REREAD: NOW who should be the starting QB for LSU?

BlueFrogg

REREAD: NOW Who should start at QB vs LSU?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start against LSU?

• John Franklin III
    • Sean White

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

If Auburns going to become a team that changes QBs after every L, good luck with any success in the near future. And do people really think we plug in JF3 and BAM 10-2 and the ATL?  Every dual threat QB is not CAM Newton or Nick Marshall. Actually, more turn out to be Kenny "Trill" Hill than anything. Leave the shirt on Barrett, let the sophomore prove to you he is or is not the QB for 2017-2018 over a solid body of work, and stop this carousel after every bad game. Especially since now the season goals should just be "get better." Set a plan, and actually follow the plan, instead of panicking after every L and inserting the next QB on the depth chart, no matter who that may be. 

I don't think one person has said any of that but please carry on.  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a better question would be will the game plan be effective and put the O in a place to win the game.

It doesn't matter who is QB when the blocking scheme is horrible as it was tonight.  I saw so many blocking assignments missed.   

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

At the very least it opens up the stubborn running game that Gus would like to have. Desperation is showing..

Yep. It does do that. Because as we know he's going to force feed it up the middle no matter what on 1st and 2nd down.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think one person has said any of that but please carry on.  

It was hyperbole. Basically saying, everyone puts way too much weight on the QB situation at AU right now. None are world beaters. And the one you declared your starter got spin cycled in substitutions game 1, had a good game against a bad opponent in week 2, and got beat up in an average- below average performance tonight and you pulled him. No matter what QB we have in there has got to be paranoid he is one bad game or one L away from seeing more bench. This will not breed confidence and will not breed success.

Just now, SCTiger2011 said:

It was hyperbole. Basically saying, everyone puts way too much weight on the QB situation at AU right now. None are world beaters. And the one you declared your starter got spin cycled in substitutions game 1, had a good game against a bad opponent in week 2, and got beat up in an average- below average performance tonight and you pulled him. No matter what QB we have in there has got to be paranoid he is one bad game or one L away from seeing more bench. This will not breed confidence and will not breed success.

It is not about switching QBs. I do not for the life of me get why people just won't come to grips that Gus WANTS another athletic QB. He is not going to scheme a whole offensive game plan for SW. He does not have the patience for it. I don't think JF3 is the answer either. However, I do think we are delaying the inevitable. CGM wants to run the zone read. SW is not a zone read QB.

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

You are very correct in that statement. I've only seen people saying insert JF3 at this point b/c he'd likely give us the best shot to stay close since Gus will not build an offense that best supports SW. The fact that SW had an average to below average performance tonight is all on Gus. He didn't set SW up to succeed tonight..except for one drive. What some are saying is that JF3 does at least have the ability to hide the incompetence of Gus. Not a ton in the tone of making the SEC Championship but if we want to win more games and it looks like Gus isn't going to change anytime soon...JF3 could be our best option. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is not about switching QBs. I do not for the life of me get why people just won't come to grips that Gus WANTS another athletic QB. He is not going to scheme a whole offensive game plan for SW. He does not have the patience for it. I don't think JF3 is the answer either. However, I do think we are delaying the inevitable. CGM wants to run the zone read. SW is not a zone read QB.

Oh no, I get that he wants another athletic QB. I actually don't disagree with anything you've said here. But if that is the case, why even name SW the starter? Why let him continue to start after the L at Clemson could've given him an out to start the JF3 experience against an easy opponent? Why keep putting 13 out there to collect Ls if it's not what you want to do? It is very unlike Gus, due to the stubbornness you mentioned, to do something he doesn't want to. So, if that's the case, why does he then keep going against his nature?

Just now, SCTiger2011 said:

Oh no, I get that he wants another athletic QB. I actually don't disagree with anything you've said here. But if that is the case, why even name SW the starter? Why let him continue to start after the L at Clemson could've given him an out to start the JF3 experience against an easy opponent? Why keep putting 13 out there to collect Ls if it's not what you want to do? It is very unlike Gus, due to the stubbornness you mentioned, to do something he doesn't want to. So, if that's the case, why does he then keep going against his nature?

This is the million dollar question. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This is the million dollar question. 

My answer to it is because he knows, for better or worse, that 13 is the "best" (term used relatively) QB on that roster. What's your answer (not being smart, I'm actually enjoying this convo)? 

None of our current QBs can be successful with our current coaching staff. 

I feel sorry for all of them. JJ was on the flippin Heisman Watch to begin last year and Sean has potential as well. 

Our offensive coaches stink. And our OL isn't doing our QBs any favors either. It's time to start prepping for the offseason moves and recruiting season. Ugh!

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

My answer to it is because he knows, for better or worse, that 13 is the "best" (term used relatively) QB on that roster. What's your answer (not being smart, I'm actually enjoying this convo)? 

