Sean White: All the throws (and a couple of runs)

TitanTiger

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sean has a better arm & quicker runner. IDK because I did not follow AU in the 80s but Jeff Burger is the comparison I have seen from knowledgeable AU people FWIW.

Burger is an EXCELLENT comparison too. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quit a bit stronger arm than BCox. Moves in and out of the pocket better. Accuracy may be the only thing BCox had a chance to be better at. Not seen enough to decide on accuracy. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

We were talking about who would be the qb if Sean gets injured. That is a discussion of who would be best for our chances to win between JJ and JF3. You brought Sean into it. 

That is not true at all. Literally the quote

20 minutes ago, alexava said:

We were talking about who would be the qb if Sean gets injured. That is a discussion of who would be best for our chances to win between JJ and JF3. You brought Sean into it. 

But there was an evaluation with jj in a game that the starter sucked as well so saying that jj shouldn't be asked because of the results in that game will logically make anyone with a brain say well our starter looked bad that game as well. But when I say that someone like you will not look at the entire thing and say I just brought sw into it. Which is my point that when you start evaluating qb's all the qb's will be evaluated but really that's not what is wanted. But ok

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sean has a better arm & quicker runner. IDK because I did not follow AU in the 80s but Jeff Burger is the comparison I have seen from knowledgeable AU people FWIW.

I don't really like the Burger comparison, but I guess I can see where it comes  from. SW is much more physically gifted than Burger ever was. It was a different era of football then though.

On 9/13/2016 at 0:19 PM, ellitor said:

I was going to go with when did Kyle Allen transfer to AU & become a black WR as opposed to the white QB he was before.

It was interesting that Brent's buddy Jessie Palmer never corrected him.

1 minute ago, JFDTiger80 said:

It was interesting that Brent's buddy Jessie Palmer never corrected him.

He tried a couple times by saying his actual name immediately after Brent got it wrong, but at this point Jesse is basically spending 3 hours a week helping an old lady with her groceries and sometimes I think he just has to let her say what she's got to say.

As for who Sean will remind you of, Cole's Aaron Murray comparison is looking better all the time. Especially if Sean now has the kind of receivers that Murray enjoyed at UGA. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He tried a couple times by saying his actual name immediately after Brent got it wrong, but at this point Jesse is basically spending 3 hours a week helping an old lady with her groceries and sometimes I think he just has to let her say what she's got to say.

As for who Sean will remind you of, Cole's Aaron Murray comparison is looking better all the time. Especially if Sean now has the kind of receivers that Murray enjoyed at UGA. 

I would love for White to play like Murray. Murray had a nice run. I think we will know a lot more after this weeks game. A&M has one of the best DE's in college football and White will see pressure. I hope our staff is working on some quick throws. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hate him so much though....never would've compared him to one of the better SEC qb's of the era! 

But I like Palmer. Maybe not just like him but he gives Auburn more respect than most announcers. But when he's commentating it seems like most of the board dislikes him and I've never understood that. But maybe he trashed us a few times and I missed it.

I'm still worried about Sean knowing when to slide and stuff though. The better he gets the more important it is for him to stay healthy

13 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I don't really like the Burger comparison, but I guess I can see where it comes  from. SW is much more physically gifted than Burger ever was. It was a different era of football then though.

I'd say that you're right about the "gifts" between the two.  I think today's era of players (many of the good ones, anyway) grow up with a "football spoon" in their mouths.  ie: I heard of SW long before Auburn even signed him due to the news that came out of camps, and ESPN stories etc.

I can honestly picture Burger practicing with the old fashioned tire tied to a tree drills haha. Like you said...different eras.

However, my opinion only, you give SW a redneck accent and in many ways he's a JB clone....he's got the same swagger and grit of Burger.  SW maybe does have more talent but they play a very similar game.  Put JB in this offense or SW in that offense and I'm not sure you'd see any difference in either of them.

Plus, the more I watch SW the more I see the team seems to respect him.  Burger also had that respect.  'course, the way I remember it told, he could probably kick everybody's butt if he didn't have it so...

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But I like Palmer. Maybe not just like him but he gives Auburn more respect than most announcers. But when he's commentating it seems like most of the board dislikes him and I've never understood that. But maybe he trashed us a few times and I missed it

We were talking about this in another thread. My opinion of Palmer is changing. Not because he's showing Auburn a little more love, but because I feel like he's just better prepared for his broadcasts and he's getting more experienced. 

As '72 said, Stinchcomb is a guy who deserves our ire for being biased. Lundquist, too. (I don't think he's biased in favor of any given team year in, year out. He's just a company man who feels the need to prop up the perceived heavyweights and is very slow to adjust when the team that "should" win doesn't.) Palmer just struck me as a greasy goofball in previous years and- again, just my perception- it seems like maybe he's growing into that professional role more.  

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I hate him so much though....never would've compared him to one of the better SEC qb's of the era! 

But I like Palmer. Maybe not just like him but he gives Auburn more respect than most announcers. But when he's commentating it seems like most of the board dislikes him and I've never understood that. But maybe he trashed us a few times and I missed it.

