Greg Brown

auburn4ever

On 1/7/2017 at 8:14 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Any feedback from verbal Carlito Gonzalez re this hire? He was pretty disappointed when crimedog left. 

Make what you will of it.  I don't speak high school athlete. I think he's happy.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

I remember Gardner and Craig being pretty big. Muschamp brought huge buzz as well. 

Gus didn't have a choice with RG. He was going to be here no matter who AU hired in 2012. And DC turned down AU the first time but RG reached out again and got DC. 

The rest were Gus. McGiff was a Gus hire. Horton also. Steele too. Boom. All Gus.  

I was underwhelmed with Steele. Turned out to be a great hire. So I'll sit back and wait on Greg Brown. Will say this. AU needs another top recruiter on this staff in a very bad way. 

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus didn't have a choice with RG. He was going to be here no matter who AU hired in 2012. And DC turned down AU the first time but RG reached out again and got DC. 

The rest were Gus. McGiff was a Gus hire. Horton also. Steele too. Boom. All Gus.  

I was underwhelmed with Steele. Turned out to be a great hire. So I'll sit back and wait on Greg Brown. Will say this. AU needs another top recruiter on this staff in a very bad way. 

I'm was in the same boat with you on the Steele hire. I was not impressed. Goes to show its only an educated guess on how the hires will work out. But my main concern with Brown is the recruiting aspect. Maybe we can add that extra coach to the D side and get another young guy to coach DBs or safeties. Brown can do the coaching and the other guy can do the recruiting. Outside of TWill our D coaches are a little long in the tooth

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

What I find humorous is the guys that get angry and start correcting everybody who questions a hire are the EXACT people who meltdown during games that insult the players and all of that....it's like Dr.Jekyll/Mr. Hyde 

I haven't seen that, nor is that me.  I hope no one is trashing the players themselves.  Glad I have missed seeing those posts.

I believe my response to the Steele higher was "meh"  like what he did so far.  I do think that Brown is gonna be better at coaching fundamentals as he seems to fit the "technician" type however we really need a home run recruiter added to the staff in some shape or form.

I like the hire. Solid teaching coach who despite the naysayers has recruited fairly well at other programs.  I keep hearing those against him that we need another recruiting home run type of guy.  Auburn has basically been near a top 10 recruiting school for last 6-8 years. When you compete heads up against bama a recruiting juggernaut both in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and you compete with Georgia in Georgia and then in Florida you have to compete against Florida, FSU, and Miami all home state schools we are doing pretty darn good at recruiting.  The reality is it does not matter who our recruiters are with the states we recruit in and the competition we recruit against we will never be a consistent top 5 team. 

For those people who think we should always be a 9-3 10-2 team or better every year you are not being realistic. We are in a conference that most years produces 5-7 top 20 teams then add in we play at least one really good out of conference team like Clemson you can have a good team and still go 8-4 some years.

bama a perennial recruiting Power House

LSU a perennial recruiting Power House

Georgia a perennial recruiting Power House

Florida a perennial recruiting Power House

Missississipi and MSU are recruiting very well last few years

Texas A&M recruiting well in Texas and some in Louisiana

The reality is to many Auburn fans have unrealistic views of where they think Auburn should be in college football. We are capable of periodically getting to championship level football but to expect us to do it year in a year out is ignoring the quality of the teams and the players we play against every year.

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The reality is it does not matter who our recruiters are with the states we recruit in and the competition we recruit against we will never be a consistent top 5 team. 

For those people who think we should always be a 9-3 10-2 team or better every year you are not being realistic. We are in a conference that most years produces 5-7 top 20 teams then add in we play at least one really good out of conference team like Clemson you can have a good team and still go 8-4 some years.

The reality is to many Auburn fans have unrealistic views of where they think Auburn should be in college football. We are capable of periodically getting to championship level football but to expect us to do it year in a year out is ignoring the quality of the teams and the players we play against every year.

Again, this attitude from a majority of our fans is why we are who we are.  May not ever change.

And for my "wow" hire: Did we contact Jeff Fisher?  I hear he's looking for work.;D

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Again, this attitude from a majority of our fans is why we are who we are.  May not ever change.

