Top 4 Wrs based on talent and upside

GwillMac6

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Not a mystery. He didn't want to be QB2 and there was no hope of unseating JJ. You might remember those of us who suggested Sean might even *push* JJ getting roundly mocked.

He did more than crack the lineup at WR and he produced about as well as he could while only having a legit QB for a small portion of the season. He was a deep threat in an offense that couldn't push the ball downfield. He also got some work running speed sweeps.

Suddenly he's a ghost in a WR corps where Will Hastings has 13 or 14 catches. Does anyone really believe he's suddenly *that* bad at football? Easy answers are easy.

Interesting that in his AU bio, he is referred to as a converted QB.  He had a very good HS record but he was the "jack of all trades" that I mentioned....able to do a lot of things well but once in college, he was not able to excel to the the same extent as guys who apparently specialized at one position from their early HS days. 

Maybe not "that" bad a football player but last year he was playing on a team with very limited WR talent .  As noted, he made some good plays for the team....but only had 6 rushes and 13 receptions which was pretty modest considering that nearly half his reception yards were on that spectacular 77 yard play against bama.   Now, some guys from last year have bloomed it seems and the frosh are a step beyond and are working way into the line-up...leaving him behind.  

JMO but sometimes for guys like him, his versatility eventually works against him.   I feel bad for him but football is a heartless sport in many ways. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with all the positives on Stevens. He drops too many balls for me. I would go:

K Davis, Slayton, Ryan, K Johnson

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I don't agree with all the positives on Stevens. He drops too many balls for me. I would go:

K Davis, Slayton, Ryan, K Johnson

As somebody else pointed out, the guy who gets the most looks drops the most balls. Folks said it about Ricardo and they said it about Sammie. Both of those guys are getting paid to play football now.

That said, I like your list.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Interesting that in his AU bio, he is referred to as a converted QB.  He had a very good HS record but he was the "jack of all trades" that I mentioned....able to do a lot of things well but once in college, he was not able to excel to the the same extent as guys who apparently specialized at one position from their early HS days. 

Maybe not "that" bad a football player but last year he was playing on a team with very limited WR talent .  As noted, he made some good plays for the team....but only had 6 rushes and 13 receptions which was pretty modest considering that nearly half his reception yards were on that spectacular 77 yard play against bama.   Now, some guys from last year have bloomed it seems and the frosh are a step beyond and are working way into the line-up...leaving him behind.  

JMO but sometimes for guys like him, his versatility eventually works against him.   I feel bad for him but football is a heartless sport in many ways. 

Yeah I think there are more polished receivers ahead of him. Until anything else comes out, I question anybody that speaks so as matter of factly about his so called attitude or mental issues.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

As somebody else pointed out, the guy who gets the most looks drops the most balls. Folks said it about Ricardo and they said it about Sammie. Both of those guys are getting paid to play football now.

That said, I like your list.

Well, now I sure look dumb. Damn, Tony.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Slayton is the WR with the most upside

He is my favorite on the team admittingly. I hate he does not get a lot of targets but hey we have a plethora of talent at the position so  its a good problem to have!

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Slayton is the WR with the most upside

Very smooth out of his breaks and catches out in front of him. I wish he was targeted more often.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well, now I sure look dumb. Damn, Tony.

Funny. Stevens drops balls. He does make some nice catches too. K Davis hands are like suction cups. I thought Slayton looked good and so did Ryan. Hope KJ is ok.

Just now, JFDTiger80 said:

Funny. Stevens drops balls. He does make some nice catches too. K Davis hands are like suction cups. I thought Slayton looked good and so did Ryan. Hope KJ is ok.

he makes good BODY catches!!! haha all his catches besides the 1 deep one down the sidelines were body catches. He scares me when he has to catch it with his hands.

Archived