2016 'one of those growing years'

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn: 2016 'one of those growing years' for Auburn

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Auburn wildly exceeded its preseason expectations, had dramatic statistical improvements on both sides of the ball, particularly on defense, and is likely headed to the Sugar Bowl but a brutal start and arguably worse finish to the regular season are bookends to an otherwise strong 2016.

Picked to finish sixth in the SEC West at SEC Media Days, Auburn was unranked in the preseason but heads into conference championship weekend No. 14 in the College Football Playoff rankings, second-highest in the SEC and in line for the Sugar Bowl.

If Auburn fans were told in August that the Tigers would finish second in the division and go to a New Year's Six game, they'd undoubtedly take it.

Of course Auburn deserves the SEC's Sugar Bowl berth

Of course Auburn deserves the SEC's Sugar Bowl berth

Auburn or Florida? Who deserves this year's dubious distinction as the SEC runner-up and the Sugar Bowl trip that goes with it? Do the math, and it's the Tigers.

Yet, a brutal start with chaotic offensive displays in losses to Clemson and Texas A&M and disastrous finish featuring losses to rivals Georgia and Alabama for the third straight years, during which Auburn had two of the three worst offensive performances in Gus Malzahn's 11 years coaching at the college level, is an extremely sour note to mull over before whatever bowl destination is ahead for the Tigers (8-4, 5-3 SEC).

"There's been some ups and downs," Malzahn said. "Obviously, the first of the season it was really tough and our guys really rebounded and I'm proud of those guys doing that. We got a little banged up a couple of weeks ago. We had some of our key guys that weren't there or weren't 100 percent. We didn't do a very good job (against Georgia) and obviously, we didn't do a very good job (against Alabama).

"But we have a really young team. We got a lot of talented young guys. We're going to be really good in the future. This is one of those growing years of some ups and downs."

No matter the circumstances, losses to Georgia and Alabama, are never easy to tolerate for Auburn fans. The manner in which the Tigers were in such disarray on offense, failing to gain a first down for approximately 57 minutes spanning the second half against the Bulldogs and nearly the entire first half against the Crimson Tide, while the defense kept Auburn in the games makes it all the more difficult to swallow.

"It's terrible," senior left guard Alex Kozan said, "but you move on to the next game. No one game defines you. Especially these last two years, to not get it done (against Georgia and Alabama), it's disappointing."

Even with a lack of explosive plays in the passing game, which produced at levels not seen since the disastrous 2012 season, Auburn increased its scoring output from 27.5 to 32.3 points per game.

Injuries to quarterback Sean White and running backs Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson down the stretch essentially derailed an offense that still managed to get back to its run-first identity, with a jump of over 80 rushing yards per game compared to 2015.

"I think anytime you don't perform (the way) you would like to perform there's all kinds of things you try to do it better," Malzahn said. "That's just part of coaching, that's what we're supposed to do.

"Obviously, we didn't get it done late. ... We played some good teams and we weren't completely healthy but that's part of it. That's no excuse; you got to get it done and we didn't get it done."

In the short-term, Auburn will learn its bowl destination on Sunday, though a Florida loss in the SEC Championship on Saturday will all but officially clinch a trip to the Sugar Bowl.

"We'll bounce back, definitely," right guard Braden Smith said. "(The Iron Bowl) is going to hurt, but once we hear about that bowl game we just got to move on."

For the long-term, Auburn has to determine its plan at quarterback for the 2017 season as White returns, John Franklin III considers his options and former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham, and others, consider joining the mix on the Plains. There will be voids to fill as usual, with at least two starting offensive linemen, likely the top two defensive linemen and two members of the secondary others considering leaving for the NFL after the season.

Malzahn is confident in the returning pieces.

"We got a young team, a very talented team and the future is very bright," he said, "and we'll rebound."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Gus Malzahn: 2016 'one of those growing years' for Auburn

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

...If Auburn fans were told in August that the Tigers would finish second in the division and go to a New Year's Six game, they'd undoubtedly take it...

Lovely sentiments.

If I recall, however, even back in August, when presented with such a hypothetical, many here considered it

settling,

again.

Most of the playmakers on offense are sophomores and juniors with some freshmen mixed in.  Same goes on defense even with the loss of Holsey, Adams, and Lawson.  Auburn paid their dues in 2015, got better in 2016, and should be top notch in 2017.  If things go bad next year then it's time to crank up the heat.  If Auburn plays well in the bowl then don't be surprised to see Auburn in the 6-10 range preseason.

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Most of the playmakers on offense are sophomores and juniors with some freshmen mixed in.  Same goes on defense even with the loss of Holsey, Adams, and Lawson.  Auburn paid their dues in 2015, got better in 2016, and should be top notch in 2017.  If things go bad next year then it's time to crank up the heat.  If Auburn plays well in the bowl then don't be surprised to see Auburn in the 6-10 range preseason.

There is no way we can justify a 6-10 preseason rank until our offense comes back to form. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

There is no way we can justify a 6-10 preseason rank until our offense comes back to form. 

That's what I'm hoping happens with a healthy Sean and Bubba in the Sugar Bowl.  If Auburn comes out and stinks it up then probably just a top 25.  Preseason doesn't matter either way but it would at least illustrate the improvement of young players.

