Sean White: All the throws (and a couple of runs)

TitanTiger

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needs to work on his touch just a little bit. There were some wide open receivers that he just overthrew or threw too hard. He will get more calm in the backfield with the more snaps that he takes.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I loved him on the draws.  Thought theyou were some of his best plays. Did a good job reading the D and anticipating when to get down or out of bounds. Loved it.

Will it work against SEC defenses? No telling, but he'll give it his all of its called and that is one thing I love about his game.

:34 mark of the video. Moves the ball to his outside arm and then protects it with both arms when he senses contact coming. He knows what he's doing outside the pocket. 

3 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I appreciate that, but he seemed to get happy feet against Clemson. Not that he got any chance to develop a rhythm. Rooting for you to be right.

Most QBs will against them as their starting DTs are as good as anyone's in the nation. Also our OL did not play well especially in the 1st half as they had rhythm issues too with the rotating QBs. Lastly it's tough to be calm & get in a rhythm when you know there's a good chance you will be yanked on the next play because of a crazy ass 3 QB scheme your HC concocted. I obviously can't know this as fact but I strongly believe if Sean played most of the Clemson game w/ no JJ while sprinkling in a bit more JF3 for speed options he would have played better as the game progressed & would have been enough to beat that Clemson team that night. I think he would have eventually exposed their young weakish secondary if he was truly allowed to be QB1.

I know it was a much weaker opponent but you could see Sean's South Florida swag as QB1 vs Arky St. He knew it was actually his offense last week & he played like it.

8 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

He's going to get better. Just be patient. 

You do realize this is AU fans you are talking to right?

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure that is an accurate statement for when Sean is healthy. Before this season the last time his legs were healthy was Arky last year. Sean actually has very good pocket presence & movement. Also I don't think we see JJ in a close game situation again as a true QB. I think the staff has learned their lesson on JJ in live games. My guess is if injuries occur Woody would come in before JJ.

dissagree here. JJ was not terrible vs Clemson. if Sean goes down within the next few weeks JJ is our qb. JF3 is being "brought along" as the #2. he is not there yet.. imo

1 hour ago, alexava said:

dissagree here. JJ was not terrible vs Clemson. if Sean goes down within the next few weeks JJ is our qb. JF3 is being "brought along" as the #2. he is not there yet.. imo

JJ was terrible in what his main job was which is get 1st downs on short yardage plays. He should have never been asked to anyway as it's known he does not like to run the ball. Also his INT on a drive JF3 got going was pretty bad too. JF3 is taking all the snaps with the 2s now w/ JJ not getting many snaps at all in practice. I think JF3 comes in if Sean gets hurt in the next few & we run heavy speed option plays.

Some of the things this game made me (re-)realize about Sean

hes pretty quick. I knew he could run but he made some fast decisions and they paid off. Having those rushing yards by his name will make tamu at least be aware of his ability to try and catch them off guard with the reads. 

Hes gutsy with some throws but usually tends to put them where only his receiver can get to them. Such as the Davis catch. And the td to Stevens which was beautiful. 

Sometimes he hesitates too much. His int vs Clemson and the sacks there and against arky state. Hopefully that is remedied with better oline play.

He also does need to work on his touch in some situations, missed td to cox vs Clemson etc

hes playing great ball for a Sophomore with fairly limited experience though. If he keeps it up and stays healthy, I think he'll be a hell of a season by the end of the year (of course a lot depends on the line)

13 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

3 overthrows. 1 underthrow. Nice low number for both. Good with his legs and smart enough to eat the ball when needed. Yep. Sean had a very nice game and I can't wait to see what he does going forward.

Two big drops as well. Three missed major over throws. Two awesome throws that stood out to me. The one of the run to Slayton and the dart to Stevens for the td. Great throws. The back shoulder and the outside to Stevens were great but the former were not every day throws. 

