Jason Smith moves to QB

JMassie11

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's played this year so he can't redshirt. One snap and your year is shot, barring certain special injury situations. Also, he used his redshirt year at JUCO so he couldn't redshirt anyway.

Dont remember seeing him on the field is why I mentioned that. If he played that throws that idea out the window

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So some journalists know Jason was under center in practice. Jason at QB in practice lets our D face a speedster (less than JF3, more than SW1) with durability & strength that is also a bona fide thrower. Probably end of story.

Since we are all just guessing....maybe the coaches plan to run JF3 more in the coming games, and want an additional body ready to fill that role if there is an injury?  There is no way that he is being developed to become the number 2 guy at this point in the season. There is also no way he is being brought in to take more snaps as the wildcat than JF3. So the only real options are 1, scout team qb or 2. extra body for some reason. 

I don't get the lack of Jason Smith use this season. The guy came here as a juco transfer, had some playing time his first year and now he just stands around during the games. Is there really nowhere that this guy could be used. Hell, move him to the secondary! God knows we need depth there. If it worked for Frazier and Trovon Reed, why not JS?

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Since we are all just guessing....maybe the coaches plan to run JF3 more in the coming games, and want an additional body ready to fill that role if there is an injury?  There is no way that he is being developed to become the number 2 guy at this point in the season. There is also no way he is being brought in to take more snaps as the wildcat than JF3. So the only real options are 1, scout team qb or 2. extra body for some reason. 

That's why I found this so strange. He definitely has shown play making abilities. I'm sure it's something behind the scenes we will never know.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't get the lack of Jason Smith use this season. The guy came here as a juco transfer, had some playing time his first year and now he just stands around during the games. Is there really nowhere that this guy could be used. Hell, move him to the secondary! God knows we need depth there. If it worked for Frazier and Trovon Reed, why not JS?

For fear of starting an argument here, I'll just say that there are some reasons unrelated to his football skills- combined with reasons very much related to the football skills of the new guys- that have contributed to his lack of participation. It likely has nothing to do with the coaches not acknowledging his talent. 

As for where we need depth the most, I'd say it's at QB. We need to be legit 3 deep. Sean is good. JFIII is almost as good. There's 2, but after that it gets sketchy. JJ is bad. I'm not sure what Queen's story is, but it might be telling that he wasn't one of the 18 or so different guys who took direct snaps against Clemson. We should absolutely preserve Woody's redshirt if we can, both with eyes toward the future and also because he came in raw and doesn't have the experience around him to succeed as a true freshman. Enter Jason Smith, who actually has more post-high school, in-game experience at QB- 10 starts at MGCCC- than anyone on that list other than Sean (and it's really close there). 

And, highlighting that last point, let's look at the main difference between Jason and JFIII, which is pre-2015 Jeremy Johnson and Tyler QUeen vs pre-2016 Jeremy Johnson and Tyler Queen. Jason didn't have a chance of taking the job from Jeremy and Queen was a factor in the rotation, but he wanted to get on the field ASAP, so he moved to WR immediately. And he got on the field and was pretty good. However, JFIII was recruited specifically to take the job from Jeremy (Gus, for whatever reason, refused to acknowledge what he had in Sean... a circumstance about which I have my opinions) and Queen wasn't a factor in the rotation. 

Long story short, it's entirely possible that Jason Smith could be our starting QB right now if he had stayed at the position. Heck, he might've gotten in there last year after Sean got hurt. And he realizes that. It's unlikely that he'll ever get meaningful reps there now, but that has become at least equally unlikely at WR. He missed the cut. So maybe he at least pursues something he's passionate about.  

Sorry, this has turned into a long ramble, and one full of speculation at that. Draw your own conclusions. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The one question I have is... why do we care?  What has Smith shown us over the past couple of years that isn't being done as well or better by someone else this year? I mean, where is there a need for him? I guess he could become the world's smallest top flight tight end, but that's pretty doubtful. Otherwise, he's been relegated to back-up because someone either is just naturally better, or wanted it more.  The fact that they are running him at QB part time tells you that they still respect him as a player and see him as a potential weapon, but the fact that he's not seeing the field on game day tells you that we have better options. That's the side effect of top 10 recruiting.  Good players are going to sit because better players beat them out.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For fear of starting an argument here, I'll just say that there are some reasons unrelated to his football skills- combined with reasons very much related to the football skills of the new guys- that have contributed to his lack of participation. It likely has nothing to do with the coaches not acknowledging his talent. 

