auburn rushing attack thriving

aubiefifty

Auburn's running back situation had question marks ahead of the season. In the seven games since, those questions have largely been answered — just not necessarily in the manner that many expected.

Following the offseason departures of the team's three leading rushers from 2015 — Peyton Barber (NFL), Roc Thomas (transfer to Jacksonville State) and Jovon Robinson (dismissed) — both depth and who would fill the role of the team's No. 1 running back remained unknown. It was largely expected that sophomore Kerryon Johnson would take on the role of featured running back in Auburn's offense, but even when Johnson hasn't been able to play, the Tigers' rushing attack has thrived.

"One of the big questions coming into the season was our running back depth," coach Gus Malzahn said. "I thought it was a really good thing moving forward, that we had the guys that we had step up and just do a super job, running the football, protecting the football. So we have some depth at that position."

That was certainly on display last weekend during Auburn's dismantling of then-No. 17 Arkansas, as the Tigers rushed for 543 yards — the most in SEC history for a regular-season conference game. During that contest, Auburn had four position players rush for at least 78 yards as six players recorded a carry.

Kamryn Pettway finished with a career-high 192 yards and two touchdowns, while wide receiver Eli Stove had 94 rushing yards and a score, running back Kam Martin added 80 yards and a touchdown, while receiver-turned-running back Stanton Truitt had 78 yards and two scores. All four of those players finished with career highs in yardage.

Auburn turns in 2nd-best rushing performance of Malzahn era

Auburn turns in 2nd-best rushing performance of Malzahn era

Kamryn Pettway led the way for the Tigers again

"That's just about our overall execution on offense," right guard Braden Smith said. "No matter who we have in there, we're going to be able to get it done as long as everybody executes on the same page."

Perhaps the most promising sign for Auburn was that it was able to accomplish that without Johnson, who entered the game as the team's leading rusher on the season. Johnson has now missed the majority of the last two games after sustaining an ankle injury in the first quarter against Mississippi State on Oct. 8, yet Auburn has rushed for 771 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 6.82 yards per carry.

"That's pretty good because you know the defense can't just key on one dude," receiver Tony Stevens said. "'Oh Kerryon's here, so we just have to focus on him.' We've got Pettway, Stanton, Kam, a lot of running backs back there that can just get the rock and go score."

It's a depth chart that looks vastly different than what the Tigers expected to have after the completion of last season.

Barber, who led the team in rushing a year ago, surprisingly declared early for the NFL Draft. Thomas, who was seeing time at both running back and slot receiver in the spring, transferred to Jacksonville State to play for his former high school coach, and Robinson — who was expected to be the Tigers' workhorse this season — was dismissed from the team prior to the start of fall camp.

Auburn spent much of fall trying to work out its depth in the backfield, with Johnson widely expected to be the go-to guy, followed by Pettway. Behind them, H-back Chandler Cox was working at running back, as well as freshman Malik Miller and Martin.

Since then, however, Cox has returned exclusively to H-back after a couple experiments in the Wildcat. Miller sustained a knee injury earlier this month and will be sidelined a while longer, while Johnson rolled his ankle against Mississippi State and has yet to return — though he is expected to return against Ole Miss this weekend.

RELATED: Johnson expected to play against Ole Miss

Stove has emerged as a viable option on the speed sweep at receiver, filling the role that Ricardo Louis filled on offense the last three years, and Truitt has transitioned from receiver to running back to help bolster the team's backfield depth.

Freshman Kam Martin steadily increasing his numbers in Auburn's offense

Freshman Kam Martin steadily increasing his numbers in Auburn's offense

"He's a very talented young man."

It's not exactly how Auburn expected it to work out, but the bottom line is that it has panned out for the Tigers, who enter this Saturday's matchup with Ole Miss as the nation's No. 3 rushing team and the SEC's No. 1 running team. Auburn is averaging 302.86 rushing yards per game — behind only New Mexico and Army — while averaging 5.51 yards per carry. Seven different players, when you include quarterback Sean White, have rushed for at least 100 yards already this season.

