Coach hand and the OL

aubiefifty

Why Auburn’s new-look offensive line has become a quick success

STARKVILLE, Miss. — Herb Hand is not one of those coaches that focuses on getting his starters as many reps as possible.

He’s more of a doomsday-prepper.

Instead of sticking to one unit to dominate practice time in the offseason, the first-year Auburn offensive line coach emphasized rotation and creating new combinations up front. He played the “what if” game over and over again, even going so far as training players at different positions.

“Some coaches will stick to the same five for every drill no matter what from spring to fall camp,” Auburn left guard Alex Kozan said. “Coach Hand likes to rotate guys. Not just because he thinks one player is better, it’s just that if somebody goes down with an ankle (injury) or tears something, God forbid, we need to be ready with guys to step up in certain spots.”

AUBURN 38, MSU 14: Report card | Defense accomplishes some big goals

Auburn has been in one of those spots over the last two weeks. Senior center Xavier Dampeer played through an undisclosed injury in the second half of Auburn’s Week 4 win over LSU, forcing the Tigers to move left tackle Austin Golson back to his old position and bring in Darius James on the blind side.

The move worked in Week 5 against Louisiana-Monroe, when the Tigers had their best offensive day of the season in the red zone. So when Dampeer was less than 100 percent for Auburn’s visit to Mississippi State, the offensive staff decided to go with the new-look lineup again.

“We have a lot of confidence in Xavier,” Malzahn said. “But he was somewhere between 75 and 80 percent. We knew they were going to play a lot of zero nose with a guy that weighed about 320 pounds. We felt like that would be tough on him.”

The reshuffled lineup worked again for Auburn in a 38-14 win on Saturday. The Tigers dominated what was supposed to be a strong Bulldogs defense at the point of attack, paving the way for 335 first-half yards — their most before halftime since the 2014 Iron Bowl shootout.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Who else thinks that X's injury is going to take a LONG time to get better... if it ever does?

X does not need to play another significant snap at center for AU. The OL is 10x better with Golson at Center and James out at tackle. 

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

X does not need to play another significant snap at center for AU. The OL is 10x better with Golson at Center and James out at tackle. 

Why did it take so long to recognize this?  What if X never got injured?  I'm glad things are getting better and I think Rhett is doing a pretty good job mixing up the playcalling...but I'm with you in that why did it take until the LSU game to start to get things fixed?

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Why did it take so long to recognize this?  What if X never got injured?  I'm glad things are getting better and I think Rhett is doing a pretty good job mixing up the playcalling...but I'm with you in that why did it take until the LSU game to start to get things fixed?

Curious as to what the coaches are saying behind closed doors about this.

That's just dumb when production actually improves due to said injury.

I don't think I have ever called a coach a direct insulting name on this site, but only an idiot who doesn't value their job would opt for the lesser option just because an injury forced a better unit onto the field.

I'm not really sure we played a defensive line of any worthy measure in the last two weeks to test where we are as far as offensive line play.

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

I'm not really sure we played a defensive line of any worthy measure in the last two weeks to test where we are as far as offensive line play.

MSU was and always has been big on the front...maybe not the best but they were a worthy foe..

1 hour ago, Bigpappa said:

Word has it X will be back at center and Golson back to tackle cause Herby says no one will lose a position due to injury.

:hammerin:

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

That's the norm for us...sadly. It takes either injuries or graduation for us play guys we should've been playing all along. 

2 hours ago, Bigpappa said:

Word has it X will be back at center and Golson back to tackle cause Herby says no one will lose a position due to injury.

Well this just sucks. I like X as a young man and all but it has more to do with the fact that Golson is much more comfortable at C. Half the time he looks like a fish out of water at T. I don't think Golson is horrible at T but we saw just how well the OL gelled with him at C. X isn't playing horrible either but i'd rather have Golson's experience in games. Just seemed like a different energy with Golson at C. 

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Leave the line as is, you don't screw with a winning streak. Basic sports knowledge. 

Please tell Jerry Jones this! Geesh i'm going to strangle him if he removes Dak for Romo! :ucrazy::angry:. But i agree..leave the OL alone.

2 hours ago, Bigpappa said:

Is there a link to support this statement? 

46 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Well this just sucks. I like X as a young man and all but it has more to do with the fact that Golson is much more comfortable at C. Half the time he looks like a fish out of water at T. I don't think Golson is horrible at T but we saw just how well the OL gelled with him at C. X isn't playing horrible either but i'd rather have Golson's experience in games. Just seemed like a different energy with Golson at C. 

I guess I wonder about that unless there is some link that that.   He played at Ole Miss OL as a freshman ....mostly at Guard and some tackle...and was a major factor in their OL...he was not a center.   Center was a new position for him after last year I got the impression that he and the coaches were eager for him to go back to his accustomed position this year..

Just saying....the complaints about what the coaches have done seems unjustified.  Maybe the issue about an injury to X is legit...or maybe just an excuse to make a change...but hard to judge what Golson has done in recent games versus what X had to face in Clemson and TAMU.  JMO

James has done better than Golson at tackle.  Maybe the guys he was facing the past two weeks were not as good but he sure looks to be better.  And Golson has looked better at center than X.  Again, maybe the competition was not as good but State's DL is normally very good and they were getting blown off the ball right up the middle.  So something was happening in there that was much better than what we have been seeing this year.  

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

James has done better than Golson at tackle.  Maybe the guys he was facing the past two weeks were not as good but he sure looks to be better.  And Golson has looked better at center than X.  Again, maybe the competition was not as good but State's DL is normally very good and they were getting blown off the ball right up the middle.  So something was happening in there that was much better than what we have been seeing this year.  

Probably so...James too good to keep on the bench....and Golson too good to sit on the bench.....so the way to get the two better OLmen into the game was to move them as was done.   Hard to complain about the outcome thus far.....Arky will tell us a bit more I think ....but if X is healthy he gives us a good option if something should happen to either Golson or James....a nice place to be IMO.

5 hours ago, Bigpappa said:

Have to be kidding me? No way this happens but we are talking about a Gus coaches O. 

They are playing better but still the weakest link on O.  As everyone has pointed out we are going to need consistent play to give us a shot against the better teams.

They are going to have to play lights out against bama. 

It seems to me the improvement is more at tackle than center, but may also be better chemistry with this new unit. James needs to stay on the field, he was crushing MSU guys all day. X or Golston at center, not sure there is much of a difference. 

I said it before the MSU game, and agree with most here, that we should stay with the new unit as long as it is producing. Feel bad for X, but the team and winning is more important. 

Archived