sentence of only four years in prison.

The drama of the Hubbard case stirred up another scandal which otherwise might have gone unnoticed. Governor Robert Bentley, a man who ran his 2010 campaign on family values, divorced his wife of 50 years after allegedly having an affair with his powerful chief advisor, Rebekah Caldwell Mason. Although neither admit to a “physical affair,” sexual voicemails the governor left for Mason say otherwise. Bentley could be prosecuted for abuse of power—as governor, he ordered a state law enforcement helicopter to retrieve his wallet, which he had left by accident at his ex-wife’s house in Tuscaloosa on his way to the beach.

In 2016, Roy Moore, the former Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, was removed from the bench for ethics violations after he ordered the state’s probate judges to ignore the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling legalizing same-sex marriage. The result has been mass confusion in courthouses across the state, several of which stopped issuing marriage licenses altogether. Moore was previously removed from the same office in 2003, after erecting a stone monument of the Ten Commandments in the Alabama Judicial Building and ignoring a court order to have it removed.

Montgomery, the state capital, has become dominated by special interests, creating an environment where corruption is the norm. Far-right swings in the electorate have enabled extremists like Moore to come to power. But the forces destabilizing Alabama are not unique to the state. Donald Trump’s cabinet selections suggest that moneyed interests will be given influence in the federal government, and that far-right voices, like Steve Bannon, will be given a stage. Montgomery’s fate may be Washington’s future.

After the election of Donald Trump, many commentators expressed shock that the president-elect, with his lewd comments and sexual impropriety, did so well in the South, a place known for “family values.” The truth is the South has never prioritized the personal values of its leaders. Back in the 1940s and 50s, Governor “Big Jim” Folsom was one of the most popular men ever to hold the position. To this day, many Alabamians say that if another Folsom ever runs for office, they’ll vote for him, because Big Jim famously paved rural roads to underserved places (including my grandparents’ childhood homes). Big Jim was also famous for his vices—in a televised debate with George Wallace, Folsom showed up drunk and failed to remember the names of his many children. His apocryphal line—“if they bait a hook with whiskey and women, they’ll catch Big Jim every time”—remains prominent in Alabama lore.

The lesson is simple: populism rises above all other concerns in Alabama. Demagoguery has a long track record of success in the South, and a politician who sufficiently channels that energy can say and do most anything—“grab them by the *****,” for example—and still win by a landslide. George Wallace’s racism cost Alabama millions in economic development and outside investment, yet his populist appeal won elections. He served several nonconsecutive terms as governor, including one as late as the 1980s.

Trump won the election with the same flair as Folsom. With his cabinet picks and his agenda, it looks like Trump will govern like an Alabamian as well, with the classic strategies of a Montgomery politician.

Read More: 

http://harvardpolitics.com/culture/the-alabamafication-of-america/

Get what you are saying here and not to derail but you asked for thoughts.

I do not think but know that Mike Hubbard is a good man. I feel for Mike, Susan, Clate, and Riley. Did Mike go overboard. A jury answered that. Was he a target - yes.

for whatever reason all ( and at the lowest level ) who enter the political arena sure as hell want to stay in election after election. Trump did win with the same flair of others. Tells me that 50% are sick and tired of business as usual.

7 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Make sure you follow the link there's actually more to the article and it's just as good.

Scary times we're living in, no doubt.

Yeah, I followed the link.  Sent it to two of my nephews in Birmingham.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, I followed the link.  Sent it to two of my nephews in Birmingham.

I read it also, Glad I live in Florida. Still have property in Auburn. sent this to my realtor. sell all. Alabama is disgraceful.

47 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That was great piece!  I remember Big Jim Folsom.

I also learned a lot about the way Alabama works - or not.  

Glad I live in SC now.

The South Carolina State government has been rated as one of the lowest states in overall governmental secrecy and ethic enforcement by several watchdog agencies.

At least Alabama tries to govern itself and often to the extreme.

I have lived and worked in both states. Both states have a severe case of good ole boy civil servants. It's not what you can do. It's who you know!

17 minutes ago, WDavE said:

The South Carolina State government has been rated as one of the lowest states in overall governmental secrecy and ethic enforcement by several watchdog agencies.

At least Alabama tries to govern itself and often to the extreme.

I have lived and worked in both states. Both states have a severe case of good ole boy civil servants. It's not what you can do. It's who you know!

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply it was all that better.  We have a single party system for starters.

It's just it doesn't have the same reputation as Alabama throughout the country.  

THANK YOU! GEORGE WALLACE, BULL CONNER, JIM CLARK (and a host of others).

I traveled a lot and frankly, I was glad it wasn't on my business card, especially with my accent.

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply it was all that better.  We have a single party system for starters.

It's just it doesn't have the same reputation as Alabama throughout the country.  

THANK YOU! GEORGE WALLACE, BULL CONNER, JIM CLARK (and a host of others).

I traveled a lot and frankly, I was glad it wasn't on my business card, especially with my accent.

You forgot BAHR BRYANT. you know,  he could have won the governship in the 60"s. been great. we would have beaten them more than once in the 70's with him coaching part time and governing full time.

take you are ashamed of Alabama and the past.

13 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You forgot BAHR BRYANT. you know,  he could have won the governship in the 60"s. been great. we would have beaten them more than once in the 70's with him coaching part time and governing full time.

take you are ashamed of Alabama and the past.

