sean white on blistering pace

aubiefifty

Auburn University Football Not just a game manager: Sean White completing passes at a historic pace for Auburn

Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2016 3:50 pm | Updated: 12:32 am, Mon Oct 10, 2016.

Sean White doesn’t mind being called a game manager. In his mind, it doesn’t matter what term people use to describe him.

But White does believe he’s more than that. And Auburn’s sophomore quarterback is beginning to prove it.

In the three games since offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee took over the play calling duties head coach Gus Malzahn, White has completed 47 of 61 passes for 677 yards, four total touchdowns and one interception.

Auburn has won all of those games — against LSU, Louisiana-Monroe and Mississippi State — by an average of 26 points.

“We’re starting to click as an offense,” said White, who completed 14 of 18 passes for 204 yards in his latest outing against the Bulldogs. “I just have confidence that, when coach calls a play, we’re going to execute it and make it work.”

The numbers White is putting up as Auburn’s starter aren’t typically what you would refer to as gaudy. He’s not averaging north of 450 yards per game like Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes II. He hasn’t thrown 23 touchdowns like Washington’s Jake Browning.

But in the context of Auburn’s run-first offense, White doesn’t need to. His 1,187 passing yards (58th) and six touchdowns (82nd) don’t rank him anywhere near the nation’s top quarterbacks, but that doesn’t mean he’s not playing stellar football for the Tigers of late.

Through six games this season, White ranks seventh in the country with a 69.7 completion percentage. In Auburn’s three-game winning streak, he’s completing passes at a 77-percent clip.

If the season ended today, White would rank second in program history in single-season completion percentage behind only Ben Leard, who hit on 70.7 of his 157 throws in 1999. In their most accurate seasons on the Plains, Jason Campbell, Cam Newton and Nick Marshall completed 69.6, 66.1 and 60.8 percent of their passes, respectively.

“I didn’t know that. But that’s good,” White said. “That just means we’re throwing and catching it well, and coach is putting us in good spots. We just have to keep that up.”

White was nearly flawless in Starkville, Miss., on Saturday. His biggest mistake of the afternoon — an interception thrown on his second attempt of the game — wasn’t necessarily his fault, as the ball bounced off receiver Tony Stevens’ hands and into those of a Mississippi State defender.

White also overshot Stevens on a deep ball that would have gone for a 51-yard touchdown had the throw been on target, but he did hit six passes of more than 15 yards and two of more than 30. During one stretch, he hit 11 of 12 passes, including a 3-yard touchdown to Ryan Davis.

After going 1 of 2 for minus-3 yards and an interception in his first two dropbacks, White went 13 of 16 for 207 yards and a touchdown over his final 18, getting sacked twice.

“He did a great job managing the game again. I think coach Lashlee did a good job putting him in some good situations, too,” Malzahn said. “Sean was very efficient throwing the football and made some very timely throws.”

And White isn’t just completing passes; he’s spreading them around, too. Thirteen players have a catch this season, and the quarterback’s 14 completions on Saturday went to eight different receivers, with none of them catching more than three passes.

“Us making plays on them gives him confidence to spread the ball,” Davis said. “And I just feel like Sean is one of those guys that says, ‘Hey, I’m going to throw it to you. Go ahead and make a play.’ That gives us confidence in ourselves going out there and running routes and stuff like that.”

So call White a game manager if you want. As well as the Auburn quarterback has played of late, it doesn’t bother him one bit.

“You can’t be worried about what other people think,” White said. “Really the most important thing to me is just winning. So as long as we’re winning, I don’t really care.”

12 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Can you imagine what he would be if Gus/Rhett knew how to develope a QB?

So if Sean does well the coaches still don't get to receive any credit for this. 

Well OK

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So if Sean does well the coaches still don't get to receive any credit for this. 

Well OK

It's called "sarcasm" Jeff. 

War Eagle!

25 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

It's called "sarcasm" Jeff. 

War Eagle!

I cannot ever tell if it's sarcasm or not. So many people say it about Gus.

WDE!

On 10/11/2016 at 6:47 PM, Richard78 said:

Imagine what he would be if he didn't have to crawl out of the hole that the Clemson debacle created for his numbers. He'd be #2 in the SEC by QBR... #14 in the nation (one behind Lamar Jackson), #1 by efficiency in the SEC (he already is)... #2 in the nation, and #1 in the SEC for yards/attempt... tide tied for #8 in the nation.

On October 12, 2016 at 11:13 AM, lionheartkc said:

Imagine what he would be if he didn't have to crawl out of the hole that the Clemson debacle created for his numbers. He'd be #2 in the SEC by QBR... #14 in the nation (one behind Lamar Jackson), #1 by efficiency in the SEC (he already is)... #2 in the nation, and #1 in the SEC for yards/attempt... tide for #8 in the nation.

Like all this except for that word "tide" at the end. I believe that is a four letter word which use is utterly without any redeeming value in the English language and that any future  inclusion of the word in a post should result in the most severe sanctions on the poster. What say you, Mods? ?

12 hours ago, Auskip said:

Like all this except for that word "tide" at the end. I believe that is a four letter word which use is utterly without any redeeming value in the English language and that any future  inclusion of the word in a post should result in the most severe sanctions on the poster. What say you, Mods? ?

Wow... that has to be the most egregious typo I have ever made in my life.  I have now fixed the original post and I beg the forgiveness of all of the Auburn faithful who my fat fingers may have offended.

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Wow... that has to be the most egregious typo I have ever made in my life.  I have now fixed the original post and I beg the forgiveness of all of the Auburn faithful who my fat fingers may have offended.

You are absolved my son. Go forth...but repeat this sin no more.

On October 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM, aujeff11 said:

I cannot ever tell if it's sarcasm or not. So many people say it about Gus.

WDE!

"The joke is that you believe Malzahn doesn’t understand the joke.

“Our players always loved to kinda mimic him and do those kind of things,” former Tulsa assistant and head coach Bill Blankenship said. “One of the players told a joke in the locker room once. Without missing a beat, Gus says, ‘Jokes. Huh. I don’t tell ’em, I don’t get ’em.’”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburns-odd-couple-gus-malzahn-herb-hand-personalities-differ-philosophies-same

I came across this quote by Trent Dilfer after Sean White's performance at Elite 11 QB competition and being named the MVP. I loved this quote and am sure if you are an Auburn WR you will appreciate this..

Dilfer: "His accurate isn't just accurate. It's exact. It's an NFL type of ball. I'm stealing this from Steve Young, but he has an artistic ball. He paints a picture with his ball."

37 minutes ago, IndianTiger said:

I came across this quote by Trent Dilfer after Sean White's performance at Elite 11 QB competition and being named the MVP. I loved this quote and am sure if you are an Auburn WR you will appreciate this..

Dilfer: "His accurate isn't just accurate. It's exact. It's an NFL type of ball. I'm stealing this from Steve Young, but he has an artistic ball. He paints a picture with his ball."

So Trent, are you saying he's like ambidextrously talented ... or something?  I just want to see him throw the ball.  Nothing else.  Whatever artistic methods he employs in private are none of my business.  

Archived