T J Neal

tigeraddikt

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

I don't think anyone really saw Deshaun Davis coming on this strong. 

All of our LBers have seemed to improve a lot under the new coaching staff

I know I didn't. He's my favorite player on the D this season though. What a turnaround. 

Overall, this coaching staff is superior than what we had in 2015. Gus did his homework and hired coaches that he thought would work together and get the most out of our players. This season took a bit of time to get off of the ground. Now it is soaring like an eagle no doubt.

I hope this staff will stay together for the long term. I do not see any weak link with our coaching staff from top to bottom. Let's enjoy the moment from week to week.

I had forgotten about this guy...that's how good this D has been I guess. This guy went from presumptive starter to barely seeing the field. Speaks volumes about our LB'er play IMO.  

5 hours ago, Charhair said:

When we signed him I liked him better than Williams. Then I thought he would break out last year. This year I had resigned to the fact he was next in a long line of misses. I am glad we got TWill. He needs a raise. 

36 minutes ago, alexava said:

When we signed him I liked him better than Williams. Then I thought he would break out last year. This year I had resigned to the fact he was next in a long line of misses. I am glad we got TWill. He needs a raise. 

No worries, JJ is gonna extend his contract and make a one sided buyout clause- its what we do.  :) 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

he would not of been considered a miss in my book since he was a 3 star.

7 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Twill happened. Our lb coaching this year is light years ahead of Lance Thompson and Co last year. Remember Steele is very good with lbs also. The guys that are playing in front of Neal are more physically gifted and better players that have been coached up.

How the heck did Twill do a better job than the more experienced Lance, Muschamp? :hellyeah: I say it in jest, because I'm glad it happened.

Maybe LT was giving the older guys too much credit?Or was the scheme really that much more complex?

Maybe TJ is one of the catalysts partially responsible for the improved LB play from the underclassmen.  Imagine how they must've felt when they found out that a graduate senior was being brought in to steal one of their positions.  That COULD be additional motivation to step up one's game.

That said, Deshawn Davis is a beast, has a helluva motor, field vision, and is an amazing on-field leader and cheerleader for the rest of the defense.  If I am not mistaken, the reason he was rated only a 3 star out of Vigor was because he sat his senior year with a leg injury (a decision his coach made that gave me high respect for him because he didn't want to do any potential harm to DD's college career in  lieu of better HS team results.....very selfless), and therefore didn't provide enough film or camp time to be evaluated to his fullest.  I think it was reported  during the recruiting cycle that Auburn was probably getting one of the biggest steals in him that year as a result.  the chemistry between him and Tre is palpable, and has been since they played pop warner together.  Not to mention he is just an outstanding young man.  Very intelligent, and caring.  He started a charitable foundation before even graduating from HS.  The kid has a mission, and is going to see it through....hell be damned.

Sam Mills look out!  His name is Deshawn.  I can't wait to watch him for many years in the league as well.   

TJ is starting to play more and more every game I am noticing.  He comes in mainly when the second and third defensive lines are out there.  I am also happy to see other guys playing like Tre Threat (mainly on kickoffs but still).  Luckily we have blown the last three teams out of the water so we have gotten good reps in for the younger guys. Next year will pay huge dividends of what we are doing this year.  We will be extremely deep and will be returning players like Paul James III, Jamel Dean, Jeremiah Dinson, etc.  

This is off topic, but I am really happy to see Daniel Thomas play a few snaps.  Those who follow recruiting closely will know this is the guy that really wanted to play for Auburn, and Gus had to be honest with him and tell him he may not have a scholarship for him, so Daniel waited until signing day for one to open up.  Not highly recruited at all, but in the few games he has played in, I have been impressed.  If in the next year or so he cracks the two deep or even starts, I will be his biggest fan.  I like cheering for the underdogs.

14 hours ago, Charhair said:

I did, Ddavis got hurt his senior year and didn't play which kept him under the radar. If he'd have played his senior year he would've been top of his class. 

8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

How the heck did Twill do a better job than the more experienced Lance, Muschamp? :hellyeah: I say it in jest, because I'm glad it happened.

Maybe LT was giving the older guys too much credit?Or was the scheme really that much more complex?

Lance Thompson is not a very good on field coach. He is a very good recruiter and that's all that he was really used for when he coaches for Saban. Twill is 10x the coach LT is and he isaid just as good of a recruiter 

51 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Lance Thompson is not a very good on field coach. He is a very good recruiter and that's all that he was really used for when he coaches for Saban. Twill is 10x the coach LT is and he isaid just as good of a recruiter 

The name Trooper Taylor popped up in my mind when you said this.

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I did, Ddavis got hurt his senior year and didn't play which kept him under the radar. If he'd have played his senior year he would've been top of his class. 

I didn't keep up with him at high school but usually players with good sophomore/junior seasons tend to stay highly ranked even when injured for their SR years, see NCR, Lowell Narcisse, Troxwell and Brahms, etc. 

Davis was undersized, recovering from injury and it looked like both Williams(es) and Neal would be starting over him due to experience and talent. 

Archived