There's a lot in Alabama's past that deserves shame if you want to be serious about it.

Just now, homersapien said:

There's a lot in Alabama's past that deserves shame if you want to be serious about it.

I feel sure that goes for many places Homer. The article that red posted would  likely read the same in many states. Just name and story changes. not justifying. 

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I feel sure that goes for many places Homer. The article that red posted would  likely read the same in many states. Just name and story changes. not justifying. 

Yep that's true enough.   But not even Emitt Till* comes up to the standard of killing little girls going to Sunday school because of race. 

* I'm sure everyone know by now that Emitt's accuser has admitted the whole thing was a lie. That brought it a little closer.

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not really.  The article Red posted spoke about Alabama's love of a cult-of-personality style leader who consistently derives power through populism.  I have lived in several states across the country (red and blue), and none have come close to the insanity of Alabama politics or it's string of elected officials who got in based on populist rhetoric.

Alabama desperately needs a new state constitution, more home rule for local governments, tax reform and education reform. As long as power is centered in Montgomery and the 140 legislators, then corruption and power grabbing will continue to be the norm.

Problem is that most folks in Alabama thinks this is normal, operating under the current system.

Now, did you expect this rant from a conservative??

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

That was great piece!  I remember Big Jim Folsom.

I also learned a lot about the way Alabama works - or not.  

Glad I live in SC now.

I glad you live in South Carolina,too!!?

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yep that's true enough.   But not even Emitt Till* comes up to the standard of killing little girls going to Sunday school because of race. 

* I'm sure everyone know by now that Emitt's accuser has admitted the whole thing was a lie. That brought it a little closer.

I can only assume by a post that like this that we are = me, my friends... have not moved on are the same. You are shameful.

For starters this article originated at Harvard and is taken from the Harvard Political Review so it's pretty much what I expected. They get to put Alabama down and take a shot at Trump at the same time. A dual-purpose avenue to continue their crybaby whining over the recent election and vent their frustrations, all in one neat little package. Look at the "recent articles" column to the right of their page. Middle of the road, they ain't.

I'm in Alabama because I like it here. Sure I wish there were no scandals in State government, but there are. That's not enough downside to make me want to move elsewhere. If the rest of America gets "Alabamafied" I'd be delighted.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

For starters this article originated at Harvard and is taken from the Harvard Political Review so it's pretty much what I expected. They get to put Alabama down and take a shot at Trump at the same time. A dual-purpose avenue to continue their crybaby whining over the recent election and vent their frustrations, all in one neat little package. Look at the "recent articles" column to the right of their page. Middle of the road, they ain't.

I'm in Alabama because I like it here. Sure I wish there were no scandals in State government, but there are. That's not enough downside to make me want to move elsewhere. If the rest of America gets "Alabamafied" I'd be delighted.

You're attacking the messenger and not the message.  What about the article is wrong in your opinion?  Because from my perspective, a guy who grew up in Alabama and has lived elsewhere, there's a lot of truth in the piece when it comes to my home state's politics and the voter willingness to overlook a lot of B.S.

And I hope the rest of the country does not turn into Alabama.  I rather prefer my current state's (Texas) tax code, not having a $700 million deficit, better public schools, etc.  If you looked at some of Alabama's neighbors (Tennessee, Georgia, & Florida specifically), you'll see more positive examples of what Alabama could be with regards to those things.

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I can only assume by a post that like this that we are = me, my friends... have not moved on are the same. You are shameful.

First, that is an incoherent response.  It makes no sense. 

Secondly, are talking about the state of Alabama, but you can assume whatever you wish.  

And you might need to re-think your definition of shameful if you are so apparently willing to dismiss the past when it suits you.

14 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Alabama desperately needs a new state constitution, more home rule for local governments, tax reform and education reform. As long as power is centered in Montgomery and the 140 legislators, then corruption and power grabbing will continue to be the norm.

Problem is that most folks in Alabama thinks this is normal, operating under the current system.

Now, did you expect this rant from a conservative??

I think the point from the beginning that the government of Alabama is not conservative.  It's corrupt.  Congratulations for recognizing the difference.

Now if you can only convince your fellow "conservatives".

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Is there anything in the article you believe to be untrue?

I agree with Mikey. It seems to be a hit piece. How was this past election like an Alabama election? Did Bentley win the governorship without the popular vote? Was he new to politics when he ran? Sure, he is douchebag, but that is not an Alabama trait. Yes, Alabama government is corrupt, maybe even worse than other states are. So is Trump more corrupt than other presidential candidates? 

The lesson is simple: populism rises above all other concerns in Alabama.

What SHOULD rise above all other concerns?

34 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I agree with Mikey. It seems to be a hit piece. How was this past election like an Alabama election? Did Bentley win the governorship without the popular vote? Was he new to politics when he ran? Sure, he is douchebag, but that is not an Alabama trait. Yes, Alabama government is corrupt, maybe even worse than other states are. So is Trump more corrupt than other presidential candidates? 

I think the analogy was being made along the lines of conservative and "populist" platforms and the resulting single-party rule across all houses of government.  Or, as he put it ...

Demagoguery has a long track record of success in the South, and a politician who sufficiently channels that energy can say and do most anything.

19 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Doing what is popular is easy.  Doing what is right should rise above all other concerns. 

It is not just corruption that has long been a part of Alabama politics, there is also a fundamental hypocrisy.  

On the bright side, it is getting better.  Still, a long way to go.

Archived