Sean White: All the throws (and a couple of runs)

TitanTiger

Just now, ellitor said:

Because Gus was hoping he would catch lightning in a bottle w/ JF3 as a Nick 2.0 & because Sean had his struggles in Spring & Fall camps. Even though he was the best of the 3 he didn't supremely seperate himself with his play. Lastly I think Gus has that crazy 3 QB system idea conconcted for Clemson a long time ago & nothing or nobody was going to stop him from trying it.

Adding to this, I get the impression that Sean is one of those guys who gets a boost in his play from the adrenaline of actual game time. I don't know that Gus saw the Sean we saw on Saturday during camp.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not talking about all the negative nancy trolls that say those things about all our players. What I was saying is after his injury last year most AUBURN people worried about his durability. And probably for good reason. But as I stated he looks like he is in much better shape muscle wise. A lot of QBs don't muscle up, but if your going to run from the position in the SEC you better be able to take a hit. Remember NM was a DB before his QB at AU. He could take a hit. JJ  and Cam had size. I think as far back as the elite 11 SW showed his skill passing. Some think you have to have some great speed to be a DT QB but NM or CN neither one was real quick, probably 4.5 or 4.6 type speed. What they need is good instincts at the mesh and good fakes. NM was about the best at hiding the ball at the mesh. Sometimes even watching on the screen I could not tell who had the ball briefly after the hand off. I haven't really had a chance to see that out of JF3 yet. He does have speed but can he sell the defense on the play? Same with White, I need to see him be able to sell the fake. If he can he will successful in the run. He did scramble well last week on breakdowns but that is a whole different animal that the zone read. WDE 

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Because Gus was hoping he would catch lightning in a bottle w/ JF3 as a Nick 2.0 & because Sean had his struggles in Spring & Fall camps. Even though he was the best of the 3 he didn't supremely seperate himself with his play. Lastly I think Gus has that crazy 3 QB system idea conconcted for Clemson a long time ago & nothing or nobody was going to stop him from trying it.

Some players are practice players and some are just better under the lights. I would bet it had something to do with JJ being a practice player and SW being a better in a game. Ready to put Clemson behind us and beat A&M, focus on winning the West.

Just now, SumterAubie said:

I liked how he was lead blocker on Johnson's first quarter touchdown run.

Even if all he really did was pat a defender on the shoulder pad and trip over another :).  It's the thought that counts.

I'm sorry if I've missed it in all of the various QB threads, but has there been a discussion on snap count yet? That's something I was desperately hoping to see change from week 1 (where Clemson was getting off the ball and into the backfield with surprising efficiency) to week 2 (where it seemed like the ASU linemen were frequently jumping offsides and/or waiting for visual confirmation of a snapped ball, thereby slowing down their pursuit).

I was really happy with that improvement, perhaps more than any other specific change from game 1 to 2.

Could that be purely a function of the rhythm that a QB and OLine can start to get when their in the game together consistently and are getting momentum from successful plays? Do you think it's something they've been actively working on in the game plan? Thoughts?

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Even if all he really did was pat a defender on the shoulder pad and trip over another :).  It's the thought that counts.

That's the kinda play that really gets the announcers excited.  "WOW, did you see who was leading the way on that play?  That was little SW!  WHAT a COMPETITOR he is!"  Yeah, I like the idea of him lead blocking in that instance more if he's 6' 5", weighs two fitty and rides a scooter!     

54 minutes ago, bryanlooney said:

I'm sorry if I've missed it in all of the various QB threads, but has there been a discussion on snap count yet? That's something I was desperately hoping to see change from week 1 (where Clemson was getting off the ball and into the backfield with surprising efficiency) to week 2 (where it seemed like the ASU linemen were frequently jumping offsides and/or waiting for visual confirmation of a snapped ball, thereby slowing down their pursuit).

I was really happy with that improvement, perhaps more than any other specific change from game 1 to 2.

Could that be purely a function of the rhythm that a QB and OLine can start to get when their in the game together consistently and are getting momentum from successful plays? Do you think it's something they've been actively working on in the game plan? Thoughts?

I actually brought it up in at least 3 threads between the CU and ASU games.  I think everybody got tired of me bringing it up.... :dead:

But YES, I agree with you 100%!  I was very pleased to see some occasionally varied counts and it did get ASU offsides a few times.  It's amazing how such a simple little change can help your O-line so much.

Would love to see them cut down on some of those QB draws personally. I know its successful a lot of the time but we'd be in bad shape should Sean go down. Mix in some RB draws if you want to keep them honest. 

1 minute ago, fasttimes said:

White is great  on those draw plays too. he actually looks like he is going to throw on several of those before he runs. maybe that is not by design, but if it is, he does a great job.

2:01. Purely improvised. Puts the safety on the ground. Gangster. 

Here's some of what Pat Dye had to say about Sean White in a free article on another site:

Sean White played like we expect Gus Malzahn’s quarterbacks to perform. He threw and ran the football successfully and did a good job of leading the team. 

In my opinion the two biggest plays White made on Saturday night came when he was downfield blocking for the run. I can’t tell you how much that means to his teammates when their quarterback is eager to do that. 

I also liked how White got the yards that were available on a run before sliding to the ground when the situation called for it. He is a reckless football player, a controlled reckless I would say. He has got no fear on a football field. 

