new john franklin article

aubiefifty

4 hours ago, CCTAU said:

JF3 should get a series or two each game. He has the ability to break one at any time. But when teams key on the run, he has shown he can put one in the air also. Now I don;t think that can be a sustainable offensive game plan at this time. But it surely can be several plays stringed together to change the pace of the game.

I don't think that will hurt SW's momentum or feelings. I definitely would rather see JF3 in the mildcat rather than KJ.

Lol.....mildcat. why didn't I think of that?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Maybe the "quick-cat".

I think KJ is effective in the wild cat when he's got good blocking

i don't think the coaches call it because they want the defense to fear his pass, it's just a way get the ball into KJs hands faster on a play where the defense knows we're going to run. He's just good vision, usually, and knows when to run off the tackle/up the middle. His 4th down conversion against Arkansas is the perfect example imo

none the less, I like the idea of more jf3

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I guarantee you that isn't going to happen with this year's version of the WildCat.  It's all about power running between the tackles and that is NOT what we want Franklin doing or he will get hurt. We want him in space... the question is, how do we get him there?

Space Shuttle????

18 hours ago, Charhair said:

are we wasting JJ's talent by sitting him too? He's got far better athletic tangibles than SW and is a perfect sized QB who can run and throw. But he doesn't have it together mentally. 

Ive heard that we may meet the same fate JJ took us to with jf3 starting. 

Also, as bird said to me in another thread, we've known he has a nice deep ball. Doesn't change that his short/intermediate passing game isn't good enough for the coaches to start him. 

They obviously don't feel the need to prove to the fans that jf3 isn't as good of a QB as Sean (right now). We all saw how that wound up when the coaches finally let Jason smith throw it last year. 

You do realize we've got a top 5 SEC QB whose QBR is among some of the better in the nation. And he has done it against some nice defenses. 

Ok, so Charhair, Big Bird, and McLoofus. I want you 3 to know that I am not a rah rah fan, who just watches the scoreboard shows every week, and don't know anything about football. I hope all 3 of you got together on Sesame Street with Big Bird this weekend and had a huge party after Sean lit up the ULM defense. Throw out this game, and the Arky State game, and the LSU game before you do your evaluations, b/c none of those 3 had a decent defense. We should have scored several more points on LSU, but our goal line offense is so bad, we just couldn't get it done. Look at the 2 games where we scored 13 and 16 points against two very good defenses. That is what you are going to get with Sean QBing under this offensive system. It may be good enough to beat Vandy, Miss St, and maybe GA. and Arky, but to beat teams with defenses like AL, MS, TAM, and Clemson, this offense with Sean QBing is not. So if 7-5 or 8-4 records are good enough to make yall happy, more power to you all. If AU is going to win an SEC Title, then either our offensive structure has to change to meet Sean's skillset, or we have to change to a true dual-threat QB, and give JF3 a legitimate shot.  Have a blessed day.

8-4 is good enough this year and will prevent a complete coaching turnover at the end of the season.  Gus is still learning how to manage a P5 program in the toughest conference in the country.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

8-4 is good enough this year and will prevent a complete coaching turnover at the end of the season.  Gus is still learning how to manage a P5 program in the toughest conference in the country.

I can agree with that for sure. My point is that we will win 7 or 8 games with either Sean or JF3 QBing. But, if we put JF3 in to see what he can do, we may pick an extra win or 2. I don't know that for sure, but would really like to find out.  Can you see my point on that? The most wins we get with Sean in this particular offense ( and it doesn't look like Lashlee and Gus are going to change the offense) is 8. I could be satisfied with 8 for this year, but wouldn't you really like to see if we might could get 9 or 10?

11 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I can agree with that for sure. My point is that we will win 7 or 8 games with either Sean or JF3 QBing. But, if we put JF3 in to see what he can do, we may pick an extra win or 2. I don't know that for sure, but would really like to find out.  Can you see my point on that? The most wins we get with Sean in this particular offense ( and it doesn't look like Lashlee and Gus are going to change the offense) is 8. I could be satisfied with 8 for this year, but wouldn't you really like to see if we might could get 9 or 10?

The other side of the coin is that we could Lose one of those "given" 8 wins.......

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Throw out this game, and the Arky State game, and the LSU game before you do your evaluations, b/c none of those 3 had a decent defense. We should have scored several more points on LSU, but our goal line offense is so bad, we just couldn't get it done. Look at the 2 games where we scored 13 and 16 points against two very good defenses. That is what you are going to get with Sean QBing under this offensive system. It may be good enough to beat Vandy, Miss St, and maybe GA. and Arky, but to beat teams with defenses like AL, MS, TAM, and Clemson, this offense with Sean QBing is not. So if 7-5 or 8-4 records are good enough to make yall happy, more power to you all. If AU is going to win an SEC Title, then either our offensive structure has to change to meet Sean's skillset, or we have to change to a true dual-threat QB, and give JF3 a legitimate shot.  Have a blessed day.

Thank you, I will.

BTW, saying LSU doesn't have a good D shows a little something about your evaluations. They have at least 6 and possibly 8 that will play on Sundays. 

Also, all the scoring we did in the RZ against LaMo was because of sean Not the OL that blew holes in the D, yet all the scoring we missed against the others was because of Sean, not the OL failing to blow holes through the D....especially since most of our scores came through the air. Brilliant analysis and conclusions.