As for where we need depth the most, I'd say it's at QB. We need to be legit 3 deep. Sean is good. JFIII is almost as good. There's 2, but after that it gets sketchy. JJ is bad. I'm not sure what Queen's story is, but it might be telling that he wasn't one of the 18 or so different guys who took direct snaps against Clemson. We should absolutely preserve Woody's redshirt if we can, both with eyes toward the future and also because he came in raw and doesn't have the experience around him to succeed as a true freshman. Enter Jason Smith, who actually has more post-high school, in-game experience at QB- 10 starts at MGCCC- than anyone on that list other than Sean (and it's really close there). 

And, highlighting that last point, let's look at the main difference between Jason and JFIII, which is pre-2015 Jeremy Johnson and Tyler QUeen vs pre-2016 Jeremy Johnson and Tyler Queen. Jason didn't have a chance of taking the job from Jeremy and Queen was a factor in the rotation, but he wanted to get on the field ASAP, so he moved to WR immediately. And he got on the field and was pretty good. However, JFIII was recruited specifically to take the job from Jeremy (Gus, for whatever reason, refused to acknowledge what he had in Sean... a circumstance about which I have my opinions) and Queen wasn't a factor in the rotation. 

Long story short, it's entirely possible that Jason Smith could be our starting QB right now if he had stayed at the position. Heck, he might've gotten in there last year after Sean got hurt. And he realizes that. It's unlikely that he'll ever get meaningful reps there now, but that has become at least equally unlikely at WR. He missed the cut. So maybe he at least pursues something he's passionate about.  

Sorry, this has turned into a long ramble, and one full of speculation at that. Draw your own conclusions. 

I don't see how we need depth at QB. Right now we Sean-JF3-JJ-Tyler Queen-Devin Adams-and Woody Barrett. So if something happened to SW and JF, we would have to settle for JJ or Tyler Queen. Now I don't know anything about Tyler Queen. In fact, the guy has pretty much gotten a free education to just be a career IR guy. That's a sweet deal. But if our number 3 guy is JJ, that's not too shaby. I dont see many other teams, who have less of a drop off from the Starter to the 3rd string. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't see how we need depth at QB. Right now we Sean-JF3-JJ-Tyler Queen-Devin Adams-and Woody Barrett. So if something happened to SW and JF, we would have to settle for JJ or Tyler Queen. Now I don't know anything about Tyler Queen. In fact, the guy has pretty much gotten a free education to just be a career IR guy. That's a sweet deal. But if our number 3 guy is JJ, that's not too shaby. I dont see many other teams, who have less of a drop off from the Starter to the 3rd string. 

Well, I already articulated my thoughts on that succession about as well as I know how. I can't tell if you didn't read or disagree. Either way, cool. 

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I thought he just explained why we need it quite well.  Tyler Queen probably isn't ready to be throwing like he'd need to as the main guy.  They want to preserve Woody's redshirt.  What has Devin Adams shown that would indicate he's a legitimate option?  And JJ is terrible.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, I already articulated my thoughts on that succession about as well as I know how. I can't tell if you didn't read or disagree. Either way, cool. 

I read. I guess I just disagree, I guess. Lol. It doesn't matter, anyway. Odds are we won't be in a situation where we have to use the number 3 guy..........

...Knock on wood

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I read. I guess I just disagree, I guess. Lol. It doesn't matter, anyway. Odds are we won't be in a situation where we have to use the number 3 guy..........

...Knock on wood

Amen to that, brother.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The one question I have is... why do we care?  What has Smith shown us over the past couple of years that isn't being done as well or better by someone else this year? I mean, where is there a need for him? I guess he could become the world's smallest top flight tight end, but that's pretty doubtful. Otherwise, he's been relegated to back-up because someone either is just naturally better, or wanted it more.  The fact that they are running him at QB part time tells you that they still respect him as a player and see him as a potential weapon, but the fact that he's not seeing the field on game day tells you that we have better options. That's the side effect of top 10 recruiting.  Good players are going to sit because better players beat them out.

Good question,

and I can only inexpertly speculate from the position of a poor puzzler staring at a jumbled pile of jigsaw pieces.

IFF an at least serviceable QB3 could be found, for the offense as currently configured, would that allow the staff to explore possible new configurations in which our current QB1 and QB2 see to field at the same time?

Half wish/half I don't have a clue but the more depth we get just maybe  the more likely we are to see JF3 included in the game plan in a more contributory role and less as the back up qb we can't afford to get hurt.

2 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Good question,

and I can only inexpertly speculate from the position of a poor puzzler staring at a jumbled pile of jigsaw pieces.

IFF an at least serviceable QB3 could be found, for the offense as currently configured, would that allow the staff to explore possible new configurations in which our current QB1 and QB2 see to field at the same time?

Ummmmm... I guess?  I think you need to elaborate more.

