this is alarming to me

aubiefifty

AGAINST AUBURN, BAMA KNEW WHAT WAS COMING

Remember the 55-yard pass John Franklin III threw to Eli Stove in the third quarter, or how about the 27-yard flea-flicker Jeremy Johnson completed to Will Hastings minutes before?

It's hard to forget both plays because they represented rare victories for Auburn on a night the Tigers lost convincingly, 30-12, to rival Alabama.

Well, as it turns out, the Tide was prepared to stop them.

"We drew the plays up in halftime," Alabama coach Nick Saban crowed. "They're going to run these plays and they did and we didn't defend them very well."

Saban's not clairvoyant, and his coaches aren't either. But they sure seemed that way Saturday, as Alabama squeezed Auburn in a vice-like grip and stymied the Tigers' Wildcat offense — anticipating the read-option plays and jet sweeps that emanate from it. 

For much of the afternoon, Alabama looked as if it knew what was coming. And Alabama's players admitted as much.

"It felt like we were right at practice," linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton said. "We owe it all to the coaches. We've got the best coaches in the country and they always week in and week out do a great job of game planning and putting us in the right positions."

In the 81st edition of the Iron Bowl, Alabama was uniquely ready to defend Auburn's scheme. The Tide even knew that Auburn H-back Chandler Cox could morph into a passer at some point Saturday, which indeed happened.

"Going into the week, Coach notified us that 27 was a quarterback in high school and if we got a pass out of the Wildcat formation he was going to be the one who threw the ball," Hamilton said. "So, the scouting report during the week helped us out." 

It did. Cox threw twice, completing one attempt that resulted in a three-yard loss and delivering an errant pass that Hamilton intercepted.

Saban credited Alabama's preparation to the institutional knowledge he and his staff have accrued over their years in the Southeastern Conference. 

"When you play somebody for 10 years here and five years at LSU and played against this coaching staff a lot...we kind of know a little bit about what they do," Saban said.

That became obvious almost immediately Saturday. Alabama conceded only 10 yards on Auburn's first five drives and surrendered one first down before halftime. At times, the Tide was a step ahead of the Tigers. The challenge of defending, RPOs, which once flummoxed Alabama, appeared an easy task on Saturday.

"Well, I feel like we got some of the best coaches in the world, in America. It just makes it that much easier to go out there and just play faster because they know so much and they work so hard," said outside linebacker Ryan Anderson. "They watch so much film so some guys don't have to. At some programs, for guys to be successful, you got to be a guy that goes in and watches a lot of film on his own. But I don't feel like you really have to do that here because our coaches really, really break it down for us. And most of the time, it's right."

Lately, it has been. Alabama hasn't conceded a touchdown in 267 minutes, 54 seconds. It's a remarkable streak and evidence that this Tide team is prepared for whatever it may face.

"We control what we control," Anderson said.

And that becomes easier when you understand how the game is going to be played.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think this necessarily indicates cheating as some will post later, but rather lack of ingenuity of our offense. It seems like we run about 5 plays a game and the pass plays have two or three route trees at most. 

1 minute ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Sounds like we have a mole on our team! I bet I know who it is. Now it all makes sense. Nobody is that good at predicting plays.

Have you watched the Auburn offense? It is the very definition of predictable.

No, there is one person on the team that I always suspected to be a plant, and now it all makes sense. I know sounds stupid, but I wouldn't put anything past saban. Remember his press conference in jan 2007. He plans to dominate bama's in-state rival. That doesn't just mean on the football field.

cheating never crossed my mind to be honest.i just think we keep getting out coached. other than arkie this year anyway. we need to quit being predictable. we cannot afford to give anyone anything we play against. that we run what we run and dare them to stop us stuff is worn out.

7 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

I dont think this necessarily indicates cheating as some will post later, but rather lack of ingenuity of our offense. It seems like we run about 5 plays a game and the pass plays have two or three route trees at most. 

Well it didn't take long, took about one minute after your post. Lol

The previously labeled "Offensive Genius" is long gone from Gus and we all know it.  Hell, my 12 yr old nephew who's played peewee & middle school football for a few yrs can tell me what offensive plays AU will run.  Gus' scheme has now become juvenile & simplistic at the college level.

Malzahn's trademarked  Desperate Turtle Offense is so predictable that everyone knows whats coming.  From there It's just a matter as to whether or not the competition is strong enough and quick enough to stop our top 10 recruiting.

There.  I said it.

1 minute ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Sounds like we have a mole on our team! I bet I know who it is. Now it all makes sense. Nobody is that good at predicting plays.

I agree. I would understand if they knew some plays were coming based on tendencies. But the flea flicker, I don't ever remember that play being run. And I have no idea how they could've drawn it up at halftime or diagnosed that presnap unless they knew we were repping it in practices. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I don't see any way they knew about that play without some extra help. The CoxCat throws are understandable because of the explanation given. The JF3-to-Stove throw was also a new formation and motion. To be able to draw that up seems pretty outlandish.

The flip side is Saban could be playing mind games with Gus right now. 

11 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

No, there is one person on the team that I always suspected to be a plant, and now it all makes sense. I know sounds stupid, but I wouldn't put anything past saban. Remember his press conference in jan 2007. He plans to dominate bama's in-state rival. That doesn't just mean on the football field.

Ok, even though I think you're FOS I'll play along. Who do you think is funneling info to Saban?