I agree with you to an extent. I think SW is the most competent. The fact of the matter is if JF3 shows an inkling of an ability to pass just marginal, he would've won the job this summer. I don't think SW just beat him. IMO, JF3 was so inconsistent passing this offseason  that Gus felt like he had no choice but to go with SW. I think after tonight's game that has worn off.

Of course, I am wondering why he didn't give the guy from V-Tech an offer...who knows. Seems he would've fit just fine here.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Of course, I am wondering why he didn't give the guy from V-Tech an offer...who knows. Seems he would've fit just fine here.

It couldn't have hurt.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree with you to an extent. I think SW is the most competent. The fact of the matter is if JF3 shows an inkling of an ability to pass just marginal, he would've won the job this summer. I don't think SW just beat him. IMO, JF3 was so inconsistent passing this offseason  that Gus felt like he had no choice but to go with SW. I think after tonight's game that has worn off.

I thought JF3 was recruited because he was a win\win prospect due to his speed.  Give him a shot at QB, and if he could not win the job he has speed that could be used elsewhere.  I thought he would be used like McCalebb or Grant if he was not playing QB.  I think he could be effective in that role without using him as a wildcat QB that occasionally throws.  As the offseason progressed, it began to seem like Gus was trying desperately to throw all his eggs in the JF3 QB basket.  That he could not win the job with Gus really wanting him to tells me a lot.

I think JF3 has the potential to be a serious playmaker, but they are using him wrong.  He should be on the field WITH Sean White.  Gus has shown us that he loves to use a player like McCalebb/Grant, and he has one sitting on the bench as a backup/situational QB.

Just now, Strychnine said:

I thought JF3 was recruited because he was a win\win prospect due to his speed.  Give him a shot at QB, and if he could not win the job he has speed that could be used elsewhere.  I thought he would be used like McCalebb or Grant if he was not playing QB.  I think he could be effective in that role without using him as a wildcat QB that occasionally throws.  As the offseason progressed, it began to seem like Gus was trying desperately to throw all his eggs in the JF3 QB basket.  That he could not win the job with Gus really wanting him to tells me a lot.

I think JF3 has the potential to be a serious playmaker, but they are using him wrong.  He should be on the field WITH Sean White.  Gus has shown us that he loves to use a player like McCalebb/Grant, and he has one sitting on the bench as a backup/situational QB.

I've never believed JF3 was recruited to play the athlete role. They brought him in here hoping to create another NM. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I've never believed JF3 was recruited to play the athlete role. They brought him in here hoping to create another NM. 

That appears to have indeed been the case now.  The reason I thought that was I remember there being other prospects out there that were less of a work-in-progress than JF3 was, and the staff did not seem very interested in pursuing them aggressively.  Apparently the problem was that they already knew how to play QB, and could not unlearn everything fast enough to play whatever it is we do here.  When you are looking for JUCO help at the QB position, a project QB does not seem like it should be a priority target.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. And why people kept trying to move him and keep trying to move him is beyond me. Unless we're going to make Woody the official backup QB....who is going to be our backup QB? 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

What I can't understand is after the 2015 QB disaster we bring in a JUCO athlete as a QB. Several other schools like Texas A&M found themselves without a QB and signed one. Instead of taking a reasonable approach we decide to try to catch lightning in a bottle again. I find that to be unbelievably incompetent.

Inexplicably bad play calling. Predictable. Bad. Getting worse.   The QB is not the problem. That being said i do not believe Sean White is an SEC caliber QB.  But given good plays, maybe he would be. I am not a sean hater but JF III in my opinion would win a couple more games than Sean. That is what Auburn football 2016 has been reduced to.   Hell we might as well get Woody some experience. The season is over in terms of glory.  With current decision making we maybe win 5 games. 

It's the play calling though, not the talent and not the heart.  Never seen anything like it at any school at any level. Atrocious, embarrasing, horrendous. Should cause a firing. Not for emotional reasons but because in any organization where regression is unacceptable, problems require solutions.  

Gutsy Auburn players and AU fans deserve better. Gus appears to be OK with losing in general and losing SEC home games in perticular.  

AU defense playing at huge level. Screw the stats tonight. They never got to rest.  Auburn defensive coaches deserve raises.  

Rhett lashlee needs to go.  Or maybe Gus. If either  were VP of sales at for-profit company and sales were down for months and months in a row , and some months started great but then sales nose-dived based directly on poor decisions mid- stream , that VP would know it was coming. 

Horribke coaching. Changes needed immediately. Players to talented and working too hard

6 minutes ago, Fricking Ray said:

What I can't understand is after the 2015 QB disaster we bring in a JUCO athlete as a QB. Several other schools like Texas A&M found themselves without a QB and signed one. Instead of taking a reasonable approach we decide to try to catch lightning in a bottle again. I find that to be unbelievably incompetent.

A&M basically lost every QB they had but look like they picked up a better one. 

Archived