I also submit that if we had Sean as our QB the whole time during the Clemson game we win that one going away.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I also submit that if we had Sean as our QB the whole time during the Clemson game we win that one going away.

While a possibility, you have nothing to back this assumption. Scripts can be turned in a heartbeat. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

While a possibility, you have nothing to back this assumption. Scripts can be turned in a heartbeat. 

Very true. However, I think that if we didn't have the whirleybird-rotate-every-3-plays offense we would have had more consistency leading to more opportunities.  That said, SW missed an obvious TD and we still had a chance to win.

Just now, bigbird said:

Very true. However, I think that if we didn't have the whirleybird-rotate-every-3-plays offense we would have had more consistency leading to more opportunities.  That said, SW missed an obvious TD and we still had a chance to win.

True. But the same coaches that were calling for the whirlybird would've been coaching SW as well. Also, Clemson could probably point at some of their missed plays and claim they left more points on the board as well. Maybe winning with SW would have been more likely but definitely not a certainty. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

True. But the same coaches that were calling for the whirlybird would've been coaching SW as well. Also, Clemson could probably point at some of their missed plays and claim they left more points on the board as well. Maybe winning with SW would have been more likely but definitely not a certainty. 

Maybe I should've said "more likely" as opposed to "win going away", but IMO, we would have won going away...even with the bad play calling.

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thank you, I will.

BTW, saying LSU doesn't have a good D shows a little something about your evaluations. They have at least 6 and possibly 8 that will play on Sundays. 

Also, all the scoring we did in the RZ against LaMo was because of sean Not the OL that blew holes in the D, yet all the scoring we missed against the others was because of Sean, not the OL failing to blow holes through the D....especially since most of our scores came through the air. Brilliant analysis and conclusions.

See below

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree. Jeff is right that we have no way of knowing that, but I do *think* it, also. I still think that Gus's lack of faith in his players is the only thing standing between us and 5-0. He seems to have gotten over that, and it bodes well for the rest of our season. 

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Also, all the scoring we did in the RZ against LaMo was because of sean Not the OL that blew holes in the D, yet all the scoring we missed against the others was because of Sean, not the OL failing to blow holes through the D....especially since most of our scores came through the air. Brilliant

I think we scored twice in the RZ while Sean was in the game? How many arguments are you distorting to come up with this "brilliant" conclusion?

I think we can all agree, based on common sense, rational deductive reasoning skills and moderate football IQ that the, as Bird referred to it, "whirley-bird" strategy was a major blunder. And I think we can all agree that sticking with one guy would have been the more reasonable and, most likely, more productive thing to do. Yeah, I know Spurrier did his rotate every play deal once upon a time, but the numbers are clearly in favor of having consistency at the QB position.

And it would seem that if we had kept the QB consistent against Clemson, with maybe a strategic substitution of JFIII in places, we would have won the game. 

6 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

And it would seem that if we had kept the QB consistent against Clemson, with maybe a strategic substitution of JFIII in places, we would have won the game

Maybe so. We have yet to score 19 points against power 5 teams though. Don't see why everybody is so confident that we would have then.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

ok, since you insist on referencing the ULM game still for some reason. Look at the play where we had 1st and goal from the 1. We snap the ball 2 yards deep in the backfield, their DE comes around the corner unblocked, and is at the point of the handoff to KJ as soon as he gets the ball, and I believe we lost a yard on the play. My point on this is not that it was Sean or the O lines' fault. We do not need to be in shotgun formation inside the 5 yard line. All that accomplishes is to give the opposing D-line an extra second or two to fill in the gaps, or come around the end to disrupt the play. (Happened several times the past few games.) The QB should be under center inside the 5 yard line, since everyone in the stadium, including the opposing team's D-coordinator knows we are going to run the ball. This will take away that extra second it takes to snap the ball back 2-3 yards and the extra time it takes for the RB to get back to the line of scrimmage. Under center he would already be coming with momentum to the LOS, and the D-line would less time to plug the holes and get momentum into the line. Also, IMO, the best play to run anytime inside the 1 yard line is QB sneak, it rarely ever gets stopped for less than a yard.

As for your sarcasm, bring it, I don't know you and don't agree with you on most of your points, and don't believe you are any more knowledgeable than I am. No offense though, we are all brothers in God's eyes.

19 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

SW is QB 1. My prediction is that JF3 will become qb1 before season is out. Not saying I was told this info this is strictly my prediction. I don't feel some on here recognize what a weapon JF3 is at qb. 

SW has been solid but mostly against the inferior opponents let's see how he does the next 3 games. Like I have said he has impressed me and I have underestimated him up to this point other than his redzone problems. 

And you could say the same thing about JF. 

7 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

And you could say the same thing about JF. 

Well yeah, as expected. 

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe so. We have yet to score 19 points against power 5 teams though. Don't see why everybody is so confident that we would have then.

Can't speak for anyone else, nor would I want to do so, but I take it from the "feel" of the game. Yes, I know this is hardly scientific or objective; but, after the first few O series where we bungled it, we did show some ability to move the ball. What was frustrating is when we would make 2 or 3 good plays in a row, building some rhythm and temp, we would suddenly make a QB substitution and usually fall flat. 

If we had kept consistency at the QB position, we may have scored more than 19 against a Power 5 team. Again, I think our chances would have been greatly improved going that route, instead of the tricephalic, Chimera-weak QB rotation we attempted.

Archived