Everything Sugar Bowl Preview thread

aubiefifty

espn.com

Allstate Sugar Bowl early look: Auburn vs. Oklahoma

Jake Trotter

No. 7 Oklahoma and 14th-ranked Auburn will meet for the second time ever Jan. 2 in the Allstate Sugar Bowl (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN), where they staged their other matchup 45 years ago.

Here's a deeper dive into this Big 12/SEC bowl matchup in New Orleans:

How to beat Auburn: Make them one dimensional on offense. It’s easier said than done, but teams that have taken away the running game have typically had success against Auburn. When the Tigers have rushed for more than 200 yards in a game this season, they’re 7-1. In the four games in which they failed to get to 200 rushing yards, they’re 1-3. That’s not a knock on quarterback Sean White, but White is at his best when Auburn is picking up big chunks on the ground. It forces defenses to play up, exposing them to the big play down the field. -- Greg Ostendorf

Baker Mayfield is the heart and soul of the Oklahoma offense, but he has an explosive supporting cast. John Korduner/Icon Sportswire

How to beat Oklahoma: Stop the run and exploit the defense deep. Quarterback Baker Mayfield is the heart and soul of the Sooners offense, but running backs Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon are the engine. The Sooners have been at their best offensively when the ground game has been rolling. Defensively, Oklahoma has been susceptible all year to the deep ball. In fact, nobody in the Big 12 surrendered more completions of 40 yards or more. The Sooners can be had on the big pass downfield. -- Jake Trotter

How Auburn beats you: A strong running game and a dominant defensive line. The Tigers lead the SEC in rushing, averaging 278.5 yards per game on the ground. The headliner has been sophomore running back Kamryn Pettway, who is the only player over 1,000 yards, but even when Pettway missed games due to injury, Kerryon Johnson and Stanton Truitt proved more than capable of picking up the slack. As for the defensive line, you might not find a better duo up front than Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson. The two have combined for 21 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks, and they’re a big reason why Auburn is No. 5 nationally in scoring defense. -- Ostendorf

How Oklahoma beats you: By overwhelming opponents offensively. Mayfield is about to break the FBS season passing efficiency record. Mixon and Perine are NFL-caliber rushers. And Dede Westbrook was the top receiver in college football this season. All that adds up to a nightmare matchup for the opposition. The Sooners can beat up on defenses any which way. And that's why they rolled through the Big 12 undefeated without facing much adversity. -- Trotter

Auburn X factor: Keep an eye on sophomore cornerback Carlton Davis because he’ll be the one tasked with trying to stop Westbrook. Davis is Auburn’s best cover corner, and when he’s locked in, he can take away one side of the field. He’s struggled some at times this year, but part of that was because he’s dealt with minor injuries throughout the season. With a month off, both he and fellow cornerback Joshua Holsey should be 100 percent against Oklahoma. -- Ostendorf

Oklahoma X factor: The Sooners are not a great pass-rushing team and they finished just eighth in the Big 12 in tackles for loss. Outside linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, however, is the one defender who can create big plays in opposing backfields. The Sooners will need him to create negative plays to keep the Auburn offense off track. -- Trotter

Bold prediction (Auburn): The Auburn defense keeps Oklahoma below 30 points. Thirty has been the magical number this year for the Sooners. When they score 30 or more, they’re 10-0. When they don’t, they’re 0-2. This is not to say that Auburn is going to win the game, but the Tigers are no joke on defense. They’ve allowed only one team to reach 30 points all season, and as prolific as Mayfield, Perine and Westbrook are, I think Auburn will struggle some, especially up front, against this Auburn defense. --Ostendorf

Bold prediction (Oklahoma): This game turns into a shootout. Auburn is good defensively, but I'm not sure even a good defense can slow this Sooners offense down. I'm also not sure how good Auburn is offensively. But even average offenses have found ways to put up points on the Sooners. The first one to 40 wins this one. -- Trotter

Good information indeed. OU has not faced a defense anywhere close to Auburn's all season. The Big 12's best is no more than 5th or 6th place in the SEC. I am very bullish on the SEC being the absolute best conference from top to bottom in all of college football. Other conferences do have some very good teams, but only in limited quantities.

