strength and conditioning

aubiefifty

I'd like to see Gus implement a similar toughness building off-season plan that he used in 2013. He kept alluding to "getting our edge back" that year, and I personally believe that needs to be a yearly occurrence. Ellis Johnson, in 2014, mentioned our practices are no longer physical ones and that affected his defense's play -- and probably the whole team's play. But I think we should put these guys through the ringer and let the toughness show up on game day. If it's every year, that will ensure that our entire program will be tough and it will undoubtedly show up on game day.

There was also rumor that Muschamp insisted he wouldn't come to AU to be a DC unless our practices involved more physicality? Am I remembering that right?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep every time I see a kid with an appendix problem the first thing I think of is he should have had better strength and conditioning. This is a pretty sorry state we are in when you win everything is fine win you lose everyone needs to go. Please try to keep in mind we have lost to 3 teams 1 was in the top 5, 1 was top 10 and the other we had our best running back out and our QB was hurt and didn't tell anyone. I hate to lose and I don't have on Orange and Blue glasses but with most people on this board it's high or low, no where in between.  

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good ole Hawk tackling.

You notice Bird is no one is trying to blow up the ball carrier and make the ESPN top ten highlights just good sound fundamentals.

2 minutes ago, Tigercj said:

You notice Bird is no one is trying to blow up the ball carrier and make the ESPN top ten highlights just good sound fundamentals.

We started teaching this method 2 years ago and it was a pain in the butt reprogramming their minds. However, it eventually started to become more instinctive and the missed tackles and injuries went way down.

10 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Yep every time I see a kid with an appendix problem the first thing I think of is he should have had better strength and conditioning. This is a pretty sorry state we are in when you win everything is fine win you lose everyone needs to go. Please try to keep in mind we have lost to 3 teams 1 was in the top 5, 1 was top 10 and the other we had our best running back out and our QB was hurt and didn't tell anyone. I hate to lose and I don't have on Orange and Blue glasses but with most people on this board it's high or low, no where in between.  

Sorry BG... I get the whole whining about 1 loss, but what does that have to do at all with the fact that we have 12 guys out indefinitely or for the year and a pile of others in one state of injury or another? Are we not allowed to care about the well being of our players? Just seems like the wrong thread for this rant.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

We started teaching this method 2 years ago and it was a pain in the butt reprogramming their minds. However, it eventually started to become more instinctive and the missed tackles and injuries went way down.

Would love to see auburn do more of this

4 hours ago, bg5 said:

Fair point.

Guess I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a QB not named Sean White started the Vandy game...we were told our QB was injured against Ole Miss... But what do I know? Maybe he didn't tell anyone....

Just to add to the point...

Byron Cowart, Marcus Davis, Jamel Dean, Kam Pettway, Stephen Davis Jr, Malik Miller, Kerryon Johnson, Chandler Cox, Sean White, Prince Sammons, Jauntavius Johnson, Xavier Dampeer, Tony Stevens, Paul James,Tre Williams, Stanton Truitt, Jeremiah Dinson, Jayvaughn Myers 

Thats a crazy looking injury list...

5 hours ago, Gibson SG said:

As far as UAT goes, we all know how they keep their players healthy, and it ain't a great S & C program.  Their health comes from a bottle, if you know what I mean.  Either Cochrane is an innovator the likes that has never been seen before, or it is artificially done. 

I wish someone could actually compare/contrast the supplements of the two programs. If you're out there with intel let's see it. 

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Sorry BG... I get the whole whining about 1 loss, but what does that have to do at all with the fact that we have 12 guys out indefinitely or for the year and a pile of others in one state of injury or another? Are we not allowed to care about the well being of our players? Just seems like the wrong thread for this rant.

The point is that since we lost the game everyone is down on everyone on the staff. This thread is about being down on the S&C coach. He didn't injure those guys and for the most part like an appendix there wasn't anything any S&C coach could have done about it. The reason (in my opinion) every is down on him is because everyone is down on the staff and he was next in line for the beat down.

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

Totally pointless to give him 66 carries over the span of 2 weeks when we outscored our opponents 94-17 with both games being competitively over at halftime. 

Staff must've really been wanting to add another notch in their 1000 yard rusher belt...

There's that roster management issue raising its head again.

i am not down on the staff and i posted this was not a troll thread first post. i will however ask questions about stuff to see why certain things are happening. heck i even like rhett which has stirred some heated discussion my way. but no i am not throwing anyone under the bus. tis not a crime to question why some things are happening. to me the list of injuries are alarming and i want to know why. i mean some kids might shortcut some stuff? young men being young men. but i do reserve the right to question the staff if the carries they let pettway get helped cause his injury.

22 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i remember reading a few years back our s and c coach saying they did certain things in workouts to hopefully prevent injuries to the football team. has anything changed? i know out guy is supposed to be good so this is not a bash post. but i have been watching or listening to auburn football and i cannot EVER remember this many injuries at one time in my life. is it just pure bad luck? 

I do think it's basically bad luck.  Early in the season AU was pretty healthy. It's only in the last few weeks of the season that we've seen injuries piling up, and most of those have been backfield skill position players.  Sometimes, it just happens.  Ryan Russell is a good S&C guy.  Maybe one of the best.  People will offer all kinds of opinions, but basically what it seems to boil down to is that some folks are always looking for someone or some thing to blame when stuff happens. Sometimes, there is no one to blame. As I said, sometimes, it just happens.

22 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

No, a strength and conditioning program can't prevent every injury, but when you have 12 guys with injuries that are bad enough that they can't play at all anymore, 3 more who are questionable, and countless more who are having to play hurt, just so you can field a team... that points to a larger problem.

