Bubba and Kerryon

aubiefifty

oanow.com

Kamryn Pettway, Kerryon Johnson can be ‘scary’ in 2017

Josh Vitale | AU Writer Follow on Twitter Like on Facebook

All things considered, Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway had very good seasons for Auburn. Especially when you consider how far down the depth chart they finished last year.

With Peyton Barber gone early to the NFL, Roc Thomas transferred and Jovon Robinson dismissed from the program, Johnson was flung to the top of the depth chart to start his sophomore season. What followed was campaign during which he rushed 173 times for 862 yards and 11 touchdowns, a total which ranked fifth among SEC running backs.

Pettway, a reserve H-back until this year, had never even recorded a collegiate carry entering his redshirt sophomore season and didn’t record his first until Week 2, and all he did after that was lead the SEC in rushing yards per game while carrying 185 times for 1,123 yards and seven touchdowns as he became the Tigers’ 10th 1,000-yard rusher since 2009.

Together, they helped Auburn finish the season with the sixth-best rushing attack in the nation, averaging nearly 280 yards per game. And they did it despite the fact that they only barely played together at 100 percent health.

Imagine what the duo could do if it did?

“If we have a full healthy season, I can't think of what we'll be able to do,” Johnson said. “It's going to be hard to beat him and me as a 1-2 punch in the SEC and the country.

“Full healthy, it's scary to think about.”

It only happened approximately three times in 2016, against Arkansas State, Texas A&M and LSU in Weeks 2-4. None of those games were played after Sept. 24.

Those were the only three of Auburn’s games in which both running backs accumulated at least 15 carries each. Johnson averaged 92 yards per game and Pettway — who did not record a carry in a Week 1 loss to Clemson despite being healthy — averaged 112. Combined, they ran for four touchdowns as the Tigers went 2-1 in those games.

In the second half of that Sept. 24 win over LSU, though, Pettway injured his quad, forcing him to miss an Oct. 1 game against Lousiana-Monroe. It would mark the last time both would play healthy at the same time.

Johnson had his best game of the season against the Warhawks, rushing 24 times for 146 yards. Pettway returned Oct. 8 at Mississippi State to kick off a torrid stretch of games during which he averaged more than 30 carries and 192 yards per game, but that was due in part to the fact that Johnson injured his ankle on his third carry against the Bulldogs and missed the rest of that game and all of the next against Arkansas.

And by the time Johnson returned to near full strength — though admittedly not 100 percent — and averaged 104.5 yards per game in wins over Georgia and Alabama A&M, Pettway was on the shelf with a quad pull suffered the week prior against Vanderbilt.

“We are a lot better team when they are healthy,” head coach Gus Malzahn said. “You can sense our offense out there practicing the confidence they have. The pieces to the puzzle are healthy and out there practicing. It’s just a different feel. Those two guys have a lot to do with that.”

For the first time in nearly four months, both running backs are completely healthy. Johnson said is finally over the ankle injury that hobbled him over the final five weeks of the season, and Pettway said he’s 100 percent recovered from his quad pull.

And before they get to that 2017 season, there are things they both want to accomplish in the Jan. 2 Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma. Pettway wants to end his first season as a running back on a high note after forgoing a chance to enter the NFL Draft this offseason. Johnson would like to join his backfield mate in the 1,000-yard club, even though it would take him a near-career-high 138 yards to do it.

“All I need is a big game in the bowl game,” he said. “But my goal is winning. It would be nice to have two of them, but if we don't win the game, it doesn't mean much.”

That’s why Johnson said he was “extremely happy” to hear Pettway was coming back for another season. With both backs healthy, Auburn could potentially win a lot of games next year.

“I think this game will be a big momentum game for us going into the 2017 season,” Pettway said.

“Just to have the experience back and not really start over as we did this past year, it's tremendous,” Johnson added. “I'm looking forward to getting it going with him again next year.”

• Teams

11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
oanow.com

Kamryn Pettway, Kerryon Johnson can be ‘scary’ in 2017

All things considered, Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway had very good seasons for Auburn. Especially when you consider how far down the depth chart they finished last year.

With Peyton Barber gone early to the NFL, Roc Thomas transferred and Jovon Robinson dismissed from the program, Johnson was flung to the top of the depth chart to start his sophomore season. What followed was campaign during which he rushed 173 times for 862 yards and 11 touchdowns, a total which ranked fifth among SEC running backs.

Pettway, a reserve H-back until this year, had never even recorded a collegiate carry entering his redshirt sophomore season and didn’t record his first until Week 2, and all he did after that was lead the SEC in rushing yards per game while carrying 185 times for 1,123 yards and seven touchdowns as he became the Tigers’ 10th 1,000-yard rusher since 2009.

