new john franklin article

aubiefifty

Auburn quarterback John Franklin III open to playing other roles on offense

John Franklin III ULM 2.JPG
Auburn quarterback John Franklin III (5) runs the ball for an 80-yard touchdown against ULM during the second half Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) (JULIE BENNETT)

Auburn at Mississippi St.

John Franklin III came to Auburn with one goal in mind: winning the team's starting quarterback job. With that not shaking out as planned through the first five games, the JUCO transfer has a new goal in mind: doing whatever he can to help the Tigers win games.

Yes, even if it means getting reps at a position other than quarterback.

"I'm honestly down to do whatever helps out our team, to be honest," Franklin said Saturday following Auburn's 58-7 win against ULM. "Whatever I can do to contribute to this team winning, that's what I want to do."

During Saturday's win against ULM, that included coming off the bench in mop-up duty during the third quarter of Auburn's blowout win. Franklin made the most of his opportunity, completing his only pass attempt for a 39-yard touchdown and also accounting for an 80-yard touchdown run while guiding the offense to 239 total yards on his three drives.

Franklin has admittedly become more comfortable since being named the team's No. 2 quarterback behind Sean White. It has provided him the opportunity to better learn the entire offense and not just specific packages and get ample reps during the week.

Franklin makes most of opportunity against ULM

Franklin makes most of opportunity against ULM

Franklin scored the first two touchdowns of his career and helped Auburn gain 246 yards while in the game.

Although Franklin excelled in his backup role against ULM, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said the team would like to avoid a more common two-quarterback system. Still, the Tigers would like to find a way to get Franklin a little more involved on gamedays given his big-play capability, elusiveness and unrelenting speed.

"That's stuff we'll continue to look at," Lashlee said. "I feel like he's getting better each week. That's the challenge: You don't want to disrupt the rhythm of your offense and get into a quarterback shuffle, and we're not going to do that. But John is an explosive player for us. We'll just kind of take that week to week and see what we think we can do there."

John Franklin III ULM touchdown.JPGAuburn quarterback John Franklin III (5) bows after scoring an 80-yard touchdown against ULM during the second half Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) 

Franklin said the coaching staff has not discussed with him the possibility of getting reps at another position, or the possibility of being utilized on a jet sweep — at least not yet. It's something Lashlee said "could be" in the cards for the 6-foot-1, 186-pound former ACC champion sprinter.

No matter what it is, Franklin is open to the discussion — so long as it helps Auburn in the win column.

"Whatever helps us win the game, that's my No. 1 goal," Franklin said. "I love winning; everybody loves winning. If that means I play one snap and we still win, then good. Like last week, we won. I don't care. If that means I play the whole game and we win, then good. I played the whole game and I won.

"At the end of the day, I want a W. It's a good feeling after a win instead of a loss. That's the only thing that matters to me."

i think the boy is growing up...............

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When he was signed, I thought the intention was to give him a shot at QB, and then find another use for his speed if he could not win the job.  I have since started thinking that the coaches really wanted him to win the job, and may even be holding on to hope that he will.  That said, it is clear that they do not have much faith in his passing ability.  It seems pointless to me for him to be a situational/wildcat QB, and sit on the bench more often than not.  He has "playmaker" written all over him.  His presence on the field WITH Sean White would probably be more effective for the offense as a whole than rotating him in for the obvious rushes.

Can't help but feel the three QB race lasted way too long.  Given more reps, we could have had a very effective two-QB system and, quite possibly be undefeated.

I think it is the fundamental breakdown that created the "fire Gus" narrative.  Still, as long as Gus knows it, I think he should get a pass.

I would like to see him on the field more often.  His one pass the other day to NCM was a thing of beauty.  Of course, he cold not have been any more wide open but at least JF3 put it on the money.  I think Sean is now secure enough as the starter that if JF3 came in for a few series a game just to shake things up it wouldn't create any type of controversy.  

