gus on kerryon johnson

aubiefifty

In my untrained eyes Kam Martin is closer to Brad Lester than KJ.

I'm not sure what previous AU running back I'd compare KJ to...and that might prove to be an incredible thing for us in the next 2 years actually

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus speak for he will be having surgery next week.  Lawson was day to day for 2 months last season.

wde

4 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree that we don't need to play KJ if he is not 100%. I don't think he is going to play either. I disagree that Kam is like KJ though. Kam is a different type of back Imo. I'm not a coach maybe someone like Bird could compare running styles of Kam and KJ. 

I disagree. We should absolutely play him if playing him does not risk further injury. Playing with a sore ankle, braced and taped is no big deal, it doesn't pose further risk to the athlete, and if he can help his team win, put him in there. 

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus speak for he will be having surgery next week.  Lawson was day to day for 2 months last season.

wde

This is funny, remember how there were rumblings of Carl Lawson coming back in like 6 months from a damn ACL tear for the 2014 season?

Kam Martin gives up 25 lbs or more to KJ. I'm no size queen, but that's a big difference. 

KJ has become a complete, every down back. He can do everything.

Not sure yet what Martin is. If we're lucky, we've got the next Dexter McCluster on our hands. But there's just not enough film on him yet IMO. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Kind of off subject, but I though Kam lost his redshirt to the transfer?

He did not lose his redshirt due to transfer.  He along with (~)13 other commitments were granted full release due to the allegations.  He also was never enrolled.  Art Briles is actually the reason Kam came to Auburn, he said if he did not go to Baylor, then Auburn is the place to go.  

27 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree that we don't need to play KJ if he is not 100%. I don't think he is going to play either. I disagree that Kam is like KJ though. Kam is a different type of back Imo. I'm not a coach maybe someone like Bird could compare running styles of Kam and KJ. 

I think you said this earlier in the post but it is almost guaranteed KJ will dress out.  It will most likely be a situation like last year where Alabama dressed Drake for the Iron Bowl out so Auburn had to adjust their gameplan, but Drake was never going to play that game.  Smart move by Kiffin actually.  I would say Kam is very similar though to KJ.  They both have the same grit, and run style with pass protection and pass catching abilities.  Kam I believe is shorter and needs more weight, but so did KJ last year.

Just now, abw0004 said:

I think you said this earlier in the post but it is almost guaranteed KJ will dress out.  It will most likely be a situation like last year where Alabama dressed Drake for the Iron Bowl out so Auburn had to adjust their gameplan, but Drake was never going to play that game.  Smart move by Tiffin actually.  I would say Kam is very similar though to KJ.  They both have the same grit, and run style with pass protection and pass catching abilities.  Kim I believe is shorter and needs more weight, but so did KJ last year.

There's the key to the comparison, if there is any.  If Kam is like Kerryon... he's like Kerryon, last year.

15 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I disagree. We should absolutely play him if playing him does not risk further injury. Playing with a sore ankle, braced and taped is no big deal, it doesn't pose further risk to the athlete, and if he can help his team win, put him in there. 

It may not risk further injury but significantly slows down recovery time.  Would you rather have a 80% KJ for the rest of the season playing every game, or a 100% KJ missing one more game to play the rest of the season.  If we don't need him, or simply need a change of pace, use Truitt or Martin.  All my opinion of course, except the injury part.  I have had to play through an injury like that and it was not a fun season.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It may not risk further injury but significantly slows down recovery time.  Would you rather have a 80% KJ for the rest of the season playing every game, or a 100% KJ missing one more game to play the rest of the season.  If we don't need him, or simply need a change of pace, use Truitt or Martin.  All my opinion of course, except the injury part.  I have had to play through an injury like that and it was not a fun season.

Honestly, I don't think Pettway will have any trouble at all rumbling through Arkansas porous rush D. There's a solid chance we won't need Johnson.

45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not sure what previous AU running back I'd compare KJ to...and that might prove to be an incredible thing for us in the next 2 years actually

KJ does have his own style.