I think a lot of folks had a little bit of a false reading on White’s ability to run the football because he played after he was hurt last year in the Arkansas game. After the injuries he took some awful licks because he couldn’t move like he did last Saturday. 

As hard as that kid plays he reminds me of the way Chad Kelly does it at Mississippi and I don’t see anybody currently playing quarterback in the SEC who is more accurate at throwing the ball than Sean White is. He hit 17-23 passes last week, even after having one or two dropped.

White had just one really bad play. That happened just before halftime when he rushed a pass and overthrew a an open receiver in the end zone. I am sure the coaches noticed other things he needs to improve on, but overall his play was better than I expected. In fact, considering his overall performance running, throwing and directing the offense, I thought it was one off the better games we have seen from an Auburn quarterback in recent years.

I don’t know what White graded, but I do know if he continues to play like he did in game two he is going to be the type of guy the Tigers need on the field the next two games that will be physical battles vs.Texas A&M and LSU. What I saw from Sean White was a breath of fresh air.

33 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Would love to see them cut down on some of those QB draws personally. I know its successful a lot of the time but we'd be in bad shape should Sean go down. Mix in some RB draws if you want to keep them honest. 

This. QB draws. He looked like RW against Arkansas State. Will he do the same against LSU,UGA, Bama? We will see. Even Texas A&M. We will see. I do think he does enough to take what the defense gives him. I still do NOT think he should have too many QB keepers.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

This. QB draws. He looked like RW against Arkansas State. Will he do the same against LSU,UGA, Bama? We will see. Even Texas A&M. We will see. I do think he does enough to take what the defense gives him. I still do NOT think he should have too many QB keepers.

Hopefully our coaches are smart enough to know when we are playing a D that is going to give him room to run and when we need to keep him out of harms way, and instruct him accordingly.  Sean does seem to be the type to run into a fire instead of away from it.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hopefully our coaches are smart enough to know when we are playing a D that is going to give him room to run and when we need to keep him out of harms way, and instruct him accordingly.  Sean does seem to be the type to run into a fire instead of away from it.

I hope so too, but based on Gus's comments, I don't foresee it. I do agree with him that we are at our best when our QB is a running threat. However, we have shown that we can be victorious in other ways as well. I thought the running game and SW ability to throw, provided him more opportunity for running lanes.

If you take away Sean's 73% completion ratio, the calm under pressure that showed  and his confidence in the pocket to still keep his eyes downfield under duress and escape effectively for positive yards when needed...if you take those away Sean's performance was just average and we need better than average to win in the SEC.

>:D

I'm encouraged. Still concerned, but encouraged. I loved his mobility -- and I admit I was surprised. He was OK accurate but not deadly accurate.

Here's my concern: you could see the athlete gap in how open some receivers were and in the failure of their pass rush. A&M will suffer no athlete gap. White & Johnson have been poor when under real pressure. So I'm encouraged but still anxious.

16 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

He was OK accurate but not deadly accurate.

No offense, but  73.9% completion is about as good as a college QB gets against any level of competition.

That being said, don't disagree that we have to see what happens when he faces a real defensive line. His numbers were awful against Clemson, so the question is, was it the circus of a game plan or the pressure from the D that hurt him that game?

3 hours ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

That's the kinda play that really gets the announcers excited.  "WOW, did you see who was leading the way on that play?  That was little SW!  WHAT a COMPETITOR he is!"  Yeah, I like the idea of him lead blocking in that instance more if he's 6' 5", weighs two fitty and rides a scooter!     

It's also the kind of play his teammates notice.

1 hour ago, WarEagle231 said:

If you take away Sean's 73% completion ratio, the calm under pressure that showed  and his confidence in the pocket to still keep his eyes downfield under duress and escape effectively for positive yards when needed...if you take those away Sean's performance was just average and we need better than average to win in the SEC.

>:D

FWIW it should have been 78% Saturday.

55 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I'm encouraged. Still concerned, but encouraged. I loved his mobility -- and I admit I was surprised. He was OK accurate but not deadly accurate.

Here's my concern: you could see the athlete gap in how open some receivers were and in the failure of their pass rush. A&M will suffer no athlete gap. White & Johnson have been poor when under real pressure. So I'm encouraged but still anxious.

Not sure that is an accurate statement for when Sean is healthy. Before this season the last time his legs were healthy was Arky last year. Sean actually has very good pocket presence & movement. Also I don't think we see JJ in a close game situation again as a true QB. I think the staff has learned their lesson on JJ in live games. My guess is if injuries occur Woody would come in before JJ.

I loved him on the draws.  Thought theyou were some of his best plays. Did a good job reading the D and anticipating when to get down or out of bounds. Loved it.

Will it work against SEC defenses? No telling, but he'll give it his all of its called and that is one thing I love about his game.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not sure that is an accurate statement for when Sean is healthy. Before this season the last time his legs were healthy was Arky last year. Sean actually has very good pocket presence & movement. Also I don't think we see JJ in a close game situation again as a true QB. I think the staff has learned their lesson on JJ in live games. My guess is if injuries occur Woody would come in before JJ.

I appreciate that, but he seemed to get happy feet against Clemson. Not that he got any chance to develop a rhythm. Rooting for you to be right.

Archived