Favorite obscure Auburn Players

GwillMac6

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hicks Poor

I remember the first time I heard his name, and just about fell out of my captains chair. I think that this was about as good of a name that his parents could have ever given him. 

Most have forgotten Horace Putfark

27 minutes ago, tigermac said:

Markeith Cooper

Ah, the lizard. I'll never forget us lining that five-and-a-half-foot dude up at running back. 

4 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Oh yeah. I was at that UF game. That was a tough one to swallow. As I recall they beat us again in 85. Was also at the UT game in Knoxville in 85 where Pat Dye started a freshman QB, and they smoked us.

That '85 UF games was one of the most physical games I've ever witnessed. Particularly painful to watch us lose after being there three hours before kickoff because I was so fired up to get a seat and see that game, lol. I remember being impressed with a young DT named Tracy Rocker putting a beat down on Kerwin Bell the UF QB. I think UF may have had a few good players- John L. Williams,Neal Anderson, Ricky Nattiel on offense to name a few. Almost got in a fisticuffs with about a sixty female UF fan after the game because of the trash she was spouting off about Bo.

9 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Ah, the lizard. I'll never forget us lining that five-and-a-half-foot dude up at running back. 

That was one of Bowden's downfalls (IMO) was his seeming desire to turn Auburn into "the University of North Florida State"...  He watched Diddie Bowden do it with the Warrick Dunns of the world and decided that's what he wanted.

He started off his recruiting fine with guys like Stephen Davis and Fred Beasley but then the latter part of his tenure was loaded with "obscure" running backs.  His time ending with such "bulldozers" as Markeith Cooper, Rusty Williams & Demontray Carter (Cooper & Williams moving to WR by then)...  When Tubs took over in '99, the best "running back" that Auburn has was Fullback, Heath Evans.

33 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That was one of Bowden's downfalls (IMO) was his seeming desire to turn Auburn into "the University of North Florida State"...  He watched Diddie Bowden do it with the Warrick Dunns of the world and decided that's what he wanted.

He started off his recruiting fine with guys like Stephen Davis and Fred Beasley but then the latter part of his tenure was loaded with "obscure" running backs.  His time ending with such "bulldozers" as Markeith Cooper, Rusty Williams & Demontray Carter (Cooper & Williams moving to WR by then)...  When Tubs took over in '99, the best "running back" that Auburn has was Fullback, Heath Evans.

To Tommy's credit, we would have gone bowling in '99 even without the benefit of a running game had Ben Leard not gotten hurt and left us with poor overwhelmed Jeff Klein starting at QB. Then Rudi came in next year and we had our balance back.

7 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

To Tommy's credit, we would have gone bowling in '99 even without the benefit of a running game had Ben Leard not gotten hurt and left us with poor overwhelmed Jeff Klein starting at QB. Then Rudi came in next year and we had our balance back.

100% agree!  Tubs was a great coach at AU, especially in the 1st half of his tenure.  I feel like, if he had let Borges run his offense his way (with his coaches) then Tubs tenure would have had more success in the later years and who knows...he might still be HC today.  I'm a big fan of Tubs.  Just wish it didn't have to go down hill...

Sonny Ferguson, walk-on LB who gave everything he had.  He made one of the most amazing returns of an interception he made against UF that you will ever see.  And he was a really good guy!

12 minutes ago, im4aual said:

Dennis Collier, Wallace Clark, Mickey Zofko, Alvin Bressler, Chris Linderman, Mitzi Jackson, Walter Tate

Alvin Bresler was my HS coach. Great guy. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:50 PM, AUGoo said:

Two pages.

Really?!?

Two whole pages and no one brought up the most incredible, under utilized, secret weapon in AU history?!?

Seriously?

Herbert "The Weapon" Casey.

also Rusty "2 yards and a cloud of dust" Williams

Some names from random years. Some had high expectations, some had a moment in the sun. Enjoy. :)

Frank McIntosh

Meiko Collier

Prechae Rodriguez

Eddie Blake

Tellie Embery

Harry Adams

Pedro Cherry

Michael Burks

Eric Hines-Tucker

Tim Hawthorne

Victor Horn

Joe Frazier

Casinious Moore

DeAndre Green

On 10/1/2016 at 9:41 PM, tigermac said:

Antwoine Nolan and Brad Ware were two of my favorite players

came here to write this! I remember as a young kid thinking how cool Nolan's hair was haha

Not obscure but I must give him a shout out since he never gets mentioned anywhere -- Karsten Bailey! I bought his jersey and to this day is the only AU jersey I own. ORANGE SHADED NUMBERS FTW!

Also back to obscurity: Brandon Johnson; the fullback that was one of the main reasons Ronnie and Caddy were so successful

Cassinius Moore looked to be a promising RB for us.

Also, this guy wasn't obscure at the time but doesn't get much credit in hindsight -- Mark Brown the LB that played alongside Dansby and Dontarrious Thomas. Now THAT was a power trio of LBers.

Harry Mose. He was in line to be one of Auburn many great running backs. If my memory serves correctly, and others may have details, he sustained a career ending neck injury and never played again. Harry was @ 5'10" and 220lbs but was quick, with lot's of wiggle. He reminded me of a Brent Full wood type back. Anyone else remember Harry?

Carlos Cheatam. Probably made the nastiest tackle I've ever witnessed. I believe the running back was Reggie Cobb of Tennessee. Per today's rules he would have been locked up in prison for that hit...:-)

Ace Atkins Auburn football player and bestselling author.

1 hour ago, creed said:

Harry Mose. He was in line to be one of Auburn many great running backs. If my memory serves correctly, and others may have details, he sustained a career ending neck injury and never played again. Harry was @ 5'10" and 220lbs but was quick, with lot's of wiggle. He reminded me of a Brent Full wood type back. Anyone else remember Harry?

Yes I do. From Lake Wales FL. I worked in, and around Lake Wales from 2004- 2007, and met some of his cousins.

16 minutes ago, creed said:

Carlos Cheatam. Probably made the nastiest tackle I've ever witnessed. I believe the running back was Reggie Cobb of Tennessee. Per today's rules he would have been locked up in prison for that hit...:-)

Oh my lord. I was at that game. He knocked his running lights out.

No one remembers Horace Putfark.  He was an awesome run blocker.

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Oh my lord. I was at that game. He knocked his running lights out.

One of the few really good players to come out of Sheffield, Al. I was the game and can still hear the lick

Archived