I don't know why he isn't being used on jet sweeps, punt and kickoff returns unless he has fumble issues, with his speed he might take it to the house.But I like him as the back up QB you never know when SW could get injured and it will be on him,I'm feeling a lot better about the QB situation.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I don't know why he isn't being used on jet sweeps, punt and kickoff returns unless he has fumble issues, with his speed he might take it to the house.But I like him as the back up QB you never know when SW could get injured and it will be on him,I'm feeling a lot better about the QB situation.

I think you answered your own question. 

I agree on making the QB race go as long as it did hindered the offense from get out of the gate quickly.  That has been a staple with Malzahn and might be a reason why we have to go a few games to know what we have.  I never quite understood that line of thinking, other than I know some play better on gameday.

At this point, even if they feel more confident in the throwing ability of JF3, SW has been consistent with what the coaches are asking him to do other than maybe the deep passing game.  He has a had a high completion percentage, made good decisions, and for the most part protected the ball.  I do think they have delayed moving Franklin to other spots for 2 reasons.  1. To continue to give him reps learning the offense from a QB standpoint.  2. To make sure they knew what they had in SW.  SW has fulfilled his end of the bargain so far, and that now allows the coaches to start looking at getting JF3 on the field in another capacity. This is all JMO from my perspective of course, as I don't know what the coaches are actually saying or thinking.

I like John a lot. I see no reason to start him over Sean though 

the thing that scares me is if we put jf3 into a skill position and then he gets hurt. At that point, I'd be afraid of how much Gus/Rhett are going to hold Sean and the offense back, being afraid of SW getting hurt too. 

I would love to see him use that speed against an sec team. no ones catching that kid 

SW leads the SEC in completion % for QBs over 100 attempts. JF3 is a dynamic, explosive DTQB who looks better and better every time he gets in the game. It's a nice problem to have.

Throw one decent bubble screen to him and you can probably get 3 more successful plays where he's simply a decoy on the outside.

Maybe it was the level of competition but in the Ark State game and this ULM game, when he carried the ball I'm not sure I've seen someone as fast as him on a football field. Can't speak to pre-Bowden days since I only can go off of highlights, but this kid is crazy fast.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Maybe it was the level of competition but in the Ark State game and this ULM game, when he carried the ball I'm not sure I've seen someone as fast as him on a football field. Can't speak to pre-Bowden days since I only can go off of highlights, but this kid is crazy fast.

Yeah, maybe Tim Carter.  Would love to watch him return kick-offs.

Heck, I just want to run him out on the field to freak the defense out.  After watching him do what he did last week, you know that putting him on the field on offense is going to make everyone on D just a little edgy. 

A good coach gets his best player(s) in the game.  Receiver, HB, whatever, the kid should be in, if only to keep the D off balance.

I think JFIII is best served as the QB and not any other position. I think SW will be the starter unless he gets hurt or just tanks it but I think JF is best effective as the QB. We already have enough speedy receivers/rb who can get the job done on the jet sweep. I just don't get the narrative he couldn't win out the starting job against SW cause he's not a great passer. I haven't seen him throw it enough to determine that. I feel it's just what the coaches stated in that he didn't have a grasp of the offense to become the starter. His stats throwing the ball are 6 of 10. That's not enough sample size to say if he is or isn't a good passer. He hasn't turned the ball over when asked to throw. I'm not calling for him to be the starter but it's obvious we need more packages for him running and throwing.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

You don't want to disrupt the rhythm of your offense and get into a quarterback shuffle, and we're not going to do that.

Hmm. Wish they would have had that philosophy before game numero uno. 

3 hours ago, Charhair said:

I like John a lot. I see no reason to start him over Sean though 

the thing that scares me is if we put jf3 into a skill position and then he gets hurt. At that point, I'd be afraid of how much Gus/Rhett are going to hold Sean and the offense back, being afraid of SW getting hurt too. 

