There are now twice as many solar jobs as coal jobs in the US

homersapien

5 minutes ago, Grumps said:

This is an example of what has gone wrong in our country. 1.3% of our energy comes from solar and we keep putting more and more money into it.

Do you not like solar or wind grumps? I would love it but have yet to find a contractor in my area.

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Do you not like solar or wind grumps? I would love it but have yet to find a contractor in my area.

I think they are great in theory, but I can't see spending hundreds of millions of dollars on either until they seem to be economically feasible. Why not put all that money in cold fusion or perpetual motion machines? (That was sarcasm.)

The story doesn't really say, but how many of these solar jobs are due to that industry being subsidized by government dollars?  Because until/unless solar can produce those kinds of jobs on a level playing field with other forms of energy, it seems kind of meaningless.

To me, Solar is great for individual subsidizing, but the logistics and lack of infrastructure make it cost ineffective.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The story doesn't really say, but how many of these solar jobs are due to that industry being subsidized by government dollars?  Because until/unless solar can produce those kinds of jobs on a level playing field with other forms of energy, it seems kind of meaningless.

It is my suspicion that MOST of the jobs are subsidized by government dollars. I hope that solar and wind energy can become effective, but I would love to see more potential before we spend so much tax revenue to develop it. If you have not read about Elon Musk's solar shingles then I recommend you looking it up. I am skeptical, but it would be great if it were feasible/cost effective.

Just now, Grumps said:

It is my suspicion that MOST of the jobs are subsidized by government dollars. I hope that solar and wind energy can become effective, but I would love to see more potential before we spend so much tax revenue to develop it. If you have not read about Elon Musk's solar shingles then I recommend you looking it up. I am skeptical, but it would be great if it were feasible/cost effective.

That's an amazing product if it turns out to be feasible.

And I'm not saying that we shouldn't put government dollars into energy sources that might be cleaner, renewable and good for us long term.  My only point is that if these solar jobs are being heavily subsidized by government money in the form of grants and tax breaks and such - and that it's in far greater amounts than other forms of energy get - then it's not really a fair comparison right now.

26 minutes ago, WDavE said:

The last estimate on defaulted government loans for green energy companies was 4.4 billion dollars.

Ouch!  No reason for the federal government to be involved in subsidizing private companies.

9 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Ouch!  No reason for the federal government to be involved in subsidizing private companies.

Watch out! You are going to be accused to destroying the planet for saying such things.

" In total, the United States government has identified eleven Federal fossil fuel production tax provisions, as shown below. Combined, these provisions total USD 4.7 billion in annual revenue cost (nominal annual average figure based on the 10-year revenue estimate). The provisions are listed in order of greatest annual revenue cost to least."

13 hours ago, Grumps said:

This is an example of what has gone wrong in our country. 1.3% of our energy comes from solar and we keep putting more and more money into it.

And the investment is paying off.  And the market share is increasing.

You need to turn around and start considering the future instead of the past.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, Solar is great for individual subsidizing, but the logistics and lack of infrastructure make it cost ineffective.

That's not true.

Home systems have about a 5-7 years pay back period.

30 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Yeah, as if we don't subsidize other industries.  :laugh:

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's not true.

Home systems have about a 5-7 years pay back period.

Sorry, I meant individual implementation was great and is worth it, but large scale/national use of it is not cost effective due to the logistics and lack of infrastructure. I agree about personal use.

1 hour ago, WDavE said:

The last estimate on defaulted government loans for green energy companies was 4.4 billion dollars.

That's a drop in the bucket compared to subsidies in the gas and oil industry. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/us-fossil-fuel-subsidies-increase-dramatically-despite-climate-change-pledge-2180918

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Sorry, I meant individual implementation was great and is worth it, but large scale/national use of it is not cost effective due to the logistics and lack of infrastructure. I agree about personal use.

Solar - at least in this country - will be much more decentralized than conventional generation of electricity.  I think that is a positive.

Having said that, I recently signed up for a program offered by my power supplier - a cooperative - in which I am investing in a solar farm in the area.

http://www.blueridge.coop/communitysolar/

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's a drop in the bucket compared to subsidies in the gas and oil industry. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/us-fossil-fuel-subsidies-increase-dramatically-despite-climate-change-pledge-2180918

Shouldn't be doing that either.  Shouldn't be subsidizing ANY private companies. Not sure what you are saying?  Let's just subsidize everyone?

There is also so much potential for solar in cities if buildings were required to Have X amount of cells per sq ft of roof space.

1 minute ago, LakeBum said:

Shouldn't be doing that either.  Shouldn't be subsidizing ANY private companies. Not sure what you are saying?  Let's just subsidize everyone?

They can start with me!

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Solar - at least in this country - will be much more decentralized than conventional generation of electricity.  I think that is a positive.

Having said that, I recently signed up for a program offered by my power supplier - a cooperative - in which I am investing in a solar farm in the area.

http://www.blueridge.coop/communitysolar/

This is a great example of how it should be done.  Keep the federal government out of it!

Archived