Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

We are a playmaker or two away from being 3-0. When you don't have 'highlight reel' players, youre going to struggle to win big games. But when Gus has the playmakers, we are a championship contender. He's proven that with his two NCG appearances. There's no reason for him to change the offensive philosophy that has made him one of (if not the) most successful offensive coaches since 2010.

Maybe he should be criticized for not properly evaluating talent (or, more likely, for failure to sign the best talent), but the man can coach. 

Sometimes it's the fans, not the coach, who lose the team.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, msza said:

We are a playmaker or two away from being 3-0. When you don't have 'highlight reel' playermakers, youre going to struggle to win big games. But when Gus has the playmakers, we are a championship contender. He's proven that with his two NCG appearances. There's no reason for him to change the offensive philosophy that has made him one of (if not the) most successful offensive coaches since 2010.

Maybe he should be criticized for not properly evaluating talent (or, more likely, for failure to sign the best talent), but the man can coach. 

Please.  We aren't the ones being paid $4 million a year to solve this problem.

I don't think Gus is as bad as people here say, I just think he is really bad when he has no decent QB.  But, really, it's his own fault for not recruiting the right guy.  It's not our (the fans) problem.  Saban would be winning with our talent, even with our bad QB's.  Saban never has relied on a QB to win a title -- he does it with the other 10 guys.

38 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Dan Mullen

You mean the crackpot that started the cam newton investigation? No thanks. Besides, save Dak Prescott, Mullen has averaged like 7 wins a season.

7 minutes ago, msza said:

We are a playmaker or two away from being 3-0. When you don't have 'highlight reel' players, youre going to struggle to win big games. But when Gus has the playmakers, we are a championship contender. He's proven that with his two NCG appearances. There's no reason for him to change the offensive philosophy that has made him one of (if not the) most successful offensive coaches since 2010.

We have playmakers. Gus isn't using them right.

2 minutes ago, msza said:

We are a playmaker or two away from being 3-0. When you don't have 'highlight reel' playermakers, youre going to struggle to win big games. But when Gus has the playmakers, we are a championship contender. He's proven that with his two NCG appearances. There's no reason for him to change the offensive philosophy that has made him one of (if not the) most successful offensive coaches since 2010.

You can't be serious.  It's the players' fault?  The coaches have to be good evaluators of talent, recruit well especially for your system, and develop talent.  Then come up with game plans, make adjustments as needed, and get the most out of the players to be successful as a team.  Gus and Rhett are not good and have made AU football a joke.  We have more talent than other programs.  Their lack of evaluating talent, development, and scheming is especially apparent at the QB position but it's the entire offense.  They have to go!

7 minutes ago, msza said:

You are out of your mind if you think these losses have anything to d with the level of talent on this team and the players. Completely and utterly out of your mind. The talent is there as evidenced by consistent top ten recruiting classes. No level wins a game when you rotate in 3-4 qbs every other snap or refuse to throw a pass further than 10 yards. 

13 minutes ago, msza said:

100% "NO", Rhett.

18 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

Please.  We aren't the ones being paid $4 million a year to solve this problem.

I don't think Gus is as bad as people here say, I just think he is really bad when he has no decent QB.  But, really, it's his own fault for not recruiting the right guy.  It's not our (the fans) problem.  Saban would be winning with our talent, even with our bad QB's.  Saban never has relied on a QB to win a title -- he does it with the other 10 guys.

I agree that it's his fault for not getting the right guy. But those questioning his playcalling ability are being a bit dense IMO.

RE: Saban -- Apples and oranges. He runs an entirely different system. Plus, Saban is a defensive coach and most of his star players are defensive guys. That's a big reason he doesn't need a top quarterback.

16 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

You can't be serious.  It's the players' fault?  The coaches have to be good evaluators of talent, recruit well especially for your system, and develop talent.  Then come up with game plans, make adjustments as needed, and get the most out of the players to be successful as a team.  Gus and Rhett are not good and have made AU football a joke.  We have more talent than other programs.  Their lack of evaluating talent, development, and scheming is especially apparent at the QB position but it's the entire offense.  They have to go!

No, it's not a player's fault for not being 'Heismanesque,' which is what you need to be a championship contender. Everyone has a ceiling for their talent.

