franklin gets work with first string

aubiefifty

I don't think Sean has anything to worry about with the QB swapping. He has proven himself a leader on that field and will only continue to do better. JF3 is purely situational at this point to try and open up the defenses more.

I would like to see both on the field for certain plays just to see what craziness we can throw at these defenses. (As long as we don't end up getting one or both hurt in the process! LOL)

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Can we just put them both in the backfield at the same time!? There could be some crazy read/pass option plays with JF3..

Could put our QB depth at some risk?

I think that Gus & Rhett have carefully crafted how to use JFIII into the games left this season. This is going to create so much havoc for defenses to plan for. This is going to help SW to be a better QB. I think we will see an 80% SW and 20% JFIII. This should be deadly to opposing defenses knowing that there planning will be stretched to the limit.

We will not see another Clemson type of game this season. If this is done right, we will be the most formidable offense in the SEC.  I hope we rack up 525 or more yardage on the piglets defense. On the defensive play should be very good as well. We will keep the piglets under 400 yards in offense. We will keep the rest of the foes we face the second half under 400 YPG. We will not gain less than 400 YPG. from here on in to pay-dirt! 

Malzahn being coy as he is,  his phrasing was "not to give away our gameplan", "JF3 has worked reps with the ones (did not say QB) during the break", "Jason smith getting reps at QB to be ready in case we need him" ... this all sounds logical to me that we will see JF3 in the backfield, but not necessarily at QB. 

12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Malzahn being coy as he is,  his phrasing was "not to give away our gameplan", "JF3 has worked reps with the ones (did not say QB) during the break", "Jason smith getting reps at QB to be ready in case we need him" ... this all sounds logical to me that we will see JF3 in the backfield, but not necessarily at QB. 

Perhaps a jet sweep?

The problem I see is that if JF3 is inserted as QB sometime in the first half for example....and leads the team to a TD....do you send him back out the next time AU gets the ball, or go back to SW?  Would SW still be the #1 QB....or all of a sudden does JF3 jump to #1 and stay in the game for several series of plays?  

It might not be Clemson part 2....but there is a good possibility of creating confusion by creating the impression of #1 and #1A.   I'm all for getting JF3 on the field as much as possible but SW is still a new and relatively inexperienced QB and needs maximum time on the field IMO.

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The problem I see is that if JF3 is inserted as QB sometime in the first half for example....and leads the team to a TD....do you send him back out the next time AU gets the ball, or go back to SW?  Would SW still be the #1 QB....or all of a sudden does JF3 jump to #1 and stay in the game for several series of plays?  

It might not be Clemson part 2....but there is a good possibility of creating confusion by creating the impression of #1 and #1A.   I'm all for getting JF3 on the field as much as possible but SW is still a new and relatively inexperienced QB and needs maximum time on the field IMO.

SW is the #1 QB period. The only way he loses that spot is if he has a Kenny Trill meltdown.

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

This is what I started thinking about immediately. With loosing Roc and Jason smith not cracking the WR rotation, jf3 to the roc roll and smith to backup QB would be the most ideal situation for our offense if smith can make an acceptable backup option. 

Lots of ifs.  

Could just be Jason practicing at QB for trick plays and JF3 practicing with the ones at QB since we're heading into the second half of the season and Sean is feeling more comfortable so we're giving jf3 the reps he needs incase Sean goes down. 

But boy would I'd love to see jf3 getting the edge on that Arkansas defense. Can't remember the last player I watched who runs so fast and perfectly, it's fun to watch him fly by everyone. 

9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm not seeing the logic...I guess in case JF3 gets hurt in the process?

Yes, my guess is queen isn't 100% and JJ .....well we all know about that and don't want to burn the redshirt unless you have to

I think he could be a factor in the second half, especially this game. Arkansas is awful against the run, and anytime Franklin has played we run it very well. A package of zone read could result in some dynamic explosive plays. Also, this is normal stuff that's getting blown out of proportion. The bye week is the best time in the season to allow your 2nd string QB to get quality reps. He needs to be prepared. My mama used to say if you stay ready you ain't gotta get ready.

The name of the game is put the ball in the playmakers hands and JF3 is one of these guys....however not exclusively at QB. Franklin is an athlete that can throw. Nick was an athlete that could play QB....big difference. Like I said earlier I see him lining up in several positions that will also allow us to keep the same personal on the field when running nascar package

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Think of JF3 like the deep pass play in this offense. He will be great when used at the right moments, but you don't run him every series (I don't think he is prepared yet to create threats other than his legs, so he would face a very run focused defense pretty quickly). We have a good looking offense right now with SW. Just give the defense a change up every so often with a JF3 series.

5 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

The name of the game is put the ball in the playmakers hands and JF3 is one of these guys....however not exclusively at QB. Franklin is an athlete that can throw. Nick was an athlete that could play QB....big difference. Like I said earlier I see him lining up in several positions that will also allow us to keep the same personal on the field when running nascar package

I'm good with him being on the field to take advantage of his playmaking.....but just thinking that if he starts seeing a lot action as a QB that it could confuse things as to who is #1....and who the coaches would count on to lead an important drive. 

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm good with him being on the field to take advantage of his playmaking.....but just thinking that if he starts seeing a lot action as a QB that it could confuse things as to who is #1....and who the coaches would count on to lead an important drive. 

I agree completely but don't think we will see this

Archived