part of the qb puzzle revealed

aubiefifty

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 08, 2016 at 7:04 PM, updated September 08, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Auburn freshman quarterback Woody Barrett sustained an injury last month that delayed his development this preseason.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn revealed Thursday during his weekly radio appearance on "Tiger Talk" that Barrett sustained an ankle injury "probably about three weeks ago."

"(He) was out of commission for about two weeks," Malzahn said. "So that kind of put him behind."

During the spring, Malzahn said that Barrett would have a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job once he arrived on campus. However, his enrollment was delayed until late this summer, which put him further behind Sean White, John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson, and he never really competed for the job when Auburn opened fall camp last month.

i know this is kinda old but i do not remember seeing it. i love facts over speculation tho speculating can be fun. this is the reason barrett did not play and no because of the talking points of gus and rhett being qb dummies. it sure makes sense and adds another piece to the puzzle concerning our qb's. i guess bashing coaches and sometimes even players will still happen but it sure does help knowing the truth. and i am betting that once our running game woke up we felt like we could lean on them and save woodys redshirt. then when things went south because of injuries it would have been wasteful and might possibly put our qb season for next year on shaky terms again. i am not happy with the season overall but i refuse to throw the coaches under the bus on somethings because the answer is there if we care to look and not just bash for the hell of it. and i am sure i will get bashed but bring it on! i might not drink schlitz or even sterling big mouth { from another thread} but i got enough evan williams egg nog waiting in fridge to be opened if i need it. lol  and on a lighter note let me just say merry christmas to the best damn college university and its fans ever!

In '15 we expected JJ to be the lead with White backing up.   That plan obviously failed, should our coaches have known that JJ was not the man?   

In '16, the JJ fail made us set out to get a TFresh and JUCO QB to compete with White for the starter or back-up role and neither of them were ready.   

So for '17, we need a Stidham with White as potential starters, and WB in back-up role and we will finally have some depth.   I also believe we need another top recruit to competing with WB and then we'll ready for the future.   

well best i can tell narcisse or whatever the young mans name is has not counted us out yet as he just visited.jj hurt us and i am not sure it is fair to blame the coaches cus folks that visited practices along with other pundits were super high on jj. personally i think the coaches were desperate when they hired franklin since he was a bust at fsu{ at qb } and second string at jr college. i also believe they took him because if he did not work out as they hoped he still had enough talent to utilize another position. i like franklin and i would love to see his speed used in other positions because he is electric.also i believe if he holds out to be a qb in the pro's he has a huge mountain to climb and he might miss a great paycheck. regardless of what happens i hope it works out for him.

I hope Stidham chooses the good guys, however, I am still excited to see what a healthy Woody Barrett with a spring practice under his belt can do. His high school highlights are impressive and he can both run and throw the ball efficiently.

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

well best i can tell narcisse or whatever the young mans name is has not counted us out yet as he just visited.jj hurt us and i am not sure it is fair to blame the coaches cus folks that visited practices along with other pundits were super high on jj. personally i think the coaches were desperate when they hired franklin since he was a bust at fsu{ at qb } and second string at jr college. i also believe they took him because if he did not work out as they hoped he still had enough talent to utilize another position. i like franklin and i would love to see his speed used in other positions because he is electric.also i believe if he holds out to be a qb in the pro's he has a huge mountain to climb and he might miss a great paycheck. regardless of what happens i hope it works out for him.

Coaches hired Franklin??

9 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Coaches hired Franklin??

lol. that i believe is called egg nog.............evan williams so my pardons............

Aubiefifty, as kind as I can be, your posts are extremely difficult to read because of your constant use of all lower case letters and paragraphs that are as long as this country is wide.  It would be most helpful if you corrected that. 

Thanks!

mike i understand. i do the best i can. i know it just drives grammar nazi's crazy but i do good enough getting my messages on here so no i will not change. and also for the two different folks who asked me not to post articles by certain writers it is not gonna happen. either. not trying to make anyone mad but i refuse to let anyone other than mods steal my joy on what to post or how i post it. my cut and paste jobs suck as well but if i think the board might be interested i am going to do the best i can. and as for the typing at my age if i slowed down enough to be correct with punctuation   and everything nice and neat i would forget what i was trying to say and about four outta five times that is the truth. so i will even be humble and apologize mike but most people including the several hundred i halla at on facebook understand me pretty well. i also take meds that effect how i post things as well{ i have mentioned this to a mod for the record}.  so mike it slows me down. sorry. you can overlook my  comments  because i ramble mostly. thanx for understanding.

best of luck to you mike! and happy holidays...........