Need to get our guys more comfortable. I would say the only critique I've had is that Sean seems a little wound up at times, wish the staff would calm him down. He's excited about the throws, and might contribute to the over throws. He's a red shirt sophomore so we have that going for us. Receivers look great. Hope we keep working them.

I've been very critical of SW but I was pleasantly thrilled with his play on Saturday. My observations FWIW: The play calling actually fit the QB--and it worked tremendously. While White made some nifty runs scrambling and on designed draws, I don't think he has the initial quickness and certainly not the speed for us to have an effective option game (but that's alright). I think he can continue to pick up junk yardage each game and walk away with a sneaky 50+ yards each game. I'd like to see JFIII get 5-10 snaps a game running the option just to give defenses something else to think about. White looked much better on a couple of deep balls (a deep overthrow is much better than an underthrown ball). Great touch on the Hastings TD and wonderful job of keeping his eyes downfield and making a play on that second Stevens TD. If he can even make small improvements each week from here, then we'll have a chance to win a lot of games this year. WDE

Great highlights. I'm not going to call him a great runner or or anoint him as our QB for the future yet though.  Arky State gave up 371 passing yards and three TDs to a Toledo QB as well. People talk about the "wait and see" approach and they never use it. It's one thing to judge his mechanics, it's another to be talking about the future off of one film. 

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

I loved him on the draws.  Thought theyou were some of his best plays. Did a good job reading the D and anticipating when to get down or out of bounds. Loved it.

Will it work against SEC defenses? No telling, but he'll give it his all of its called and that is one thing I love about his game.

He also had some nice pump fakes on a couple of runs that allowed him to get another 4-5 yards.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

JJ was terrible in what his main job was which is get 1st downs on short yardage plays. He should have never been asked to anyway as it's known he does not like to run the ball. Also his INT on a drive JF3 got going was pretty bad too. JF3 is taking all the snaps with the 2s now w/ JJ not getting many snaps at all in practice. I think JF3 comes in if Sean gets hurt in the next few & we run heavy speed option plays.

I'm not trying to start and I won't really go into this and I'm just using this post as an example. But this is how the threads turn into other stuff. Because I don't necessarily agree with this statement. And I would use examples why, when I do that then clearly the majority of you would get agitated because the tone of this particular thread is to love on sw. So if I would post things that are factual but shows faults in sw play that would make most mad then I would be accused of raining on the parade or whatever.

So I say that to say if what is wanted is qb threads not to turn into jj vs sw stuff then the criticism of jj should stop as well. Because there are many variables to this and while I agree sw is the better qb, I think it's because jj was screwed and used as a scape goat last year and the Clemson game sw didn't have a better game than jj. They both had bad games but it wasn't either fault.

Just my opinion of course I doubt if certain people will listen, but some others might.

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

What is scary is that he was as close to perfect as most QBs ever get.  I look at the game and I think "massive room for improvement", then I see a 73.9% completion percentage and I'm like "holy crap".  It didn't look that good on the field. He just needs to work on his long passes and, as long as our line can give him time, we could have a great year.

I still think he better make what he can from this year, because Woody could bring another dimension that beats him out, or if we land Stidham, he could beat him out as well. I really don't think anything short of top 5 qb play guarantees him the #1 slot next year.

If he can have games like that against teams with good defenses I don't think he would have to worry about anything at all. If he can only produce against teams that have suck defenses then it will be this over again but he probably wouldn't be picked. I think if he has a battle against a good team and gives a signature performance that would be all the try out needed. And of course playing good in the bowl game is pretty important as far as the last thought of a player so that would help

15 hours ago, selias said:

It's also the kind of play his teammates notice.

True, but at what potential cost?  I'm guessing he weighs less than my 13 year old.  I'm all about the kid running the ball when he has an opening, but not so much for him as a lead blocker.  Could end up being a pyrrhic victory.  "Look at that warrior leading the charge for his running back taking on the big uglies.....but oh my, he pays the price!" is not what I want to hear a commentator saying this weekend given the state of our backup qb's.

