2005 Depth Chart

Dlewis23

erik i really respect your opinions, but i guess i just have a different opinion of what we have and what we're doing. i don't think it'd be wasting will to get him in the two deep at linebacker (which i think he would be if moved). i think we've got two positions to fill on the two deep and regardless of what happens putting freshmen in those spots is a tough move.

i think we have depth at safety that needs to be on the field. with kevin moving back to free safety (he was there before irons was hurt and played some in the sugar bowl), that leaves you with hobbs, brock, bell, and gandy at two safety spots. if will starts one of them, that's just another great athlete on the bench. i'm not saying will stinks b/c i kinda like him. he's gotten a LOT better each year and he gives us all he has. i just think he's a better fit in our speed defensive scheme as close to the line as possible.

offensively, i just can't see trying to run a wide open, 3 receiver, one back system with a young qb. it's just so much easier to learn the tailback spot. i figure at least early on, we're going to see all three of them a lot, and i figure we're going to see two of them at the same time. tre has played upback in petrino's scheme. he's split out to the slot in nall's "scheme" (if we can call it that) even though we never really went to him. carl was openly compared to (and said he was modeling his game after) ronnie brown. that leads me to believe that he'll be seen blocking, catching, and running next year. i could be 100% wrong. that's just kinda where i see us going.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect to see a lot of short passes initially to CT and BO and AM and maybe a deep pass every now and then to DA just to stretch the defense. I just think that with wideout being one of our strongets point of the offense and an accurate QB in Cox and an athletic QB in Booker, both of which I think are capable of getting the ball to the receivers, I think it would be a shame not to utilize these guys. Also, with our defense expected to be top 5 quality again this year, I look for us to only go conservative for the first game agianst Ga. Tech. :no: This year defenses knew about the lethal nature of out running game so they stacked the line. Well now our guys are not as well known and many defenses will initillaly play honest which will allow our running game(Offensive line: another strength) to set the tempo then Bam, there goes Superfreak(#86) destroying secondaries :big: .

Think about our secondary last year-it wasn't great not because we didn't have good athletes but because of it's inexperience. This year we had an experienced secondary and I really believe that was our defense's biggest asset-frees everything else up-blitz etc.

I do not think we would argue that our secondary needs more help this year after losing Rosegreen and Rodgers than our LBs who lost no one and gained an all star. I do not see the logic in moving a two year starter away from the secondary if there is a place for him (SS)-he would play some at LB but with Blackmon, Antarrious, Travis, Sears, Balkcom, and Collier he would not be as valuable to our D as he would @SS.

I expect alot of 3 reciever sets-Borges utilizes the strengths of his players and with our depth at reciever and Cox accuracy we will see alot of short passes to free up the running game. Alot the ace is probably the most balanced formation-you can do it all from it.

-----------------------X---------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------X------------X--------------

--X------------X-X-X-X-X-X----------------X----

we also love the bunch set

-----------------------X---------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------X-------------X-------------

--X--------------X-X-X-X-X---X---------X-------

we saw alot of both formations this year and they are the base formations for most west coast teams because of their balance. Balance is the key for an effective offense and we will not try to just run the ball because of Cox's inexperience-we might keep it simple for a while but not conservative.

I bet we see some split backs too.

i think the debate about the potential changes in gameplans definitely welcomes in the offseason in full force. i think this is offseason equivalent of the nip right?

i am not at all insinuating that we will shift to even MORE running in the offense. i just think we've been much more successful during tubby's tenure here in two back sets. for whatever reason, we just haven't been good in ace sets, even with carnell or ronnie. i don't see jake getting completely forgotten, and i don't see dumping the one feature of the offense that makes us distinct from all the other offenses in the conference (dual tailback sets).

i think the depth at wide receiver will be used to exploit the defense, but i wouldn't be surprised if the backs out of the backfield had an equal number of catches this year as last year. i think we'll be throwing more (possibly a little less downfield) so the number of receptions is going to go up overall, and i think cooper, cole, tommy, and gabe give us depth and athletism at tight end that we haven't had maybe ever.

