nick marshall on jeremy johnson

aubiefifty

ledger-enquirer.com

Nick Marshall surprised Jeremy Johnson didn’t succeed as heir apparent at quarterback

By Michael Niziolekmniziolek@ledger-enquirer.com

No one is more surprised at Jeremy Johnson’s lack of success than his predecessor.

Former Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall thought Johnson would thrive under center after spending two years as the program’s backup.

Marshall’s heir apparent lost his hold on the starting job three games into the 2015 season following a 1-2 start and seven turnovers.

“I ain’t going to say he took a step back, but a little bit,” Marshall said choosing his words carefully.

Marshall was in Auburn Sunday afternoon hosting a youth football camp at the Wire Road Sports Complex. The quarterback turned defensive back spent four hours working with campers, but took a short break to talk with the Ledger-Enquirer.

While Marshall hasn’t spoken with former Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee much since leaving the Plains, the two quarterbacks remain close.

“We still communicate very well, he’s still a nice guy,” Marshall said.

Without being in the locker room, Marshall was reluctant to assign blame for Johnson’s failures.

Marshall echoed what other former players have — most recently Cleveland Browns receiver Ricardo Louis — that Johnson’s early success contributed to the issues he had later in his career.

“I sat the Arkansas game that I got in trouble and he started the first half, he really jumped out to a fast start and ever since than they were looking at Jeremy like he was going to be that guy,” Marshall said.

Johnson was 12 of 16 for 243 yards with two touchdowns in the 45-21 win starting for Marshall, who was suspended for first half.

The former Alabama Mr. Football award winner also made an impression as a true freshman in a record-setting offensive performance against Western Carolina. Marshall missed the game with an injury, but Johnson made sure the offense didn’t skip a beat.

“I think the pressure was a lot,” Louis said last week. “It was all the pressure, and I don’t think he really knew how to handle the pressure and the adversity — the people who gave him a lot of backlash and hating on him for not being as great as they expected him to be.”

Marshall hopes Johnson gets a fresh start as he sets his sights on the NFL. After Auburn’s loss in the Sugar Bowl, Johnson said he’s looking forward to getting “coached up” preparing for the NFL draft.

“I’m looking forward to him making a big step to the league,” Marshall said.

I know some folks will try and place blame for how things worked out with JJ. I personally won't try and do that since I have no idea what really goes on at practice and in the locker room. But the career of JJ will forever be one of the most puzzling college careers i've ever seen. I will never fully understand how a QB could look that good as a backup and spot starter and then look THAT lost when being "the guy". I truly hope he catches on with some NFL team and after a few years is able to have some sucess on the football field again. He has all the tools in the world to be a great QB. 

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I know some folks will try and place blame for how things worked out with JJ. I personally won't try and do that since I have no idea what really goes on at practice and in the locker room. But the career of JJ will forever be one of the most puzzling college careers i've ever seen. I will never fully understand how a QB could look that good as a backup and spot starter and then look THAT lost when being "the guy". I truly hope he catches on with some NFL team and after a few years is able to have some sucess on the football field again. He has all the tools in the world to be a great QB. 

When I read this article and the one referencing Gus' thoughts on letting QB's having their own QB guru, I wondered if JJ's situation had any bearing on Gus' recent loosening of the reign with his QBs?  It was obvious Gus/Rhett could not teach JJ to read a defense and that situation did not improve for the 4 years JJ was at Auburn.  We'll see how JJ can do trying to get to the next level.  Good luck to him.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:16 AM, gravejd said:

Would like to have seen JJ get some outside help, just to see if it made a difference, but we will never know. I just remember the UL game in 2015 & being totally pumped for the season. Then they show JJ on the sideline before the game & he looked absolutely scared out of his mind. I immediately was hoping I didnt see what I thought I did, but it was what it was. Still think a QB guru could have helped at least some. Physical tools are not whats lacking.

I'd be pissed if I was JJ's parents. I wouldn't be surprised if they felt like the guys who they've trusted to coach up and look out for JJ failed him and then would not even allow him to try to improve his game under professional guidance, even after it was painfully obvious that the guys who had the opportunity to coach him did not have him ready to be QB1.

Or maybe I'm projecting how I would feel under similar circumstances. I 100% get that it's entirely plausible that JJ just never had it from the start and looked great in spot starts due to circumstances surrounding the starts (Like Arky gameplanning and preparing for our 2013 offense, or him going hammer on Western Carolina -- an FCS school), but if I'm JJ's parents I'd be asking why they wouldn't allow their son to get outside help considering the coaches on staff clearly weren't able to get JJ to retain what they were trying to teach him.

