So TAMU fans are still caught up on the "horse collar"

RunInRed

35 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

this conversation will go nowhere.  it happens every year.  no fan base is perfect.  every team has a bad apple from time to time.  I live here in college station and see no difference in the passion each fan base shows for their team.  aggie fans are great people as are auburn fans.  you cant say that the whole A&M team bad based off of one hit RSJ did on our guy.  was Kris Frost a thug for breaking Treadwells ankles?

I happen to agree with (almost) everything you said.

You had me until "Kris Frost".  Please note, the differences in the situations...

For reference on Kris Frost and why nobody considers him a "thug" after that play:  http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/103544/auburn-lb-kris-frost-recalls-his-infamous-tackle-on-laquon-treadwell

Excerpt: " "It was kind of bittersweet," Frost said Monday. "It was hard to really be super excited about the win when you know it came down to such a heartbreaking play like that for him. But it's kind of part of this game we play, unfortunately."

The tackle wasn't dirty. When Frost pulled Treadwell's jersey from behind at the goal line, the star receiver's leg buckled underneath him, fracturing his tibia and dislocating his ankle. As Treadwell said later, "it's a part of football."

Still, that didn't help Frost from feeling bad for his injured counterpart. He called the next day to check on Treadwell and reached out at least twice more after that.

"I respect him as a man for doing that," Treadwell told ESPN.com this spring. "A lot of people didn't have to do that. It's just football. But he showed his support, so I appreciated that."

The two don't stay in contact as much these days, but Frost has still been keeping tabs on Treadwell. He has seen the videos on Instagram. He even watched the Ole Miss spring game. He wants the Rebels star to return to form as much as anybody.

"Him being able to bounce back is really what's important now, and moving forward," Frost said. "So to see him back on his feet and moving around a little bit was great. I'm excited for him, and I know he's going to have a great season being such a great player." "

1 minute ago, KerryThachWDE said:

bad example on my part. 

No biggie.  Hey, like I said, everything else you said was spot on!

War Eagle!

1 hour ago, aeroag14 said:

The most interesting thing I have seen this thread is the animosity toward Sumlin.  And how he is running a program in a manner that yall don't like.  This is seriously interesting to me.

Here's the thing with Sumlin.  He's had a track record of enabling his best players in whatever they want to get up to.  Johnny Manziel is the easiest to go after.  Sumlin single handedly allowed that kid to basically ruin his life by enabling him to develop a head the size of a small planet. He turned a blind eye to everything he did off the field, allowed him to do crazy things like telecommute all of his classes so he didn't have to mix with the students, and I have to say he is the first college player I've ever seen get shot up with cortisone, or whatever it was, during a game, so he could keep playing. That continued with Hill, who's ego blew up so fast that he burned out. It culminated in Sumlin losing both of his top QBs because they didn't want to play for the man.  That's a SERIOUS issue.  Then you have offensive players with multiple targeting calls.  You have questionable activities in the pile that include quotes from A&M players basically admitting to dirty play. You are rapidly becoming like UGA.

Here's the deal... if it wasn't A&M, Sumlin would just be another SEC coach... but A&M is supposed to be one of the good guys. Generally speaking, Auburn people respect A&M.  We love your campus and we like your fans.  We just think you deserve better than someone who puts winning above honor... especially when he's not that great at winning.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You mean "Trill".

Yea.... no I didn't :glare:.  That kids parents should have been slapped upside the back of their heads, along with Sumlin for going along with it.

I may get flamed for this but I think that Frost/JM play is 50/50 could've been called a horse collar. The ref just didn't. But I bet if our teams were reversed and it was Myles Garrett bringing Nick Marshall down in the same manner, especially at such a critical point in the game this board would've exploded with people calling for a flag. I'm just glad the ref didn't call it and we won. In the umm weird, for lack of a better term, video that McLoof posted it looks like Frost's hands go inside the back of JM's pads/jersey. What could he be grabbing if not the pads/jersey?

But like I said, we won and I was ecstatic. We have been screwed by refs plenty of times so this one going our way will get no complaints from me. And I also feel like comparing this to what RSJ did is laughable. One guy was making a play another was head hunting IMO...as of offensive player.

But as far as TAMU being dirty, yeah I agree with that and I hope badly that they leave JHS as losers. This game has had a certain feeling about it the last few years, like a budding rivalry I'd say.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This game has had a certain feeling about it the last few years, like a budding rivalry I'd say.

I agree. 

And you're right, the horse collar was close enough that I don't blame TAMU fans for being pissed about it. It's just the whiny obsession they evidently maintain, even though their players are dirty and the refs gave them the game in 2014. Lion's right, they're very UGA-like in that regard.  

I'm not sure why they're so whiney about that play (okay, yes...I would be too :rolleyes:) since they lost 3 other games that year.  It's not like they lost out of the SECCG because of that call...  

But hey...at least they beat DUKE!!!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm not sure why they're so whiney about that play (okay, yes...I would be too) since they lost 3 other games that year.  It's not like they lost out of the SECCG because of that call...  