On 12/4/2016 at 3:44 PM, aubiefifty said:

lol. that i believe is called egg nog.............evan williams so my pardons............

Good stuff!

So Woody Couldn't learn our 8 plays? i believe they just didn't want to burn his red shirt no matter what.

EDIT: and Gus is really too loyal to upper class man, when the best should always play

41 minutes ago, CCslim said:

So Woody Couldn't learn our 8 plays? i believe they just didn't want to burn his red shirt no matter what.

EDIT: and Gus is really too loyal to upper class man, when the best should always play

Most coaches are like this. Lou Holtz, as gone as he may be, said that your best coaching job happens in the first 2 seasons at a program when you have no allegiances to anything other than winning. This means that you will play the best player available, experience be damned. But by the time you hit year 3, you've made a web of promises and now you're dealing with parents, girlfriends, things you said in a living room to get them to commit to your school, etc and it makes the situation much more complicated. I feel like this may be one of the many reasons why some of our coaches hit the ground running early in their tenures and then start to fizzle out.

2 hours ago, CCslim said:

Did you read the original post?  It said Woody was hurt again right before the Georgia game.

I would love if someone would hit Gus with something similar to this in an upcoming press conference:

"The last two seasons have been derailed by both excessive and key injuries. What do you plan to do to prevent that going forward?"

It would be very interesting to see if Gus has an answer.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Did you read the original post?  It said Woody was hurt again right before the Georgia game.

That Article is dated September 8

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 08, 2016 at 7:04 PM, updated September 08, 2016 at 7:05 PM

doesn't say anything about injured before UGA

1 minute ago, CCslim said:

That Article is dated September 8

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 08, 2016 at 7:04 PM, updated September 08, 2016 at 7:05 PM

doesn't say anything about injured before UGA

Your right... my mistake. I stupidly assumed it was a recent article.  I was pissed that we were even injuring our scout team at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I would love if someone would hit Gus with something similar to this in an upcoming press conference:

"The last two seasons have been derailed by both excessive and key injuries. What do you plan to do to prevent that going forward?"

It would be very interesting to see if Gus has an answer.

There's no way he'd give a genuine response IMO

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:54 AM, aubiefifty said:
By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 08, 2016 at 7:04 PM, updated September 08, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Auburn freshman quarterback Woody Barrett sustained an injury last month that delayed his development this preseason.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn revealed Thursday during his weekly radio appearance on "Tiger Talk" that Barrett sustained an ankle injury "probably about three weeks ago."

"(He) was out of commission for about two weeks," Malzahn said. "So that kind of put him behind."

During the spring, Malzahn said that Barrett would have a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job once he arrived on campus. However, his enrollment was delayed until late this summer, which put him further behind Sean White, John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson, and he never really competed for the job when Auburn opened fall camp last month.

i know this is kinda old but i do not remember seeing it. i love facts over speculation tho speculating can be fun. this is the reason barrett did not play and no because of the talking points of gus and rhett being qb dummies. it sure makes sense and adds another piece to the puzzle concerning our qb's. i guess bashing coaches and sometimes even players will still happen but it sure does help knowing the truth. and i am betting that once our running game woke up we felt like we could lean on them and save woodys redshirt. then when things went south because of injuries it would have been wasteful and might possibly put our qb season for next year on shaky terms again. i am not happy with the season overall but i refuse to throw the coaches under the bus on somethings because the answer is there if we care to look and not just bash for the hell of it. and i am sure i will get bashed but bring it on! i might not drink schlitz or even sterling big mouth { from another thread} but i got enough evan williams egg nog waiting in fridge to be opened if i need it. lol  and on a lighter note let me just say merry christmas to the best damn college university and its fans ever!

You make total sense. Sometimes Gus holds back information that if he would have stated in this case, would have eliminated a lot of the speculation. I do think that Gus does this in that he does not want to reveal too much information about our players. This gives the opposition a leg up with preparing for us when we play. Often, we just do not know what is going on with the health of our players. I will give Gus an "Atta boy" on this one.

Hope it's an acceptable thread for plug-in:

"Start training, get ready for Pro Day and hopefully get the invite to the (NFL) Combine," Johnson said. "Like I said, I'm going to get my chance. It's no secret that I'm going to get a chance at the next level."'

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/12/auburn_quarterback_jeremy_john_9.html

WDE Mr. Johnson!

Serious question, did JJ misspeak? No secret he's going to get a chance? I am trying to figure out what he meant. No secret he's going to take his chance at the NFL maybe? 

Al.com is reporting that Stidham has committed to Auburn. This is wonderful news for the Tiger Nation! :wareagle:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/12/quarterback_jarrett_stidham_co.html#incart_river_home

Archived