Offensive Line

aubiefifty

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn gave up four sacks against Texas A&M, and the resulting plethora of negative plays could lead to changes on the offensive line.

Or maybe not.

“We just kind of keep those kind of things in house as the week goes,” Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. “All I was trying to do is, I know when you have negative plays the natural inclination is to get upset with the O-line, but there were still some productive things. We need to play better everywhere, I think that’s obvious, but right now I feel good about those guys and we’ll just see what happens on Saturday.”

Auburn has allowed 32 negative plays through three games, the highest mark in the entire country. Lashlee added the receivers are getting better as blockers, so what is going wrong?

I was wrong with my initial glee with the hiring of Herb Hand. I thought with the success he and Gus had at Tulsa that we would have similar cohesion. I thought since he knows what Gus likes to do that this line would be playing well. I was wrong. Maybe it's because Gus doesn't know what Gus wants to do?

This is what I was hoping for....

as Tulsa ranked first in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaii, and with a more balanced attack than both teams.[7] The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing[8] and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.[9][10]

After the regular season, Malzahn interviewed for the open position at Arkansas once Nutt resigned in November 2007.[11]

In 2008, Tulsa was again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game.[12] The Golden Hurricane were ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game.[13] Tulsa not only ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring that year, but finished with the 2nd highest scoring offense in the history of major college football. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking 5th in the nation in rushing[14] and 9th in passing.[15] The Tulsa quarterbacks finished 3rd in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#Tulsa

6 minutes ago, api1957 said:

This is what I was hoping for....

as Tulsa ranked first in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaii, and with a more balanced attack than both teams.[7] The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing[8] and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.[9][10]

After the regular season, Malzahn interviewed for the open position at Arkansas once Nutt resigned in November 2007.[11]

In 2008, Tulsa was again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game.[12] The Golden Hurricane were ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game.[13] Tulsa not only ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring that year, but finished with the 2nd highest scoring offense in the history of major college football. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking 5th in the nation in rushing[14] and 9th in passing.[15] The Tulsa quarterbacks finished 3rd in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Malzahn#Tulsa

Insane numbers. X box type. Now we can't find a first down. Personnel or coaching. Talent at AU is surely better, but those numbers don t exist in the SEC. 

The problem I think we face is we are just not used to a mediocre or bad offensive line.  I can't remember the last time we had a bad offensive line (2012 maybe?).  We have been fortunate in always having that as our strong suit.  Same with our kickers, we always have good kickers.  I will say some of the times on Saturday it was not their fault.  For instance, on the first play of the game, it is near impossible to have the right guard crossover and put a hat on Garret before he got to White.  I understand why Hand wanted to do that (when the guards cross it usually signals run play so the linebackers and corner push up, freeing the receivers), but that was not the best play for the very first snap, in my unprofessional opinion.

My question to everyone is, how does the outlook for the future look when our starting line out there is not looking so good if our backups were not good enough to start.  We lose at least three linemen after this season.  Just curious of other people's opinions.

My take is consistency. We are not running one offense. We are trying to run 3 types of offense. Very confusing. A few of these plays...a couple of these plays...and sprinkle some of these plays. That Tulsa offense was very much a passing offense. Be that. Pick an identity and perfect it. Consistency in play calling and consistency in game time situations. 

36 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I was wrong with my initial glee with the hiring of Herb Hand. I thought with the success he and Gus had at Tulsa that we would have similar cohesion. I thought since he knows what Gus likes to do that this line would be playing well. I was wrong. Maybe it's because Gus doesn't know what Gus wants to do?

You may turn out to be wrong about being wrong. The season is young. a 1-2 start with losses against two top ten teams does not necessarily mean that Hand was a mistake.

I'm willing to give everybody a little time, including Gus & staff.  There's still a LOT of football left to be played, lots of room for improvement and plenty of time to turn this thing around.

I don't know if they will shuffle the line, but, if they leave SW in there they might want to consider one option. Move Wanogho from the bench to a blocking TE so he can help out the OL. The Prince is even athletic enough to catch a short pass if needed.

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Insane numbers. X box type. Now we can't find a first down. Personnel or coaching. Talent at AU is surely better, but those numbers don t exist in the SEC. 

Numbers are really mind blowing.

5,000 yards passing, a 1,000 yard rusher, THREE 1,000 yard recievers all in the same year...