But hey...at least they beat DUKE!!!

That Duke game was actually a fun game to watch. I loved it. Johnny Football went out in spectacular fashion. 

Just now, AU80cruiser said:

That Duke game was actually a fun game to watch. I loved it. Johnny Football went out in spectacular fashion. 

You're right.  That was an INCREDIBLE game!!  Of course, it was New Years' Eve so I had to re-watch it in order to remember any of it.  :cheers:

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree. 

And you're right, the horse collar was close enough that I don't blame TAMU fans for being pissed about it. It's just the whiny obsession they evidently maintain, even though their players are dirty and the refs gave them the game in 2014. Lion's right, they're very UGA-like in that regard.  

100 emoji

15 hours ago, ReidMcLain said:

"The horse-collar tackle is an American football maneuver in which a defender tackles another player by grabbing the back collar or the back-inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and pulling the ball carrier directly downward in order to pull his feet from underneath him."

Kris Frost DID grab his horse collar, but DID NOT use it in order to pull him down. He grabbed his shoulder as well and made a semi-proper tackle. If he had only grabbed the back of his collar and drug him down that way, then there would have been a penalty. but he didn't and there wasn't.

Correct. Plus did not "pull the ball carrier directly downward in order to pull his feet from underneath him."

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3418265/johnnyhorse.gif

16 hours ago, ReidMcLain said:

"The horse-collar tackle is an American football maneuver in which a defender tackles another player by grabbing the back collar or the back-inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and pulling the ball carrier directly downward in order to pull his feet from underneath him."

Kris Frost DID grab his horse collar, but DID NOT use it in order to pull him down. He grabbed his shoulder as well and made a semi-proper tackle. If he had only grabbed the back of his collar and drug him down that way, then there would have been a penalty. but he didn't and there wasn't.

I don't know. Looks like the horse collar is what got him down. I do know this, if it had happened to us, most of us would have been screaming bloody murder.

51 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Correct. Plus did not "pull the ball carrier directly downward in order to pull his feet from underneath him."

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3418265/johnnyhorse.gif

This is a better view for the argument of no horse collar call, but I will stand by the fact that if it had happened to us we would have been highly upset.

It may not be a "horse collar tackle." Regardless, that tackle is the same tackle that the NFL and the NCAA is trying to police out. Those tackles can mess up legs and careers. Being pulled down from behind while the legs are stillmoving forward puts unnatural stress on the legs. Thankfully, Manziels upper body gave in and contorted itself back toward the tackler so that it didn't cause more pressure on the legs. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

It may not be a "horse collar tackle." Regardless, that tackle is the same tackle that the NFL and the NCAA is trying to police out. Those tackles can mess up legs and careers. Being pulled down from behind while the legs are stillmoving forward puts unnatural stress on the legs. Thankfully, Manziels upper body gave in and contorted itself back toward the tackler so that it didn't cause more pressure on the legs. 

It's going to be interesting if they outlaw it entirely, because it will basically make it so if a receiver burns the D, it's an automatic touchdown, because you'd be just as likely to be flagged as get a clean tackle trying to catch them from behind. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

It's going to be interesting if they outlaw it entirely, because it will basically make it so if a receiver burns the D, it's an automatic touchdown, because you'd be just as likely to be flagged as get a clean tackle trying to catch them from behind. 

Just don't pull them down by the shoulder pads from behind. Aim for their hips.

As the PTB continue to lead American Tackle Football down the road toward Two-Hand Touch Football; Rugby & Australian Rules Football players still don't even wear helmets or pads.  Heck, the guys that use a mouthpiece get laughed at.

How much $$ does NCAA Flag Football bring in?

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

As the PTB continue to lead American Tackle Football down the road toward Two-Hand Touch Football; Rugby & Australian Rules Football players still don't even wear helmets or pads.  Heck, the guys that use a mouthpiece get laughed at.

I'm still a huge proponent of using all of the technology and materials at our disposal to revisit the uniforms, from the ground up, and develop some body armor that will allow them to his as hard as they want, without damage. I bet it can be done.  All we need is material that absorbs/disperses the force of impact while being lightweight.  The military already has a head start on making body armor that allows plenty of freedom of movement.

27 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I bet Terry Beasley would've appreciated the efforts today back when he was getting decapitated on the field with no regard to his long term health.

http://m.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/a-costly-legacy-auburn-s-greatest-receiver-terry-beasley-paid/article_5a4df952-e43e-11e2-8f20-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I bet Terry Beasley would've appreciated the efforts today back when he was getting decapitated on the field with no regard to his long term health.

http://m.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/a-costly-legacy-auburn-s-greatest-receiver-terry-beasley-paid/article_5a4df952-e43e-11e2-8f20-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him and his wife a few years back. Football took its toll. 

I'd recommended his book, God's Receiver, if you haven't read it already. It's an excellent read.

Archived