44 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Your response assumes he come back and doesn't get dinged up again. You play RB in the SEC you will get dinged up, period. I'm not sure where the magic line is as far as 80% or 85% or 90% when you play a guy, but I know that is is less that 100%. I only played high school and some juco sports, but you play injured all the time. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

KJ looks more like Ronnie brown this year to me. He is very different than last year. 

He's a year more experienced, he knows he's the man this year, and he did gain 10-15 lbs, but I think the biggest difference is the role he's been given by the coaches. They weren't just blowing smoke when they compared him to DMac coming in. 

44 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Kam I believe is shorter and needs more weight, but so did KJ last year.

KJ was still 15 lbs heavier and a couple inches taller last year. KM would need to gain at least 30 lbs to get to where KJ is now as a SO. 

However, KI split the difference between KM and KJ and played at a listed weight of 201, so IDK, maybe I'm OK with what you said about KM relative to KJ. JK. 

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Hey @passthebiscuits.  Have you heard anything new?  Was the initial low sprain diagnosis premature?

No I think it's spot-on. The "high/low" description of a sprain is not severity, but rather location.

coaches don't want any info out...so take it for what it is. Tune in this sat!

5 hours ago, AUDevil said:

interesting that the line is as high as it is if he won't play much.

Not really. Pettway is plenty good enough to carry the offense a 2nd straight game against another mediocre run defense. He should have another 150+ yard / 2+ TD game.

11 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

He will definitely be dressed out. Atm it does not look like he will play, but it's very hard to get any info on injuries out of the coaches. We will be just fine with KP along with a heavy dose of JF3 running it down Arkansas throats. We win by 2 tds with or without KJ. There is really no point in rushing him back.

So do you think KJ being hurt could be the reason we're seeing the smith to QB and jf practicing with the ones? 

If it's the direct reason, that could point towards it being a longer term injury for KJ than we're expecting.

Smith to QB,JF3 practicing at an unspecified position with the ones. 

Reaching everywhere here. My normal pre-game day anxiety caused melt.

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

No I think it's spot-on. The "high/low" description of a sprain is not severity, but rather location.

coaches don't want any info out...so take it for what it is. Tune in this sat!

I had always understood that high was much harder to heal.

KJ reminds me of Brian Westbrook. Just a do it all back who has great hands and is much better between the tackles than given credit for.

11 hours ago, Tiger said:

KJ is Cadillac part 2.....just look at the way he runs in traffic.....looks just like he did to me

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I had always understood that high was much harder to heal.

I have always understood the exact same. Heard several coaches say it. I won't argue with a Dr. though.

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

I have always understood the exact same. Heard several coaches say it. I won't argue with a Dr. though.

In my experience, high is harder to heal and very painful. My son had one playing football. Took forever to heal. Would have been better off breaking it as far as healing. The thing was - you could tough it out and try to go, but you were just going to aggravate it again. It was a no win trying to play,

3 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

In my experience, high is harder to heal and very painful. My son had one playing football. Took forever to heal. Would have been better off breaking it as far as healing. The thing was - you could tough it out and try to go, but you were just going to aggravate it again. It was a no win trying to play,

Just to clarify so I don't sound like some quack MD: High ankle sprains are "high" because of their location at the ligaments holding the ankle together...and yes they take much longer to heal. Still, the "high/low" description is based on location, not the severity of injury...it just so happens that high sprains are actually more severe as well...hope that makes some more sense. In this case, this point is moot. (Like Rick Springfield telling Jesse's girl that he loves her.)

22 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I'm not sure where the magic line is as far as 80% or 85% or 90% when you play a guy, but I know that is is less that 100%. I only played high school and some juco sports, but you play injured all the time. 

Just nitpicking semantics here, but you don't play with an injury (serious damage to your body that is medically documented) but you do play hurt (pain, bruises, contusions, strains, sprains in some cases, stiffness, soreness, etc).  Being hurt is just a matter of how much pain you can tolerate without it affecting your ability.  And yeah, the only day your 100% in football is the first day of practice; after that something is always going to hurt and be less than 100%.

Archived