Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

The sad thing to me is, 12 pages into this thread, I do not believe I have seen Gus being defended.  Granted, I may have missed it.  The most support I have seen for Gus is from people that have just accepted he will be here another year.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

+2. So my question would be what are some other names? These have been the only names i've seen or heard thus far. 

Tubs, Herman, Jeff Brohm, Les Miles (if LSU foolishly fires him), pat narduzzi, Brent venables, mike gundy??

I don't think tonight's result means we should fire him, he's still got at least 9 games to play and time to turn it around. 

We haven't won a home sec game in two years. That's too long.

i think it's people who have seen the play against Clemson and tamu and realize if this is how we play against all top tier teams that the problem is our offensive staff. 

We have 4* & 5* at every position on the field (they don't all start but we've obviously got a bunch of talent). Our defense is playing light years better than they have in years, arguably the best defense we've had since Tubbs. 

We had a RB average over 6 yards a carry on 20 carries and he pretty much disappeared for one and a half quarters...what?

the blocking scheme Gus was using to defend Garret the first half was literally being laughed at by the announcers. 

Fans are just getting restless and tired of the things that make no sense that we are doing offensively that other teams don't seem to struggle with as much.  

Edit: @Strychnine I meant to quote your last post on this 

3 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Fans are just getting restless and tired of the things that make no sense that we are doing offensively that other teams don't seem to struggle with as much.  

Edit: @Strychnine I meant to quote your last post on this 

My point was that Gus appears to have lost the faith of the forum, probably much of the fanbase itself, and deservedly so.  I wanted the man to succeed, because that meant Auburn succeeds.  It saddens me because I am tired of seeing bad coaches paid millions of dollars to go away.  It really does not matter how this season turns out.  Good coaches do not produce things like 2015, and what we have seen so far of 2016, especially not with what the coaches have to work with.

Auburn has spent a lot of money on incompetence.  I do not want Gus to be fired; I want him to be good, that which he was supposed to be.  I want him to accept that what he has apparently spent the last two offseasons trying to put together is not working, and that perhaps continuing to repeat it indefinitely is not likely to change the outcome.  I want the offensive genius to quit embarassing himself at Auburn's expense on national television.  I am coming to terms with that what I want is probably an unreasonable expectation, and unlikely to happen.

My fear is that it might be possible that Gus is too stubborn to realize that he is embarassing himself.

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

My point was that Gus appears to have lost the faith of the forum, probably much of the fanbase itself, and deservedly so.  I wanted the man to succeed, because that meant Auburn succeeds.  It saddens me because I am tired of seeing bad coaches paid millions of dollars to go away.  It really does not matter how this season turns out.  Good coaches do not produce things like 2015, and what we have seen so far of 2016, especially not with what the coaches have to work with.

Auburn has spent a lot of money on incompetence.  I do not want Gus to be fired; I want him to be good, that which he was supposed to be.  I want him to accept that what he has apparently spent the last two offseasons trying to put together is not working, and that perhaps continuing to repeat it indefinitely is not likely to change the outcome.  I want the offensive genius to quit embarassing himself at Auburn's expense on national television.  I am coming to terms with that what I want is probably an unreasonable expectation, and unlikely to happen.

My fear is that it might be possible that Gus is too stubborn to realize that he is embarassing himself.

If things keep going this way this season and Gus does not let someone else take over his o then there is probably no other choice. I do not believe that a better QB will do much to his offense at this point. The playing calling does not seem to have advanced and other teams have adapted. I want and have wanted nothing more for auburn than Gus to be successful so he can stay at AU and create a great culture. 

I hope he proves me wrong and we end up going at least 11-2. But if Clemson and tamu are any indication, that will not happen. 

1 minute ago, Charhair said:

If things keep going this way this season and Gus does not let someone else take over his o then there is probably no other choice. I do not believe that a better QB will do much to his offense at this point. The playing calling does not seem to have advanced and other teams have adapted. I want and have wanted nothing more for auburn than Gus to be successful so he can stay at AU and create a great culture. 

I hope he proves me wrong and we end up going at least 11-2. But if Clemson and tamu are any indication, that will not happen. 

I used to believe, like many others, that Gus tailors his offense to QB strengths. Given the Auburn body of work that we have to review, it appears that successful QB's tailor his offense to them. With Cam Newton or Nick Marshall taking snaps, he looks like the genius people thought he was. Both of them had one thing in common: they had an uncoachable knack for turning bad situations into insane positives. Without such dynamic players, his offense appears to consistently fail to work effectively against teams with a pulse.

12 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Gus went all in when he kept Rhett and didn't want to accept or integrate any of CDC's suggestions and help. He went all in with his decisions and he has to live with that. Still plenty of games left but if Gus didn't learn his lesson after the first two games about what he needed to do on offense to give this team a better chance to score points i don't see that happening going forward. It's going to be a constant roller coaster with him as the season goes on. And even if we win out we screwed 2 great opportunities that would have likely had us in position to make the playoffs. 

Gus needs to get in that fancy sports car and drive back to Arkansas. It's pretty clear after three years, he's not cut out for being an SEC coach as well as trying to pretend to be one

I like Gus as a man but I hate his stubbornest as a football coach. I almost fell out of the upper deck when I saw the "spinnarooni" play ran again. Gus should know this junior high crap will not work in major college football. Gus will not allow the QB's to throw the ball downfield even when the opposition is stacking the box. Gus simply is in over his head. We need to spend the bucks to get a proven winner in here as a head football coach. Petrino, Fisher, B. Stoops, Chip Kelly, anybody that has proven that they are a winner. Sorry Gus, I rode the bus until the wheels fell off. It is time to scrap the Gus Bus in favor of a better model.

9 hours ago, Weegle777 said:

Me too. I got shelled for even suggesting it. 