May be an obvious answer, but out of the gate we need to stop "Ryan Rice" & Samja. Stop their heisman canidate WR from burning us deep. That's been a weakness this year. Regardless of how good our D has been, their offense scares me. Very explosive. Not scared, just cautious. 

al.com

Auburn begins preparing in earnest for Oklahoma

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

After three days of focusing on development of younger players, who either saw limited time or are redshirting this season, Auburn began its preparations in earnest for Oklahoma today.

Auburn (8-4) will have an off day on Sunday followed by a regular week of game prep on campus before a short break for Christmas and heading to New Orleans.

"Once we get to Saturday, we'll go full force on Oklahoma," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Wednesday. "We'll start to try to get into the routine of having a regular Tuesday practice. And then we'll go Wednesday, Thursday and really start getting our routine. But right now, we're really working on us and working on fundamentals, getting into the flow of everything. Just our base offense and our base defense.

"Come Saturday, we'll start getting after Oklahoma as far as the prep goes."

The first three days of bowl practice are typically geared towards the less experienced players, while the starters knock off some rust after several weeks off.

"We took the second half of practice (on Wednesday) just to really focus on those (younger) guys," Malzahn said. "Let the guys play a little bit. (Thursday) we'll even do a little more individual with them and just try to develop those guys as best we can. Have our position coaches work with them, which is always good and that's good about the bowls.

"For bowl practices, you kind of transition. You're not in a hurry, you're not in a rush and you can really slow down and teach."

For returning players already in significant roles this week was a bit of a preview of what next year's team will look like.

"It just really shows us what we're going to have for the future," junior linebacker Tre' Williams said. "We're working with the young guys right now to see what we have. But of course, we've got to be ready for the bowl game. When they're preparing, we're preparing as well. We just got to see how they're going to be the next year."

Williams cited defensive back Marlon Character, who is redshirting, as being the "most productive" among the young players getting an extended look this week.

Redshirting defensive linemen Nick Coe and Antwuan Jackson Jr. were also praised by their teammates this week.

Malzahn compares the first few bowl practices to spring, a time of year he holds in extremely high importance.

"That extra time before you get (before) spring is very critical," he said. "So we'll continue to do that throughout the bowl practice time here, when we're on campus."

On 12/17/2016 at 7:10 AM, aubiefifty said:
espn.com

Allstate Sugar Bowl early look: Auburn vs. Oklahoma

Jake Trotter

No. 7 Oklahoma and 14th-ranked Auburn will meet for the second time ever Jan. 2 in the Allstate Sugar Bowl (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN), where they staged their other matchup 45 years ago.

Here's a deeper dive into this Big 12/SEC bowl matchup in New Orleans:

How to beat Auburn: Make them one dimensional on offense. It’s easier said than done, but teams that have taken away the running game have typically had success against Auburn. When the Tigers have rushed for more than 200 yards in a game this season, they’re 7-1. In the four games in which they failed to get to 200 rushing yards, they’re 1-3. That’s not a knock on quarterback Sean White, but White is at his best when Auburn is picking up big chunks on the ground. It forces defenses to play up, exposing them to the big play down the field. -- Greg Ostendorf

Baker Mayfield is the heart and soul of the Oklahoma offense, but he has an explosive supporting cast. John Korduner/Icon Sportswire

How to beat Oklahoma: Stop the run and exploit the defense deep. Quarterback Baker Mayfield is the heart and soul of the Sooners offense, but running backs Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon are the engine. The Sooners have been at their best offensively when the ground game has been rolling. Defensively, Oklahoma has been susceptible all year to the deep ball. In fact, nobody in the Big 12 surrendered more completions of 40 yards or more. The Sooners can be had on the big pass downfield. -- Jake Trotter