15 minutes ago, shabby said:

You are out of your mind if you think these losses have anything to d with the level of talent on this team and the players. Completely and utterly out of your mind. The talent is there as evidenced by consistent top ten recruiting classes. No level wins a game when you rotate in 3-4 qbs every other snap or refuse to throw a pass further than 10 yards. 

If we had a Lamar Jackson, we'd be doing great. At this level, you need a Lamar Jackson to be a contender. Watch the dominoes fall this season. We've been tested a lot more than most teams at this point, but the teams still standing in November will be the ones with extraordinary playmakers.

Gus fessed up to his mistake against Clemson. I appreciated that he was trying something new, and I hope he continues to do so. Not every experiment is a success, and I respect that Gus is less afraid of failure on the field than the majority of this board appears to be.

11 minutes ago, msza said:

We are loaded with talent!! The problem is this staff is not developing our talent nor are they putting them in a position to win.   It would be hard to find a worse game plan than what we saw against Clemson.  Who would ever think a three QB system utilizing their strengths would work against the #2 team in the nation?  And for him to get testy about people questioning that plan is beyond me.

Last night was terrible as well.  It is the coaching and the play calling that is the problem.   We see teams every week without the "playmakers" beat teams they should not.   It is because their coaches get more out of them.  It is all about leadership and we are lacking.   We saw Clint Myers on the field last night and it should remind us of what a difference one person can make.   We need a head coach who can lead and coach.

I hate it for the man and I am not sure what has happened to him but he is lost.

I hope he can turn it around in a big way - I want him to be successful because it means Auburn is successful.   Our players, students and fans deserve better than what he is putting on the field and that is all on him -the head coach!!!

1 minute ago, msza said:

Apples and oranges. Saban runs an entirely different system. Plus, Saban is a defensive coach and most of his star players are defensive guys. That's a big reason he doesn't need a top quarterback.

No, it's not a player's fault for not being 'Heismanesque,' which is what you need to be a championship contender. Everyone has a ceiling for their talent.

If we had a Lamar Jackson, we'd be doing great. At this level, you need a Lamar Jackson to be a contender. Watch the dominoes fall this season. We've been tested a lot more than most teams at this point, but the teams still standing in November will be the ones with extraordinary playmakers.

Gus fessed up to his mistake against Clemson. I appreciated that he was trying something new, and I hope he continues to do so. Not every experiment is a success, and I respect that Gus is less afraid of failure on the field than the majority of this board appears to be.

Excuses excuses.  Saban wins because he demands excellence and he wins w/o star QBs.  Doesn't matter that he runs another offense which by the way, he was willing to evolve by bringing in Kiffen.

To say that we are not winning because we don't have heismamlike talent is crazy.  Lamar Jackson was a 3* recruit who Petrino has developed into a great talent.  Our clowns recruited higher ranked qb talent that have regressed.

There is nothing admirable about GM "experimenting" with 3 qbs and the crazy substitution in the Clemson game.  It was the most bizarre and incompetent offensive game plan ever devised especially for the 1st game of the yr.

Gus and Rhett are bad and should never have been hired.  Same with Chizik.  It's obvious to all that it's time to make a move before further damage is done to AU football.

Until the University gets a president that will clear out the good ole boy network and gets a AD that will run this football program like the business that it is, we will keep experiencing the same thing year in, year out. It took that at turd U and look at their success. Too many hands in the pot and no one to tell them to back off.

1 minute ago, mom2kid said:

Excuses excuses.  Saban wins because he demands excellence and he wins w/o star QBs.  Doesn't matter that he runs another offense which by the way, he was willing to evolve by bringing in Kiffen.

To say that we are not winning because we don't have heismamlike talent is crazy.  Lamar Jackson was a 3* recruit who Petrino has developed into a great talent.  Our clowns recruited higher ranked qb talent that have regressed.

There is nothing admirable about GM "experimenting" with 3 qbs and the crazy substitution in the Clemson game.  It was the most bizarre and incompetent offensive game plan ever devised especially for the 1st game of the yr.

Gus and Rhett are bad and should never have been hired.  Same with Chizik.  It's obvious to all that it's time to make a move before further damage is done to AU football.

We never should have hired Chizik or Gus? That is lunacy. So you'd trade an NC and another NC appearance in the past 6 years for an unknown outcome?

58 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Don't like bumping my own post but Mullen should be considered.

DM has successfully turned around Miss St and could take the pool of talent we have and make it win.  MSt has been to a bowl game every season under Mullen except his first.  

