Favorite obscure Auburn Players

GwillMac6

Without telling the long story, because I have told it on here a couple of times before; Karekin Cunningham is my answer. When I was a kid, he threw the football with me on the field after seeing Kevin Green be a jerk to me. Cunningham was a class act and gave everything he had out there for us.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, TheMayorOfChillville said:

Without telling the long story, because I have told it on here a couple of times before; Karekin Cunningham is my answer. When I was a kid, he threw the football with me on the field after seeing Kevin Green be a jerk to me. Cunningham was a class act and gave everything he had out there for us.

He's also one of the craziest (in a good way) guys to have ever donned an AU jersey. Some of his exploits are legendary. 

On 10/1/2016 at 6:48 PM, CleCoTiger said:

Sports writer: "Coach Tuberville, it seems like every time Tristan Davis touched the ball at tailback he makes big yards or is off to the races and scores. Why isn't he playing tailback full time?"

Coach Tubs: "Well, he has pretty stiff hips and doesn't really move that well ya see..."

Ah, that great evaluator of offensive talent, Coach Tubs.  I still enjoy watching the "tight end" play QB in San Diego. 

How about a 165 pound walk-on tight end from Opelika, that built himself up into a 240 pound starting linebacker, Danny Skutak. Had 18 tackles in a game, filling in for "Fast Freddie" against NC State. 

Anybody remember who the starting QB was in ´84, my 2nd year at Auburn? :dunno:

Answer: I believe that Pat Washington started for most of that season, but the starter in the Kickoff Classic against Miami was the one and only Mike Mann, who was quickly pulled after a couple of series. Does anybody remember if he saw any more playing time that year?

I just happened to stumble across the game on YT the other day. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLMGjOKFaU

8 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Answer: I believe that Pat Washington started for most of that season, but the starter in the Kickoff Classic against Miami was the one and only Mike Mann, who was quickly pulled after a couple of series. Does anybody remember if he saw any more playing time that year?

As I recall PW got hurt and Mann started a couple games.

I know one was Ga Tech and maybe UTk was the other...

30 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Was at the game that was Jimmy Johnson first game as coach for Miami if I remember correctly. Awful game for AU 

22 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

As I recall PW got hurt and Mann started a couple games.

I know one was Ga Tech and maybe UTk was the other...

You may be correct but I don't remember Pat being hurt for the first game

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Was at the game that was Jimmy Johnson first game as coach for Miami if I remember correctly. Awful game for AU 

Yes, it was awful. I vividly remembering watching the game on TV. I was sick. It´s still painful to watch but nostalgic too. It was doubly awful because Bo went down and was out for most of that year. Miami was loaded with talent, led by Bernie Kosar, and our old wishbone / three yards and a cloud of dust offense just couldn´t keep up with their pro-style offense.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You may be correct but I don't remember Pat being hurt for the first game

No, he wasn't hurt for the first game, correct.  But I think he got hurt and missed one or two games mid-season.  I'm pretty sure one was the GT game but can't be certain about the other.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

It was. And it was treated as a proxy for some to justify what I still think is the robbery AU suffered after the close of the '83 season when AU won the Sugar Bowl against Michigan in a low scoring 9-7 game and Miami, because of a last second thriller upset of Nebraska in the Orange Bowl catapulted from fifth to first. The loss to Miami dropped the Huskers to second and left the only team in the top three to actually win its bowl game, our AU Tigers, sitting right where they started.   That was the day I learned to hate opinion polls and started wishing for a playoff.

Anyway, I believe to this day that if that Kickoff Classic game against Miami to begin the 84 season had seen Pat Washington healthy or with Randy Campbell (the QB of the 83 team) still pulling the trigger on the wishbone, our Tigers would have won that game.

It was still a close game. A Miami team with Bernie Kosar at QB and a heckuva running back named Alonzo Highsmith squeaked by late on the strength of a couple of field goals in the second half.

Miami was running and passing up and down the field early but they weren't scoring a lot of points. The AU defense is what kept our Tigers in that game. They stopped Miami deep more than once as I recall. 

Late first half saw the AU defense recover a Highsmith fumble and the offense turned it into a Robert McGinty** field goal.