I'm still worried about Sean knowing when to slide and stuff though. The better he gets the more important it is for him to stay healthy

Cole, I agree with you. I think Palmer does a good job regarding AU. He specifically said that a Sean White pass over the middle was his strength and White threw it like a laser. The most irritating is David Pollack. He hates everything about AU and it is obvious when he speaks.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'd say that you're right about the "gifts" between the two.  I think today's era of players (many of the good ones, anyway) grow up with a "football spoon" in their mouths.  ie: I heard of SW long before Auburn even signed him due to the news that came out of camps, and ESPN stories etc.

I can honestly picture Burger practicing with the old fashioned tire tied to a tree drills haha. Like you said...different eras.

However, my opinion only, you give SW a redneck accent and in many ways he's a JB clone....he's got the same swagger and grit of Burger.  SW maybe does have more talent but they play a very similar game.  Put JB in this offense or SW in that offense and I'm not sure you'd see any difference in either of them.

Plus, the more I watch SW the more I see the team seems to respect him.  Burger also had that respect.  'course, the way I remember it told, he could probably kick everybody's butt if he didn't have it so...

Based on the socks alone it is an excellent comparison (white socks pulled all the way up to the knee)

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Based on the socks alone it is an excellent comparison (white socks pulled all the way up to the knee)

Change that 12 to a 13 and.....

Image result for jeff burger auburn

Question though...  Who's that guy next to Jeff Burger there?  I kid...I kid...

War Eagle!

You can just feel Whites adrenaline when he is on the field. He wants to make sh*t happen. I think once the game slows down for him and the receivers gel with him, its going to get ugly. I pray we field a good O-line next year and he is not cursed like Brandon Cox was his second year starting. 

Lewis Grizzard "Auburn qb Jeff Burger in trouble for fighting and having a loaded gun. What's the problem? That is what I want to see from my Qb!!!"

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

That is not true at all. Literally the quote

But there was an evaluation with jj in a game that the starter sucked as well so saying that jj shouldn't be asked because of the results in that game will logically make anyone with a brain say well our starter looked bad that game as well. But when I say that someone like you will not look at the entire thing and say I just brought sw into it. Which is my point that when you start evaluating qb's all the qb's will be evaluated but really that's not what is wanted. But ok

You continue to make my point. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

You continue to make my point. 

Righttttt I'm sure I do, and you name mine. but let's move on you're not going to listen to me and I'm not going to listen to you either so let's drop it because it's just a trap situation for me. And in your case you can just go with the majority and it will be what it will be

Guest WarEagleSteve
3 hours ago, aubinvnam said:

Is a Brandon Cox comparison totally out of line?  He is smaller but he throws BBs.  I feel this kid will win a lot of games over the next three years on a level with what BC did..  WD

Brandon Cox was a statue (negative rushing totals every year he played) who struggled to consistently throw the ball downfield but was really really efficient at short to medium range (13-19 for 185 yards and 1 TD seemed to be his stat line every week). Sean White isn't that much smaller (2 inches shorter, same listed weight), but throws a better deep ball and runs MUCH better. 

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Righttttt I'm sure I do, and you name mine. but let's move on you're not going to listen to me and I'm not going to listen to you either so let's drop it because it's just a trap situation for me. And in your case you can just go with the majority and it will be what it will be

If Sean is injured, (right arm fracture) in practice before Saturday. Who is the starting qb for the foreseeable future?

1 hour ago, alexava said:

If Sean is injured, (right arm fracture) in practice before Saturday. Who is the starting qb for the foreseeable future?

No idea, but GM said JF3 is #2, so if that is TRUE, then I'd say JF3.  But who knows, he might alternate KJ in the wildcat and CC in the spinner for the rest of the year.  He could use JJ, but after the first sign of adversity, it will be ugly.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

If you were to say jj can't be because look at his performance like someone else did I'd say well that's not necessarily true because look at how the other qb took off and he did bad that game to. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Can't answer this question until we see John throw. 17.5 yards per carry is hard to deny, but Jeremy is more similar to Sean in style, so it would be less of a total shift in game plan.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Burger was a good QB and a generally scary dude.  Must have been one of the toughest we ever had play the position.  Sean has better wheels than him too but if he could win like Burger or Cox that would be a good thing.

SW really surprised me with his running skills. He is quick enough to make defenses respect him when he decides to run for some fun and some decent yardage. The kid reminds me a bit of the fiery red headed QB in the late 80s named Jeff Berger I think. SW may be somewhat quicker than JB.

I was watching the replay of the Arkansas State game and did any body else notice.... on KJ's second touchdown he ran in on the goal line from the wildcat SW was lined up to the far left as a receiver??

I just didn't notice he was still in the game watching the other night and if that was something Gus was regularly doing with KJ at wildcat... that is interesting for several reasons... we can keep all the guy's on the field to play faster and quickly switch to a wildcat if he chooses... also add a wrinkle cause there's a QB still on the field...

would really be interesting to also use the KJ wildcat package on the field when JFIII has a package, if he's not gonna pass as much, that would be a nice change up I would think.     

Archived