Just a couple of questions.

1....Do we even know that JJ's parents asked about the possibility of an outside coach ,

2....how many college coaches encourage their  Quarterbacks to work with outside coaches away from school.?

Frankly I am not sure that I have heard much about that possibility anywhere.  I have the impression that using coaches away from school is pretty rare . 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just a couple of questions.

1....Do we even know that JJ's parents asked about the possibility of an outside coach ,

2....how many college coaches encourage their  Quarterbacks to work with outside coaches away from school.?

Frankly I am not sure that I have heard much about that possibility anywhere.  I have the impression that using coaches away from school is pretty rare . 

The answer to number 2 is most get outside coaching, it has been a growing trend for several years now

53 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'd be pissed if I was JJ's parents.

I know his dad was/is. A few of my local Auburn friends and I were sitting by him at the 2015 Arkansas game. Let's just say he was not friendly.

17 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The answer to number 2 is most get outside coaching, it has been a growing trend for several years now

After they are in college ? Or perhaps before while they are still seeking scholarships? I am wondering if that string of highly regarded quarterbacks that Bama has been through and processed the last few years, were using outside coaches ?

Just now, AU64 said:

After they are in college ? Or perhaps before while they are still seeking scholarships? I am wondering if that string of highly regarded quarterbacks that Bama has been through and processed the last few years, were using outside coaches ?

While in college, lots of times it is just for a couple days or a week that they work with the QB coach and they work on fundamentals and even relaxation or breathing drills when throwing to calm nerves.  I know Coker worked with the guy from Mobile.  Some coaching staffs cooperate and work with the guru.  There still are the coaches that are against it. 

@AU64, all I'm saying is that the fact that JJ wasn't getting adequate coaching at AU coupled with the fact that the coaches were not allowing anyone to use outside help did zero favors for JJ, or his family considering they had to live through all the backlash. Remember when it was a topic discussed on programs like First Take? Just consider that Gus stonewalling Nick Marshall from seeking professional QB coaching raised enough eyebrows for it to be a headline and a talking point on sports debate shows

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I'd be pissed if I was JJ's parents. 

Why?  Because your poor little honey bunny didn't become a college star?  So it's the coaches fault he failed miserably every time on the field as a starter but his back up and predecessor didn't have any of the issues he did?  Oh please. Maybe he really just needs a safe place and paci?  If his parents were actually mad and filling JJs head with the "it's the coaches fault" mentality then it's no wonder he failed. Parents like that only set their children up for failure. It's the most common story in all of sports. HS star never faced adversity in HS but doesn't pan in college under actual pressure. While Gus may have failed in a million ways, JJ folding under any and all pressure isn't on them.   Unfortunately, now no one has to take responsibility for their own actions. We just blame it on the coaches.  It's really sad that's the new most common story in sports.  Jj didn't pan out. Neither did 90 percent of all HS qbs.  If the parents of these guys are blaming the coaches then it's their fault for not instilling personal responsibility. They are taking a valuable teaching moment and using it to teach their children to play the victim card. Anyone that thinks this is ok or the right reaction is gravely mistaken. 

15 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Why?  Because your poor little honey bunny didn't become a college star?  So it's the coaches fault he failed miserably every time on the field as a starter but his back up and predecessor didn't have any of the issues he did?  Oh please. Maybe he really just needs a safe place and paci?  If his parents were actually mad and filling JJs head with the "it's the coaches fault" mentality then it's no wonder he failed. Parents like that only set their children up for failure. It's the most common story in all of sports. HS star never faced adversity in HS but doesn't pan in college under actual pressure. While Gus may have failed in a million ways, JJ folding under any and all pressure isn't on them.   Unfortunately, now no one has to take responsibility for their own actions. We just blame it on the coaches.  It's really sad that's the new most common story in sports.  Jj didn't pan out. Neither did 90 percent of all HS qbs.  If the parents of these guys are blaming the coaches then it's their fault for not instilling personal responsibility. They are taking a valuable teaching moment and using it to teach their children to play the victim card. Anyone that thinks this is ok or the right reaction is gravely mistaken. 

Your argument would make sense if our staff tried everything possible to maximize JJ's ability which they obviously didn't by not allowing him to work with established QB coaches. I'd want my kid to be in the hands of someone who is truly looking out for the kid as opposed to being caught in the web of feeding a coach's ego because he wrongly thinks he is all the kid needs ESPECIALLY after it became clear there wasn't an adequate QB coach on staff. 