I would love to see him use that speed against an sec team. no ones catching that kid 

Im guessing this is why we arent seeing him at other positions during the game yet. Coaches do not feel comfortable with any other QBs if they were forced into play. I imagine there will come a time this season when we will use him though.

You guys know I have been a SW advocate for 2 years now, but this kid is unreal fast. I am afraid we might have Rocket Ismail sitting on the bench. I would like to see the young man get maybe one series per quarter, depending on the flow of the game. Sean has done, and is doing a great job, but this kid is a real weapon.

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

You guys know I have been a SW advocate for 2 years now, but this kid is unreal fast. I am afraid we might have Rocket Ismail sitting on the bench. I would like to see the young man get maybe one series per quarter, depending on the flow of the game. Sean has done, and is doing a great job, but this kid is a real weapon.

Could use him as a sweep RB, or receiver, if he's got the hands. Put him in a wheel route out of the backfield. He could outrun just about any DB in the country.

14 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Could use him as a sweep RB, or receiver, if he's got the hands. Put him in a wheel route out of the backfield. He could outrun just about any DB in the country.

5 minutes ago, far_away_fan said:

Personally, with the TD pass that JFIII did throw, will make defenses not concentrate only on him as a runner. Especially knowing he can throw on point. That was a beauty

Put him in as a speed-back with Sean at QB and watch the defense have fits. 

1 hour ago, far_away_fan said:

Personally, with the TD pass that JFIII did throw, will make defenses not concentrate only on him as a runner. Especially knowing he can throw on point. That was a beauty

The fear is that, if you let him keep throwing, that will prove to be far less common than it looked when he hit it on his first big pass. Let's face it... he's not #2 because they don't like him as a person.  There is a deficiency in his game that negates his weapons enough that they feel safer starting Sean.  Considering what he just showed the world, that has to be one heck of a deficiency. 

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The fear is that, if you let him keep throwing, that will prove to be far less common than it looked when he hit it on his first big pass. Let's face it... he's not #2 because they don't like him as a person.  There is a deficiency in his game that negates his weapons enough that they feel safer starting Sean.  Considering what he just showed the world, that has to be one heck of a deficiency. 

Bingo!  JFIII obviously has prodigious athletic talent/speed to burn, but the slower, less athletically gifted Sean White is the QB that was put in at the end of the Clemson game when we had a shot (two actually thanks to the way the team went down the field with SW at QB and got close enough for two throws into the end zone) at winning. And in that tight, hard fought home win against LSU, IIRC the only time JFIII was in the game was when SW had to come out for a play after losing his helmet.

If the coaches thought that we could just replicate what we had at the end of 2013 with Nick Marshall and that O-line plus Tre Mason, line up and run the zone read and dare the other team to stop us knowing that no one could really stop that machine by putting JFIII in at QB then I think that's exactly what they'd do. But they know that kind of attack is now fairly common in college football (as other teams try and do what we did in '13) and that defenses have adjusted. (See "forget trying to figure out where the play is going and just crash the mesh point so that it never gets started."  Reminds me of the end of the days of the wishbone in some ways. "Just hit the QB and hit him hard no matter what, and if you can't hit him, it's OK, we have enough speed to run the option down from behind now.")

We're working on a more balanced attack, and with coach Herb Hand and his "coordinator's mind" helping coach Rhett Lashlee, I think Sean White's passing ability and accuracy (both of which are also prodigious, naysayers be darned) is essential to making that balance happen. The reason JFIII isn't starting is because SW gives our Tigers the overall better chance of winning.  If we could find some Frankenstein way of melding SW's comfort in the offense, awareness in the pocket and passing ability with JFIII's ability to play the Road Runner to other teams Wile E. Coyote, well...Nick $aban would probably try to get the NCAA to pass a rule to keep that monster off of the field. :big:

Wait, so you mean to tell me he is actually a good teammate and willing to do whatever to get the W? 

Archived