How Auburn beats you: A strong running game and a dominant defensive line. The Tigers lead the SEC in rushing, averaging 278.5 yards per game on the ground. The headliner has been sophomore running back Kamryn Pettway, who is the only player over 1,000 yards, but even when Pettway missed games due to injury, Kerryon Johnson and Stanton Truitt proved more than capable of picking up the slack. As for the defensive line, you might not find a better duo up front than Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson. The two have combined for 21 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks, and they’re a big reason why Auburn is No. 5 nationally in scoring defense. -- Ostendorf

How Oklahoma beats you: By overwhelming opponents offensively. Mayfield is about to break the FBS season passing efficiency record. Mixon and Perine are NFL-caliber rushers. And Dede Westbrook was the top receiver in college football this season. All that adds up to a nightmare matchup for the opposition. The Sooners can beat up on defenses any which way. And that's why they rolled through the Big 12 undefeated without facing much adversity. -- Trotter

Auburn X factor: Keep an eye on sophomore cornerback Carlton Davis because he’ll be the one tasked with trying to stop Westbrook. Davis is Auburn’s best cover corner, and when he’s locked in, he can take away one side of the field. He’s struggled some at times this year, but part of that was because he’s dealt with minor injuries throughout the season. With a month off, both he and fellow cornerback Joshua Holsey should be 100 percent against Oklahoma. -- Ostendorf

Oklahoma X factor: The Sooners are not a great pass-rushing team and they finished just eighth in the Big 12 in tackles for loss. Outside linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, however, is the one defender who can create big plays in opposing backfields. The Sooners will need him to create negative plays to keep the Auburn offense off track. -- Trotter

Bold prediction (Auburn): The Auburn defense keeps Oklahoma below 30 points. Thirty has been the magical number this year for the Sooners. When they score 30 or more, they’re 10-0. When they don’t, they’re 0-2. This is not to say that Auburn is going to win the game, but the Tigers are no joke on defense. They’ve allowed only one team to reach 30 points all season, and as prolific as Mayfield, Perine and Westbrook are, I think Auburn will struggle some, especially up front, against this Auburn defense. --Ostendorf

Bold prediction (Oklahoma): This game turns into a shootout. Auburn is good defensively, but I'm not sure even a good defense can slow this Sooners offense down. I'm also not sure how good Auburn is offensively. But even average offenses have found ways to put up points on the Sooners. The first one to 40 wins this one. -- Trotter

How to beat OK on D is with the deep ball. Makes me wish we were better throwing downfield. We don't even seem to try that much. Hopefully the passing offense will be a little more agressive then. Sounds like we actually match up pretty well, despite them being 10-2.

20 minutes ago, WVR said:

Sorry if already been discussed, but will we be in the white or blue uniforms for the Sugar Bowl?

Looking at the game listing it has Oklahoma listed as the home team. I'm guessing white for us. 

I think we move the ball well against their D if SW is good to go.  My biggest question is can we cover Westbrook enough to not let him take over the game.  We struggled against Williams at Clemson and I can see a similar issue in this game.  That being said I hope Adams and Lawson want one last big time game and eat Mayfield for supper in the Dome.  

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

Looking at the game listing it has Oklahoma listed as the home team. I'm guessing white for us. 

Thank You gr82b!

We'll be a playoff caliber team next season but this game has the makings of a feast for off-season Gus-a-phobes. Mayfield's legs are overlooked in the press - Deshaun & Hurts have nothing on his ad lib running ability. Popular thinking has this being a shootout but I'd say our o-line regressed in November. CONSISTENTLY hurrying Mayfield on D AND relying on this secondary to lock down Westbrook et al is...er...challenging. Many teams did so for a quarter or two. I almost think we need a LB "spy" to shut down scrambles this entire game. 

We need Carl and Bubba to play very, very angry in NOLA.

montgomeryadvertiser.com

Oklahoma preparing for uniquely ‘physical’ Sugar Bowl

Matthew Stevens , Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN — The first thing Oklahoma coaches and players understand is the physicality they’ll see in the 2017 Sugar Bowl is uniquely different.

Oklahoma hasn’t seen a run game, a defensive front and a physical style at the line of scrimmage during their undefeated stretch of Big 12 Conference play this season that allowed them to qualify for the New Year’s Six bowl game.