Together, they helped Auburn finish the season with the sixth-best rushing attack in the nation, averaging nearly 280 yards per game. And they did it despite the fact that they only barely played together at 100 percent health.

Imagine what the duo could do if it did?

“If we have a full healthy season, I can't think of what we'll be able to do,” Johnson said. “It's going to be hard to beat him and me as a 1-2 punch in the SEC and the country.

“Full healthy, it's scary to think about.”

It only happened approximately three times in 2016, against Arkansas State, Texas A&M and LSU in Weeks 2-4. None of those games were played after Sept. 24.

Those were the only three of Auburn’s games in which both running backs accumulated at least 15 carries each. Johnson averaged 92 yards per game and Pettway — who did not record a carry in a Week 1 loss to Clemson despite being healthy — averaged 112. Combined, they ran for four touchdowns as the Tigers went 2-1 in those games.

In the second half of that Sept. 24 win over LSU, though, Pettway injured his quad, forcing him to miss an Oct. 1 game against Lousiana-Monroe. It would mark the last time both would play healthy at the same time.

Johnson had his best game of the season against the Warhawks, rushing 24 times for 146 yards. Pettway returned Oct. 8 at Mississippi State to kick off a torrid stretch of games during which he averaged more than 30 carries and 192 yards per game, but that was due in part to the fact that Johnson injured his ankle on his third carry against the Bulldogs and missed the rest of that game and all of the next against Arkansas.

And by the time Johnson returned to near full strength — though admittedly not 100 percent — and averaged 104.5 yards per game in wins over Georgia and Alabama A&M, Pettway was on the shelf with a quad pull suffered the week prior against Vanderbilt.

“We are a lot better team when they are healthy,” head coach Gus Malzahn said. “You can sense our offense out there practicing the confidence they have. The pieces to the puzzle are healthy and out there practicing. It’s just a different feel. Those two guys have a lot to do with that.”

For the first time in nearly four months, both running backs are completely healthy. Johnson said is finally over the ankle injury that hobbled him over the final five weeks of the season, and Pettway said he’s 100 percent recovered from his quad pull.

And before they get to that 2017 season, there are things they both want to accomplish in the Jan. 2 Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma. Pettway wants to end his first season as a running back on a high note after forgoing a chance to enter the NFL Draft this offseason. Johnson would like to join his backfield mate in the 1,000-yard club, even though it would take him a near-career-high 138 yards to do it.

“All I need is a big game in the bowl game,” he said. “But my goal is winning. It would be nice to have two of them, but if we don't win the game, it doesn't mean much.”

That’s why Johnson said he was “extremely happy” to hear Pettway was coming back for another season. With both backs healthy, Auburn could potentially win a lot of games next year.

“I think this game will be a big momentum game for us going into the 2017 season,” Pettway said.

“Just to have the experience back and not really start over as we did this past year, it's tremendous,” Johnson added. “I'm looking forward to getting it going with him again next year.”

• Teams

Has K Pettway been called Bubba before this season?

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Pretty sure Big Game Bob a misnomer? :bs:

He is the ultimate Bubba indeed!

28 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

200 for ya! :thumbsup:

Is there snow in Portland? Not sure if you get much there. I do love the city and area there. One of my old friends from med school has a practice there. I went to see him many years back, but try to keep in contact now and then.

Have a Very Merry Christmas my Auburn brother!

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Is there snow in Portland? Not sure if you get much there. I do love the city and area there. One of my old friends from med school has a practice there. I went to see him many years back, but try to keep in contact now and then.

Have a Very Merry Christmas my Auburn brother!

Yeah there was about a week ago. It's rare but it did happen.

It did make skiing on Mt. Hood incredible. Merry Christmas. War Eagle.

What's really scary is thinking of Pettway and Johnson in the same backfield as a healthy Stidham or White, who are, in turn, throwing the ball to Slayton, Craig-Meyers, Stove, K. Davis, and the JUCO tight end who's coming here.

On 12/23/2016 at 9:50 AM, aubiefifty said:

Its's still sad that thUGA sucked so bad that everyone keeps writing about our "win" over them...I know, it's hard to actually conceive that we lost to such a crap team.  This has got to be the 10th time I've read such...

What an absolute s*** show.  I can't wait to go cheer on our guys in NOLA, but I can't get that nightmare of a game out of my mind....

14 hours ago, Rednilla said:

What's really scary is thinking of Pettway and Johnson in the same backfield as a healthy Stidham or White, who are, in turn, throwing the ball to Slayton, Craig-Meyers, Stove, K. Davis, and the JUCO tight end who's coming here.

There's a HUGE smile on my face as I daydream about this!

Archived