Auburn seeks medical redshirt for Malik Miller

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn to seek medical redshirt for freshman Malik Miller

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Earlier this season Auburn coaches were hopeful running back Malik Miller would be able to return to the field this year. The Tigers will instead seek to obtain a hardship waiver, or medical redshirt, for the true freshman.

The 5-foot-11, 229-pound Miller injured his left knee in Auburn's 58-7 win over ULM Oct. 1 and later had surgery. On Wednesday, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said Miller will not play in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma.

"We'll hold him out and try to get his year back medical," Malzahn said. "He's got a chance to be a special player, too we feel like. He was playing very good football before he got hurt, but he won't participate in the bowl."

To obtain a medical redshirt through the NCAA, a player's injury must be "incapacitating," occur during the first half of the schedule and the player must not participate in 30 percent of the season or four games, whichever is greater.

Miller appeared in three games (Arkansas State, LSU, ULM) for Auburn this fall and rushed 16 times for 69 yards. He scored his first career touchdown against ULM before going down with his injury.

During his weekly radio appearance on Tiger Talk Oct. 6, Malzahn said "there's a good chance" Miller will obtain hardship waiver. On Nov. 1, he said Miller's rehabilitation was going "really well" and the freshman was able to jog around at practice.

With Miller out, fellow true freshman Kam Martin and former receiver Stanton Truitt both provided depth for the Tigers in the backfield. Leading rushers Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson suffered injuries of their own, but are expected to be full-go for the Sugar Bowl.

Pettway 'did everything' in Auburn's 1st bowl practice

Pettway 'did everything' in Auburn's 1st bowl practice

Auburn's leading rusher has 1,137 yards and seven touchdowns on 185 carries this year

Auburn (8-4) rushed for 278.5 yards per game during the regular season. The 14th-ranked Tigers face No. 7 Oklahoma Jan. 2 in New Orleans.

Let's hope the NCAA gives Malik Miller a medical redshirt. I noticed that Georia's RB Cobb will be back next year. I think he got a medical redshirt.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Let's hope the NCAA gives Malik Miller a medical redshirt. I noticed that Georia's RB Cobb will be back next year. I think he got a medical redshirt.

Chubb...

I totally agree with Miller being Pettway II. It has been such a long while since he played that I have somewhat forgotten his playing prowess. I see he and Bubba are about the same size. What exactly are the overall similarities between him and Bubba? Getting him back at 100% will really make us talent laden for 2017. 

On 12/19/2016 at 10:21 AM, logan adams said:

I hope they grant it to him. This dude is a Pettway 2.0.

not nearly as much giddyup. I see him as peyton barber 2.0

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

not nearly as much giddyup. I see him as peyton barber 2.0

Physically, maybe, but I imagine he'll bring better vision and decision making to the table. That recipe would make for a hell of a running back. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Physically, maybe, but I imagine he'll bring better vision and decision making to the table. That recipe would make for a hell of a running back. 

I certainly hope so. I was never high on barber. strictly a straight line runner with no moving and shaking to him. no elusiveness. I can admit I was wrong though in saying he would never play a NFL down.

Archived