Marquis McClain

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn redshirting freshman receiver Marquis McClain 'could make some noise' next season

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Marquis McClain was the only one of Auburn's four freshman receivers in the 2016 signing class to redshirt this season. While his three counterparts -- Kyle Davis, Nate Craig-Myers and Eli Stove -- all had their moments in the spotlight this season, McClain will have to wait until 2017 for his.

That doesn't mean he hasn't already turned some heads within the program.

"The guy who's really caught my eye is Marquis McClain," sophomore running back Kerryon Johnson said. "He redshirted this year. He's one of the biggest guys on offense, period. In terms of just physique. When he gets playing physical and gets a couple of snaps under his belt playing at our level, I mean, he could be a guy who could make some noise next year."

McClain signed with Auburn in February out of Crestview High in Florida. He was regarded as a three-star receiver by the 247Sports composite rankings, and he was the least heralded of Auburn's haul of prospects at the position. McClain was rated as the No. 72 receiver in the country, while Craig-Myers, Davis and Stove were ranked sixth, ninth and 20th, respectively.  

The numbers game kept McClain off the field this fall, but with Auburn using its early bowl practices last week to focus on its younger players in anticipation of next year, McClain took advantage of his opportunity after spending the season on the scout team.

"Marquis is a very talented young man," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "They've been talking about him all year on the scout team making plays. He's doing a super job. He's one of those guys that made some plays when we put the ball down and let those guys play for the three or four days that we did.

"He's a very talented guy and there's no doubt he'll help us in the future. He'll be in the mix next year."

McClain's biggest asset is his size. The 6-foot-2, 208-pound receiver will be the second-biggest receiver on the roster next season, just behind Davis, who is listed at 6-foot-2, 219 pounds. Malzahn praised McClain's hands, vertical leap and ability to stretch the field, and while he spent the season working at slot receiver, the Tigers' fourth-year head coach did not close the door on possibly using the big target at tight end some next season.

"If you ever see him, he literally looks like a linebacker," Johnson said. "I mean, he's cut. He's huge. Once he plays physical on a consistent basis, I think he could do very (well) for us."

Maybe we'll actually throw it to the tight end. Nah, who am I kidding? Truthfully though it sounds very encouraging for McClain. It's always good when your teammates talk you up. 

57 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Most irrelevant quote in a long time. A4E, is that you?

Did you read the article about playing him at tight end or did you just knock my post for no reason?

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Did you read the article about playing him at tight end or did you just knock my post for no reason?

There's no reason to say anything negative. Whether he plays TE some or none at all. That was just unnecessary

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There's no reason to say anything negative. Whether he plays TE some or none at all. That was just unnecessary

lol he is knocking gus not the player. Knocking gus for a obvious problem since he has been coach is totally fair game for a guy making north of 4 mill a year.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Just ignore him. We understood the funny joke you were making. Also, you did spit some positivity towards McClain. All relevant if you ask me.

We already signed a big tight in from California JUCO ranks. He will be a force at TE and will give us another threat with our passing game. Who knows, maybe Gus will have JS going behind center in the "I" formation? Nah.....wont happen and for good reason or not?

Back to Mr. McClain. With him in the mix or WRs, we should have one of the best receiving corps that will have our passing game humming in 2017.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

We already signed a big tight in from California JUCO ranks. He will be a force at TE and will give us another threat with our passing game. Who knows, maybe Gus will have JS going behind center in the "I" formation? Nah.....wont happen and for good reason or not?

Back to Mr. McClain. With him in the mix or WRs, we should have one of the best receiving corps that will have our passing game humming in 2017.

Gus and passing game just do not go together!!! haha I will always be scared in games when we have to pass to beat teams under gus. As great as he is in designing a dynamic run game he is equally bad in getting a passing attack designed to hurt teams. I fear we will not maximimize Stidhams and our stud talented young wrs potential with gus at the helm.

10 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Unless a complete 180 from his traditional game plan, none of the receivers will be utilized to their fullest potential 

its sad but probaly true. I wish I could dispute this but I cannot.

5 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Probably one TE reception in the last TWO years had something to do with the statement.

How about this - with the positive additions at QB position recently, I see us using WRs and TEs like never before!   How's that for positivity in the Christmas season???

28 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

How about this - with the positive additions at QB position recently, I see us using WRs and TEs like never before!   How's that for positivity in the Christmas season???

You know, this could be true in given time. Jacobs should strongly suggest to Gus that this is what is needed to take us to the next level and compete for NCs again.

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus and passing game just do not go together!!! haha I will always be scared in games when we have to pass to beat teams under gus. As great as he is in designing a dynamic run game he is equally bad in getting a passing attack designed to hurt teams. I fear we will not maximimize Stidhams and our stud talented young wrs potential with gus at the helm.

The bolded statement is exactly why Gus and Rhett need to separate.  Gus and his protégés seem to only know the run game and if we need the pass to win a game, the team is not prepared to execute the offense (see the UGA game this year).  Rhett does not bring anything to the party that Gus doesn't already know. Stidham will bring a lot of talent to the team and Gus/Rhett will stumble to a good season, but leave a lot of points on the field in unrealized potential.  The test will come when we face a formidable defense that shuts our run game down and we have to rely on the pass game, just like the last 4 years.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Haha this thread is ridiculous. I'll get in on the action and say, I hope he knows how to block.

Seriously, I have high hopes for McClain. He has the tools to a big time play maker. Would love for him to be a possession receiver for us along with Nate and Kyle. 

Watched this kid and Stove play in high school.  He has potential.  If he becomes a game changer, Kodi will have earned his check. Lots of potential just needs strong coaching and some motivation. Not meant to be a knock on the kid just observation from a year ago.

Archived