Lashlee's career prospects improving

aubiefifty

Lashlee's career prospects improving

Rhett Lashlee LSU.JPG
Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee before the LSU game Saturday Sept. 23, 2016, at Jordan Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)
James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com By James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 26, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated October 26, 2016 at 7:03 AM

Auburn at Ole Miss 2016

With a perfect record as Auburn's full-time play-caller, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee has helped lead a dramatic resurgence on the Plains that is also boosting his potential to land a head coaching job this off-season.

Lashlee is 5-0 as Auburn's play-caller dating back to last season's win at Texas A&M and the Tigers' four-game winning streak is due in large part to his stewardship of the offense, which has seen dramatic improvements across the board statistically since he took over at play-caller against LSU.

With No. 15 Auburn (5-2, 3-1 SEC) rediscovering its offensive identity and performing at an elite level under Lashlee, questions about what he can offer as a head coach are being answered for perspective employers.

"I think that was a question, especially a couple of years ago when Auburn played in the (BCS) national championship game was, Rhett's name was out there but how involved was in that how much of that was Gus? How much of that was him?" said Chris Vannini, managing editor at CoachingSearch.com. "You don't have to call plays as a head coach; there are head coaches who get jobs who have never called plays. Where Rhett's at in his career, getting that extra duty and so far, succeeding at it, is definitely a plus as he moves forward in his career."

What has changed at Auburn with Rhett Lashlee calling plays?

What has changed at Auburn with Rhett Lashlee calling plays?

Rhett Lashlee is in command of an Auburn offense averaging more yards, increasingly efficient in the air, more proficienct on third down and in the red zone and scoring more points than when Gus Malzahn was calling plays

With at least five games remaining before the coaching carousel begins, Lashlee says he hasn't thought about the future.

"Truthfully, I really haven't because you're only as good as your last game," Lashlee said. "(If) we go out and we don't play well these next few weeks we're going to obviously lose a lot of the momentum we have. Still focusing on just one week at a time.

"Our kids are playing with good confidence. The players deserve a lot of the credit because players make plays and our assistant coaches deserve a lot of the credit because our guys are executing at a better level than we were probably earlier in the season. It all goes hand-in-hand together and I'm just glad our guys got some confidence and hopefully we continue that."

Lashlee, 33, was a rising star in the coaching profession when he was among the finalists for the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach in 2013, but he faced questions as to his influence and control in Auburn's offense when considered for head coaching jobs, including at Tulsa, where he reportedly interviewed in 2014.

The four other finalists in 2013 have changed jobs, with two becoming head coaches, and Lashlee is among six of the 28 finalists from 2009-14 yet to at least change teams and most have gone on to become head coaches, including Gus Malzahn.

Besides Lashlee, only Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, TCU offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and Michigan's Greg Mattison, who changed positions within the program, have yet to leave their programs since being a Broyles finalist, while former TCU defensive coordinator Dick Bumpas, a two-time finalist, retired.

Malzahn maintains his belief that Lashlee, who is under contract at Auburn through June 2018 and making $600,000 annually, will be a college head coach in the near future.

"He's always been a really good coach and I've said for a long time, he'll be a head coach at this level," Malzahn said. "He's got all the things it takes. I think he's done a very good job (calling plays) so far and I think he'll continue to do that."

Lashlee's career prospects also took a hit last season as Auburn's offense floundered and quarterback Jeremy Johnson, who has spent more time with Malzahn and Lashlee than any other college quarterback, failed to deliver on the promise he showed as a recruit.

With Auburn ranking in the top four of the SEC and top 20 nationally in numerous offensive statistics and quarterback Sean White leading the conference in passer efficiency, Lashlee's name will almost definitely be mentioned for jobs that open at the end of the season.

"No coach has a perfect resume, every had made mistakes, everybody has bad season but how you come out of that and how you respond to that I think says a lot," Vannani said. "For Auburn to go with Sean White and for Sean to develop as he has this year ... that reflects obviously well on Rhett.

"If Auburn continues the trend it's going on, I think Rhett would have a very good shot at becoming a head coach this year. But other than what Auburn does on the field, it depends what opens up and if there's something that's a good fit."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly a huge turnaround, but it's only been a handful of games against defensively-challenged teams (not including LSU). Obvious improvement on the OL and better play-calling for sure.

My question is how is it possible the staff didn't know who were the top 5 OL coming out of the spring. Makes me wonder what could have been had these changes been implemented during the off-season.

If the trend continues through next season, then Lashlee will get a good selection of teams to coach. At this point, it's a little premature for anyone to think he is going to get a plum job at the end of this season, especially considering how bad the offense was last season.

33 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Perfect fit for Lashlee......Baylor.  Clean cut guy, beautiful family and an offensive guy. 

Baylor would not hire an OC from Auburn, when they have a better one already on staff.