“Them dudes are huge out there,” Oklahoma linebacker Jordan Evans with a smile.

Evans, who is listed at just 216 pounds but has made nine tackles for loss this season for the Sooners is going to be part of the responsibility of keeping Auburn’s 240-pound tailback Kamryn Pettway in check. Pettway, who finished the regular season with 1,123 yards in just nine games, said this week that he knows defenses wear down trying to corral his big body over four quarters of play. In five games this season where Pettway received a fourth-quarter carry, he averaged 7.5 yards per touch and had seven rushes of 10 yards or more.

“I hear that from my own teammates that people aren’t going to want to hit you all game,” Pettway said Thursday. “I know I wear down on people.”

The scary element for Oklahoma’s defense led by coordinator Mike Stoops, the younger brother of the Sooners head coach, is Auburn (8-4) is anticipated having healthy skill position players when both teams arrive for kickoff of the 2017 Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2 in New Orleans. Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn stayed consistent throughout Wednesday’s media session about his confidence that sophomore quarterback Sean White (shoulder), Pettway (quad) and senior wide receiver Marcus Davis (shoulder) will be “close to 100 percent” when they arrive in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl.

“You look at them they lose two of their last three to Georgia and Alabama but they’re playing without some of their better players,” Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said Tuesday. “It doesn’t tell the true story of the quality of their football team in those last few games.”

The Sooners (10-2) are using this month of preparation to get themselves ready for an Auburn run game that uses more motions and pre-snap variations than they’ve been forced to prepare for in a long time.

“Everything begins with their run game,” Bob Stoops said. “A lot of motion and shifting trying to get your eyes in the wrong place.”

Auburn tailback Kamryn Pettway talks about coming back for 2017 season after second Sugar Bowl practice. Matthew Stevens

Auburn’s power run game, which finished No. 6 in the nation this season at 278.5 yards per game, is a new element to the highly-skilled and yet, finesse orientated offenses that Oklahoma was asked to slow down. Only one Big 12 Conference program, Kansas State, finished the top 50 in the nation in rushing defense and Oklahoma was second in the league at allowing just 160.75 yards per game.

Not one Big 12 Conference defense finished in the top 50 of the nation’s 128 Football Bowl Subdivision programs in total defense and during Oklahoma’s 1-2 start to the season the Sooners allowed 478.67 yards per game including a 640-yard performance from Louisiana-Monroe in a 59-17 victory. The Sooners allowed over 500 total yards eight times this season including surrendering 854 yards at Texas Tech in a 66-59 shootout win in Lubbock, Texas.

Auburn rush offense: 278.5 ypg; 1st in SEC, 6th in FBS

I think this game comes down to defense. Can Auburn slow the Sooners down enough to keep them under 30, can the Sooner defense do anything? I love my Sooners, but the defense for the past several years has been laughable (or wants to make pull my hair out). This is very frustrating to long time Sooner fans, we used to have defenses that ranked in the top of most categories nationally. Not sure why it has changed, but that is for another topic. They have  a strong run game and I am looking forward to see how they stack up against your d line. We do have other receivers that are good, but maybe not Westbrook good. I'm thinking it will be a really good game, hope fully with not injuries. 

I would assume they've challenged their offense to show the better run game as well.  This is a different Auburn defense in almost every way, but Wisconsin took that approach in the '15 Outback bowl and we couldn't stop them.  Perine and Mixon are both every bit as capable a back as Gordon.  Both those guys will end up with over a thousand yards rushing on the season.  I am certain the Sooner offense is giving Kevin Steele nightmares about the 2012 Orange Bowl.

15 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I think we move the ball well against their D if SW is good to go.  My biggest question is can we cover Westbrook enough to not let him take over the game.  We struggled against Williams at Clemson and I can see a similar issue in this game.  That being said I hope Adams and Lawson want one last big time game and eat Mayfield for supper in the Dome.  

I seriously wanted to see those two feast in the IB and it didn't happen....So now is their time to put up a good showing for AU in the Super Dome! 

