Nick Coe

aubiefifty

al.com

Why Auburn believes freshman defensive end Nick Coe will be a 'special player'

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

When Nick Coe arrived at Auburn for the start of fall camp, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele had his players go around the meeting room and introduce themselves. The freshman defensive end was, if nothing else, cocksure.

The 6-foot-6, 255-pound defensive end stood up and introduced himself to his new teammates and coaches. He made quite a first impression, too.

"When Nick stood up, he goes, 'I am Nick Coe from Asheboro, North Carolina. I'm a three-time All-American wrassler, and I'm really good," defensive line coach Rodney Garner recalled in August. "'I'm really good. I play defensive end, and I'm really good.'"

Just how good remains to be seen for the redshirting freshman, but Garner had some early inclinations about his young defensive end, who he described as a "Slinky" with an impressive skillset during fall camp.

"I've never had one who introduced himself like that," Garner said. "I don't know, but he's really good."

Coe, a former four-star prospect who was rated as the No. 13 strong-side defensive end in the 2016 recruiting class by the 247 Composite rankings, brings a unique skillset to Auburn. A former two-time state wrestling champion back home in North Carolina, where he also claimed two national titles and All-America honors, Coe's background gives him impressive body control and use of his hands.

It's a skillset the Tigers are hoping can help him become an effective pass-rushing defensive end in the future.

"I think Nick Coe's going to be like a great player," senior defensive tackle Montravius Adams said. "I don't really know how to explain all of it but I feel that Nick Coe will be a special player here at Auburn.... I can see it, just from the hand-eye coordination part. Just being on the defensive line, everything happens fast so with you being able to come off and being able to catch an offensive lineman in the hands, especially as a freshman, it's impressive either way."

Coe has been one of Auburn's young players to gain some notice during the team's early Sugar Bowl practices, with Adams, defensive tackle Dontavius Russell and coach Gus Malzahn all praising the budding defensive end.

"Really everything, with him being able to come off," Adams said. "You see the power, you see how strong he is. You see how he can disengage. Usually that's just something that takes a little while for a young guy to learn, but you see he has the strength to do it all. ... You can see him doing it at a young age consistently. He'll be a great player."

Coe has been repping at the Buck defensive end position in practice after serving on the scout team all season. His emergence there could help provide Auburn with added depth at the position next season, especially with writing on the wall indicating that junior Carl Lawson will forgo his final season of eligibility and declare for April's NFL Draft, where he is expected to be a first- or second-round selection.

With Lawson likely gone, Jeff Holland is next in line at Buck. Given Auburn's numbers on the defensive line and the coaching staff's affinity for rotating heavily up front, Coe's development could put him in a position to factor into the two-deep next season.

The early bowl practices were particularly beneficial for Coe, who was able to spend more time around Lawson, a player considered by many to be among the nation's premier pass-rushers.

"I think it's real beneficial to just watch people and see what works for them and see what you can get from there game and how you can help," Russell said. "For Nick to be able to watch Carl, it's the same thing. He can pick up from him and learn from him."

While Coe has shown some promise early for Auburn, Malzahn still wants to see what the freshman can offer after he gets a full spring and summer training program under his belt. After all, he has only been on campus for five months.

"Nick Coe has a skillset that can play defensive end; there's no doubt," Malzahn said. "We'll have to get out in the spring, but just raw ability, he's got a lot of raw ability. It's just a matter of ... spring, I'll be able to answer that question a little better. But I've been impressed with him so far."

He has the skill set to be a player in the mode of Carl Lawson.  I would to see him come in and immediately fill the void that CL will leave when he declares for the NFL. Is there any chance whatsoever for CL coming back for his senior season? This would be super news. However, CL needs to do what he feels in the best move for his career. If he does declare for the NFL, I hope ends up with the Panthers or the Saints.

Possibly my favorite on the defensive side of the ball in last years class. Being able to move that well for a big guy then factor in the upper body strength and use of hands his upside is tremendous.

His wrestling skills will really benefit him playing the Buck position. Can't wait to see him on the field.

I have been saying since August this kid will turn heads and still stand behind it.  I wonder if RG has knocked a little of his cockiness off of him.  Surprised he said that in front of people like Carl Lawson and Mon Adams.

22 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Coe will be better than Lawson. Bold prediction. Just trying to stir the board up.

He very well may do just that,it's just to soon to know.I'm one that thinks Lawson should stay for his senior year.It would benefit I'm greatly.

18 minutes ago, kd4au said:

He very well may do just that,it's just to soon to know.I'm one that thinks Lawson should stay for his senior year.It would benefit I'm greatly.

I have a feeling he is coming back

I wouldn't mind seeing Coe develop into the type of player who can put QB'S into a slam-bang-thank you mam hold. In other words, be the kind of player who the opposition hates to see coming.:wareagle:

Archived