pearl says gus not on hot seat

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn Bruce Pearl
Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn, left, stands to greet new basketball coach Bruce Pearl Tuesday, March 18, 2014, at the Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)
Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com By Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM, updated October 20, 2016 at 1:00 PM

A three-game winning streak has certainly halted a lot of the doubt about Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn's future on the Plains.

But according to Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl, Malzahn's job was never really in danger.

"Gus Malzahn is not on the hot seat," Pearl told SEC Network Wednesday in Nashville during SEC Basketball Media Days. "He's never been on the hot seat. He may be on the media's hot seat, but he's not on Jay Jacobs' hot seat. He's not on (the) Auburn family's hot seat. He's one of the most brilliant coaches in the SEC."

Following a 1-2 start with losses to Clemson and Texas A&M, Malzahn has Auburn on the right track.

After knocking off LSU, Louisiana-Monroe and Mississippi State, the Tigers have vaulted to No. 21 in the Associated Press poll ahead of Saturday's pivotal SEC West matchup with No. 17 Arkansas inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn improving as it enters crucial 4-game stretch

Auburn improving as it enters crucial 4-game stretch

"I told our Auburn fan base, 'What are you going to do? Are you going to stand by your coach? Are you on that Gus Bus or not?'" Pearl said. "Well let me tell you something. He's got a great defense, an unbelievable kicking game, his quarterbacks are better than a lot of people give him credit for. Huge game against Arkansas, then we've got to go to Ole Miss. But I'll tell you right now, Gus Malzahn — he didn't forget how to coach the other day. And I don't mind having the opportunity to say that right now. Boom. Boom. I'm talking' Boom."

Pearl's basketball team was picked by the media to finish 11th in the SEC this season. The Tigers haven't made the NCAA Tournament since 2003 and are set to open the season against North Florida Nov. 11 after an exhibition game against Montevallo Nov. 4.

I've seen the video of him saying this, but I would LOVE to know why bspn decided to bring this up during SEC Media days for BASKETBALL. Pearl is a champ and answered it just like I would have hoped, but I bet inside he was pissed wondering why his up and coming team is being overshadowed at a basketball media event about a non-story (for now) in football?

Archived