defensively, i think there are more spots to replace, but i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about the risk/benefit of getting more athletic while losing experience. i honestly believe kevin hobbs is going to start at free safety next year. if he's back there, that's a former starter and a guy who's played a LOT. pitts, with reasonable improvement, is going to be solid. irons, if he's healthy, is a guy the coaches were drooling over last year. that would be one starter, a former starter that gives you versatility (a safety with coverage skills), and a former juco all-american. i'd say getting the best player in the other spot has minimal risk. you say losing will's experience would be too big a loss. i can see both sides.

i think there is a lot to replace in the linebacking corp (although i think we return the best corp in the sec). travis has to be able to leave the field without us falling apart. mayo gave us that for the most part; we have to find it again. a.t. didn't have a fully capable backup last year, and there's no one at all there now. harden? balkom? blackmon? sharpe? those guys are all pot shots. if you move dede over to that side, you still have a hole to fill behind sears. i think there's room for a playmaker, and will could be that guy. maybe not. i'd be just as comfortable with him at safety; it's just a thought.

again, nice having you here in the official offseason.

i am not at all insinuating that we will shift to even MORE running in the offense. i just think we've been much more successful during tubby's tenure here in two back sets. for whatever reason, we just haven't been good in ace sets, even with carnell or ronnie. i don't see jake getting completely forgotten, and i don't see dumping the one feature of the offense that makes us distinct from all the other offenses in the conference (dual tailback sets).

we ran the ace all year this year-it and the bunch were our base formations :huh: -until this year we haven't really had two RBs in the backfield. Just because we run a base set without a FB doesn't mean that Jake will be forgotten-he will probably play more than he did this year-I've read where Borges wants to go to more 2 TE sets but couldn't this past year because of lack of depth-so we will probably see more of that too.

defensively, i think there are more spots to replace, but i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about the risk/benefit of getting more athletic while losing experience. i honestly believe kevin hobbs is going to start at free safety next year. if he's back there, that's a former starter and a guy who's played a LOT. pitts, with reasonable improvement, is going to be solid. irons, if he's healthy, is a guy the coaches were drooling over last year. that would be one starter, a former starter that gives you versatility (a safety with coverage skills), and a former juco all-american. i'd say getting the best player in the other spot has minimal risk. you say losing will's experience would be too big a loss. i can see both sides.

why wasn't Hobbs starting last year? Herring beat him out. Herring is slow defending the deep ball but I don't think Hobbs is better at doing anything better than him-even athletically-he has never impressed me

Irons and Pitts were fighting over the spot last summer-I don't think that qualifies as "drooling over"-he did have an edge over Pitts though-This is a perfect example of smarts vs. athletes in the secondary-Irons is the smarter player Pitts is much more athletic-CTT wanted to go with smarts. How did we compensate this year for losing 5 of our front 7? Experienced secondary

i think there is a lot to replace in the linebacking corp (although i think we return the best corp in the sec). travis has to be able to leave the field without us falling apart. mayo gave us that for the most part; we have to find it again. a.t. didn't have a fully capable backup last year, and there's no one at all there now. harden? balkom? blackmon? sharpe? those guys are all pot shots. if you move dede over to that side, you still have a hole to fill behind sears. i think there's room for a playmaker, and will could be that guy. maybe not. i'd be just as comfortable with him at safety; it's just a thought.

I'm not arguing that we do not need depth at LB-just that using a starter for depth at another position is not the way to address it-experience is not as important at LB as in the secondary. The secondary is last line of defense so any mistakes made are bigger because there is no one backing them up. We have younger players to provide depth at LB-I would have no problem with a true freshman coming in and playing LB-secondary is another story. I do not know if you noticed but think how much we switched guys in and out at LB-we played our second teamers on the third series most games-we did not do that much in the secondary because if someone makes a mistake it's a touchdown. Collier will provide alot of depth in the middle-he was doing excellent at practices.

just my opinion :big:

I too think Kenny Irons will be an explosive back. Carl Stewart has never impressed me. Irons was a beast at A-Day. But we shall see.

DLewis... when we gonna play?