Kerryon saying the offense is back to 100% makes me excited for the game.  I hope they play with a chip on their shoulder for the way the season ended

al.com

Why Auburn's secondary is 'smiling' about Sugar Bowl matchup with Oklahoma

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn's secondary's final task will be quite possibly its toughest of the season. Senior cornerback Joshua Holsey wouldn't want it any other way.

When Auburn (8-4) takes on Oklahoma (10-2) in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2 in New Orleans, the Tigers will be going up against two Heisman finalists in Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield and wide receiver Dede Westrbook. The two finished third and fourth, respectively, in voting for college football's most prestigious award earlier this month.

"We're smiling," Holsey said. "We know they're going to come out and they're going to try us. They're going to throw the ball around. They've got two great guys and that's just going to help our defense with that exposure. You get to face Heisman candidates, you don't get to face them too many times, people who was in the Heisman finalists.

"So, it's going to be a good challenge for us."

While Mayfield's big arm -- which accounted for 3,669 passing yards and 38 touchdowns against eight interceptions this season -- will require a collective effort from the defense to keep in check, Westbook is the primary concern for Holsey and the rest of Auburn's defensive backs.

The 6-foot, 176-pound senior was Mayfield's No. 1 target this season for the Big 12 champions, catching 74 passes for 1,465 yards and 16 touchdowns. Those numbers ranked 21st, fifth and fourth nationally, while his 19.8 yards per catch ranked 12th in the country.

All of that, of course, was enough to not only earn Westbrook an invite to New York for the Heisman ceremony, but it also warranted the Cameron, Texas, native taking home the Biletnikoff Award given annually to the nation's top receiver. Westbrook became the first player in Oklahoma history to take home that accolade.

"He's good," Holsey said. "I mean (they've) got the best receiver. He's pretty explosive. He blows the top off the coverage a lot so we've got our hands full. It'll be a good matchup though; they'll be a great matchup for us as a secondary. He's one of those guys that we got to make sure we know where he's at at all times on the field because he's their go-to guy.... He's their go-to guy so we got to make sure we do a good job of containing him and keeping him under control."

Auburn's secondary has done well most of the season at containing opposing teams' passing attacks, save for a shootout against Ole Miss. The Tigers rank 64th nationally in passing defense at 223.6 yards allowed per game, and the unit ranks fifth nationally in passes defended with 78 (67 breakups and 11 interceptions).

Only twice this season has Auburn's secondary allowed a 100-yard receiver -- in the season opener against Clemson and the regular-season finale against Alabama. In the Clemson game, Mike Williams exploited Auburn to the tune of nine receptions for 174 yards, while in the Iron Bowl ArDarius Stewart finished with 10 receptions for 127 yards and a touchdown.

It's the former who reminds Holsey the most of Westbrook, who did not have a 100-yard receiving game in September but has been held to fewer than 100 receiving yards just once in the nine games since -- an 88-yard, two-touchdown effort against Baylor last month.

Now it will be on Auburn's secondary to prevent another big performance next month in New Orleans.

"We faced a lot of good guys," Holsey said. "(Westbrook) and Mike Williams from Clemson, he was a really good receiver as well. We just wasn't really expecting that because he didn't play the year before but we faced plenty of receivers that's just as good so it's nothing new to us. Just got to go out there and get the job done and make sure we don't let him beat us like he's done other teams."

Joe Mixon story is picking up steam.  Wonder what if any repercussions it could have for the bowl game.  I know it happened in 2014 but with the release of the video things have heated up for Mixon, stoops, and the university president.  Many are calling for stoops and the president to be fired.  Definitely has to be a distraction 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Joe Mixon story is picking up steam.  Wonder what if any repercussions it could have for the bowl game.  I know it happened in 2014 but with the release of the video things have heated up for Mixon, stoops, and the university president.  Many are calling for stoops and the president to be fired.  Definitely has to be a distraction 

I think maybe some fans (in both colors) might boo him when he's introduced or makes a play, but that's about all I expect to come from it.

al.com

What Gus Malzahn said about Oklahoma and the Sugar Bowl

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

The Sugar Bowl is less than two weeks away, and Auburn is in full swing with its preparation for its matchup with Oklahoma on Jan 2.