That strikes me as non sequitur.  The human mind tends to look for patterns and wants to find them, and even in randomness, it often does. That appears to me to be the case here.  A rash of injuries sometimes just happens. I can't look at this team and point to players that are out of shape or even really winded with their hands on their hips late in games.  

An example of randomness?  Trey Matthews had double shoulder separations last season. This season? Nada.  Last year, Sean White had leg and foot injuries. This season? He gets driven into the turf and has a shoulder injury. Random, yet some folks want ti say that makes him "injury prone."  Folks are looking for patterns because that's what people do. We like to think we are a logical and rational species but really, to a large degree, we aren't.

25 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Or AU needs to move to Conference USA. That is where Gus has us going anyways. 

Honestly, I'll be looking forward to your posts during the recruiting cycle and when any coaching changes are made (if there are any).

13 hours ago, bg5 said:

The point is that since we lost the game everyone is down on everyone on the staff. This thread is about being down on the S&C coach. He didn't injure those guys and for the most part like an appendix there wasn't anything any S&C coach could have done about it. The reason (in my opinion) every is down on him is because everyone is down on the staff and he was next in line for the beat down.

The reason I'm questioning him is that my wife is trained in sports medicine and exercise science and she is questioning him.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

That strikes me as non sequitur.  The human mind tends to look for patterns and wants to find them, and even in randomness, it often does. That appears to me to be the case here.  A rash of injuries sometimes just happens. I can't look at this team and point to players that are out of shape or even really winded with their hands on their hips late in games.  

An example of randomness?  Trey Matthews had double shoulder separations last season. This season? Nada.  Last year, Sean White had leg and foot injuries. This season? He gets driven into the turf and has a shoulder injury. Random, yet some folks want ti say that makes him "injury prone."  Folks are looking for patterns because that's what people do. We like to think we are a logical and rational species but really, to a large degree, we aren't.

When you have twice as many season ending injuries than any other team in the NCAA, it's actually a pretty good idea to look for patterns, because there might be something that needs fixing. It may not be a matter of being out of shape but just not strengthening the right muscles or not working on flexibility enough.

I would bet money that Pettway's injury was 100% caused by fatigue, though I'm not sure you can condition someone for as much pounding as he was put through.

As for Sean, I was one of his biggest defenders against the tag of "injury prone" last year, but I can't do that now... 2 season killing injuries in 2 years is not a good sign for a QB, considering how little contact they have compared to the rest of the team.

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not down on the staff and i posted this was not a troll thread first post. i will however ask questions about stuff to see why certain things are happening. heck i even like rhett which has stirred some heated discussion my way. but no i am not throwing anyone under the bus. tis not a crime to question why some things are happening. to me the list of injuries are alarming and i want to know why. i mean some kids might shortcut some stuff? young men being young men. but i do reserve the right to question the staff if the carries they let pettway get helped cause his injury.

I don't always succeed, but I try to contribute measured optimism and positivity to the discussion, so please don't misunderstand my intent.  We do have trolls, but I don't think you're one of them.  And I don't consider the OP to be trolling.  We have an alarming number of injuries and it's very worthy of discussion.  (Just like our overall QB situation is probably worthy of its own forum.)  I just happen to believe the issue can't be attributed to a singular source.

WDE!

48 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Another 8-5 fan. Enjoying the funnel cakes? 

I'm curious...

Let's say they hand you the keys to the kingdom.  You've got three years to get us to the national championship game.

What needs to happen?

WDE!

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When you have twice as many season ending injuries than any other team in the NCAA, it's actually a pretty good idea to look for patterns, because there might be something that needs fixing. It may not be a matter of being out of shape but just not strengthening the right muscles or not working on flexibility enough.

I would bet money that Pettway's injury was 100% caused by fatigue, though I'm not sure you can condition someone for as much pounding as he was put through.

As for Sean, I was one of his biggest defenders against the tag of "injury prone" last year, but I can't do that now... 2 season killing injuries in 2 years is not a good sign for a QB, considering how little contact they have compared to the rest of the team.

I agree with your thoughts on Pettway's injury.  Muscles have a tendency to warn you when they start to be fatigued and need rest.  If you don't listen, they will make you rest them.  I don't know, but is there protocols for in season evaluations of muscle fatigue during the season?  Does your wife have any insight on this?

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree with your thoughts on Pettway's injury.  Muscles have a tendency to warn you when they start to be fatigued and need rest.  If you don't listen, they will make you rest them.  I don't know, but is there protocols for in season evaluations of muscle fatigue during the season?  Does your wife have any insight on this?

I haven't had time to dig deep with her... she's been working a lot and has been tired once she got home. I'm hoping to pick her brain more this weekend.

I'm not sure she will know about current protocols... it's been years since she served on a football staff. What she does know is how to properly prepare a body for various activities.

23 hours ago, Tigercj said:

Injuries are part of football, some can be avoided some cannot. With proper strength and conditioning a lot of injuries can be avoided. We all know that Gus has never been able to develop a plan b, and will likely with the current staff be unable too. S and C is the framework in which you build your program on I am not sure ours at this point is very good.

No plan B what season have you been watching.  We lose Jovon Robinson, and Roc Thomas before the season and we still have the leading Rusher in the SEC and KJ has had a very good year.  According to all the experts we have no LB depth but when players are hurt or not playing because of targeting we have had other guys step up.

In the running game Gus had a plan B a plan C and a plan D. 

The one place he has not had a plan B is QB and that is not totally true as going into Spring he thought Queen was healthy as a backup. After Queen got hurt it was to late to bring in another QB. We always new that Woody would need a Redshirt year and we were hoping JF3 would help us.

Now I am going to make a prediction that JJ is going to play well in next two games yes he will play well against bama. He has nothing to lose and no pressure on him so he will just play and do well.

Archived