Wow everyone wants the flash in the pan coach Im still for the coach the one that wins no matter where he is Im for Petrino.  Worst mistake Auburn made was not taking a chance on him.  Oh Yeah I get it he wasnt an Auburn man.  Fire up the jet got get a no name coach from Houston that will solve the problem SMH.

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Ive said it in another website and another thread on this board. 

But...

Chip. Kelly. 

Thats who we need.

Pray for niners losses :lol:

4 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Does anyone remember Houston Nutt not letting Gus have full control of his O?  Looking at it now I see why.  

Chiz also. Guess now I know why Chiz sat in on all of the offensive meetings. And yes that happened. 

7 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Does anyone remember Houston Nutt not letting Gus have full control of his O?  Looking at it now I see why.  

Apparently Nutt, wasn't such a nut after all.

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Chiz also. Guess now I know why Chiz sat in on all of the offensive meetings. And yes that happened. 

Looks Iike we'll be seeing Gus break dancing for a long time, maybe Vandy, but that's not a given.

9 hours ago, selias said:

Yes, I would. Who he bangs in his private life is no concern of mine.

That's a real problem. You are asking a man to lead and shape the lives of well over a hundred young men. If you're fine with their role model and leader being a scum bag, then your priorities are garbage. I'd rather go 0-12 and be leading these young men toward being good men than 12-0 and teaching them that morals don't matter.  Attitudes like this show why our country is in a downward spiral. Right and wrong no longer matter. Only success and money. 

1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

That's a real problem. You are asking a man to lead and shape the lives of well over a hundred young men. If you're fine with their role model and leader being a scum bag, then your priorities are garbage. I'd rather go 0-12 and be leading these young men toward being good men than 12-0 and teaching them that morals don't matter.  Attitudes like this show why our country is in a downward spiral. Right and wrong no longer matter. Only success and money. 

You have no clue to what you speak. I'll just leave it at that if you think AU has never had any "scum bag" coaches. AU is lilly-white. 

1. It is not necessary to determine the replacement prior to firing our inept and incompetent current coach, who is basically a salesman of a philosophy that he can only implement when blessed with a QB who is both a transcendent runner and at least a strong and relatively solid passer.

2.  There are dozens upon dozens of current head coaches and coordinators in multiple levels of the college game who would be a significant upgrade and replacement over our current head coach. There are also coordinators in the NFL with college experience who might be willing to coach a major college program who would also be a significant upgrade over our current head coach. There are former coaches who for one or more reasons are not currently coaching too, although they may not be my first or even 10th choice, would still be a significant upgrade over our current head coach.

3. The Saban hating is really irrelevant to what we are doing, and while we like to pretend that he is an evil man, he actually runs the most discipline the program outside of the service academies in America, and most of his players who buy in are very supportive of his methods and his results.

4. Bobby Petrino know would not urinate on Auburn University even in the event of a fire if doing so would put that fire out.  I'm not worried about his former mistress. We have had and probably have at least one person on our current coaching staff if not more who either currently or previously have had a mistress.  I do care about having a coach who can avoid embarrassing the University and losing credibility with his players due to such indiscretions. But this is a moot point in the case of this particular former Auburn coordinator who will never voluntarily come back to this campus after how he was handled during the last coaching search.

5.  Briles looks to have had a major major problem in the behavior that he tolerated among his players, although he is a phenomenal coach. Maybe he would avoid that mistake the second time around. But maybe we should stay far away, and again there are many many potential prospects out there who could work at Auburn, especially with the generous buy out terms we offer for the slightest success.

6.  My suspicion is that if Gus wins at least five games, due to the massive amount of money we would owe him for parting ways with him, that we will give him one more year if he truly shakes things up at the offensive Cordinator position and gets the hell out of the way. Gus will throw Rhett under his boss, but I think he would micromanage any replacement at offensive coordinator to the point that all we're doing is taking One more year to tow that bus out of Auburn.

7. It is more likely that Jay Jacobs will be terminated by the new president once that President truly assesses the state of the athletic programs, so again, barring a complete catastrophe of the season, Gus will get another year.   The most likely reason to see a change this year is if the loss of football related revenue due to the performance of our current coach looks like it will exceed the consequences of the buyout provisions in his current contract. Only then will you see what would be a donor driven decision to immediately terminate him. 

8.  Back to the merits of this issue beyond finances, not only do I believe that there are dozens of current coaches who could do better than what we are currently putting on the field, I believe there are thousands of high school, college, and maybe even middle school students who could design a better offense but our current head coach. When I watch these games, and I am not joking, I wonder if Gus is suffering from the consequences of repeated head injuries, dementia, or some sort of condition of a medical nature. Once upon a time he consistently took risks and was creative in his approach to the game. The 2009  Kentucky game was a warning sign, but Gus creatively call plays from time to time and seemed to have the ability to game plan to the weaknesses of his opponents. Now, it looks like he spends the majority of his days curled in a corner in his office in the fetal position with the lights out. 

9.  I am not one to engage in a lot of name-calling, because it doesn't serve much of a purpose, but regrettably, and for whatever reason I do not know in terms of how it happened, but our head coach is effectively a fool. Maybe it's the lack of the truly gifted personnel he must have at the quarterback position to be successful, or maybe opposing coaches have finally figured out the necessary schemes to effectively stop his offense. But either way, his playcalling looks completely incompetent. I have no business coaching anything beyond maybe a middle school level team, and I believe with every bone in my body that I can do a better job than he does right now.

10.  Our defense is discouraged because while they have shown the ability to improve upon last season, and they are getting nothing from the offense with any degree of consistency. I believe Pettaway is our best back, but in addition to our failings at offensive play calling, our failings in personnel management and player substitutions may be an even bigger problem. 

Archived