And for my "wow" hire: Did we contact Jeff Fisher?  I hear he's looking for work.;D

We love Auburn but we are realistic. Do you really think we can out recruit bama year in and year out with the advantages they have the REC and remarkably friendly in state Press Corps, NCAA that won't look into their infringements, the bama name and Saban. Do you honestly think we can recruit Georgia better than Georgia the Home State Team. The state of Florida is very fertile ground but we are competing against 3 in state teams plus other schools poaching the state. There are areas of Alabama we do well in the same for Georgia and Florida and being in the top ten is no small accomplishment. bama is almost always number 1 or 2 with LSU close behind and  Georgia near top 5 just by keeping in state players.  That is a lot of competition we have had some super star recruiters, Craig, Trooper, etc still we only get a top 5 class every now and then. My opinion as a fan does not change the recruiting landscape whether I am willing to settle for top 10 classes or only will accept top 5 classes.

You are giving the fan base to much credit if you think that recruiting is affected by our opinions.  I want us to go undefeated every year but what I want and reality are two different things.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like the hire. Solid teaching coach who despite the naysayers has recruited fairly well at other programs.  I keep hearing those against him that we need another recruiting home run type of guy.  Auburn has basically been near a top 10 recruiting school for last 6-8 years. When you compete heads up against bama a recruiting juggernaut both in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and you compete with Georgia in Georgia and then in Florida you have to compete against Florida, FSU, and Miami all home state schools we are doing pretty darn good at recruiting.  The reality is it does not matter who our recruiters are with the states we recruit in and the competition we recruit against we will never be a consistent top 5 team. 

I'll agree us (or anybody for that matter) doing what bama has done the last 10 years should not be expected. But it should be possible for AU to have 2-3 10 win seasons in a row. No one is asking for championships every year. We just want more good years than bad/average years. Over the last 15ish year good years have been few and far between. But when they are good they are really good!

Don't get me wrong, you make some valid points, but our production has not lived up to our recruiting over the past ten or so years.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are giving the fan base to much credit if you think that recruiting is affected by our opinions.  I want us to go undefeated every year but what I want and reality are two different things.

I don't think recruiting is affected by the fan base (it could help I suppose if fans are very visible in a recruits community and try to show Auburn in a good light).  But, I do think that the fan base's willingness to accept mediocrity in the AD position, and the football HC position has led us to have what we have now.  IF we as a fan base did not accept it, it would change.  But, like I say, currently it appears the majority of fans are ok with mediocrity in our football program.

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'll agree us (or anybody for that matter) doing what bama has done the last 10 years should not be expected. But it should be possible for AU to have 2-3 10 win seasons in a row. No one is asking for championships every year. We just want more good years than bad/average years. Over the last 15ish year good years have been few and far between. But when they are good they are really good!

With the talent we recruit I think we can have 2 10 win or better seasons in a row but with the level of competition we can then have a couple of 8 win seasons in a row also. My point is I think it would be very hard in this conference not to have some down years.

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With the talent we recruit I think we can have 2 10 win or better seasons in a row but with the level of competition we can then have a couple of 8 win seasons in a row also. My point is I think it would be very hard in this conference not to have some down years.

Heads up, here comes another spin of a broken record: My personal perspective is that I'm much less attached to the W-L numbers than how the individual games play out. 8-5 doesn't bother me all that much. The way the Clemson and UGA games were coached does. Also, Jeremy Johnson's struggles don't bother me. Recruiting John Franklin and then actually trying to shoehorn him into the QB1 spot- especially over Sean White- does. 

Gus has recruited well. He's made mostly great hires. It's when he inexplicably squanders away that kind of capital that I get antsy.  

I trust that Greg Brown will be fine, and I can't name somebody we should have hired instead. (Useless comment trying to bring it back around...)

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I'm was in the same boat with you on the Steele hire. I was not impressed. Goes to show its only an educated guess on how the hires will work out. But my main concern with Brown is the recruiting aspect. Maybe we can add that extra coach to the D side and get another young guy to coach DBs or safeties. Brown can do the coaching and the other guy can do the recruiting. Outside of TWill our D coaches are a little long in the tooth

Can you elaborate?  It appears you're suggesting older guys can't recruit as well as their younger counterparts.

WDE!

