Jason Smith moves to QB

JMassie11

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Some (smarter than I) have at least mused on the potential of getting Mr. Franklin in the backfield at other than just QB (e.g.

. I think I recall Bird laying down a similar word (with Mr. Franklin lined up in slot?) at some point, though I've been unable to confirm that earlier thread by my searching. Anyway, to the limits of my (addled) recall, most of these musings seemed to founder under the realization that putting both Mssr.s White and Franklin in the same time might leave us without depth at QB.

I guess my speculative (and certainly inexpert) question was, "Would identification of Mr. Smith as a serviceable backup, allow exploration of options of Mssr.s White and Franklin sharing the backfield?"

Throughout this thread is where I first mentioned it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't the redshirt allow you very limited playing time before the first 3 or 4 games?  I appreciate any enlightenment with this. Did you know that the arky coach wallows in the mascot's pig pen prior to all of the pigs home game?  He does look like the proto-type hog coach.

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Doesn't the redshirt allow you very limited playing time before the first 3 or 4 games?  I appreciate any enlightenment with this. Did you know that the arky coach wallows in the mascot's pig pen prior to all of the pigs home game?  He does look like the proto-type hog coach.

I believe you are thinking of medical red shirt, doc.

As for Bret's personal activities, I have no insight.

I do not think I have ever seen a school whose head coach actually resembles their mascot without trying to.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The one question I have is... why do we care?  What has Smith shown us over the past couple of years that isn't being done as well or better by someone else this year? I mean, where is there a need for him? I guess he could become the world's smallest top flight tight end, but that's pretty doubtful. Otherwise, he's been relegated to back-up because someone either is just naturally better, or wanted it more.  The fact that they are running him at QB part time tells you that they still respect him as a player and see him as a potential weapon, but the fact that he's not seeing the field on game day tells you that we have better options. That's the side effect of top 10 recruiting.  Good players are going to sit because better players beat them out.

This x 1000

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Throughout this thread is where I first mentioned it.

Aah. Pre-eClem-sia and way back when Mr. Robinson was still in the neighborhood.

Still some good thoughts and a worthwhile re-read for me.

Thanks for unearthing it.

what i want to know is how auburn gets woody barrett and he cant play and alabama gets their new freshmen qb and he is a superstar starting immediatly. are our qbs just to dumb to learn a play book and run a offense. i just cant understand how year after year alabama has no drop off at qb and auburn seems to always struggle at qb. we cant seem to recruit or develop qbs near as good as bama or for that matter many other key postions. all i know is anyone who says their is no difference in the top ten recruiting is full of it because as hard as auburn tries it cant duplicate what saban does year after year.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

what i want to know is how auburn gets woody barrett and he cant play and alabama gets their new freshmen qb and he is a superstar starting immediatly. are our qbs just to dumb to learn a play book and run a offense. i just cant understand how year after year alabama has no drop off at qb and auburn seems to always struggle at qb. we cant seem to recruit or develop qbs near as good as bama or for that matter many other key postions. all i know is anyone who says their is no difference in the top ten recruiting is full of it because as hard as auburn tries it cant duplicate what saban does year after year.  

Hurts was by far a better QB coming out of HS. He needed some polishing while Woody needed sculpting.

13 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

Hurt wasn't a stud right off the bench . He has progressed very well buy he also has playmaker all over the field along to go with a very stout defense .

He has jumped the learning curve though. 

32 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

No school in the history of college football has duplicated what saban does year after year...

every year i listen to all of you cheer at your top ten class. so auburn should have playmakers all over the field to go around a qb. problem is they either get arrested, cant make good grades or more often then not they just were way overated coming out of high school and never do much on the field

2 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

every year i listen to all of you cheer at your top ten class. so auburn should have playmakers all over the field to go around a qb. problem is they either get arrested, cant make good grades or more often then not they just were way overated coming out of high school and never do much on the field

You're kidding right? 

He hasn't had multiple hiesman finalists as well as a winner

all-sec QB's and RB's all through out his tenure 

weve currently got a QB ranked in the top 4 of the sec and two backs with over 500 yards (I believe both do anyway) 

how many consecutive 1,000 yard rushers have we fielded? I think Tate was the only one who wasn't a CGM recruit. 

Not to mention we've had a ton of success recruiting defensively too. And our dline speaks for itself. Loaded with 4-5*'s who are producing at extremely high levels

8 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

Trolls gonna troll.  