I wasn't insinuating the parents should be blaming staff 100% for why he didn't pan out but can you honestly say they put JJ in a position to learn everything he possibly could as a QB after they said "no outside help allowed, we know the best"? College QBs get training like this all over the country.

And yeah SW looked better because he just flatly is better but I'd feel some type of way that Gus is allowing kids to get outside help now but wouldn't with my son when it was obvious he needed all the help he could get AND people, me included, were crapping all over him for 1.5 years basically which couldn't have been easy for the family. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Your argument would make sense if our staff tried everything possible to maximize JJ's ability which they obviously didn't by not allowing him to work with established QB coaches. I'd want my kid to be in the hands of someone who is truly looking out for the kid as opposed to being caught in the web of feeding a coach's ego because he wrongly thinks he is all the kid needs ESPECIALLY after it became clear there wasn't an adequate QB coach on staff. 

I wasn't insinuating the parents should be blaming staff 100% for why he didn't pan out but can you honestly say they put JJ in a position to learn everything he possibly could as a QB after they said "no outside help allowed, we know the best"? College QBs get training like this all over the country.

If the only thing holding him back was a weekend or a week with someone else (not even close to being possible), then he is a big boy and was t required to stay at AU.  No possible way a short period with someone else turned him from a 3rd string to a 1st string. You're still making excuses to alleviate JJ of any and all responsibility. Guess what...being a star qb isn't for everyone. I guess since I'm not a millionaire qb then it's my HS coaches fault right?  

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Jeremy's problem is not mechanics... his problem is reading defenses, and you aren't going to get much help with that at a QB camp, because there is no defense to read. Outside QB training is about mechanics, footwork, etc.  Sean would benefit from those kinds of things.  Jeremy... not so much.  What Jeremy needed was the ability to play in a Summer league where he could face more live defenses.

As to the assessment that Jeremy's failure to become a superstar being proof that Rhett was inadequate as a QB coach... Franklin had an outside QB coach and it did nothing for him.

Fellas I'm purely talking about how I'd feel miffed if my son's coaches wouldn't let him work with someone else, when it was apparent he needed loads of help, but as soon as he leaves he let's guys get outside help. That would make me feel a certain type of way. You don't have to agree. Literally only talking about that side of things.

Not allowing my hypothetical son to improve his game during the off-season when he's at home or wherever but allowing the QBs to do it now wouldn't sit well with me. Why did you block my son from getting better but let these other kids better themselves? That's the point I'm trying to make. Not argue specifics about JJ's game, although I do think, no matter where his deficiencies were, that extra work would've helped him. Extra reps helps everyone. Not to mention fundamentals is not a strong suit of Gus' QBs...

I agree with lion hart. I don't think an off season coach is much help for confidence and decisions on where to go with the football. Hell there were times JJ would run the ball and fall down untouched from what looked like confusion.  I didn't understand why Gus said what he did before 2014 about Marshall not working with Whitfield. But I think it is way overplayed by Gus detractors. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I know his dad was/is. A few of my local Auburn friends and I were sitting by him at the 2015 Arkansas game. Let's just say he was not friendly.

I was pissed too. maybe for the same reasons? Wr drops? That was one of SW's best games. 

Nick Marshall surprised Jeremy Johnson didn’t succeed as heir apparent at quarterback

I think everyone in the country, especially the AU people, were just as surprised as Marshall. We all wish it would have been different. 

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

Fellas I'm purely talking about how I'd feel miffed if my son's coaches wouldn't let him work with someone else, when it was apparent he needed loads of help, but as soon as he leaves he let's guys get outside help. That would make me feel a certain type of way. You don't have to agree. Literally only talking about that side of things.

Not allowing my hypothetical son to improve his game during the off-season when he's at home or wherever but allowing the QBs to do it now wouldn't sit well with me. Why did you block my son from getting better but let these other kids better themselves? That's the point I'm trying to make. Not argue specifics about JJ's game, although I do think, no matter where his deficiencies were, that extra work would've helped him. Extra reps helps everyone. Not to mention fundamentals is not a strong suit of Gus' QBs...

saz5vo.jpg

This isnt youth ball. You don't like it, you can go somewhere else.  No one MADE him do anything. He was free to transfer anywhere he wanted. He CHOSE to stay at AU. 