Yupp, crazy to thing that we can't get more than 16 points against a good team

Last year o line didn't start meshing until the 5th game....when I say that I'm not saying they were bad before meshing but they improved around the Kentucky game. And I'm talking about pass blocking and not as many penalties

33 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I don't know if they will shuffle the line, but, if they leave SW in there they might want to consider one option. Move Wanogho from the bench to a blocking TE so he can help out the OL. The Prince is even athletic enough to catch a short pass if needed.

Could you imagine the eyes of a safety watching  6-8 / 282 running down the middle of the field?

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

This video proves that we have a bunch of experts on this board that doesn't have a damn clue about football! Sometimes the other team just wins the play and it's not poor play calling or coaching that is the issue. Sure, we need to be more consistent in every aspect of our team. Coaching, blocking, tackling, kicking, catching, throwing, running and reading your blocks is all part of the process. 

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

This video proves that we have a bunch of experts on this board that doesn't have a damn clue about football! Sometimes the other team just wins the play and it's not poor play calling or coaching that is the issue. Sure, we need to be more consistent in every aspect of our team. Coaching, blocking, tackling, kicking, catching, throwing, running and reading your blocks is all part of the process. 

Yeah..no. That first play analyzation couldn't be more wrong. For one...the play call itself is questionable. Secondly...why the heck is the LT double teaming a DT with the guard leaving the best pass rusher with a clean release to our QB? Lastly....why....at ANY point in the game, much less the first play of the game, do you leave your LT on an island against the best pass rusher in CFB. There's no HB help, no chip block...nothing at all to impede his rush. Nothing. All night... Nothing. Cox missed more blocks than I can count, but at what point do you..as a coaching staff remedy that match up? They started running away from him and it was working..then they abandoned it the rest of the game. I understand the players have to make the plays to be successful, but against the DL we faced last week, was not the time to try to be cute with our blocking schemes. If anything...Garrett should've been double teamed the ENTIRE game until we wore him down.

I sure as hell hope they don't let Arden Key have free range pass rush all game like they did with Garrett or its gonna be another long game.

Remember, in the 2d, 3rd & 4th quarters last year Shon Coleman did a more than admirable job against Garrett. Handling great players (like our decent job against Fournette in 2014) can lead to recklessly bold plans to handle those guys the following season - plans that can look bloody stupid in hindsight. Herb Hand is new to us but not new and should not be ultimately judged by these two poorly coached/executed games. LSU is huge for this entire O staff, I agree.

I am willing to give the o-line more time before judging Hand to harshly,we do have three starters with very little game experience.But they  need to improve quickly if we are going to win any sec games.

3 hours ago, Charhair said:

Numbers are really mind blowing.

5,000 yards passing, a 1,000 yard rusher, THREE 1,000 yard recievers all in the same year...

Yupp, crazy to thing that we can't get more than 16 points against a good team

And it was the first time in NCAA history such a thing had ever been achieved.  Yes, the defenses Tulsa faced weren't that good, but neither was Tulsa's talent on offense.  It's not like Gus and Hand were wrecking the sun-belt with a bunch of future first-rounders.

I expected drop-off once Gus got into the SEC, but I didn't expect him to become completely inept.  Maybe what we hear about college offenses not working in the NFL has some merit as it relates to the SEC as well.  Maybe the SEC defenses are such a step up from the mid-majors that a lot of that stuff won't work.  Just like the NFL is a major step up from college, where you are forced to just run the standard old boring "west-coast drop-back pass" offense.

35 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Yeah..no. That first play analyzation couldn't be more wrong. For one...the play call itself is questionable. Secondly...why the heck is the LT double teaming a DT with the guard leaving the best pass rusher with a clean release to our QB? Lastly....why....at ANY point in the game, much less the first play of the game, do you leave your LT on an island against the best pass rusher in CFB. There's no HB help, no chip block...nothing at all to impede his rush. Nothing. All night... Nothing. Cox missed more blocks than I can count, but at what point do you..as a coaching staff remedy that match up? They started running away from him and it was working..then they abandoned it the rest of the game. I understand the players have to make the plays to be successful, but against the DL we faced last week, was not the time to try to be cute with our blocking schemes. If anything...Garrett should've been double teamed the ENTIRE game until we wore him down.

I guess I struck a nerve and my post applied to you! Sorry Coach!   

Archived