I still think he ends up.at Arkansas state as the HC. .

Maybe if Herman leaves he can through his hat in for the UH job. 

Standard Media article:

1. Auburn playing badly?  Title is "When will Auburn fire Coach X?"

2. Auburn playing well?  Title is "When will Coach X leave Auburn?"

rinse and repeat

So much more to being a HC than having a couple games of success  calling the plays. I guess the media types are always needing something to write about though. Kinda funny actually. 

18 hours ago, DAG said:

I still think he ends up.at Arkansas state as the HC. .

Maybe if Herman leaves he can through his hat in for the UH job. 

I would think Arky State would be perfect for CRL.  He is somewhat a local hero in Arky and that would give him time to learn the job of being a HC.  If he over reaches, as the UH job, it could be a very bad move.  After all, he is only 33 and if he stays at Arky State 5 years and does a good job, at 38 he could be a very hot commodity in the coaching circle.

He is very young. I'd like to seem him stick around a while and wait for a great fit in his next opportunity. Too many coaches take bad jobs and set their careers back. 

3 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

He is very young. I'd like to seem him stick around a while and wait for a great fit in his next opportunity. Too many coaches take bad jobs and set their careers back. 

He has stuck around for far too long getting grossly overpaid (until possibly this season).  Rhett needs to move on

wde

someone correct me but did rhett not have a good go as oc at sanford? he helped win a conf champ at asu as well. some of you people act like he wears crimson and white. young man seems to be showing his worth and yet some of you still dog him. give the man a fair chance to see what he can do. i am sorry folks but if he was a complete idiot do you really think he would have made it this far? what if it was gus holding him back? we can only guess what the real story is so i do not get the bashing. he just called the biggest beatdown of a ranked team in auburn history. even if he is sharing ideas he still has input i would think. and that running game? best running game ever for a non option team i believe. let the lad live or die on his own merits.

40 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

He has stuck around for far too long getting grossly overpaid (until possibly this season).  Rhett needs to move on

wde

I would be perfectly happy having Gus with Rhett as OC for a long time. I think Gus has proven that he can put an exciting offense on the field and put up points in the toughest conference in the league. With an improving defense I look forward to the future. 

Bama is drawing from Gus in what they are doing on offense, with RPO's, zone read, jet sweeps, etc..

• 4 weeks later...

This hasn't been spoken about very much the past few weeks but with only a handful of games left, I have a couple questions. Rhett was reportedly done at AUburn (by our insiders) at the end of the season regardless of how the season went. Is this still the case? Also, I saw a few rumors of coaches possibly being fired at the end of the season. Two of those are Kliff Kingsbury and Mark Helfrich. Do any of you think that either of the two would have interest in being AUburns OC until getting another shot at being a head coach?

On 10/27/2016 at 9:44 AM, AUIH1 said:

wde

Agreed, and the GA game would seem to prove that without KP Lashlee´s credentials as an offensive guru were highly overrated.

7 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Agreed, and the GA game would seem to prove that without KP Lashlee´s credentials as an offensive guru were highly overrated.

JMO but every offensive guru looks over-rated when his key offensive weapons are not available. 

11 hours ago, aubearcat said:

This hasn't been spoken about very much the past few weeks but with only a handful of games left, I have a couple questions. Rhett was reportedly done at AUburn (by our insiders) at the end of the season regardless of how the season went. Is this still the case? Also, I saw a few rumors of coaches possibly being fired at the end of the season. Two of those are Kliff Kingsbury and Mark Helfrich. Do any of you think that either of the two would have interest in being AUburns OC until getting another shot at being a head coach?

I think it would depend upon their contract.  If they are owed a buy out, they probably take a year off before deciding what to do as their previous school will be paying their salary.  Chiz did the same thing, Muschamp did go right to work, but he had prior experience with Auburn.  I guess you never know unless you ask, I just hope somebody can work with Malzhan. 

28 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lashlee was Gus'ed during the uga game. FWIW. 

Are you serious? In terms of play calling or  not making a switch at quarterback. Honestly, I have less qualms with the play calling in that game as nothing was working (running or passing) and I'm not sure anything would've worked. But the decision to remain with White from start to finish was head scratching.

8 minutes ago, shabby said:

Are you serious? In terms of play calling or  not making a switch at quarterback. Honestly, I have less qualms with the play calling in that game as nothing was working (running or passing) and I'm not sure anything would've worked. But the decision to remain with White from start to finish was head scratching.

Decent throws not coming from a noodle-armed QB might have worked.  We kept trying to pass when Sean couldn't deliver the ball.  Bad playcalling.  A series from JJ or JF3 might have worked to get us in field goal range.  Gus didn't trust his other QBs and didn't trust his defense.  He kept the same injured QB out there even though ALL of us could see that he was getting nothing on his throws and the UGA D wasn't respecting anything beyond 10 yards.

Archived