15 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

saz5vo.jpg

This isnt youth ball. You don't like it, you can go somewhere else.  No one MADE him do anything. He was free to transfer anywhere he wanted. He CHOSE to stay at AU. 

lol are you even replying to me? I've literally only mentioned a parent's relationship to Gus' changing policy regarding his QBs working with QB trainers. I only expressed how I would feel about it if he blocked my son from getting better on his own in a supervised setting but then allowed the QBs after my son's eligibility was up to put that extra supervised work in. That is it. But I understand you think JJ never had it from the beginning and that is completely fair but also unrelated to anything I mentioned in this thread at all.

You think his parents are sitting back after hearing about this thinking "Eh, whatever. Gus is letting the QBs work with outside coaches now but Jeremy just never had it in him in the first place so who cares? It wouldn't have made a difference for him" No as a parent you want to put your kid in the best position to succeed, and Gus' policy restricted that to an extent, and when JJ leaves, he finally allows QBs to get additional coaching. You can't see how that would rub someone the wrong way?

Let's just agree to disagree because I feel like I've typed my initial post 3x now. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

lol are you even replying to me? I've literally only mentioned a parent's relationship to Gus' changing policy regarding his QBs working with QB trainers. I only expressed how I would feel about it if he blocked my son from getting better on his own in a supervised setting but then allowed the QBs after my son's eligibility was up to put that extra supervised work in. That is it. But I understand you think JJ never had it from the beginning and that is completely fair but also unrelated to anything I mentioned in this thread at all.

You think his parents are sitting back after hearing about this thinking "Eh, whatever. Gus is letting the QBs work with outside coaches now but Jeremy just never had it in him in the first place so who cares? It wouldn't have made a difference for him" No as a parent you want to put your kid in the best position to succeed, and Gus' policy restricted that to an extent, and when JJ leaves, he finally allows QBs to get additional coaching. You can't see how that would rub someone the wrong way?

Let's just agree to disagree because I feel like I've typed my initial post 3x now. 

You keep claiming he "blocked" him. This implies that JJ and his parents had no other recourse. This is where you miss the entire point. If they didn't think he was getting the best coaching possible but hung out for 4 years anyways that is on them. There are literally hundreds of schools he could have played for. He CHOSE Auburn for his ENTIRE career. He could have transferred if he wanted to do something different. Crying about how sad it is for him and his parents completely removes them from any responsibility. If they didn't take care of their own responsibility of ensuring he was in the best place possible for him then that is on them. Not Gus.  They had the chance to transfer for his senior year and CHOSE not to. How is that on Gus?  The fact that you'd be pissed only means you are pissed that you were too lazy or irresponsible with your sons future that you are gonna blame it on someone else when in fact it would be YOURS AND YOUR SONS fault for not making better decisions for him. IF he would have benefitted so much from outside coaching and not getting the coaching he deserved and stayed anyways, it's not the coaches fault. It's called personal responsibility. You are responsible for yourself. Period. You cannot blame anyone else for your failures. You own them. You and you alone.   He has choices and this is what he chose.

4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

You keep claiming he "blocked" him. This implies that JJ and his parents had no other recourse. This is where you miss the entire point. If they didn't think he was getting the best coaching possible but hung out for 4 years anyways that is on them. There are literally hundreds of schools he could have played for. He CHOSE Auburn for his ENTIRE career. He could have transferred if he wanted to do something different. Crying about how sad it is for him and his parents completely removes them from any responsibility. If they didn't take care of their own responsibility of ensuring he was in the best place possible for him then that is on them. Not Gus.  They had the chance to transfer for his senior year and CHOSE not to. How is that on Gus?  The fact that you'd be pissed only means you are pissed that you were too lazy or irresponsible with your sons future that you are gonna blame it on someone else when in fact it would be YOURS AND YOUR SONS fault for not making better decisions for him. IF he would have benefitted so much from outside coaching and not getting the coaching he deserved and stayed anyways, it's not the coaches fault. It's called personal responsibility. You are responsible for yourself. Period. You cannot blame anyone else for your failures. You own them. You and you alone.   He has choices and this is what he chose.

That's cool man we can see it differently. I get your side of the argument, I really do. I don't agree with it 100% but I just think you're looking at it differently than me. It feels like unfortunate timing that Gus' realization that he is not, in fact, all that our QBs need coincides with when JJ is leaving the program after he and his family were sold on the idea that the people on staff will do an adequate job. And It's not about the failures to me. It's about the opportunities. Either way I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. I don't feel interested enough about this subject to keep going to be honest lol

:cheers:

Archived