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Heads up, here comes another spin of a broken record: My personal perspective is that I'm much less attached to the W-L numbers than how the individual games play out. 8-5 doesn't bother me all that much. The way the Clemson and UGA games were coached does. Also, Jeremy Johnson's struggles don't bother me. Recruiting John Franklin and then actually trying to shoehorn him into the QB1 spot- especially over Sean White- does. 

Gus has definitely had growing pains (Highlighted items X1000), but he has yet to make a bad hire. Even Ellis Johnson was an acceptable hire for a first time SEC head coach.

55 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus has definitely had growing pains (Highlighted items X1000), but he has yet to make a bad hire. Even Ellis Johnson was an acceptable hire for a first time SEC head coach.

I put the JF3 recruitment on Lashlee. He got wowed after seeing him in one game and hoped he would catch that lightning in a bottle again. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. lol

10 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I put the JF3 recruitment on Lashlee. He got wowed after seeing him in one game and hoped he would catch that lightning in a bottle again. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. lol

I think there may be more to the story, but I doubt we'll ever hear it.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I think there may be more to the story, but I doubt we'll ever hear it.

Until JF3 publishes his autobiography. ;)

1 hour ago, MadtownTiger said:

Can you elaborate?  It appears you're suggesting older guys can't recruit as well as their younger counterparts.

WDE!

Yup, i am suggesting that old white guys have more difficulty recruiting players. I know that isn't PC and all so apologies to those that take offense :)

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:01 AM, cole256 said:

We've always done well in Georgia and do fairly well against bammer, they just can go out and get top players in other states like Cali, Texas, and Virginia. We haven't been shut down like we were this year in Georgia as long as I've been keeping up with recruiting

I tend to agree with to some point. However, we did pretty well in Georgia with landing 5 star Brown and 4 star Jackson. We will likely get some good solid players out of GA for 2017 I think that Kirby is a great recruiter, but a decent HC at best. Lets see what happens for 2017-2020. I think that Kirby will lose his job thereafter with posting 5 or more loses each season.

I am fine with the hiring of Coach Brown. He has a solid resume that includes NFL and college coaching experience. I think he will be the kind of coach that you do not hear much about in that he knows his craft and can relate this successfully to his players and goes about his job quietly..

I think we should not WANT to hear from the assistant coaches, other than what happens in development and on the field. Recruiting and techniques are how i want the assistant coaches to excel. The rest takes care of itself.

And age has NOTHING to do with how well they recruit. If he has a good track record and ANY kind of NFL pedigree in coaching, they will get the attention of these young men. If age is that important the case Saban would get zero credit, but even though he is not the coach beating the bushes for recruits, he is going into homes..and meeting these players and he is what over 65 now?

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You get the ROCK STAR head coach who is great and it all changes! Fsu was not fsu until bobby bowden. Florida was not florida till Spurrier and so on and so forth with other schools. We need that to happen to us. Pat Dye was not on those guys levels but he was close. We have not found anyone anywhere close to dye since. WHICH makes it amazing the highs we have accomplished without  1 really good coach. Shows you Auburn really is a true sleeping giant. Top 12 all time in wins shows we should expect 10 win seasons year in year out.  ( I think tubs was pretty good but nothing special.) WE HAVE to commit to football from the administration down. We are falling behind in a big way in the facilities arms race. Jordan Hare God love that ol girl but she needs some major plastic surgery. BUT HEY GUYS JAY GOT US A JUMBOTRON!! WOOO!!! ALL IS WELL! Auburn is great should be great  but our biggest weakness is the fanbase and administration NOT REALIZING IT!! Auburn hurts Auburn more than any other program I have seen.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

You get the ROCK STAR head coach who is great and it all changes! Fsu was not fsu until bobby bowden. Florida was not florida till Spurrier and so on and so forth with other schools. We need that to happen to us.

But, interestingly, it's not just the coach, it's the right coach at the right time in the right school. Spurrier wasn't able to come close to repeating what he did at Florida a South Carolina.  Did he forget how to coach? No... Florida just had more to offer, more recruiting capability, etc. Saban was just another coach at LSU... no better than Miles.  Then he gets to bama and he's the god of all coaches.  Why? Because bama has many advantages if coaches are willing to take advantage of them.

