Favorite obscure Auburn Players

GwillMac6

42 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Are you sure about that doc I remember Peter Putfart

I think the full name is Horace Peter Putfark. He was a huge guy standing 6' 7" and came in around 285 lbs.  He played DE and had 4:55 forty. He was heck of a player back in the day.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I may be wrong about this but didn't Auburn have a WR in the 70's by the name of Jeff Gilligan?

Yeah Jeff played in 74/75 a good little WR

Ok there was a kid outta Florida I'm thinking, I think Terry signed him. He talked a lot of smack coming in and said something about being "all world". I think he got his tail handed to him one night in the football dorm. Quit or got kicked off the team. I been trying to think of his name all day. Anyone??

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Ok there was a kid outta Florida I'm thinking, I think Terry signed him. He talked a lot of smack coming in and said something about being "all world". I think he got his tail handed to him one night in the football dorm. Quit or got kicked off the team. I been trying to think of his name all day. Anyone??

Oh yeah...receiver...hang on...man, I ain't gonna be able to sleep until the answer to this one pops back into my head.  IIRC this is the it wasn't that he had his arse handed to him in the dorm, it was on the practice field as some of the upperclassmen basically introduced themselves and said "This ain't high school, welcome to the SEC"...but without using words.  ;)

On 10/2/2016 at 0:19 AM, CleCoTiger said:

"Both Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown are out for the Iron Bowl against bammer in Tuscaloosa. Auburn has no chance." - Every sportswriter in the state of Alabama, and a lot of AU fans as well.

Tre Smith will always be one of my favorites because of this game... He went clean the F&%k off on uat.

How about Lectron Williams? I always thought we underutilized him.

Bobby Strickland, a truly great linebacker circa 1970 from Bayou La Batre. He walked on at Auburn as a QB, Coach Jordan recognized him as a great athlete while he was QB of the scout team, moved him to LB and he busted a  bunch of chops for the next three years. One of the surest, yet roughest tacklers I've seen at AU.

1 minute ago, Timbeaux38 said:

How about Lectron Williams? I always thought we underutilized him.

Him blowing out a knee probably had something to do with not being used much.

Kodi Burns for me, IMO. Came in as a highly-regarded athlete, and we underutilized him, but at the end he caught his only TD in the national championship game and personified the Spirit of an Auburn Man. 

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Kodi Burns for me, IMO. Came in as a highly-regarded athlete, and we underutilized him, but at the end he caught his only TD in the national championship game and personified the Spirit of an Auburn Man. 

But how is he obscure? Heck, everyone knows him, the opposite of obscure. 

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

But how is he obscure? Heck, everyone knows him, the opposite of obscure. 

For me it's more of what he could have been instead of knowing him. 

On 10/2/2016 at 10:41 AM, cole256 said:

Tavarous pounds and a safety that transferred and went to una. His Nick name was whip, but I think his first name was Stanford. 

I see him about once or twice a month, he is a customer of mine at my vape shop,lol.  Ace Atkins is my obscure favorite.

10 minutes ago, WDE Matty said:

This ^^

and Rudi Johnson from 2001

Ha, Rudy led the league in rushing and had a very good NFL career. How is he obscure?

Maybe I'm missing something now. We just naming our favorite players from years past? :)

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Ha, Rudy led the league in rushing and had a very good NFL career. How is he obscure?

Maybe I'm missing something now. We just naming our favorite players from years past? :)

Joseph Sullivan, Edward Jackson & Jerrell Newton.

Those names are fairly obscure.... ;) 

33 minutes ago, bojisthama said:

I see him about once or twice a month, he is a customer of mine at my vape shop,lol.  Ace Atkins is my obscure favorite.

Atkins is a well-regarded author now, interestingly enough. Great picture of him celebrating standing over Weurffel in that '93 game.

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

Also back to obscurity: Brandon Johnson; the fullback that was one of the main reasons Ronnie and Caddy were so successful

GREAT call. Man, that dude was scary looking. 

I was a big fan of Tommy Jackson. Bret Eddins's sack on Marcus Randall in '04 was an all-timer. Quan Bray will probably be a bit obscure after a few years. Not sure if Scott Etheridge qualifies as "obscure" or not. James Bostic gets lost in the shuffle when discussing Auburn RBs, it seems. Craig Sanders is a special teams honorable mention on my all-time Auburn roster. One of my favorite players ever. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

GREAT call. Man, that dude was scary looking. 

I was a big fan of Tommy Jackson. Bret Eddins's sack on Marcus Randall in '04 was an all-timer. Quan Bray will probably be a bit obscure after a few years. Not sure if Scott Etheridge qualifies as "obscure" or not. James Bostic gets lost in the shuffle when discussing Auburn RBs, it seems. Craig Sanders is a special teams honorable mention on my all-time Auburn roster. One of my favorite players ever. 

Oh yeah Johnson definitely looked/looks like a bar fight master lol

Tommy Jackson is a good one, also Eddin's sack was an iconic moment for that 2004 season. And Sanders definitely excelled on special teams, made some big plays for us keeping teams inside their own 20!

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Leave the state of Alabama, take a poll and see how many people know Junior Rosegreen. If it wasn't for Reggie Brown hardly anyone would care about Junior Rosegreen beside the AU faithful.

13 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Oh yeah...receiver...hang on...man, I ain't gonna be able to sleep until the answer to this one pops back into my head.  IIRC this is the it wasn't that he had his arse handed to him in the dorm, it was on the practice field as some of the upperclassmen basically introduced themselves and said "This ain't high school, welcome to the SEC"...but without using words.  ;)

I'm thinking he was a Quarterback, and his name was Deron Furr.

17 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I may be wrong about this but didn't Auburn have a WR in the 70's by the name of Jeff Gilligan?

Yes we did, and his papa was actually the Gilligan on the sitcom show.

Archived