Hurts WAS an EE, and not only had the benefit of spring training, he also was able to participate in bowl and NC practices.  I believe he was used as the "Watson" for their game against Clemson.  I am fairly positive Satan had said that the amount of time he was able to spend on the field practicing and learning the system was invaluable, and basically gave him a one full year advantage over other true freshman,

that said, Satan has also remarked that Hurts is a special talent, so even the devil himself recognizes what an anomaly they have.

Maybe Jason is taking reps as a scout team QB to get prepared to give Auburn a good look for playing against Jalen Hurts. Not saying that the team is starting to prepare for that, but maybe Jason is just getting comfortable in that spot. So when the time comes, he can give our defense and accurate look.

sorry if this has already been mentioned. I didn't read through all the comments. 

3 hours ago, trout54 said:

Hurts WAS an EE, and not only had the benefit of spring training, he also was able to participate in bowl and NC practices.  I believe he was used as the "Watson" for their game against Clemson.  I am fairly positive Satan had said that the amount of time he was able to spend on the field practicing and learning the system was invaluable, and basically gave him a one full year advantage over other true freshman,

that said, Satan has also remarked that Hurts is a special talent, so even the devil himself recognizes what an anomaly they have.

And, don't forget... he wasn't exactly a superstar in his first couple of starts.  Had USC been good, this year, they could have opened the season with a loss.  bama wasn't their usual, invincible self until October. Had we been forced to play Woody, he might be hitting his stride by now, too... but we wouldn't have the record we do, because our schedule, to date, has been much harder than bama's.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Maybe Jason is taking reps as a scout team QB to get prepared to give Auburn a good look for playing against Jalen Hurts. Not saying that the team is starting to prepare for that, but maybe Jason is just getting comfortable in that spot. So when the time comes, he can give our defense and accurate look.

sorry if this has already been mentioned. I didn't read through all the comments. 

It was mentioned and refuted... for what that's worth.

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I believe you are thinking of medical red shirt, doc.

As for Bret's personal activities, I have no insight.

I think they are all medical redshirts. Anyone that doesn't play during the year usually had an "injury" that just would not heal. And yes you can play in a few games and still receive a redshirt.

16 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I think they are all medical redshirts. Anyone that doesn't play during the year usually had an "injury" that just would not heal. And yes you can play in a few games and still receive a redshirt.

Freshmen red shirt without injury all of the time, and they can't can set foot on the field to do so... though they can dress for games.  To get a medical red shirt, you have to submit a medical hardship waiver and can only have played in a limited number of games.

35 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Freshmen red shirt without injury all of the time, and they can't can set foot on the field to do so... though they can dress for games.  To get a medical red shirt, you have to submit a medical hardship waiver and can only have played in a limited number of games.

Any player can get a medical redshirt even if they play in one or two games to start the season. They have an "injury" and do not play the rest of the year. This is why you see a lot of guys play one or two games and then no more for the rest of the year.  The hardship comes in usually at the end of ones career when another injury has occurred and there is request for a 2nd redshirt year and a 6th year of participation. Jason White of OK was at OK for 6 years, with 2 redshirts.

7 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Any player can get a medical redshirt even if they play in one or two games to start the season. They have an "injury" and do not play the rest of the year. This is why you see a lot of guys play one or two games and then no more for the rest of the year.  The hardship comes in usually at the end of ones career when another injury has occurred and there is request for a 2nd redshirt year and a 6th year of participation. Jason White of OK was at OK for 6 years, with 2 redshirts.

Ok... you're not getting what I'm saying.  Yes... any player can get ONE medical red shirt and ONE standard red shirt, thus Jason white's 6 years. The standard red shirt requires the player be enrolled and taking classes, allows practice with the team and dressing for the game, but allows NO play time. This is the common red shirt for Freshmen, though it can be taken later in ones career in rare cases. A medical red shirt is given to someone who plays in 30% or less of the season and none after game 6. In order to receive this red shirt, it has to be approved by the NCAA.  You can't just go "he's hurt, we're going to red shirt him". Contrary to may tinfoil hat theories, very few, if any schools fake injuries to get a red shirt year.  

It doesn't matter if they took a regular red shirt or not, they have to file for a medical red shirt.  What you are thinking of, at the end of a career, is filing for an extra year of eligibility. That is for players who are injured more than once. They are requesting an extra year of eligibility because they weren't eligible to file for a medical red shirt with their second injury.

Here's some light reading for you... http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

18 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Medical redshirt-worthy injuries have to be confirmed by an independent (non-team) doctor, and are not automatically granted. 

Archived