Auburn to face two Heisman finalists in 2017 Sugar Bowl

aubiefifty

Auburn to face two Heisman finalists in 2017 Sugar Bowl

facebook sharetwitter shareemail shareemail share

AUBURN — Auburn will play in the Sugar Bowl against two Heisman Trophy finalists.

The Heisman Trophy Trust foundation announced Monday that Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield and his top receiving Dede Westbrook were named among the five finalists to be at the Playstation Theater in Times Square Saturday when the winner is announced at 7 p.m. CT on ESPN.

“You are talking about a team that’s very impressive on offense,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Sunday in the Sugar Bowl teleconference. “The thing that really stands out to me is they run the football so well. They have explosive guys down the field and have one of the better quarterbacks in college football. It will be a good challenge. I think that will probably be a key to the game.”

Joining Mayfield and Westbrook on the list of finalists who will be in New York for this weekend's Heisman Trophy festivities are Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson, Michigan linebacker/defensive back Jabrill Peppers and Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson. The winner will be announced Saturday during a 7 p.m. CT ceremony at the PlayStation Theater in Times Square that will air live on ESPN

No. 14 Auburn will play No. 7 Oklahoma in the 2017 Sugar Bowl at 7:30 p.m. CT on Jan. 2 in Mercedes-Benz Stadium in New Orleans.

The announcement guarantees Auburn will face a Heisman finalist in three of its last four bowl games as they faced Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston in the 2013 BCS National Championship Game and faced Wisconsin tailback Melvin Gordon in the 2015 Outback Bowl.

Mayfield leads the nation in pass efficiency rating (197.8; the NCAA single-season record is 191.8; next highest Power 5 figure this year is 176.5), completion percentage (71.2) and yards per pass attempt (11.1; only one other player is above 10.0). No player has ever finished a season as the national leader in each of those categories.

Westbrook is also one of three finalists for the Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation’s best receiver, as he leads all Power 5 Conference players in receiving touchdowns per game (1.33) while ranking second in receiving yards (1,354) and third in receiving yards per game (123.1). Westbrook is Mayfield’s top deep threat target as he also leads nation in receptions of 20-plus yards (26), 50-plus yards (7), 60-plus yards (6) and 70-plus yards (3).

The last time a school had two Heisman Trophy finalists (that are currently recognized) in the same year was 2004 when Oklahoma (Adrian Peterson and Jason White) and USC (Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush) both did it.

“The offense has been very prolific,” Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said. “Really, in my 18 years, if not the most prolific, it's right there with the 2008 offense that set some records and was really strong with Sam Bradford, DeMarco Murray and Jermaine Gresham and on and on and on.”

facebook sharetwitter shareemail shareemail share

Those two are formidable, no doubt.  That being said (and I don't have time to dig up the numbers right now), I wonder what the average rank of the defenses they faced was... we are talking Big 12 after all.

"I think that will probably be a key to the game.” - Coach Obvious!

Considering our secondary has gotten picked apart in certain games this season (see Ole Miss), it's definitely a cause for concern. We are going to have to run the ball effectively and limit the number of chances Mayfield gets. Our d-line is going to need to cause some chaos on the LOS to pressure him into throwing early or erratically (and possibly throwing us a couple of picks). No doubt they are going to try to attack us early and often downfield.

19 minutes ago, Linayus said:

"I think that will probably be a key to the game.” - Coach Obvious!

Considering our secondary has gotten picked apart in certain games this season (see Ole Miss), it's definitely a cause for concern. We are going to have to run the ball effectively and limit the number of chances Mayfield gets. Our d-line is going to need to cause some chaos on the LOS to pressure him into throwing early or erratically (and possibly throwing us a couple of picks). No doubt they are going to try to attack us early and often downfield.

Going to have to be discipline and play containment. Not just bull rush. Mayfield has deceptive running ability.

Lol. The KEY to the game will be offensive production. Our D has shown when our O can be moderately productive they can be stifling. If our O goes 3 and out, as evidenced in the Uga and bammer game the D will be gassed by halftime.

Basically we are going to need a healthy and functional SW because our drives are significantly longer when he is himself due to his ability to extend drives through the passing game. He's our best chance to move the sticks, healthy Pettway or not IMO. No defense respects us when someone else is playing QB unfortunately

Archived