Offensive Line

aubiefifty

7 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

And it was the first time in NCAA history such a thing had ever been achieved.  Yes, the defenses Tulsa faced weren't that good, but neither was Tulsa's talent on offense.  It's not like Gus and Hand were wrecking the sun-belt with a bunch of future first-rounders.

I expected drop-off once Gus got into the SEC, but I didn't expect him to become completely inept.  Maybe what we hear about college offenses not working in the NFL has some merit as it relates to the SEC as well.  Maybe the SEC defenses are such a step up from the mid-majors that a lot of that stuff won't work.  Just like the NFL is a major step up from college, where you are forced to just run the standard old boring "west-coast drop-back pass" offense.

That's what I've been saying. Yes the talent level he had on O @ Tulsa was on par with the talent level of the defenses, but there are certain things just stop becoming viable options when each and every player on the defense is bigger, faster, more athletic, and more gifted in the football IQ department.

6 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

I guess I struck a nerve and my post applied to you! Sorry Coach!   

Lol... No coach, but I have common sense enough not to pull a OG on a play action pass on the first play of the game against the best pass rusher in college football. Especially considering my OL got blown up all night against Clemson trying the SAME cute stuff. Sometimes you have just man up and not over-complicate a situation. I feel that that was one of those moments. WDE.

3 hours ago, AcUmen said:

And it was the first time in NCAA history such a thing had ever been achieved.  Yes, the defenses Tulsa faced weren't that good, but neither was Tulsa's talent on offense.  It's not like Gus and Hand were wrecking the sun-belt with a bunch of future first-rounders.

I expected drop-off once Gus got into the SEC, but I didn't expect him to become completely inept.  Maybe what we hear about college offenses not working in the NFL has some merit as it relates to the SEC as well.  Maybe the SEC defenses are such a step up from the mid-majors that a lot of that stuff won't work.  Just like the NFL is a major step up from college, where you are forced to just run the standard old boring "west-coast drop-back pass" offense.

09,10,13 and 14 is too many years to throw out as outliers. 

It's obvious, to me, that Gus can be successful with a "college offense" (or high school, if you must) but it depends on Gus' ability to change and adapt year to year. That's more than just changing the offense to better for the QB too. It's changing the game plan year to year and game to game after seeing what other teams are doing well. 

If you've got a team like 13 or 14 then f it, run the same play until they stop it. But when you don't have that perfect combination of talent and your QB is a pocket passer (first) then you can't expect your staple play to be a zone read.

7 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

You may turn out to be wrong about being wrong. The season is young. a 1-2 start with losses against two top ten teams does not necessarily mean that Hand was a mistake.

As stat tiger showed up, his entire career's stats are very underwhelming and some what confusing.

espeically considering his last year at Vandy when they were ranked around 110 and then they go up to #5 in the entire nation the year after they fire him. 

Based off of stats like that, you'd assume the Hand hire was more or less "just wait, he's good, he'll prove it to you" which it is, I hope.

but through 3 games, I'm not impressed. 

Posted this in another thread. But I feel it speaks for itself...

Tackles for loss allowed by teams with Herb Hand coaching offensive line 

•2016: 128th (10.67 per game) 
•2015: T-112th (7.23) 
•2014: T-123 (7.62) 
•2013: T-73rd (6.23) 
•2012: T-105th (6.77) 
•2011: 110th (7.23) 
•2010: T-111th (7.5) 
•2009: T-108th (7.33) 
•2008: 55th (5.43) 

That blocking schemes isn't new. Many teams run the same thing. Normally if the end is playing a typical DEs reads and technique, he would be blocked out and ridden up field.  Unfortunately, Chavis had other plans and had them pinching/crashing/stabbing or whatever you want to call it most of the night. As was mentioned, all the film from last year and this year used to scout them never once showed them do that before. That said adjustments should have been made by the 2nd series.

Archived