Next series the AU defense scored a safety for us after getting the Miami punter in the end zone. Tackled him. Our Tiigers went from down 14-10 to up 15-10 just like that. Thank you AU defense!

One AU field goal in the second half. Two field goals for the Canes. For the AU defense to hold down that Miami offense like they did that day and give our Tigers even a chance....well....valiant effort in a losing cause. They played their guts out. 

Calmly I must say that I HATED THAT GAME.  

(Oops...sorry. I have regained control of my caps key.)

**I nominate Robert McGinty for obscure player status. He ought to be a trivia question for the young folks. When he first left AU, I felt kind of bad for him After that game against Florida in 86, I felt kind of bad for us. ;)

On October 3, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Yes I do. From Lake Wales FL. I worked in, and around Lake Wales from 2004- 2007, and met some of his cousins.

On October 3, 2016 at 2:21 PM, creed said:

Harry Mose. He was in line to be one of Auburn many great running backs. If my memory serves correctly, and others may have details, he sustained a career ending neck injury and never played again. Harry was @ 5'10" and 220lbs but was quick, with lot's of wiggle. He reminded me of a Brent Full wood type back. Anyone else remember Harry?

I remember Harry. Scored the lone TD in Auburn's 10-0 victory over Alabama in 1987. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hJK1TKFvNtw

On October 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Oh my lord. I was at that game. He knocked his running lights out.

On October 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM, CleCoTiger said:

OMG!!!  What a lick! Man....

Carlo Cheattom just dropped Reggie Cobb like a sack of potatoes with that hit.  Love it!

Although not as vicious as Carlo's hit, another lick I remember from that season was Smokey Hodge's hit on Tim Worley. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXEV12piQM

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

It was. And it was treated as a proxy for some to justify what I still think is the robbery AU suffered after the close of the '83 season when AU won the Sugar Bowl against Michigan in a low scoring 9-7 game and Miami, because of a last second thriller upset of Nebraska in the Orange Bowl catapulted from fifth to first. The loss to Miami dropped the Huskers to second and left the only team in the top three to actually win its bowl game, our AU Tigers, sitting right where they started.   That was the day I learned to hate opinion polls and started wishing for a playoff.

Anyway, I believe to this day that if that Kickoff Classic game against Miami to begin the 84 season had seen Pat Washington healthy or with Randy Campbell (the QB of the 83 team) still pulling the trigger on the wishbone, our Tigers would have won that game.

It was still a close game. A Miami team with Bernie Kosar at QB and a heckuva running back named Alonzo Highsmith squeaked by late on the strength of a couple of field goals in the second half.

Miami was running and passing up and down the field early but they weren't scoring a lot of points. The AU defense is what kept our Tigers in that game. They stopped Miami deep more than once as I recall. 

Late first half saw the AU defense recover a Highsmith fumble and the offense turned it into a Robert McGinty** field goal.

Next series the AU defense scored a safety for us after getting the Miami punter in the end zone. Tackled him. Our Tiigers went from down 14-10 to up 15-10 just like that. Thank you AU defense!

One AU field goal in the second half. Two field goals for the Canes. For the AU defense to hold down that Miami offense like they did that day and give our Tigers even a chance....well....valiant effort in a losing cause. They played their guts out. 

Calmly I must say that I HATED THAT GAME.  

(Oops...sorry. I have regained control of my caps key.)

**I nominate Robert McGinty for obscure player status. He ought to be a trivia question for the young folks. When he first left AU, I felt kind of bad for him After that game against Florida in 86, I felt kind of bad for us. ;)

McGinty is a perfect choice, he won't get confused with the Wes Byrums or Cody Parkeys for sure. 

On October 5, 2016 at 1:15 PM, imaolgatiger said:

Lee Mark Sellers! He was a good dude and could play. 

Lee Mark was one of the funniest guys around.

One day Lee Mark ran a particularly fast forty and the coaches were all impressed.

Being from the ATL, Lee Mark looks at them and says, "If you think that was fast, you should see me with a TV on my shoulder!"

Everybody rolled! Coaches just shook their head. 

Funny guy!

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Tyler Stovall

He was ready to throw down today! I love that fire. Protecting one of our biggest assets!

Archived