5 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Think about this for just a minute.  UAT's coaching staff is littered with former college and professional league coaches, several former Head Coaches.  

NOW, look at our coaching staff's pedigree and tell me which team has the ability to strategically out scheme, out wit and out coach their opponent.

I totally agree we have a mole and his name is.....................Gus Malzahn.  He has been telegraphing plays to Saban all year long.  

Removing the foil hat...the content of this article is truly truly embarrassing. At the very best, Gus's offense is wildly inconsistent. At its peak it steamrolls opponents (Arkansas rout). At its worst it absolutely embarrasses coaches, players, and fans (see every loss this year). And these peak/valley swings obviously greatly hinge on 1 or 2 key players' availability. That is not OK, and left unchecked will lead to his removal as the HC at AU. I'm just sick of not being able to field a complete team at Auburn.

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

All Gus. All Gus. 

So, Gus took over play calling again? Ugh, that up-jumped HS coach needs to go back to the Sun Belt.

On 11/28/2016 at 8:39 AM, aubiefifty said:

AGAINST AUBURN, BAMA KNEW WHAT WAS COMING

Remember the 55-yard pass John Franklin III threw to Eli Stove in the third quarter, or how about the 27-yard flea-flicker Jeremy Johnson completed to Will Hastings minutes before?

It's hard to forget both plays because they represented rare victories for Auburn on a night the Tigers lost convincingly, 30-12, to rival Alabama.

Well, as it turns out, the Tide was prepared to stop them.

"We drew the plays up in halftime," Alabama coach Nick Saban crowed. "They're going to run these plays and they did and we didn't defend them very well."

Saban's not clairvoyant, and his coaches aren't either. But they sure seemed that way Saturday, as Alabama squeezed Auburn in a vice-like grip and stymied the Tigers' Wildcat offense — anticipating the read-option plays and jet sweeps that emanate from it. 

For much of the afternoon, Alabama looked as if it knew what was coming. And Alabama's players admitted as much.

"It felt like we were right at practice," linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton said. "We owe it all to the coaches. We've got the best coaches in the country and they always week in and week out do a great job of game planning and putting us in the right positions."

In the 81st edition of the Iron Bowl, Alabama was uniquely ready to defend Auburn's scheme. The Tide even knew that Auburn H-back Chandler Cox could morph into a passer at some point Saturday, which indeed happened.

"Going into the week, Coach notified us that 27 was a quarterback in high school and if we got a pass out of the Wildcat formation he was going to be the one who threw the ball," Hamilton said. "So, the scouting report during the week helped us out." 

It did. Cox threw twice, completing one attempt that resulted in a three-yard loss and delivering an errant pass that Hamilton intercepted.

Saban credited Alabama's preparation to the institutional knowledge he and his staff have accrued over their years in the Southeastern Conference. 

"When you play somebody for 10 years here and five years at LSU and played against this coaching staff a lot...we kind of know a little bit about what they do," Saban said.

That became obvious almost immediately Saturday. Alabama conceded only 10 yards on Auburn's first five drives and surrendered one first down before halftime. At times, the Tide was a step ahead of the Tigers. The challenge of defending, RPOs, which once flummoxed Alabama, appeared an easy task on Saturday.

"Well, I feel like we got some of the best coaches in the world, in America. It just makes it that much easier to go out there and just play faster because they know so much and they work so hard," said outside linebacker Ryan Anderson. "They watch so much film so some guys don't have to. At some programs, for guys to be successful, you got to be a guy that goes in and watches a lot of film on his own. But I don't feel like you really have to do that here because our coaches really, really break it down for us. And most of the time, it's right."

Lately, it has been. Alabama hasn't conceded a touchdown in 267 minutes, 54 seconds. It's a remarkable streak and evidence that this Tide team is prepared for whatever it may face.

"We control what we control," Anderson said.

And that becomes easier when you understand how the game is going to be played.

Wow. Sickening. People are naive if be if they think Gus will ever make real changes to his philosophy.

"But cut the fire Gus crap." Am I right @gravejd

OP...too ridiculous for anyone to actually believe I would think.  Nick and bama players....playing with the minds of gullible AU fans.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Has been all over this for the last two games. 

In that case, let's keep Lashlee and start looking at HCs to hire after next season...that's where we're headed regardless of OC

look we got our ass kicked. Yes we are predictable and vs bama outmatched, very outmatched. But if they knew that flea flicker was coming it wouldn't have gained 25 (or however many) yards. This whole article might be fake. 

If we're not keeping toe to toe w/ bama's hiring of analysts we're fools.

Here's the thing. Most years, we have been able to know exactly what Alabama was going to do, too. Here's the difference. Our offense (and now theirs) has been dependent on missed assignments, except for 2010 & 2013 where we had offensive lines that got to the second level and runners who broke tackles. So, after playing a few years, they can see more than tendencies. They can see where the defensive mistakes led to explosive plays & clean those up.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

The previously labeled "Offensive Genius" is long gone from Gus and we all know it.  Hell, my 12 yr old nephew who's played peewee & middle school football for a few yrs can tell me what offensive plays AU will run.  Gus' scheme has now become juvenile & simplistic at the college level.

It's crazy we watch the game and I called several in a row. I am not a coach or analyst. That shouldn't happen. They're is always an answer for a strong offense .  That's why you have to be diverse in play calling. Also I did see a lot of the same plays with alabama as well. They just called them better and caught passes vs dropping them 

Archived