Jason Smith moves to QB

JMassie11

Just now, Charhair said:

I wasn't comparing Jason's issues to Duke's, I was saying that ever since Gus had to deal with the craziness that was Duke Williams, he's seemed to learn that it's better to address the problem and fix it rather than to let them continue the behavior because they're a star on the field or to even kick the player off before it goes to far, like with JR. 

I'm sure it's not your intent, but by comparing the situations, it's basically comparing the players.  Duke and Jovon were obviously problem players that needed to be dealt with. Nothing has been said or seen to indicate Jason is, so how it, whatever it is, is dealt with could be entirely different.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm sure it's not your intent, but by comparing the situations, it's basically comparing the players.  Duke and Jovon were obviously problem players that needed to be dealt with. Nothing has been said or seen to indicate Jason is, so how it, whatever it is, is dealt with could be entirely different.

I'm comparing Gus' mindset before and after they dealt with the Duke fiasco.

thats all I'm comparing. Even if the players actions are different, Gus has seemed to go to a much more no nonsense state of mind. 

I even said in my first post comparing the two situations that attitude problems seem like they can lead to players staying on the bench. 

Had I been comparing (or even thinking that) Jason is displaying the same things that Duke was I would said something more like "if he keeps acting like this he'll be kicked off".

i was comparing how Gus has seemed to change his mind about being softer towards players after one of his players got his jaw broken because he hadn't properly dealt with the team's bad egg. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

You're pretty cool so I'm assuming you're not making this loose quote up. I've yet to see that quote though.I do believe it is still possible that other players just earned PT over Smith because their applied extra effort. I don't consider that being in the doghouse. I consider that getting out what you put in.

That's fair. Nothing wrong with different perceptions of certain situations. I'd dig for it if I had a little more time today

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I do believe it is still possible that other players just earned PT over Smith because their applied extra effort. I don't consider that being in the doghouse. I consider that getting out what you put in.

THIS

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And now we got people saying that he could be the 2nd best QB on the team. Good grief .

I think they are saying "might have been if he had stayed at QB from the start".  @McLoofus made a solid point that Smith had a better JuCo career than Franklin.

28 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think they are saying "might have been if he had stayed at QB from the start".  @McLoofus made a solid point that Smith had a better JuCo career than Franklin.

He said he could absolutely overtake him if he sticks with it. All I know is Jason Smith was on the roster all of last year. They could've easily said after last year, "you know we have Jason Smith, let's move him back to QB in the spring and see what he has."

Jason and the coaching staff needs to find a position for this athlete and stick with it. Jason needs to compete at the highest level at whatever position is deemed necessary for him. 

For what I gathered, he is sharing reps at both positions. 

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

I'm comparing Gus' mindset before and after they dealt with the Duke fiasco.

thats all I'm comparing. Even if the players actions are different, Gus has seemed to go to a much more no nonsense state of mind. 

I even said in my first post comparing the two situations that attitude problems seem like they can lead to players staying on the bench. 

Had I been comparing (or even thinking that) Jason is displaying the same things that Duke was I would said something more like "if he keeps acting like this he'll be kicked off".

i was comparing how Gus has seemed to change his mind about being softer towards players after one of his players got his jaw broken because he hadn't properly dealt with the team's bad egg. 

Subsequent to Mr. Williams dismissal, when dealing with the Robinson affair, Coach Malzahn even used the phrase "...zero distractions on this team this year."

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I think Jason *could* be QB1 right now if he'd stayed there from the start. I think he *could* be QB2 by next year if he makes the switch back full time right now. Not saying it's likely, only that it's possible. Any Auburn fan who remembers all the way back to, I dunno, last year- much less almost every other year before that going back to the Bush administration- and doesn't allow for interesting possibilities at the QB position... I mean, I don't even know what to say. 

I hope he moves back over full time for the rest of this season. If he does, I think that would mean that he's bought back in and we've got a hell of an athlete fully focused on helping the team again. And we don't really have a viable QB3 right now. 

5 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Subsequent to Mr. Williams dismissal, when dealing with the Robinson affair, Coach Malzahn even used the phrase "...zero distractions on this team this year."