Jason has not been practicing as a scout team QB. He has taken reps with the ones and twos. Not a lot of snaps,  but this is not about preparing him to be the scout team. My guess is two fold . Jason is a gifted athlete. WR was not his position through HS and Juco, so it may not be unusual for the young WRs coming in to pass him on the depth chart. Everything is not bad news. Actually we have some gifted athletes that coaches want to get on the field some way, especially down the road against uat. Don't make to much more of it than that. WDE

56 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Ummmmm... I guess?  I think you need to elaborate more.

Some (smarter than I) have at least mused on the potential of getting Mr. Franklin in the backfield at other than just QB (e.g.

. I think I recall Bird laying down a similar word (with Mr. Franklin lined up in slot?) at some point, though I've been unable to confirm that earlier thread by my searching. Anyway, to the limits of my (addled) recall, most of these musings seemed to founder under the realization that putting both Mssr.s White and Franklin in the same time might leave us without depth at QB.

I guess my speculative (and certainly inexpert) question was, "Would identification of Mr. Smith as a serviceable backup, allow exploration of options of Mssr.s White and Franklin sharing the backfield?"

18 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I guess my speculative (and certainly inexpert) question was, "Would identification of Mr. Smith as a serviceable backup, allow exploration of options of Mssr.s White and Franklin sharing the backfield?"

So, you'e surmising that at least part of the reason we haven't seen Franklin as a speed back or slot receiver is because they don't have another QB in line if he gets hurt... correct?

You might be on to something, but my guess would be that we aren't doing it because, having him back there would be a dead giveaway as to who will get the ball, because you can bet he's not going to be doing much blocking.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So, you'e surmising that at least part of the reason we haven't seen Franklin as a speed back or slot receiver is because they don't have another QB in line if he gets hurt... correct?

You might be on to something, but my guess would be that we aren't doing it because, having him back there would be a dead giveaway as to who will get the ball, because you can bet he's not going to be doing much blocking.

Well, much like when he's in at QB or when an elite WR is in any game, just his presence can open up things for other guys. Onterrio McCalebb didn't get the ball every time he was in the game.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, much like when he's in at QB or when an elite WR is in any game, just his presence can open up things for other guys. Onterrio McCalebb didn't get the ball every time he was in the game.

I agree that having John in the game puts the fear of god into defensive coordinators.  That being said, I'm pretty sure OMac blocked when his number wasn't called. I don't know that we want to put our "186 lb" QB in a position to have to do that.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Absolutely and definitively correct.

Thank You, and 

WDE

I wonder if the coaches are deciding to move him into our change of pace QB. 

Not wanting to put jf3 in that position for fear of injury but still wanting to give us more of a DT than KJ in the wildcat 

I don't see why that would be necessary with the way Sean has been playing but it did open our offense up when we were stalling against Clemson and tamu

edit: seems this may already be the tone of the discussion, I didn't read too much of the replies before posting 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree that having John in the game puts the fear of god into defensive coordinators.  That being said, I'm pretty sure OMac blocked when his number wasn't called. I don't know that we want to put our "186 lb" QB in a position to have to do that.

Onterrio never sniffed 180... :dunno:

I mean, if we're going off the premise that having a serviceable backup other than JFIII makes it "safe" for him to play somewhere other than QB, then it is as safe to let him block as it was to let Onterrio do it (however much he did, which I don't think was all that much- here is a good breakdown of how he was more often used as a decoy in the inverted veer). And it's not like blocking in space- when you more or less get to dictate the terms of contact- makes a guy any more prone to injury than being a QB or running the ball; probably less so, in fact. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Onterrio never sniffed 180... :dunno:

I mean, if we're going off the premise that having a serviceable backup other than JFIII makes it "safe" for him to play somewhere other than QB, then it is as safe to let him block as it was to let Onterrio do it (however much he did, which I don't think was all that much- here is a good breakdown of how he was more often used as a decoy in the inverted veer). And it's not like blocking in space- when you more or less get to dictate the terms of contact- makes a guy any more prone to injury than being a QB or running the ball; probably less so, in fact. 

What I'm trying to get at is with or without a reliable 3rd string, I don't see the coaches putting John in a position where he might experience contact, unless he's actually carrying the ball. If Sean is the QB, and John runs the sweep in the inverted veer formation, more often than not we would have to hand off, or fake and drop Sean back for a pass. I doubt we would see him run out of something like that, repeatedly.  We could modify the formation and add a tailback, so Sean could fake or hand-off to either, but in both that case, and the case of Sean dropping back, John would likely have to pick-up a block on the DE for maximum success.  Risking your back-up QB as a blocker seems questionable, and considering the coaches were not happy with Sean downfield blocking (even when he kind of sucked at it), I doubt they would put John in that position, even if Smith was a viable replacement.  Smith is just not fast enough to be the threat John is.

All that being said, I'd love to see them find a way to get John on the field where we get all of his benefits and only put him in harms way when he's toting the rock.

Archived