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Irons being the starter next year. In regards to Stewart, Borges made several comparisons to Ronnie Brown this past season. He even went as far as saying that Stewart could fill the role that Brown played in 2004. In fact, Borges said that he knew about CW and RB when he arrived on the Plains but it was Stewart that caught his attention when they started to install the offense.

2 cents

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Irons being the starter next year. In regards to Stewart, Borges made several comparisons to Ronnie Brown this past season. He even went as far as saying that Stewart could fill the role that Brown played in 2004. In fact, Borges said that he knew about CW and RB when he arrived on the Plains but it was Stewart that caught his attention when they started to install the offense.

2 cents

144230[/snapback]

I don't understand how you think that Irons will start when Borges said it was Stewart that caught his attention :D

I do not have that strong an opinion on who will start at HB but I just see Stewart getting alot of carries because he is IMO the most durable and versitle (sp) and the strongest runner-all big positives in this conference. He does have good hands catching so that is a big plus. I have a hard time seeing Irons carrying the load-he will play alot and get alot of carries but I think Stewart will be the workhorse.

People talk big about him just b/c of what he did during ADay last year-I'm more curious to see him in it this year.

Watch out for Lestor

we didn't run the ace as a base set last year in any game i can find. we may have motioned into the ace, but most of the plays were a two back formation with ronnie and carnell moving around to various places. the most productive running we did was when ronnie (or jake) was lead blocking or when ronnie was in with jake. the only time i can think under tubby when we had a really good ace set was with rudi. think about how bad the running game looked without brandon johnson. i think it may have something to do with our run blocking style that needs that man to lead through the hole.

the reason i said the coaches were drooling over david was b/c chizik was quoted as saying (completely incorrectly i might add) that irons was the best corner we had in coverage. i think it was to light a fire under carlos, but he still said it. i don't think montae had any hope of starting before that injury. and we played freshmen in the secondary rotation this year: zach gilbert. he played nickel back basically from game five or so on.

i have been impressed with kevin. he's a solid tackler without enough make up speed to play corner. but he does have a lot more speed than will, and i think he's a little better "in space" as the analysts say. i think he'd be a stud ala trob if we moved him to safety... he's got a huge upside with little experience at the position.

lemme ask you another question (mainly b/c i'm enjoying this). who do you see as the starter at center and who is going to get the spring reps with ross hurt? i have no idea what will ward brings to the table b/c he's a scholarship guy who's run 3rd and 4th string for what two or three years? then we have walk-on joe cope. that's it. i gotta think leon hart, who tubby claimed last fall could play center, gets some run in there, but will we keep him in there if steven comes back healthy. talk about a position that needs experience... that's a big requirement there.

we didn't run the ace as a base set last year in any game i can find. we may have motioned into the ace

same thing-we used alot of shifting this year-there are alot of variations of the ace but we either came out in it or shifted into it, alot-It and the bunch were our base formations-we didn't run it as much towards the end of the year starting with the UGA game.

and we played freshmen in the secondary rotation this year: zach gilbert. he played nickel back basically from game five or so on.

Dedi, Graves, and Sowell played OLB, OLB and MLB-alot-Gilbert playing nickelback isn't him playing cornerback for a quarter of the game-we did work a couple of younger guys in towards the end of the year when the coaches were a little more comfortable doing it

I heard somewhere that Hart was going to play center-I would like to see it b/c it would put our best players on the field-I listed Ward just because that is the only other C I knew :big:

steven's a buddy of mine so i'm selfishly rooting for him. i just have this feeling that if leon gets time there, he may be tough to move away from there in the fall.

i think the fact that dede played so much is a testament to the fact that will could get serious run in his first year as a linebacker. he's a smart guy. he could pick it up in a flash. is still say he'd crack the two deep.

the running backs are a total guess to me. that's why i say we'll play them all... so i don't have to pick ;) . honestly, if tre is healthy, he's going to be tough to keep off the field. he is really good, but for whatever reason, he's easy to forget about too. i wouldn't be surprised to see anyone of the three get a majority of the carries really.

yeah-I really don't know what is going to happen at HB-what's probably going to happen is all of them will be in the hunt this spring and summer and someone is going to prove more effective and get 70% of the carries when the fall hits

I think we will have a good idea after this spring-I'm ready to see who separates themself

Does anyone else see Tray Blackmon as a Thomas Davis type safety? I have wtched his game tapes and he is a knockout in run support. Can't get a read on any coverage skills though. I think that it is going to be impossible to keep TB off of the feild and he will rotate in at SS as well as LB.

