gus on kerryon johnson

aubiefifty

By James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 20, 2016 at 6:40 PM, updated October 20, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Arkansas at Auburn 2016

Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson's injured ankle remains on the mend and his status for Saturday's game with No. 17 Arkansas is not being declared publicly.

Johnson, who rolled his right ankle during the first quarter against Mississippi State on Oct. 8, has practiced all week.

"Kerryon's getting healthier, we'll see," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said during the Tiger Talk radio program Thursday night. "He practiced again (Thursday). He's not 100 percent, but we'll see where he is before game time."

Though Malzahn said the team would "have a better idea" of Johnson's availability following Tuesday's practice and said the sophomore looked better on Tuesday than on Sunday, the fourth-year Tigers coach is typically reluctant to disclose injury information.

Johnson leads Auburn with 538 yards and six rushing touchdowns this season.

In Johnson's absence, Kamryn Pettway had a career-game with 39 carries for 169 yards with three touchdowns against MSU.

True freshman Kameron Martin and Stanton Truitt have also taken reps at running back.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta say... sounding more and more like Gus is selling him playing, which means he probably won't unless it's necessary.  I'm glad we have Kam.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gotta say... sounding more and more like Gus is selling him playing, which means he probably won't unless it's necessary.  I'm glad we have Kam.

Yeah, it'd be great to have him back, but you don't want him to hurt it again or have it lingering the rest of the season.

I don't think he will play. Usually when a player is healthy enough to go he just says so. This time he says he is not sure. That typically means no in Gus speak. Nobody knows for sure. 

He will probably dress and stay on the sideline unless we get into a situation where we really need him.  Gus is probably hoping that Pettway and Co can give us all we need, and let KJ have another week of rehab.  Like someone said earlier, we will need him at 100% down the stretch.

Bummer, I really enjoy watching this kid play on Saturdays but I think KP will be able to get it done. I hope we are smart enough to not give him close to 40 carries again. We can't afford another injury to a running back right now

28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Bummer, I really enjoy watching this kid play on Saturdays but I think KP will be able to get it done. I hope we are smart enough to not give him close to 40 carries again. We can't afford another injury to a running back right now

In a competitive game I won't complain. In a blowout it is disturbing (39 carries)

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

In a competitive game I won't complain. In a blowout it is disturbing (39 carries)

Very good point. That was just flat out dumb. Risk far outweighs the reward. Not to mention he put the ball on the ground 3 times

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

interesting that the line is as high as it is if he won't play much.

I don't know how informed that opinion is. We were told by the trainer assigned to KJ that it was a low ankle sprain and that he could've come back in against MSU. I imagine Gus might just be employing a bit of gamesmanship since he knows that Bert is such a big fan of misinformation. 

As for KP, I think a big reason he got so many carries was because we were up against the bye week. I don't think we'll see it again unless he gets a good workout against UGA.  

If it were a severe high ankle sprain, he wouldn't be practicing at all. He would be in a boot or crutches still. If it's a low ankle sprain it is just a matter of playing with some pain. Very few guys on the team are 100% halfway through the season. I suspect gamesmanship as well. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know how informed that opinion is. We were told by the trainer assigned to KJ that it was a low ankle sprain and that he could've come back in against MSU. I imagine Gus might just be employing a bit of gamesmanship since he knows that Bert is such a big fan of misinformation. 

As for KP, I think a big reason he got so many carries was because we were up against the bye week. I don't think we'll see it again unless he gets a good workout against UGA.  

I think you are correct. I saw him on the sideline of that game stretching it and doing a stop/start on it and I didn't see him grimacing like someone would with a high ankle sprain.  If he is not 100% though, I would not play him so he can be 100% for Ole Miss.  Throw Kam Martin in there and see what he can do.  Very similar to KJ, and his redshirt was burned so why not?

He will definitely be dressed out. Atm it does not look like he will play, but it's very hard to get any info on injuries out of the coaches. We will be just fine with KP along with a heavy dose of JF3 running it down Arkansas throats. We win by 2 tds with or without KJ. There is really no point in rushing him back.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think you are correct. I saw him on the sideline of that game stretching it and doing a stop/start on it and I didn't see him grimacing like someone would with a high ankle sprain.  If he is not 100% though, I would not play him so he can be 100% for Ole Miss.  Throw Kam Martin in there and see what he can do.  Very similar to KJ, and his redshirt was burned so why not?

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

He will definitely be dressed out. Atm it does not look like he will play, but it's very hard to get any info on injuries out of the coaches. We will be just fine with KP along with a heavy dose of JF3 running it down Arkansas throats. We win by 2 tds with or without KJ. There is really no point in rushing him back.

Good info, guys, thanks!

7 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Interesting....

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Throw Kam Martin in there and see what he can do.  Very similar to KJ, and his redshirt was burned so why not?

Kind of off subject, but I though Kam lost his redshirt to the transfer?

33 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Kind of off subject, but I though Kam lost his redshirt to the transfer?

Kam is a true freshman. He has not had the time to redshirt or lose it. 

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Special waiver because of the rapey stuff, I think

Yep and a head coach being fired.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I agree that we don't need to play KJ if he is not 100%. I don't think he is going to play either. I disagree that Kam is like KJ though. Kam is a different type of back Imo. I'm not a coach maybe someone like Bird could compare running styles of Kam and KJ. 

Archived