Although the Tigers have two more days of practice on campus before a break for the holidays, head coach Gus Malzahn will be meeting with the media at approximately 4 p.m. for the final time before the team departs for New Orleans next Tuesday.

AL.com will provide live updates from Malzahn's availability in the space below, so be sure to refresh the page for all the latest news and information. This post will also be updated later in the day with full video of Malzahn's press conference.

GUS MALZAHN

-- "We had a very good, spirited practice today." Lauds the team's energy and focus all week, especially after shifting attention to Oklahoma.

-- KJ Britt, Malcolm Askew and Jarrett Stidham all were at practice today.

-- Britt "has a chance to be an outstanding linebacker."

-- Askew has a chance to be a "great defensive back."

-- Stidham did some individual work and "had some really good zip on the ball."

-- Malzahn says Auburn is going to have to be able to run the ball and throw it in order to beat Oklahoma.

-- Can Auburn stretch the field in the passing game? "We definitely have the guys that can do that. It would definitely be a good thing."

-- On Sean White: He's been able to handle the volume, which is good after not throwing much in November.

-- Malzahn and Kevin Steele will "put our heads together" to discuss the plan for replacing DB coach Wesley McGriff. They want someone who can complement Steele and do well in recruiting. There is no hurry in making a hire, Malzahn says.

-- No timeline as of yet for making a DB coach hire.

-- On adding a 10th assistant: "I'd be all for that. I think most coaches in our league would be for it."

-- On Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield: "He has a special gift of turning a bad play into a good one."

-- On Dede Westbrook: "He's a special player."

-- Malzahn has praise for redshirting freshmen Marquis McClain and Prince Sammons at wide receiver and offensive tackle, respectively.

-- Malzahn says he has not seen the Joe Mixon video, nor does he concern himself with how other coaches run their programs.

AL.com will update this post.

al.com

Oklahoma preparing for physicality of Auburn defense's front 7

Oklahoma is well aware of the strength of Auburn's defense.

In its fourth meeting with an SEC team in as many seasons, the Sooners recognize the Tigers are built through their front seven on defense.

It's a group that includes Carl Lawson and Montravius Adams, who each earned All-American recognition, and Marlon Davidson, a freshman All-SEC honoree.

"You turn on the tape and these guys, especially front seven-wise, they really stand out," Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley said. "They get after some people that are pretty good up front, so it'll be as good a challenge as we've faced up front. Obviously, they've been one of the top-ranked defenses in the country all year. That's what the Sugar Bowl should be, those kind of matchups."

In the matchup that's generating the most attention heading into the Sugar Bowl, Np. 14 Auburn's much-improved defense will face the high-powered offense of No. 7 Oklahoma (10-2), led by quarterback Baker Mayfield and receiver Dede Westbrook.

How Auburn compares to Oklahoma heading into the Sugar Bowl

Auburn may be nearly a touchdown underdog to No. 7 Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl but the Tigers stack up well against the Sooners in a number of statistics.

Mayfield said Auburn's defense is a big and physical group.

"Their big guys can run; they're big and they can move," Mayfield said, 'They create things up front in their front seven to where their secondary is able to be aggressive.

"It's kind of the same mentality we've had about the West Virginia, the Baylors and the Oklahoma States. You're got to be physical, set the tone up front."

Adams, who had 39 tackles including 4.5 sacks, an interception, two blocked kicks and recovered two fumbles, is looking forward to ending his college career against a talented offense.

"They have a great quarterback and really great skill guys all around from the running backs to the receivers (and a) solid O-line," Adams said. "I think they match up with us well just from us playing pretty well on defense this year and them having a pretty good offense."

While Oklahoma's passing game is impossible to ignore, Auburn recognizes what the Sooners can go on the ground with Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon.

Tigers linebacker Tre' Williams said the Sugar Bowl is "the type of game we live for," because of the running game.

