how much better will our d be in 17?

aubiefifty

i know we lose two studs on dline and two in the secondary. the four kids i am thinking of are studs. how bad does this hurt us or are we slowly getting where we can just plug and play so to speak with little to no drop off and should be  better than last year?also who takes the next biggest step on d?

The biggest problem I see is that we are losing a ton of TFL's, sacks, and QB hurries with Lawson and Adams.  We've got talent on the D-line, but we are going to have to find a couple of guys that can disrupt and pressure the QB.  If we don't, then we regress.

I don't think we'll have a drop off in talent in the secondary.  However, the experience of Rudy and JH is impossible to replace and both guys have a high football IQ that will be very difficult to replace.  I think the secondary will be fine (even better than this year)

On the DL, Davidson will be a beast and will get pressure on the QB.  A couple more will need to step up.  On the end, Holland has a lot of potential and has shown flashes.  I am expecting big things from Coe.  As for DT, IMHO Brown is more of a lane plugging, run stopper than a pass rusher.  Cowart moving inside can generate some pass rush.  AWilliams maybe?

I like the fact that we have depth, which means we have options.  I have confidence that we will see a few guys step up and keep our D momentum going.

Hopefully we don't drop off too much at dline. Hard to imagine we won't with the departure of Adams and Lawson. But that dline definitely helped elevate the play of our LBs and took pressure off of our secondary a lot. 

I like that we are returning these LBs, DD was a bunch of fun to watch last year. DW looked extremely promising and this linebacker recruiting class speaks for itself. 

While losing Rudy and Josh is going to hurt, especially from the point of view that they were both veterans, but we still return a lot of talent to our secondary. And most of that talent has a decent amount of playing time under its belts.

the place I see the biggest drop is probably MA's DT. Just because Adams was one of those freaky fast DTs, Brown or someone else may be just the same but Monty's run stop and pass rush will be hard to replicate at that position. 

I think we take a relatively significant hit. I don't think we'll see 2009-2014 type of falloff but we lose a lot of experienced talent up front. I won't believe in Kevin Steele fully until I see him do it again. He has never been a great DC although this year he did an absolutely fantastic job. I have to see it again before I think our D is in good, stable hands. I don't mean we have to see our defense in the top 10 in scoring D again, but I have to see that our D is helping us win rather than hurting us before I can fully be on Steele bandwagon. He had his best year of his career this season. What are the chances he all of a sudden found the juice as DC at this point in his career?

Talent is the 'most' important issue....but can the coaches get them to ALL play together...that is what makes a good defense....

We will lose some fantastic players no doubt. I take my hat off for all of the young men going to the NFL in the Spring. I think we have some great talent that will come in and keep us rolling as a defensive force to be reckoned with in 2017.

1. Marlon Davidson has all SEC 1st team in his back pocket

2. Mr. Brown will go to town eating up all kinds of O-line in his way.

2. Mr. Cowart will explode on the scene in 2017 proving his mettle to the naysayers who have been down on him. There are other excellent young men who will make life miserable for the SEC teams they face.

Don't think we'll be as good as we were this year because of the losses on the d line. Linebackers will be better, secondary will be better against the pass, but they won't look better because of the drop off on d line I think

I think if you ask the D, they will tell you that they will be better next year, and that bodes well, because attitude and desire is a big piece of the puzzle.  I don't think any one will work harder on the team than next year's D-Line to prove that they can be as good as this year's.

We will be better everywhere but where it matters most which is the DL. Which means like a poster said above me that the Lbs and especially the secondary will not look as good. We have 3 legit corners in C Davis, Dean and J davis. we have not had that kind of cb play in a long time.

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think if you ask the D, they will tell you that they will be better next year, and that bodes well, because attitude and desire is a big piece of the puzzle.  I don't think any one will work harder on the team than next year's D-Line to prove that they can be as good as this year's.

I would hope every year they would say and think that. But reality is reality

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I would hope every year they would say and think that. But reality is reality

Yea, but this year they have lived with excellence, and they don't want to be the ones to let everyone down. That's a perfect recipe for hard work, and since there isn't a talent drop-off, just an experience drop-off, hard work can make up for a lot.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, but this year they have lived with excellence, and they don't want to be the ones to let everyone down. That's a perfect recipe for hard work, and since there isn't a talent drop-off, just an experience drop-off, hard work can make up for a lot.

Right. That's the thought every year. The thought of our defense especially defensive line was no drop off, hard work from 2010 going to 2011. Defensive line wasn't back to that level again until 2013-14 and truth be told as far as playing the run the line may not have ever been back to that level. But we will see, every year though everybody talks about how next year will be better

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right. That's the thought every year. The thought of our defense especially defensive line was no drop off, hard work from 2010 going to 2011. Defensive line wasn't back to that level again until 2013-14 and truth be told as far as playing the run the line may not have ever been back to that level. But we will see, every year though everybody talks about how next year will be better

I get where you are coming from, but I've never seen a bunch of underclassmen as talented as Davidson, Brown, Cowart, etc.

They all have their strengths but pretty much if one of them can't speed rush and get to the qb we're screwed so if you ask me Holland is the most important guy we have coming back. 

Just what we went through when Lawson was hurt.....we need a rusher. Seemed like Holland was the only guy that showed the potential in the future. But all you need on a d line is a rusher and a guy that commands a double....

LOL I say all you need like that is easy but it's not easy at all. But if you have those two things and preferably not the same guy then your ENTIRE line can be special because all of the other guys are one on one situations

My prediction is top 20 scoring D Top 50 overall. We return alot of experience. LB and DB will be better. DLine is very very close to a push. Inexperienced depth is my only reason for not saying top 30 D overall. I don't think the drop of behind Adams will be noticeable, Lawson is the only drop off and Davidson could very well have an 8-10 sack season. Holland, James and Cowart could have 8-10 also total. Talent is there. Williams and Brown is gonna be one heck of a battle. Let's not forget how Atkinson came on late, he adds one more to the LB/Nickel. I think Boston could move to Rudy's spot full time and let Roberts, Ruffin and Mathews handle safety. We're in good shape imo. 

a lot is going to depend on how much time our offense gives them to rest between series on the field.  if the O can generate first downs, the D will remain fresh.  as a result, I think we will see a dominant D.  if not, they will be gassed, and will give up a LOT of yards.

I don't think we have to be better if we can just hold the line where we are and the offense gets better we will be in good shape to make a run.  The D was plenty good enough to have won every game this year.  

Archived