So by Smith remaining on the team, you'd ASSUME that Smith hasn't been a distraction. Or at least assume there has been zero distractions unless Makzahn softened up on his stance. I know where a dog house is btw. It's called a mancave with a lock. It's where you hide from your wife while she's pissed.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think Jason *could* be QB1 right now if he'd stayed there from the start. I think he *could* be QB2 by next year if he makes the switch back full time right now. Not saying it's likely, only that it's possible. Any Auburn fan who remembers all the way back to, I dunno, last year- much less almost every other year before that going back to the Bush administration- and doesn't allow for interesting possibilities at the QB position... I mean, I don't even know what to say. 

I hope he moves back over full time for the rest of this season. If he does, I think that would mean that he's bought back in and we've got a hell of an athlete fully focused on helping the team again. And we don't really have a viable QB3 right now. 

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Amazing discussion simply amazing....lets see doghouse, outhouse, craphouse, effort house, numnuts house think that just about covers it.

I have absolutely no fond memories of my past roofing work, but

I have since recognized somebody's gotta do it.

So I'm missing where we learned how many reps he's getting and with whom. Because I'm seeing that Franklin is getting more reps with the ones.

Let's put it this way. It was ridiculous when we rotated 3 QBs against Clemson. It wouldn't look much less ridiculous if White went down and a guy who's been playing WR exclusively until about 3 weeks before the time suddenly showed up on the field running the offense.

So, just a thought  for discussion. What if this is more at the request of JF3 ? Looking objectively right now SW is the starting the QB and unless something happens then JF3 will finish the year at backup. Coming out of Juco he has 1 year after this. With Woody and Tyler and SW coming back next year maybe he feels a position change would benefit him as far as possibly making an NFL try later. If so maybe they are looking for a workable backup depth so he can get some playing time elsewhere. Again I have seen nothing that makes me think this is the situation, just wondering if anyone else thinks this might be the case. TIFWIW. WDE

Here is the reason Smith is working at quarterback:  When Franklin is in the game teams are going to send an end straight at him every  time  so he can not keep the ball.  The answer  for this strategy is the old triple-option.  The path of the back that goes in motion will be modified  so he can be  a trailing  back for a pitchout or the back will stop and stack behind the tailback. If the end goes for the QB he will leave the outside  vulnerable to the third option.  The problem with this is if you prepare a triple-option attack, you will have no one to run it if Franklin gets hurt. Certainly not Sean or JJ.   Hence, enter Smith as the backup triple option QB.

2 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

So I'm missing where we learned how many reps he's getting and with whom. Because I'm seeing that Franklin is getting more reps with the ones.

Let's put it this way. It was ridiculous when we rotated 3 QBs against Clemson. It wouldn't look much less ridiculous if White went down and a guy who's been playing WR exclusively until about 3 weeks before the time suddenly showed up on the field running the offense.

I don't think anyone is expecting Jason to be QB 1 if Sean goes down. The popular opinion is if Sean goes down and John becomes QB 1, we need options for QB 2.

Our running attack is already a double-option. It only takes minor tweaks to the motion back's timing, path and positioning to make it a triple-option.  The change would not affect the assignments of anybody but the QB and that one running back. And, it will stop teams from crashing down on the QB with an end because they can't do that and defend the outside.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think anyone is expecting Jason to be QB 1 if Sean goes down. The popular opinion is if Sean goes down and John becomes QB 1, we need options for QB 2.

That's what I'm going with... so smart folks might distance themselves from the idea post haste, lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

So glad Jason got himself out of the doghouse. Wish Sean could have hit him on that screen, too.

Interesting that he finally shows up at WR after working with the QBs. Whatever, I hope he can keep contributing.

I think the only reason you saw him was that Tony S was hurt and did not play. I may be wrong. I am glad he contributed. Big time catch last night in a crucial part of the game. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think the only reason you saw him was that Tony S was hurt and did not play. I may be wrong. I am glad he contributed. Big time catch last night in a crucial part of the game. 

You might be right. Will be interesting to see if he stays out there as the season progresses.

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Indeed. 

21 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Indeed. 

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

That is pretty logical . 

Archived