"The SEC is built on big, physical running backs," Williams said. "That's what we're about to see in this bowl game. We're going to prepare like any other game, going to prepare to stop the run."

The Sooners offensive line, anchored by 6-foot-8, 340-pound left tackle Orlando Brown, allowed a Big XII-best 21 sacks this season.

Considering the volume with which Mayfield, the most efficient passer in the country, was throwing, it speaks to why he's confident in his protection even up

"We'll get prepared for what they're going to line up in but when it comes down to it, it's just another defense," Mayfield said. "You don't see the team; you just see bodies out there and you want to execute your game plan."

al.com

How Auburn's offense hopes to be 'totally effective' against Oklahoma

The matchup of Oklahoma's offense against Auburn's defense is deservedly generating most of the attention before the Sugar Bowl, but the Tigers offense against the Sooners defense is just as important.

With Sean White, Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson all expected to be at or near full health, the Auburn backfield will be at full strength for the first time since the LSU game.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has stressed how different a team Auburn (8-4) was when its top offensive players were healthy compared to the late season skid.

"We've been pretty successful running the football, and I think when we've thrown it when our guys have been healthy, I think we've been pretty efficient," Malzahn said. "Going into a game like this, you're going to have to be able to do both to be totally effective. When we're at our best, we've been that way. Overall, I think they're a very solid defense."

Even with the Tigers ranked No. 6 in rushing offense, Johnson recognizes outside attention is on Baker Mayfield and Dede Westbrook against Auburn's secondary.

"We let their offense and our defense have all the talk," Johnson said. "But we know what we have to do. If we don't score points, we won't win. We've proven that through the whole year, so we know what we have to do: We have to run the football. We have to make explosive plays.

"That's where our focus has been and that's what it's going to continue to be."

Will Auburn attack Oklahoma through the air with a healthy Sean White?

It remains to be seen whether Auburn can capitalize on Oklahoma's extremely poor pass defense, which ranks 119th nationally.

Even when healthy, White, who has not spoken publicly since the day after the loss to Georgia, did not take many shots vertically downfield. Auburn's longest passing play of the season was a 55-yard throw by John Franklin III during the Iron Bowl.

Left guard Alex Kozan did not want to say if he expected the offensive line to be called upon to do more pass blocking than usual against the Sooners.

"I think coach Malzahn and (offensive coordinator Rhett) Lashlee will have a great offensive game plan for us," Kozan said.

Oklahoma (10-2) ranked second in the Big XII against the run, but the Sooners ranked just 55th nationally.

Auburn's players aren't letting statistics form their entire judgement heading into the Jan. 2 game.

"They're a great defense," said Pettway, who had 1,123 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. "We just know we have to come out and execute."

What is Auburn's backfield capable of with healthy Pettway and Johnson?

What is Auburn's backfield capable of with healthy Pettway and Johnson?

Auburn running backs Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway are expected to both be 100 percent healthy for the first time since Sept. 24 against LSU.

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops called Auburn's offense "a little bit unbalanced" due to the instability at quarterback over the course of the season.

"That's hard to develop continuity in your passing game," Stoops said. "They've leaned heavier on their run and they do it extremely well, but you still have to be protective of their play-action passes. Any team that runs the ball that well is going to have the effect of play-action game passes. They still make you defend the whole field, it's just a different way."

No matter how Auburn elects to attack, basic tenets will hold true as to ball security and protecting White.

"If you come out there and you're not on your A-game, they'll get after the quarterback," Johnson said. "And the one thing that they do is they hustle to the football, so they're going to have nine, 10 guys around the football. They're going to gang-tackle. (They're) opportunistic and they're looking to get the ball back to their explosive offense.

"So we just have to keep the ball on our side and (not) make stupid turnover and we'll be fine."

I won't believe Sean White is anything close to 100% healthy until I see it on the field. It's necessary to say he's ready to go to make Okie prepare for him, but I don't think a person gets over the type of injuries he has in just a few weeks.

Agree. We will see JJ in action at some point. 

Archived