Sean White: All the throws (and a couple of runs)

TitanTiger

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm already on board the KJ for Heisman train.  Not necessarily this year but I feel like he'll be at least invited to the party next year.

Unfortunately, it's going to be EXTREMELY hard for a running back from Auburn to win the Heisman.  We spread the ball around too much for anyone to get the gaudy stats required to snag the trophy. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up the best back in the league but not even in the top 5 for total yards.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Unfortunately, it's going to be EXTREMELY hard for a running back from Auburn to win the Heisman.  We spread the ball around too much for anyone to get the gaudy stats required to snag the trophy. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up the best back in the league but not even in the top 5 for total yards.

You're not wrong.

I picture him being so dynamic though.....  If Gus uses him in various roles (as y'all discussed before) I could still see a place at the table for him.

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

KJ is literally one of the best football players that has players at Auburn. I've watched him play many times and I really think he could literally be a hb (of course), wr, linebacker, corner, safety at the D1 level

He is by far our best offensive player. He reminds me off a young d mac 

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Um... Tre Mason was a Heisman finalist. And he didn't get Wildcat snaps. And he never put a Reggie Bush-like play on tape like KJ did the other night. And CAP had 1,608 yards in 2014, good for 3rd best rushing total in RBU history. What might hold Kerryon back is he doesn't have their OLs, but we are already finding ways to get him the ball. 

To that point, 72, you're right, he's going to get used in myriad ways. He's already got our 2nd best downfield catch of the season, if only it had stood. 2 of our first 3 TDs were him scoring out of the Wildcat. He's got one of the most athletic runs an Auburn RB has made since Onterrio McCalebb already this season... and it was actually a reception. And he can run between the tackles, no matter how much our resident size queens hate it. It's only a matter of time until he throws the ball. 

DAG, I'm with you. I've said it since last year and I'm glad he's really getting to showcase it this year. Heck, even I didn't realize how athletic he is. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Um... Tre Mason was a Heisman finalist. And he didn't get Wildcat snaps. And he never put a Reggie Bush-like play on tape like KJ did the other night. And CAP had 1,608 yards in 2014, good for 3rd best rushing total in RBU history. What might hold Kerryon back is he doesn't have their OLs, but we are already finding ways to get him the ball. 

To that point, 72, you're right, he's going to get used in myriad ways. He's already got our 2nd best downfield catch of the season, if only it had stood. 2 of our first 3 TDs were him scoring out of the Wildcat. He's got one of the most athletic runs an Auburn RB has made since Onterrio McCalebb already this season... and it was actually a reception. And he can run between the tackles, no matter how much our resident size queens hate it. It's only a matter of time until he throws the ball. 

DAG, I'm with you. I've said it since last year and I'm glad he's really getting to showcase it this year. Heck, even I didn't realize how athletic he is. 

I see KJ as having a skill set much like that of Christian McCaffrey. Unfortunately I think McCaffrey would get the edge if it came down to the two, assuming McCaffrey has a similar season to what he had last year.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Um... Tre Mason was a Heisman finalist. And he didn't get Wildcat snaps. And he never put a Reggie Bush-like play on tape like KJ did the other night.

He did, however, put up 304 yards in the SEC Championship game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Kerryon is less of a running back than Tre or won't be deserving as time goes on. I'm saying the Heisman people put too much emphasis on 2 things... 1 - numbers and 2 - team ranking. By the end of this season, the rock star run from last week won't even be a memory for Heisman voters, since a 40 yard touchdown catch isn't impressive... on paper.

5 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I see KJ as having a skill set much like that of Christian McCaffrey. Unfortunately I think McCaffrey would get the edge if it came down to the two, assuming McCaffrey has a similar season to what he had last year.

I've been saying we need to utilize him in the same way the Stanford offensive staff uses CM too. KJ has crazy skills

9 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

They do love a "body of work".

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He did, however, put up 304 yards in the SEC Championship game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Kerryon is less of a running back than Tre or won't be deserving as time goes on. I'm saying the Heisman people put too much emphasis on 2 things... 1 - numbers and 2 - team ranking. By the end of this season, the rock star run from last week won't even be a memory for Heisman voters, since a 40 yard touchdown catch isn't impressive... on paper.

I hear ya, I just think Kerryon's going to get those numbers if his OL will let him. Gus loves to find his most dependable guy and ride him. Check. Gus finds lots of ways to get Kerryon the ball. Check. Lots of touches means big numbers and lots of opportunities for more highlight reel plays (of which I think there will be some). Check check. 

Anyway, Gus's offense has heavily featured one guy more often than not since he's been at Auburn. Tate in '09, Cam in '10, Dyer in '11, Tre in '13 and CAP in '14. So really every year except last year, and even then it was only because Jovon spent most of the season with his head residing at the wrong end of his body. Kerryon is that guy this season. 

I'm an old guy too.  I like the Brandon Cox comparisons personally.  SW and BC are both tough competitors.  Burger is literally 20 years further back than that and my memory starts to get a little fuzzy at that point.  The 2 biggest things I like about SW are 1. his toughness - dude does not back down! and 2. he is a gamer.  He takes it to another level under the lights.  Teammates respect a guy like that.  You want that in your QB.  When the QB runs 40 yards down field to attempt a lead block for his RB, or takes a hit instead of sliding, the RB is more likely to fight for those extra yards, and the OL are more likely to make a great block at the 2nd level, and the WR are more likely to risk their bodies on a crossing route or a perimeter block.

Archived