DLewis... when we gonna play?

144222[/snapback]

PC, you're in Auburn right, how can we play?

Is it me or is Carl Stewart slower than the other running backs? I've seen him in several games and he just looked avg. in the speed dept. I think Irons and Stewart will get a split of the touches early on and then whoever stands out will get the majority down the stretch. Moving Will to LB is not a very good move at all, he may be slow but how many times does he make a big tackle or gets a needed int. This will one of the best wr corps :au: has had in a long time and I think Gorgeous Borges will let Cox throw to them early and often. All this aside, it is fun to banter about this and speculate about that. Egg rolls are done!

I don't think we will see any RB next year getting 70%+ in carries. Tre is going to be starting. Irons and Stewart will be batling for #2. Irons will have a tougher road b/c of not playing this year and being out injured.

The offensive line is going to be solid. Probably the best line we may have seen at :au: ever. They are going to be BIG and good. I think we see McNeil and Dunlap at the tackles. I think we see Grubbs and Reddick at guards. Yes Reddick gets moved inside. I think we still see Ross at C, but don't count out Hart.

I don't think there are any questions about WRs. Look for more than Obomanu, Aromashadu, Mix, and Taylor rotating. I think we see a lot more of 4, even 5 wide sets this coming year. Cox has the arm to throw it down field. The question will be, will he learn the defenses quick enough to make the adjustments, unlike he did this year in mop up duty. Hopefully, with 2 years under a OC, unlike Jason got the benefit of, Cox and even Booker will grow up quicker. Hopefully come into there on.

I think we see Cox as the starter opening day against Ga Tech. Maybe even a highly effective 2 QB rotation.??? Doubt it, but Cox is starter.

Defense line and LBs will be loaded with talent. Look for Tez Doolittle to make an impact this next year on the DL, along with Tray at reserve LB. No let down speed or athletic wise with our second team DL and LBs. Secondary?? With all the talent at LB I doubt we see Herring move. Maybe to SS to become more run support, but not LB. The JUCO transfer CB will be in the hunt for a starting spot. We will be killer against the run better than this year, mediocre against pass.

2 cents

144230[/snapback]

I don't understand how you think that Irons will start when Borges said it was Stewart that caught his attention :D

I do not have that strong an opinion on who will start at HB but I just see Stewart getting alot of carries because he is IMO the most durable and versitle (sp) and the strongest runner-all big positives in this conference. He does have good hands catching so that is a big plus. I have a hard time seeing Irons carrying the load-he will play alot and get alot of carries but I think Stewart will be the workhorse.

People talk big about him just b/c of what he did during ADay last year-I'm more curious to see him in it this year.

Watch out for Lestor

144237[/snapback]

Well...were you at A-Day last year? Kenny and Carl will probably do the CW and Ronnie act this year...IMHO....

:au::homer:

Well...were you at A-Day last year? Kenny and Carl will probably do the CW and Ronnie act this year...IMHO....

:au:   :homer:

145097[/snapback]

yeah since kenny did so well in A-Day last year he's should probably be on the preseason Heisman list :no:

the second team offensive line was raping the second team defensive line during the spring last year-period-this is before Groves moved to DE and Stanley could stop the run and I don't know who we had at DTs-I want to see him in it this year-if he does well then I'll get on the "Kenny is amazing" bandwagon-right now I'm thinking we will take a step back in our offense losing CW and RB

I read on a pay site that Leon Hart who will move to center this spring. After working primarily at left tackle last fall.

"Leon Hart is going to center for the spring," said Nall. "He'll get some tackle work also. He's a really talented young man that once he learns the communication and the recognition of the defenses, he can be a really good center."

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound Hart played in 12 games as a true freshman.

We lost some possible depth at center. A redshirt Junior has left the team for medical reasons. Maybe Leon is the answer. :au:

Archived