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Lovely sentiments.

If I recall, however, even back in August, when presented with such a hypothetical, many here considered it

settling,

again.

Actually, I don't think anyone thought that a 4 loss SEC team would make a New Year's Six bowl.

I will concede the point to Gus that this was a ¨growing year¨ this year, but not next year.

And most AU fans will not forget our offensive performance on a national stage in the 3 biggest games of the year: Clemson, UGA, and UAT, which most of us blame on poor preparation and coaching. So, who is growing, our players or our coaches?

14 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Actually, I don't think anyone thought that a 4 loss SEC team would make a New Year's Six bowl.

Probably right,

I  recall nothing of that either, but

wasn't a factor in "second in the division and go to a New Year's Six game,"

I'm convinced it's not really the 4 losses that have people agitated it's that one of those losses were to UGA. Would any of you have a different stance on the season if we would have beaten UGA but lost to lsu?

Winning will fix everything. If AU were to win the Sugar bowl and look good doing it, the general filling around fans will probably be good. A win plus a new QB in the mix would really fuel up the hype train for next year. However, a big loss and no incoming savior at QB will have some fans jumping off bridges.

We have about 3 growing years for every successful year.

And, if you're listening, please stop posting articles by Crepea.  Dude needs to die a silent death.

This is all a load of crap. That writer is a load of crap. The coach is full of crap too. 

Auburn couldn't take advantage of the SEC being down and still finishes third in the SEC second in the West with a mediocre record.... :beer2: 

I agree with Gus.  We played almost nothing but freshmen and sophomores this year and a few years from now, no one will remember the record, only that we went to the Sugar Bowl.  We are headed in the right direction.  Going from the Birmingham Bowl to the Sugar Bowl is a  step up, not down.  Looking to make the next step in 2017...  I am happy that we can take our seniors to a good bowl game though.  They definitely deserve it.

What is this? The fourth year in a row we've used the young team excuse? That's an entire career of players....where are we so young at? At what position? I mean our depth may be young but how is that any different than any other school on earth? Why is it that we act like we're going through some trials and tribulations that nobody else has to endure? 

I remember when Tennessee o line was like 2 sophomores and 3 true freshmen....You know how many people cared? Nobody. When we laughed at Tennessee about sucking nobody thought but they are young though....yet we think the rest of the SEC is supposed to respect us when we use that excuse

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I agree with Gus.  We played almost nothing but freshmen and sophomores this year and a few years from now, no one will remember the record, only that we went to the Sugar Bowl.  We are headed in the right direction.  Going from the Birmingham Bowl to the Sugar Bowl is a  step up, not down.  Looking to make the next step in 2017...  I am happy that we can take our seniors to a good bowl game though.  They definitely deserve it.

Love your optimism, abw0004, it's a good way to go through life.  However, realistically speaking, Bubba could (and probably will) go to the NFL after the bowl leaving us slim at the RB position again.  We are looking to a JUCO QB again this year and a lot of people on this forum will be sorely disappointed if he doesn't show up.  Gus is hoping to pull this thing out and this fan hopes he does, but I'm not sure he has changed enough to pull it off.

A poignant quote from William Arthur Ward:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.

I'm not sure Gus is the realist he needs to be.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

However, realistically speaking, Bubba could (and probably will) go to the NFL after the bowl leaving us slim at the RB position again.

I am not sure if he will leave or not.  I am really on the fence.  For his type of play, he should probably go to the draft, especially since he is married and has a child.  But his father has also hinted that he will return because "he wasn't sure if he is ready to hang up his Auburn jersey yet."  Staying another year could really help his draft stock if he can put a whole season of rush yards together, and considering the RB's going into the draft already.  But again, I just don't know.

If he does leave, I feel that Malik Miller can replace him for a bruiser running back.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I am not sure if he will leave or not.  I am really on the fence.  For his type of play, he should probably go to the draft, especially since he is married and has a child.  But his father has also hinted that he will return because "he wasn't sure if he is ready to hang up his Auburn jersey yet."  Staying another year could really help his draft stock if he can put a whole season of rush yards together, and considering the RB's going into the draft already.  But again, I just don't know.

If he does leave, I feel that Malik Miller can replace him for a bruiser running back.

For Auburn's sake I hope Bubba comes back, but realistically I think he bolts for the NFL.  I haven't seen a lot of Malik Miller to know if he could be as productive as Bubba, but he could grow into the position.  The off season is full of speculation and, as golf (stolen from cole256, who stole it from wardamneagleWDE last year) says, it's only December.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

For Auburn's sake I hope Bubba comes back, but realistically I think he bolts for the NFL.  I haven't seen a lot of Malik Miller to know if he could be as productive as Bubba, but he could grow into the position.  The off season is full of speculation and, as golf says, it's only December.

Golf stole that from me

57 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I forgot about that, I edited my post.

No I was just joking dude lol. He didn't steal it from me, I just said the joke first but I DEFINITELY stole it from @WarDamnEagleWDE lol! He said it throughout this past off-season

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

No I was just joking dude lol. He didn't steal it from me, I just said the joke first but I DEFINITELY stole it from @WarDamnEagleWDE lol! He said it throughout this past off-season

You mean I have to edit again?

Archived