Pettway, Johnson, Truitt, Martin and Stove are all averaging at least 5 yards per carry, too.

It reminds Malzahn of his first season at Auburn in 2013, when the Tigers led the nation in rushing and had four players rush for at least 600 yards.

"That's a good problem to have," Malzahn said of the team's options in the run game. "Take it back to 2013 when we had that crew of running backs that we had. Coach (Rhett) Lashlee can be a little more creative at times with personnel but it's good that we've got that many running backs or really even explosive players that we have."

Kam seems to have that vision that is missing from some other RBs, as well. As long as the O line continues to dominate as they have, any of the RBs next in line, will continue to have some big games. That line is really executing at a high level right now and its fun to watch them play.

I mean zero disrespect to any of our running backs when I say this but why every 4 and 5 star back isn't begging for a scholarship to Auburn still puzzles me.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I mean zero disrespect to any of our running backs when I say this but why every 4 and 5 star back isn't begging for a scholarship to Auburn still puzzles me.

All of our RB's return next year, plus 2 very good 4* RB's committed for next year. How many more would you say we need?

Aaaah, the luxury of “plug and chug.”

Please forgive an old fart’s reminiscence.

“Back in the day” (I’m starting to like that phrase, but this use would probably be ’85), I clearly (sort’a?) remember the response of opposing defenses to every (well-deserved) rest break for Mr. Jackson. From my season end-zone seats I could see entire teams relax and take a breather, just as some kid named Fullwood blew by.

WDE

5 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Aaaah, the luxury of “plug and chug.”

Please forgive an old fart’s reminiscence.

“Back in the day” (I’m starting to like that phrase, but this use would probably be ’85), I clearly (sort’a?) remember the response of opposing defenses to every (well-deserved) rest break for Mr. Jackson. From my season end-zone seats I could see entire teams relax and take a breather, just as some kid named Fullwood blew by.

WDE

From one old fart to another, Amen brother. That Fullwood kid weren't to shabby either. ?

1 hour ago, baldeagle55 said:

All of our RB's return next year, plus 2 very good 4* RB's committed for next year. How many more would you say we need?

Merely an observation from several years of seeing some of our RB targets go elsewhere. Was not meant in anyway to say we need more. Just curious.

31 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Merely an observation from several years of seeing some of our RB targets go elsewhere. Was not meant in anyway to say we need more. Just curious.

I understand what you mean sir, no problem. I've always felt like CTH was the most underated coach on this staff, so I think we'll be fine at RB as long as he's here.

i got a fun question? lol  serious tho. does anyone think pettway can truck { run over ] rueben foster the dirty traitor? just pokin fun at rueben but i sure would love to see it when we play in the ironbowl..............

I've happily watched Foster the previous couple of seasons and rejoiced in him taking a back seat.

This year he is a complete beast as bad as I hate to say it.

That is going to be one hell of a collision 

8 hours ago, vhsandaufan said:

One thing I think has helped is putting Darius James in the starting lineup. Not sure how this guy wasn't starting from Day 1

Leff improved drastically too. 

As a few have said, the fact that we have so many different types of runners is very satisfying. Beat them up with KP and KJ with his tackle breaking ability and truitt, if and kmarts straight away speed, having a speed sweep option at WR who can put his foot down and turn it up field. 

Establishing so many different threats (especially ones that can be on the field at the same time) will continue to open up more and more if we keep the threat consistent. 

The 3 current commits are all very good, Barrett is gonna be a workhorse, Williams reminds me of young Tre Mason & Mathews imo will be in the relm of KP as an HB/RB. He is 6-2 200lbs and will likely beef up to 220-230lbs.

20 hours ago, gr82be said:
22 hours ago, baldeagle55 said:

I'm with you gr8.  With Horton's pedigree and the proof on the field, I would think every 5-star back in the country would want to play for us. The fact that Barber scored a touchdown in the NFL last Sunday underlines the point that Auburn = success for running backs (at least those who play by the rules).

I didn't realize how close we were to having a 200 yd rusher and 3 -100 yd rushers.Has any team ever done that?That some serious rushing stats right there.

Archived