2005 Depth Chart

Dlewis23

There is a good chance that McKenzie will move to Defensive End. I read that he was a better Defensive End in High school than tight end. Plus, Auburn is loaded with Cooper, Bennet, and Trott.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cole bennett is just an eligible tackle, cooper is no all-sec player, and trott hasn't proved anything more than mckenzie... which is nothing. we have bodies at tightend, but there is plenty of room for improvement. plus, you need to build depth. cooper is gone after this year. i think gabe'll stay there.

leon's going to play center in spring b/c steven ross is out with a knee injury. if he comes back strong that'll be a helluva battle in the fall b/c i think leon is more talented, but steven played well as a starter this year (when ingle got hurt... i think it was the ole miss game).

i really doubt troy gets moved. nall said he was the most consistent player on the line this year. i just don't see moving marcus to rt or starting a guy who's never started a game on your qb's blind side (which would happen if you start cox and move reddick). i think there's much better odds of a battle between duckworth (who played really well this year), palmer (who came in with as much hype as mcneill and reddick), and jarod britt (assuming he comes back healthy).

you got the wrong irons in the backfield. kenny irons (the tailback) wasn't hurt this year. david irons (the cornerback) tore his acl. kenny was on the practice squad all year sitting out his transfer year. i don't know how good he is either. the reason he excites me is his speed. carl looks a step slow to me too (not that you have to be a blazer to be a good running back... it just helps), and we all know tre lacks true break away speed (see bama game 02 when he gets run down from behind by like 3 guys). all of them do very different stuff from what i've seen. like i said, i don't really have a good feel for how that ends up.

the only thing i think i fail to see that everyone else apparently does is a laundry list of talent at the linebacker spots. i think travis, a.t., and kevin are the best linebackers in the sec far and away. who are the backups???? karibi dede is a very solid backup. that's one. kevis burnam is a senior who's never been able to get on the field. the only other linebackers on the roster are guys we redshirted last year and guys we just signed: harden, balkom, blackmon, sharpe, and if you count trahan, horton, and coleman. that's a lot of young guys that we have no idea about, and we're saying they are going to make up one third of our playing rotation at linebacker? that's a bold call.

i do see a lot of depth (with some experience) in the secondary. will is a two year starter, kevin is a former starter that has played corner and free safety, montae is a returning starter, david irons and wilhite come in from juco (you expect those guys to be able to produce pretty fast), tony bell and eric brock played mop up safety and special teams this year (brock has been here two years i think), gilbert played nickel this year. then you add the redshirt guys: steve gandy, ferguson, anthony campbell, tristan davis, and the new guys: mcfadden, powers, savage, and trahan. that's a lot more bodies with varying levels of experience. seems like there are guys to move around to other spots.

One thing people are looking over is who is going to return kicks. Tre has never been that impressive and most running backs don't make good return men since they are used to juking and dodging, a wideout should field punts at least, they go straight up the field and there is rarely a loss of yardage going up the field rather than trying to juke and run laterally. When was the last time Auburn returned a punt for a td?

well devin fielded kickoffs with caddilac this year. he'll do it again, but i really don't know who is going to take over punt and kickoff return duties. i agree that tre never did very well at it. heck of an athlete, that's just not one of his strengths. did any of the guys we just signed return kicks in high school? like aaron savage? his brother set the oklahoma/big 12 records for returns... maybe some of that is genetic.

I think that we will see someone like Prechae Rodriguez or one of the other WR that have sizzling speed returning both punts and kickoffs(along with Devin).JMO

Archived