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If he can have games like that against teams with good defenses I don't think he would have to worry about anything at all. If he can only produce against teams that have suck defenses then it will be this over again but he probably wouldn't be picked. I think if he has a battle against a good team and gives a signature performance that would be all the try out needed. And of course playing good in the bowl game is pretty important as far as the last thought of a player so that would help

Can't disagree with any of that. I honestly don't think we'll know where he is as a QB until October.

Just now, Woodstock Tiger said:

True, but at what potential cost?  I'm guessing he weighs less than my 13 year old.  I'm all about the kid running the ball when he has an opening, but not so much for him as a lead blocker.  Could end up being a pyrrhic victory.  "Look at that warrior leading the charge for his running back taking on the big uglies.....but oh my, he pays the price!" is not what I want to hear a commentator saying this weekend given what is waiting in line on the sidelines.

Apparently Gus and Rhett have had a chat with him about the importance of prudence when choosing to jump into the fray. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm not trying to start and I won't really go into this and I'm just using this post as an example. But this is how the threads turn into other stuff. Because I don't necessarily agree with this statement. And I would use examples why, when I do that then clearly the majority of you would get agitated because the tone of this particular thread is to love on sw. So if I would post things that are factual but shows faults in sw play that would make most mad then I would be accused of raining on the parade or whatever.

So I say that to say if what is wanted is qb threads not to turn into jj vs sw stuff then the criticism of jj should stop as well. Because there are many variables to this and while I agree sw is the better qb, I think it's because jj was screwed and used as a scape goat last year and the Clemson game sw didn't have a better game than jj. They both had bad games but it wasn't either fault.

Just my opinion of course I doubt if certain people will listen, but some others might.

I don't disagree with you but you do sound pot/ kettle on this subject. 

18 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don't disagree with you but you do sound pot/ kettle on this subject. 

I don't know what that means to be honest. But what I'm saying if you just want it to be sw is awesome thread (and he did play awesome) then focus on that. If you bring in jj threw a pick the first game it's only natural to think well so did sw. If you say jj was terrible at getting that yard naturally I'm going to think would sw had gotten it? The first game was on the coaches really but if you start talking about other variables then ALL of the variables is going to come out and everybody says all the right things when they are in the majority or don't care one way or the other but I have only ran into a few that don't get snippy when they are quoted and the person doesn't agree with them

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Great highlights. I'm not going to call him a great runner or or anoint him as our QB for the future yet though.  Arky State gave up 371 passing yards and three TDs to a Toledo QB as well. People talk about the "wait and see" approach and they never use it. It's one thing to judge his mechanics, it's another to be talking about the future off of one film. 

Saturday will tell a lot. Arkansas state was a good appetizer but now the honeymoon ends and the gauntlet begins.

Is a Brandon Cox comparison totally out of line?  He is smaller but he throws BBs.  I feel this kid will win a lot of games over the next three years on a level with what BC did..  WD

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know what that means to be honest. But what I'm saying if you just want it to be sw is awesome thread (and he did play awesome) then focus on that. If you bring in jj threw a pick the first game it's only natural to think well so did sw. If you say jj was terrible at getting that yard naturally I'm going to think would sw had gotten it? The first game was on the coaches really but if you start talking about other variables then ALL of the variables is going to come out and everybody says all the right things when they are in the majority or don't care one way or the other but I have only ran into a few that don't get snippy when they are quoted and the person doesn't agree with them

We were talking about who would be the qb if Sean gets injured. That is a discussion of who would be best for our chances to win between JJ and JF3. You brought Sean into it. 

5 minutes ago, aubinvnam said:

Is a Brandon Cox comparison totally out of line?  He is smaller but he throws BBs.  I feel this kid will win a lot of games over the next three years on a level with what BC did..  WD

Sean has a better arm & quicker runner. IDK because I did not follow AU in the 80s but Jeff Burger is the comparison I have seen from knowledgeable AU people FWIW.

Archived