DM is a man of excellent character and is highly respected in the SEC.  I think his record is better than Tubbs at UM.  

The next hc has to have been a successful hc at another Div 1 school, not just a coordinator.  

Btw, MStates's qbs have been good.

So ?

http://afca.com/article/article.php?id=2743

Dan Mullen Year-by-Year

2009 Mississippi State 5-7
2010 Mississippi State 9-4 Gator Bowl
2011 Mississippi State 7-6 Music City Bowl
2012 Mississippi State 8-5 Gator Bowl
2013 Mississippi State 7-6 Liberty Bowl
2014 Mississippi State 10-3 Orange Bowl
2015 Mississippi State 9-4 Belk Bowl
Total 7 seasons

Miss State doesn't even want him.

Move Gus To athletic director heck with useless  buyout! He can be no worse in any way than Jacobs then he Gus still has to earn his money not paying out the rest of his contract in a lump sum then Auburn can go get a real good coach. Because the way it's going now 10 dollar tickets is gonna be the only advantage to the fans then the program is gona go broke ! It wasn't that long ago that we were dominating Alabama they made a big move that turned it all around well Auburn is just gonna have to do the same thing instead of this settling for lesser coaches we have to think outside the box to get out of this 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Instead of looking at the same tired choices we did 4 years ago- most being long shots at best- I suggest looking at all options. This means NFL. 

This is what I've been saying. No more up and comers, or coordinators who have been "hot" for the last 1-2 seasons.

we've got the money. With what we are paying Gus, I don't see why we couldn't match (and match at the least) anyone's current contract. It's expected that Carrol is making about $8mil a year (as the second highest paid coach in the nfl behind Belichick who does not have a public contract). 

Sure that means a top tier coach would cost the university about twice as much year to year but if we were actually winning games and competing for conference and national titles, I am more than sure his success would pay for itself. 

9 minutes ago, msza said:

We never should have hired Chizik or Gus? That is lunacy. So you'd trade an NC and another NC appearance in the past 6 years for an unknown outcome?

What program has had the extreme roller coaster run that AU has had in the last 6 yrs?  We had lightening in a bottle with Cam.  He leaves and the program tanks so profoundly that Chizik is fired after yr 2.  Gus comes in and again has lightening in a bottle with Nick and surprises teams with trickery.  To me, the way we tanked the 2nd half against FSU in the natty was classic Gus.  We proceeded to go downhill after that and I mean race to the bottom.  Both coaches had lising records the yr they were selected by Jacobs.  So yes, I didn't think either one should have been hired at the time.  You do realuze that other than MSU and Vandy, perhaps Mizzou, we will probably be at the bottom if the sec again.

20 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I would like, this time, to hire someone with some tangible experience and a decent track record as a D1 HC...not coordinator.

Too much to ask?

When you consider the money Auburn is willing to pay, that is not at all too much to ask.

3 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

What program has had the extreme roller coaster run that AU has had in the last 6 yrs?  We had lightening in a bottle with Cam.  He leaves and the program tanks so profoundly that Chizik is fired after yr 2.  Gus comes in and again has lightening in a bottle with Nick and surprises teams with trickery.  To me, the way we tanked the 2nd half against FSU in the natty was classic Gus.  We proceeded to go downhill after that and I mean race to the bottom.  Both coaches had lising records the yr they were selected by Jacobs.  So yes, I didn't think either one should have been hired at the time.  You do realuze that other than MSU and Vandy, perhaps Mizzou, we will probably be at the bottom if the sec again.

Gus didnt have a losing record when he was hired. stAte was like 10-2 or 10-3 under Gus...

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

When you consider the money Auburn is willing to pay, that is not at all too much to ask.

I still say we should get to San Fransisco yesterday and force Chip Kelly to rip up a blank check and call security on us because we won't leave or take no for an answer.

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I still say we should get to San Fransisco yesterday and force Chip Kelly to rip up a blank check and call security on us because we won't leave or take no for an answer.

We can only hope that if a new coach is the direction we go in that we are after someone as big as Chip. Crazy to think we beat him 6 years ago and now he'd be a huge upgrade on one of the most important reasons we even faced him.

oh well

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I would have no issue whatsoever with Chip Kelly having the keys to the Ferrari.  That said, I will not be holding my breath.

Archived