EVERY coach is going to have an uphill battle at Auburn because Auburn has to recruit against the SEC, and directly against the bama machine. Auburn also has the most aggressive compliance department in the SEC, which takes away some of the advantages other schools might have. We also have the bama driven media machine and the crimson neck army talking crap about us 24/7/365 which can clutter recruits impression of our school. Oh yea... and then there's the internal meddling.

Let's face it, it's A LOT easier to build a dynasty at bama, Ohio, Michigan, FSU, Notre Dame, USC, etc than it is at Auburn, no matter how good a coach is. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You get the ROCK STAR head coach who is great and it all changes! Fsu was not fsu until bobby bowden. Florida was not florida till Spurrier and so on and so forth with other schools. We need that to happen to us. Pat Dye was not on those guys levels but he was close. We have not found anyone anywhere close to dye since. WHICH makes it amazing the highs we have accomplished without  1 really good coach. Shows you Auburn really is a true sleeping giant. Top 12 all time in wins shows we should expect 10 win seasons year in year out.  ( I think tubs was pretty good but nothing special.) WE HAVE to commit to football from the administration down. We are falling behind in a big way in the facilities arms race. Jordan Hare God love that ol girl but she needs some major plastic surgery. BUT HEY GUYS JAY GOT US A JUMBOTRON!! WOOO!!! ALL IS WELL! Auburn is great should be great  but our biggest weakness is the fanbase and administration NOT REALIZING IT!! Auburn hurts Auburn more than any other program I have seen.

Bobby Bowden was not an instant Super Star at FSU it took him about 10 years before his team was consistently great: This was playing in a much weaker conference then Auburn especially at that time..

76 5-6

77 10-2

78 8-3

79 11-1

80 10-2

81 6-5

82 9-3

83 8-4

84 7-3

85 9-3

86 7-4

After that he rocks it.

At Auburn with our Alumni he probably would have been gone.

Spurrier was great coach at Duke where his record speaks for itself to do so well at that school and he rocked it at Florida with the talent they had and his coaching skill it was a perfect fit but at SC his first 5 or 6 years wasn't that great then he got good again. No doubt he is a Super Star Coach but as SC proved even a Super Star needs the right talent.

Some times you have to stick with a coach a while.  I am not saying that Gus will become a Super Star but we sometimes pull the plug to quick.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

But, interestingly, it's not just the coach, it's the right coach at the right time in the right school. Spurrier wasn't able to come close to repeating what he did at Florida a South Carolina.  Did he forget how to coach? No... Florida just had more to offer, more recruiting capability, etc. Saban was just another coach at LSU... no better than Miles.  Then he gets to bama and he's the god of all coaches.  Why? Because bama has many advantages if coaches are willing to take advantage of them.

EVERY coach is going to have an uphill battle at Auburn because Auburn has to recruit against the SEC, and directly against the bama machine. Auburn also has the most aggressive compliance department in the SEC, which takes away some of the advantages other schools might have. We also have the bama driven media machine and the crimson neck army talking crap about us 24/7/365 which can clutter recruits impression of our school. Oh yea... and then there's the internal meddling.

Let's face it, it's A LOT easier to build a dynasty at bama, Ohio, Michigan, FSU, Notre Dame, USC, etc than it is at Auburn, no matter how good a coach is. 

Why do you not think the right coach would come in and do what spurrier did at florida?! WHY DOES THE AUBURN FAMILY ALWAYS TRY TO PLAY DOWN HOW GOOD WE SHOULD AND COULD BE with the right coach and the administration helping us instead of hurting us? Its all about the coach baby. If gus can get us top 10 recruiting classes you dang sure better believe if we got a legit really good- great coach could get us top 5.  Auburn is top 12 all time in wins even with all the negative things you just posted above. Auburn is a fringe top 10 program all time and could easily be a perennially top 10 team year in year out competing for the playoffs and stringing together 10 wins seasons. Is gus that guy? Nope. Is JJ the guy to make the kind of hire we need? HECK NO. hopefully the new president ushers him out. thats our only shot. Am I saying Auburn could ever go on the run saban is on? absolutely not. why? there is only one saban. saban could do that at any of the top sec schools. its not just mutually exclusive to alabama. 

Archived