Favorite obscure Auburn Players

GwillMac6

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i am thinking of two kids and cannot remember eithers name. both played for dye. one was a short fat black kid dye called the bowling ball and he got to play some because of injuries and he was almost unstoppable. the other kid was a white kid who started the ironbowl due to injuries and he played lights out and we win the game. sorry boys my memory has gone south in old age..........

I think the first you first to was Ron O'Neal on Dye's first team. Second.......?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tavarous pounds and a safety that transferred and went to una. His Nick name was whip, but I think his first name was Stanford. 

CJ Uzomah. Met him and had a few conversations. Great man and criminally under used. When an NFL team wants you abs you were used as little as possible, then you know you're good. 

Not necessarily obscure, but Chip Powell came a long way from walking on to defensive team captain. 

Alan Evans was a tremendous high school back down in Enterprise. He got banged up pretty good his senior year,  in a battle for the ages against Prattville, on Halloween night. 

That Prattville defense was led by Chip Powell. 

Just reviewing some previous posts here:

Jimmy Brumbaugh was an 2 time All-SEC selection. Not obscure. 

Jason Miska- Led SEC in tackles. Not obscure. 

Any current or former NFL player (looking at you CJ and Bynes). Not obscure. 

I don't even consider Alan Evans as obscure since almost everyone knows his story.

Love the Silas Daniels, Josh Thompson, and Teapot Brown shout outs. 

3 hours ago, War Knight said:

CJ Uzomah. Met him and had a few conversations. Great man and criminally under used. When an NFL team wants you abs you were used as little as possible, then you know you're good. 

had like 5 catches thursday night for the bengals. maybe my second biggest complaint about gus is his obvious hatred for the TE position.......... even when he has had a really good one!!!

James Callier. DE/LB from late 90's was on track to be really good player but injuries held him back. One of the nicest guys I've ever met.

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

had like 5 catches thursday night for the bengals. maybe my second biggest complaint about gus is his obvious hatred for the TE position.......... even when he has had a really good one!!!

Agreed.

I used to love Eltoro Freeman as well. Even before he was starting kid played with heart.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Tavarous pounds and a safety that transferred and went to una. His Nick name was whip, but I think his first name was Stanford.

Stanford Simmons. Huge recruit, just as huge a disappointment after the recruiting was over. Trouble getting in school, finally did get in school, then I do believe he made one important stop against somebody before returning to the bench/doghouse and then moving on.

17 hours ago, fredst said:

Bo, Fullwood , Tim Jesse, and Collision Campbell were all studs that could have been starters anywhere. There's a reason Alan Evans  (multiple reasons actually) never did ? at Auburn.

Wow! Can't believe I forgot about Tim Jessie. What an embarrassment of riches on that team. That is a decade of great tailbacks if you could spread them out.

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Wow! Can't believe I forgot about Tim Jessie. What an embarrassment of riches on that team. That is a decade of great tailbacks if you could spread them out.

He, with Collis Campbell, Reggie Ware, Kyle Collins, and a couple others as "back-up by committee" to Brent Fullwood once Bo went down in the UTx game didn't miss a beat in '84.  The '84 Tigers might be the most obscure TEAM as they lost the first 2 games of the year with Bo, and fell off the national radar.

However, without Bo, they promptly won all 6 games, including W's over UTk, FSU & GT. Then in Bo's first game back they, oddly enough, played their worst game of the year in defeat to UF.  However they handled thUga fine and if it weren't for "wrong way Bo" they SHOULD have beaten uat.

So, that was 3-4 with Bo & 6-0 withOUT Bo.  This season, located squarely between the '83 Sugar Bowl season & the '85 Heisman season has always been overlooked in AU history as a truly GREAT season (considering the obstacles) ... In my opinion, of course.

Neil Caudle

Emory Blake - not sure if obscure but I really thought he was an underrated receiver

Shakespeare 

Chris Vacarella, he played emergency QB for Auburn as a true freshman in 1973 due to injuries and led us to a victory over Houston. He also played some WR and excelled at tailback.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

He, with Collis Campbell, Reggie Ware, Kyle Collins, and a couple others as "back-up by committee" to Brent Fullwood once Bo went down in the UTx game didn't miss a beat in '84.  The '84 Tigers might be the most obscure TEAM as they lost the first 2 games of the year with Bo, and fell off the national radar.

However, without Bo, they promptly won all 6 games, including W's over UTk, FSU & GT. Then in Bo's first game back they, oddly enough, played their worst game of the year in defeat to UF.  However they handled thUga fine and if it weren't for "wrong way Bo" they SHOULD have beaten uat.

So, that was 3-4 with Bo & 6-0 withOUT Bo.  This season, located squarely between the '83 Sugar Bowl season & the '85 Heisman season has always been overlooked in AU history as a truly GREAT season (considering the obstacles) ... In my opinion, of course.

Oh yeah. I was at that UF game. That was a tough one to swallow. As I recall they beat us again in 85. Was also at the UT game in Knoxville in 85 where Pat Dye started a freshman QB, and they smoked us.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I'm wracking my brain for an obscure player that I would actually consider obscure.  How about...Jason Miska?  Walk on that wound up starting at linebacker for three seasons including Tot's undefeated '93 team.

Jason Miska was the first person who came to my mind.

Archived